HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Islanders brass blaming Hollweg for Simon assault

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2007, 04:43 PM
lotus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Simon got what he deserved, and probably deserved more. The one thing i can't understand is the fact that people are making Hollweg out to be Mr. Innocent. He is a "heart and soul" type player. Running players from behind is a heart and soul player? On what planet. I watched the past 2 games and didn't see him hit one person from the front. He hit malone yesterday when the puck was nowhere near, and today he drills craig adams from behind. Hollweg has a repuation for running players from behind, and late. The most precious of all is Sean Avery commenting on anything that might be perceived as dirty.
Oh please the hit on Malone wasnt from behind, the only arguement you could make was that it was late, and it was as the whistle was being blown. He had no time to let up. Hollweg is sometimes borderline, yes. He blatantly knee'd garnet exelby, and has done things like that in the past. By heart and soul, most of us mean he plays the game to win and wont go out of his way to lose the game by taking a dumb penalty. He trys everynight to win the game by legal means.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:45 PM
dok101

Nolan's comments were spot on. Simon's actions were inexcusable. No doubt about that. Anyone who argues to the contrary, is not only delusional, they must be borderline sadistic.

That said, and after watching the replay over and over again, it is apparent, at least to me, that Hollweg milked it for all that it was worth. Simon's swing was analogous to a check swing. All of Simon's might was not there. If it were, I can't see how Hollweg comes out of that without any less than a fracture to some part of his face. He received two stitches and was back on the bench. He embellished it from the moment that the stick made contact with his chin. Did you see how his head jerked back violently? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me. If he had that type of whip-lash from the stick's impact, again, it is hard to believe that he comes out with but a two stitch nick to his chin.

Again, before you jump down my throat, I, in no way condone what Simon did. The intent to injure was there and he is being punished accordingly.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:54 PM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok101 View Post
Again, before you jump down my throat, I, in no way condone what Simon did. The intent to injure was there and he is being punished accordingly.

dok101, Totally not jumping down your throat here, and not blaming you for trolling, because I do like conversations with other NHL fans...

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 03-11-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Are these people blaming Hollweg for the hit directly before the incident? Logically, I am not quite sure how the action of Hollweg even matters at all. Hollweg didn't swing the stick, didn't get a penalty.

Old
03-11-2007, 05:33 PM
FLYLine24*

Reopened after deleted a dozen posts...next time warnings will be handed out.

Keep it civil and stay on topic.

Old
03-11-2007, 05:52 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Are these people blaming Hollweg for the hit directly before the incident? Logically, I am not quite sure how the action of Hollweg even matters at all. Hollweg didn't swing the stick, didn't get a penalty.
I'm not blaming Hollweg, I don't see anything that could have been done justify what Simon did.

It was just a nasty thing that went down, I'm sure Simon regrets it and is now paying for it.

Sadly, the NHL got hit with another "black mark"

Too bad no one noticed the first game of the home and home, that was a fantastic game

Old
03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
stranger34

1. If simon took the baseball swing everyone is accusing him of a lot more damage would be done

2. people who say that he wasn't punished enough... Ciccarelli went samurai and only got 10 games

3. Simon was more seriously hurt than hollweg

4. I showed this to a flyers fan but not really a hockey fan. Said it was vicious then laughed at hollweg saying look hes trying to draw blood. Watched it again and couldn't disagree.

5. I don't think Nolan's comments were fair, but I don't like how the league crucifies someone like Simon and lets sucker punches like Brashears go unpunished. In all fairness what Cam Janssen did to Kaberle is more indefensible than what Simon did and their suspensions are pretty far apart.

Old
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

If the league was serious about blows to the head, players like scott stevens would never have played. He would have been the most suspended player in league history for using his forearm with his "shoulder checks". I feel sorry for players today. The league, through badman, has taken the player policing out of the game.
You have all these ticky tack fouls being called by a ref who is so far away, while the ref right there by the play says no foul, play on.

Old
03-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I cannot fathom the idiocy in posts saying that Hollweg is "milking it for all it's worth" or faking being injured or any of this crap that is present in this thread.

I have never seen such crap being displayed about something like this.

Man alive, I've lost a lot of respect for a lot of people on this board I had respect for prior to this incident.

Not going to name names, but there is some seriously stupid **** going on here.

Old
03-12-2007, 05:46 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

This just in, Hollweg issues an apology for causing Simon such pain. He didn't mean to fall so hard from Simon's LOVE TAP! Hollweg, showing how serious he is will compensate Simon for his lost pay.

