HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hire Peter Laviolette

Old
05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I enjoyed the press conference thoroughly. It was nice to hear Poile say explicitly:

"We need a big time forward...I know that, and we need to find that sooner rather than later."

It may have been obvious to everyone here, but Poile has been notoriously ambiguous on this in public comments (e.g. "We think we're in a good place, but we'll look to see what we can find that's reasonable during free agency"). I really feel like he may put all the chips on the table for a top free agent this off season. If he can land Stasny, I would be ecstatic.
I wouldn't put Stastny and the words big time forward together. He's a solid center but he's only good for 20+ goals a season.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's a risk because Laviolette does his best work early. If you wait around to make changes and are looking 3-4 years down the road with regard to that, then it might cause problems. That said, the Predators will be playoff contenders next year, I'm sure of this. And glad Lavy got a new job. The man is not that naive, he'll know his well runs dry. There's a good chance that after Year 2, you will have already hit the high-water mark.

He got the Islanders into the playoffs too, at a time where making the playoffs for the Islanders was like the End of Days
We're probably a playoff team next year under Trotz as well, so Laviolette getting there isn't much of an accomplishment. We do need to move fast with him at the helm though. Chances are, in 3-4 years, we'll be doing this all over again.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Boston fan saying congrats on your new coach. I've followed Lavi's career since he played in Providence and always knew he'd be a great coach. I'm glad he's finally coaching a team I actually like. I think he'll do well if your team is willing to make an investment in the roster. Accountability will be huge.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
Good point, they should have skipped Finley, drafted Henrik. Wish I had thought of that but well done!
I'm just going to assume this is Poe's Law in action before my head explodes.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Nitrous Mafia

lol @ anyone thinking this is a bad hire

Laviolette is ****ing awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVfO6lY9ngM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1...be&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pllhGJieSxc

LETS ****IN GO

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:49 PM
klt2001

I'm still in the wait and see mode about the new coach/system but imo I'm all for change cause the status quo wasn't good enough. Hopefully this new coach and system will improve this team, especially if we add any new pieces by next season.

And if nothing else, hopefully he will make watching Preds hockey more exciting.....there is only so much you can take of boring lackluster hockey.

Last edited by klt2001: 05-07-2014 at 12:18 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:08 AM
maplepred

I'm excited about this move, welcome aboard PL!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:55 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
I gotta say I would have loved to see, just once, Trotz just go apesh** on a referee like that...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:53 AM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I gotta say I would have loved to see, just once, Trotz just go apesh** on a referee like that...
For real. Imagine Peter Laviolette after the Matt Duchene offsides goal! That line judge would have had to call his mom and priest after Lavy got through with him!

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:53 AM
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban

Quote:
Agreed! So ****ing ready for a fiery coach.

btw, you still owe me a beer

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 03:18 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
**** yes

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Agreed! So ****ing ready for a fiery coach.

btw, you still owe me a beer
Jog my memory, did I lose a bet?

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
I'm still in the wait and see mode about the new coach/system but imo I'm all for change cause the status quo wasn't good enough. Hopefully this new coach and system will improve this team, especially if we add any new pieces by next season.

And if nothing else, hopefully he will make watching Preds hockey more exciting.....there is only so much you can take of boring lackluster hockey.
I'm here with you on this. I hope he can break his mold of do great the first year then fall off the cliff.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:59 AM
hoosierpred

Why I think this is a good hire

One reason that hasn't been mentioned is that Laviolette coaches a system that is similar in forechecking styles to what the Preds already use. In that respect, we won't be changing something that the Preds are already pretty decent at. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the reasons that he wanted to come here. I do have a couple of concerns though. Laviollete likes having his defensemen pinch A LOT. If the higher forward is not defensively responsible, it really hangs the goalie out to dry. I hope our forwards can take the tirades when they eventually screw up, as it is inevitable that they will occasionally, because it can be a very difficult read. The other reason I like the hire is I really think it has the opportunity to rejuvenate a player like Stahlberg. Lavy really likes the stretch pass and if a forward is really willing to skate and work they will get opportunities.
One concern I still have is defensive zone management after the puck has been touched by us (breakouts). This in my opinion has been one of the weakest points of our team ever since Suter left. I look at a team like the Kings and you really can see how smart their defensive zone decision making is with great utilization of rink width and changing of the point of attack. It is a work of art and I confess to being a big fan of coach Sutter. Some combination of this and Lavy's system would make us really hard to beat.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Drake744
Reunited

vCash: 344
(Just realized my entire post should've gone in another thread)

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
You should listen to his interview on 102.5 from this afternoon. Long term big money was mentioned for a "big time forward" his answer was spot on with your quote and it seemed like he was not realistically interested in any. He did say the owners would give the money for the right guy. Sounds like if it does happen it will come from a trade.
I presume you mean my second paraphrased quote as opposed to the first "we need a big-time forward soon" one? If so, that's not quite as awesome, but I'm still bullish on Lavi's impact.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

New system. More fire out of the head coach. Lavi is a notorious bright flame that extinguishes more quickly than us Pred fans are used to. That said, he also has never been in an organization as steady/even-keel as the Predators.

Let's hope it is the perfect combo.

It is funny hearing Poile say these things (again). He fessed up to needing a forward back when Suter was making demands. Then he strangely changed tune the past two years. Now he is back preaching we need a forward. I guess it is too obvious not to notice.

A top 3 forward in the 60-70 point range of expectations needs to be brought in. Two would be ideal, but at least one.

We have the trips to trade. We have the cap room as well. If we hurt ourselves in a trade, fill the void with free agency just the same as you would a forward.

05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Predarat

I know there is concern about the short shelf live of Laviolette, but 2/3 of his firings were questionable. The firing by the Islanders was just downright idiotic by one of the biggest idiots in NHL GM, Coaching, and TV history Mike Milbury. Before Laviolette, it was 7 seasons of absolute futility. 15, 21, 22, several mid to high 20s win seasons and peaking with one season of 30 wins. Laviolette comes in and gets them to the playoffs two straight seasons after 7 years of suckage, For whatever reason that idiot Milbury decides to fire him. How this guy still gets paid for anything to do with hockey is beyond me. So then he goes to Carolina, turns it around fast, wins a cup, to playoff less seasons, a slow start and he gets fired. Fair enough, heading for a third straight non playoff season that would make sense. Then on to Philly, gets them to the finals his first year, 2nd round KOs the next to, no playoffs in the lockout season. The freaking lockout season and getting fired 3 games into the next season. That is Philly for you. He probably won't stay as long as Trotz but he may have more time in Nashville then some people think.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:57 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Anyone think some of the free agent forwards that didn't have the Predators on their list have changed their minds with this hirer?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
I don't think your team has the offensive capability in its players in order to support the system that Lavi implements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Great hire for you guys. You have the personnel to fit his system.
Internets make me lol

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah

Quote:

This and he's all about the Jam..so we should create some Heady Panic/ Dead/Phish inspired avatars with Laviolette on them

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Drake744
Reunited

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
This and he's all about the Jam..so we should create some Heady Panic/ Dead/Phish inspired avatars with Laviolette on them

I'm in. Also, Riverfront Station needs to make a shirt like this.

Old
05-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm in. Also, Riverfront Station needs to make a shirt like this.
Someone needs to get a license plate that says "Time 4 Jam"

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Drake744
Reunited

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Anyone think some of the free agent forwards that didn't have the Predators on their list have changed their minds with this hirer?
Ironically I thought about this yesterday, about two hours before we officially hired him. I feel like our "expansion" stigma is now gone with this hire. The Preds have always been seen as a cute little overachieving franchise but really has no history of winning to sell to potential free agents choosing where to spend a number of their prime years. Now, if a proven winner like Lavy thinks we're worth it, why wouldn't some players who wouldn't have before think the same now?

We may not have tangible success to sell, but if I'm a free agent and I'm offered a lot of money to play in a great city (in a state with no income tax), with a coach who's won a Cup, my key teammates would be guys like Shea Weber, Pekka Rinne, a maturing Seth Jones and Roman Josi, with a chance to be the man offensively in that type of system.........I'd think long and hard about it.

Old
05-07-2014, 11:49 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
I wouldn't put Stastny and the words big time forward together. He's a solid center but he's only good for 20+ goals a season.
He's not a sniper though so looking at his goals and saying "only good for 20plus goals a season" is sort of misrepresenting him. When used correctly he's a high end playmaker, who can tap in 20-25 goals. That's top line.

Getting him would be a huge coup for the Preds.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote