HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/7/14: 11:30am Press Conference (Holmgren to President, Hextall to GM)

Old
05-07-2014, 12:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What are the takeaway bullet points from the conference?
Main things I liked?

He wants to keep draft picks, young players (said wont trade them for a old vet), and wants to redo the farm team.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I will admit, I'll miss Homer's eye for college kids and undrafted players.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Sticking it to Pittsburgh with that comment about not waiting around for five years of number one picks.
Oilers more so but them too I guess.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
FlyersFan61290

Didn't get to see it but I'm liking what I heard. Let's see if he's true to his word. I'm a but more optimistic then I was but I hope the build from withing comment doesn't mean he won't go out and get some quality UFAs now and again.

Old
05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
hatcher

Mitchell,Greene,Regher,Carter,Richards,Gaborik,Wil liams,Stoll, are from trading away young players and draft picks that are on the Kings now. Bruins are made up of trades or free agents to make up most of there team also. Take a close look at Edmonton and tell me you wanna be like that.

hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:11 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatcher View Post
Mitchell,Greene,Regher,Carter,Richards,Gaborik,Wil liams,Stoll, are from trading away young players and draft picks that are on the Kings now. Bruins are made up of trades or free agents to make up most of there team also. Take a close look at Edmonton and tell me you wanna be like that.
What about Chicago?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:12 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Surely you aren't comparing the Flyers to the Oilers. They're in totally different positions.

I take his comments for what they're worth, his vision for this team going forward. You also left out some big players that were draft picks (Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Bergeron).

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 05-07-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old
05-07-2014, 12:14 PM
MP92

Quote:
But their core guys, like Doughty, Kopitar, Quick, Brown, ect are from within.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:14 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Nice way to kick the off season off should be interesting

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:16 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
I imagine he's more geared towards developing decent players that can fill in the lineup rather than trading picks for them and handing them huge contracts in their UFA years like MacDonald and Grossmann.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:16 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

So no Shea Weber?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:17 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
So no Shea Weber?
Or Bobby?

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
hatcher

Chicago tanked forever to get that team. Sharp and Hossa were a fluke. We pick 17 and we won't get much higher most of the time. Edmonton is a joke that they pick at 3 again but soon it will break out for them.

hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:20 PM
JCabranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
here we go.

Hextall gonna blow it up.

bye bye Giroux
From a Kings fan with no ax to grind. Congratulations to Hextall, it's what he wanted and it's well deserved. Be prepared for some lean years because your team is one of the oldest in the league and significant changes need to be made (but I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know) but so long as ownership doesn't create problems you guys will be a force to be dealt with in a few years. Just stay the course and please beat the hell out of the Pens and Rags any chance you get... that will be thank you enough for this Kings fan.

JCabranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:23 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Well Good luck to Holmgren in his new position. I believe he did a good job, and left the team in a much better situation than Clarke did.

Holmgren had his mistakes, but I believe he had more positives than negatives. It was just that the negatives where silly ones; to put it kindly.

If feel Hextall is going to get some preferential treatment by most fans. He is a fan favorite for a lot of people here, myself included. Lets just hope he doesn't need it!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:24 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
From a Kings fan with no ax to grind. Congratulations to Hextall, it's what he wanted and it's well deserved. Be prepared for some lean years because your team is one of the oldest in the league and significant changes need to be made (but I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know) but so long as ownership doesn't create problems you guys will be a force to be dealt with in a few years. Just stay the course and please beat the hell out of the Pens and Rags any chance you get... that will be thank you enough for this Kings fan.
It's strange to see a Kings fan who isn't talking **** with their nose up in the air about our franchise. Thanks for being respectful unlike the majority of your fanbase.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:25 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
That's not really true. We have 7 players over 30. Only 3 are under contract for next year.

Old
05-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Our team's AVERAGE AGE is one of the oldest. Our core players are young. There won't be any lean years.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:28 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Giroux, Couts, Simmonds, Jake, Schenn, Schenn, Gus, Hagg/Morin/Ghost, Mason, Read, Akeson, MacDonald, Laughton are not old.

Taking Kimo out lowers the teams average age.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
But their core guys, like Doughty, Kopitar, Quick, Brown, ect are from within.
While that is true, they all were drafted in years that they missed the playoffs. Quick was a later round pick so it is arguable that he would still be there, but Doughty, Kopitar, and Brown were years they missed the playoffs (Voynov too, second pick in second round). I try to point this out all the time and it seems to go by the wayside. These teams that are in fact keeping the players, are acquiring these players from high draft picks. It would be great to have Doughty and the likes on this team, but it would require missing the playoffs for a bunch of years, sometimes BADLY, then not trading those players. There is no ONE way to build a championship team. It needs luck (in drafting and trading). It needs, often times, a year or two of compelte failure to be able to grab a franchise player. It needs unknown guys to develop. It needs injuries to not happen. It needs to not run into a hot team at the wrong time. Simply holding on to players doesn't mean you'll win. Simply trading for players doesn't mean you'll win. If the Flyers are picking 20-30 every year, it is less likely that they will get a franchise defenseman or elite scorer without a trade or a signing. Yes, there are guys available in that range that turn out that way, and in later rounds too, but if you aren't picking in the top 5 or so, it is far less likely to get a Doughty or a Malkin or a whomever you want to throw out there. When you are picking in that range consistently, the way you get the elite guys is through trade. That is just how it works (or you get incredibly lucky with a Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk situation, where two players drafted in the sixth or seventh round turn into absolute super-stars).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Jray42

Quote:
Chicago tanked forever to get that team. Sharp and Hossa were a fluke. We pick 17 and we won't get much higher most of the time. Edmonton is a joke that they pick at 3 again but soon it will break out for them.
wat.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
PALE PWNR

I hope holmgren becomes more involved with the scouting side of things. That was always his passion anyway. Maybe not being gm allows him to do that. The man has an eye for talent.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Couturier Effect View Post
That's not really true. We have 7 players over 30. Only 3 are under contract for next year.
Yeah, many have said this and I think it's cause they just look at the average age. Certain guys like Kimmo and Streit really drive up the average. I'm sure Pronger still counts toward the average too.

Old
05-07-2014, 12:33 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Yeah, many have said this and I think it's cause they just look at the average age. Certain guys like Kimmo and Streit really drive up the average. I'm sure Pronger still counts toward the average too.
Gill too. Damn it Gill.

Old
05-07-2014, 12:34 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I will admit, I'll miss Homer's eye for college kids and undrafted players.
I'm sure he'll still be able to do that

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote