HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/7/14: 11:30am Press Conference (Holmgren to President, Hextall to GM)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
  #51
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Back when the kings had simmonds, there was word that someone up high on the kings wanted simmonds gone, saying he was a bad influence on doughty for partying.(ironic due to carter/Richard situation) a lot of us kings fans believed it to be hextall who wanted him gone. So just throwing it out there that simmonds might be trade bait with hextall taking over, unless his opinion on him has changed, or we were wrong about it being hextall.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
  #52
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,963
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
Down boy! Down!

I didn't mean it like that. I moreso meant that do you think Hextall had more to do with the signing, seeing as he is taking over? As in, Holmgren was still "GM" by label, but Hextall is the one really behind the scenes doing everything!

If so, I bet a lot of people are already fed up with him.
Haha. Sorry to overreact. I am just anticipating a lot of people this offseason defending Hextall for similar moves that would have gotten Homer killed or thinking of excuses as to why certain moves are ok now or what have you. That just seemed like the first one in a line of what I expect to be many during this first offseason.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
  #53
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Back when the kings had simmonds, there was word that someone up high on the kings wanted simmonds gone, saying he was a bad influence on doughty for partying.(ironic due to carter/Richard situation) a lot of us kings fans believed it to be hextall who wanted him gone. So just throwing it out there that simmonds might be trade bait with hextall taking over, unless his opinion on him has changed, or we were wrong about it being hextall.
I'm not sure I buy that considering Simmonds has been nothing short of a great teammate and leader in Philadelphia. If there are players partying hard in Philadelphia, you can be sure that everyone knows about it. It's kind of our media's thing.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
  #54
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love that people think Hextall is going to come in and get rid of all the players people don't like. It is possible for sure, but my bet would be that the Flyers hired Hextall so he could continue to run the team the way it has been run in the past. Perhaps they want to go in a different direction, but that would be surprising given that Homer is still there, Snider is still there, etc. He may do things differently, for sure, but I don't foresee the Flyers going from the team they are now to a team that is all finesse and speed simply because Hextall is at the helm.

As assistant GM you realize he had the ability to suggest certain changes to the organization, like getting rid of certain players? It isn't like he just sat there with his hands up his ass saying, "when I'm GM, I'm gonna get rid of X, Y, and Z."
Couldn't you apply the same logic to assistant coaching? Why would they hire Berube and expect change if he was assistant coach when Lavi was here? Being assistant GM or assistant coach doesn't mean you can get your way.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:23 AM
  #55
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I'm not sure I buy that considering Simmonds has been nothing short of a great teammate and leader in Philadelphia. If there are players partying hard in Philadelphia, you can be sure that everyone knows about it. It's kind of our media's thing.
I wasn't saying he wasn't a great teammate on the ice. But ya your right, your media would've been all over it lol.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:25 AM
  #56
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. Sorry to overreact. I am just anticipating a lot of people this offseason defending Hextall for similar moves that would have gotten Homer killed or thinking of excuses as to why certain moves are ok now or what have you. That just seemed like the first one in a line of what I expect to be many during this first offseason.
Yeah, your anticipation is basically what I was harping on. Homer was getting bashed by a lot for the Mac extension, but I am unsure the reaction would be the same if Mac was resigned when Hexy was officially in the GM role.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:25 AM
  #57
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
I was quite happy with Homer, but this is great news! I can't wait to see what Hextall wants to do with this team.

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:25 AM
  #58
MP92
Registered User
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Back when the kings had simmonds, there was word that someone up high on the kings wanted simmonds gone, saying he was a bad influence on doughty for partying.(ironic due to carter/Richard situation) a lot of us kings fans believed it to be hextall who wanted him gone. So just throwing it out there that simmonds might be trade bait with hextall taking over, unless his opinion on him has changed, or we were wrong about it being hextall.
May want to edit your post as that is libel. You Kings fans don't like when people suggest Richards and Carter did that so why is it ok for you to come here and do the same?

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:26 AM
  #59
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 500
I don't see how you trade Wayne Simmonds right now, short of a perfect package.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:28 AM
  #60
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Back when the kings had simmonds, there was word that someone up high on the kings wanted simmonds gone, saying he was a bad influence on doughty for partying.(ironic due to carter/Richard situation) a lot of us kings fans believed it to be hextall who wanted him gone. So just throwing it out there that simmonds might be trade bait with hextall taking over, unless his opinion on him has changed, or we were wrong about it being hextall.
Not saying you are wrong but Simmonds is also 5x the player here than he was in LA. I can't realistically see him being dealt.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:28 AM
  #61
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
May want to edit your post as that is libel. You Kings fans don't like when people suggest Richards and Carter did that so why is it ok for you to come here and do the same?
Honestly wasn't meaning anything by it. When I saw that hexy was taking over it was the first thing I thought about. I'm probably wrong, seeing as how's it's been a few years now and it was only a rumor at the time.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:29 AM
  #62
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,014
vCash: 500
I'm curious to see what Hexy thinks of the team. I like the change as homer has not been perfect not horrible guy.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:29 AM
  #63
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,963
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Couldn't you apply the same logic to assistant coaching? Why would they hire Berube and expect change if he was assistant coach when Lavi was here? Being assistant GM or assistant coach doesn't mean you can get your way.
To a certain extent, but I think it is a lot different to change an organization from a GM's perspective than from a coaching perspective. Pretty much every new coach is going to have a new system. Some changes will be made by Hextall, as can be expected with a new GM, but I doubt Snider would have hired Hextall to move away from the rough stuff kind of guys that the organization seems to love. It is certainly possible, but it just seems more likely that he was hired because Snider et al. know he'll continue at least in part in that direction.

We'll see.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:29 AM
  #64
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Honestly wasn't meaning anything by it. When I saw that hexy was taking over it was the first thing I thought about. I'm probably wrong, seeing as how's it's been a few years now and it was only a rumor at the time.
Yeah rumors can be nasty in that regard. Either way, I hate that rumors about Mike Richards were floated by our **** media and eaten up by many fans.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:35 AM
  #65
MP92
Registered User
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Hopefully Hextall continues the trend of building through the draft and doesn't blow things up.

I'm gonna laugh so hard when people are pissed at Hextall for signing a vet for too long/too much or makes a trade that people don't agree with. It seems like everyone on here was waiting for this day as if Hextall won't make any mistakes.
I don't think people believe he won't make any mistakes, because all g.m.s do (except for Stan Bowman) We just expect him to make less than Holmgren has made and hope that he brings some new view points on how to construct a team.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:36 AM
  #66
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,761
vCash: 500
Well i do hope he understands the CBA better than Homer did.

I dont think it will a philosophy change but maybe personal ones we were not thinking. Also be interested in if the way we draft changes. Will we still go for the heart two way players or go for skill type?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:37 AM
  #67
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Holmgren's tenure was an uneven one...very inconsistent in my book just like his teams It seemed he didn't really have a cohesive longitudinal plan to piece together a cohesive roster. It just seemed he was approaching things year to year. He was also too much of a gambler with his GM approach. It wasn't measured. Sometimes he would hit the homeruns but then if he didn't his plan B, C, and D would amount to an F. How much of all of this was in part due to Snider not completely empowering Homer to be his own man is debateable but I do think in the last few years Snider has been more of a negative influence. Honestly, what I want to see out of Hextall is a consistent plan on how to assemble a roster that competes night in and night out and is an actual contender not this cusp playoff team mediocrity we have been experiencing of late....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:43 AM
  #68
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
Yeah, your anticipation is basically what I was harping on. Homer was getting bashed by a lot for the Mac extension, but I am unsure the reaction would be the same if Mac was resigned when Hexy was officially in the GM role.
I think much of the criticism would be the same. He's still a poor defender on a terrible contract regardless of who signed the deal.

The only difference is this would be Hexy's first deal so there would be some patience with him while this is one of many bad contracts for Holmgren. The patience with him has run out for many fans.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:43 AM
  #69
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Holmgren's tenure was an uneven one...very inconsistent in my book just like his teams It seemed he didn't really have a cohesive longitudinal plan to piece together a cohesive roster. It just seemed he was approaching things year to year. He was also too much of a gambler with his GM approach. It wasn't measured. Sometimes he would hit the homeruns but then if he didn't his plan B, C, and D would amount to an F. How much of all of this was in part due to Snider not completely empowering Homer to be his own man is debateable but I do think in the last few years Snider has been more of a negative influence. Honestly, what I want to see out of Hextall is a consistent plan on how to assemble a roster that competes night in and night out and is an actual contender not this cusp playoff team mediocrity we have been experiencing of late....
That's Paul Holmgren: always going for the homerun, hit or miss,... Homer was known for his bold but risky moves. What Hextall stands for remains to be seen....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:45 AM
  #70
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 31,475
vCash: 500
Does this mean that there is no possible way we will ever see Leigton again?

__________________
10 feet on the west side is 10 feet on the east side.
Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:45 AM
  #71
MayonnaiseOreo
Registered User
 
MayonnaiseOreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: University Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I hear Hextall loves centers even more than Homer!
I've heard that he likes going after big Canadiens defensemen. Maybe we get Subban after all?

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:46 AM
  #72
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Does this mean that there is no possible way we will ever see Leigton again?
One can only hope. I think he was banished to the Land of Always Winter, somewhere in Siberia.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
  #73
renberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lewes Delaware
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Its hard to evaluate a GM when the owner comes in and tells him that he has to get rid of these guys (Richards and Carter), get that guy (Bryz) and another kid has Got-to-be-here. Sometimes it works out (Lindros) sometimes not so much.
All in all I'd say that Holmgren did a very good job as GM. He's been in the top quarter of the GMs in the game during his tenure. Player procurement is his specialty. Perhaps contracts, not so much but then again what was Lukko's and Snider's roles in them?

renberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:48 AM
  #74
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,187
vCash: 500
Pretty massive news. Still trying to take it in. Need to see what he was involved with on the Kings now.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
  #75
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by renberg View Post
Its hard to evaluate a GM when the owner comes in and tells him that he has to get rid of these guys (Richards and Carter), get that guy (Bryz) and another kid has Got-to-be-here. Sometimes it works out (Lindros) sometimes not so much.
All in all I'd say that Holmgren did a very good job as GM. He's been in the top quarter of the GMs in the game during his tenure. Player procurement is his specialty. Perhaps contracts, not so much but then again what was Lukko's and Snider's roles in them?
His poor knowledge of the CBA was his main problem I think. And yes there are people under him that should know it but when your boss has an iffy understanding of it, it causes problems.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.