Old
03-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Larry Melnyk

Love these clueless Islander fans (not necessarily in this thread) sitting infront of a computer terminal and estimating what type of shot Hollweg took, how much he was hurt, and how he SHOULD have reacted...Talk about lame....Really, these guys should just go out and do a month long expereiment...Go out and Take turns swinging a stick at each other's face with intent to injure, using different angles, different force and different speeds, and publish the results after an exhastive study...Then we can tell NHL players how to react after they almost have their head takent off

BTW, a real question, is Scvmbag SImon really paying for this? It used to be that NHL players got alomost all of their pay before 3/4's of the season was gone or, at the least, before the POs...How bad will the hit on Simon's purse really be..?

Old
03-12-2007, 09:50 AM
GarretJoseph

I hope they blame Hollywood when they fail to make the playoffs also!

Old
03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Love these clueless Islander fans (not necessarily in this thread) sitting infront of a computer terminal and estimating what type of shot Hollweg took, how much he was hurt, and how he SHOULD have reacted...Talk about lame....Really, these guys should just go out and do a month long expereiment...Go out and Take turns swinging a stick at each other's face with intent to injure, using different angles, different force and different speeds, and publish the results after an exhastive study...Then we can tell NHL players how to react after they almost have their head takent off

BTW, a real question, is Scvmbag SImon really paying for this? It used to be that NHL players got alomost all of their pay before 3/4's of the season was gone or, at the least, before the POs...How bad will the hit on Simon's purse really be..?
I believe $80,000. He makes a mil per year.

Old
03-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
after watching the replay over and over again, it is apparent, at least to me, that Hollweg milked it for all that it was worth.
That's exactly what I thought, only it was Simon that faked the injury to me...looking for a penalty to be called and when it wasn't he took out his frustration with his stick.

Tick for tack...

Old
03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Nolan's comments were spot on.

That said, and after watching the replay over and over again, it is apparent, at least to me, that Hollweg milked it for all that it was worth. He embellished it from the moment that the stick made contact with his chin.
I disagree. I think you are wrong.

I think the fact that Hollweg is built like a brickhouse and has a neck like a tree trunk, is the only reason he survived the vicious attack by Simon, without any serious damage.

As for Hollweg's hit on Simon. Having watched the replay several dozen times, it's clear Hollweg made it a point, to not hit Simon in the middle of the back and drive him face-first into the boards/glass. He actually makes a slight adjustment to his body position and point of impact, just before delivering the hit. Hollweg's point of impact come in at the side of the body.

I think it's interesting you can assume Hollweg was embelishing and playing dead. Clearly the swing of the stick by Simon had plenty of power and speed behind it.

But if you really want to test your theory, I suggest you have one of your buddies (someone who is 6' 3" 235 lbs and an avid weight-lifter for the sake of accuracy) swing and slash you in the chin, just to see how much damage you receive and how long you lay on the ground, in the aftermath. Just for accuracy's sake.

Please report back your findings.

The above "suggestion" is not to attack you, bash you or wish you ill-will.

But to illustrate the point that, there's no way you can pretend (with any sense of accuracy) to know what Hollweg felt, how hard his body felt the impact and whether or not his laying on the ice was feigned. For those of us who have taken a wicked slash to the face, we know damn well how much it hurts and how long we prefer to lay on the surface till we feel better.

It's laughable anyone could downplay, minimize or dismiss the severe impact of a vicious slash, such as the one Simon delivered.

Old
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
That said, and after watching the replay over and over again, it is apparent, at least to me, that Hollweg milked it for all that it was worth. Simon's swing was analogous to a check swing. All of Simon's might was not there. If it were, I can't see how Hollweg comes out of that without any less than a fracture to some part of his face. He received two stitches and was back on the bench. He embellished it from the moment that the stick made contact with his chin. Did you see how his head jerked back violently? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me. If he had that type of whip-lash from the stick's impact, again, it is hard to believe that he comes out with but a two stitch nick to his chin.

Imagine getting a stick swung at your face...and the stick not even making contact. Dont you think you would have reacted EXACTLY the same way Hollweg did when he went down like that? You would have thrown your arms up and fell to the ice in absolute fear. Anytime something is coming at your face, you freak out.

Now add to it that he actually DID get hit in the face.

Old
03-12-2007, 12:52 PM
cjdv16

how many shifts/games did holloweg miss?

amazing considering he was "out for a minute". he too must have been concussed.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZ

Old
03-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

ZZZZZZZZZZZ indeed....Which goes to show, how tough Hollweg is and what a cowardly, lieing, wimp Simon is...Barely hit into the boards, embarrassed becasue he was planted on his arse by a munchkin, so he resorts to stick swinging and after the fact lies and excuses (which the Isles and some of their fans participate in..)

Old
03-12-2007, 01:12 PM
dok101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I cannot fathom the idiocy in posts saying that Hollweg is "milking it for all it's worth" or faking being injured or any of this crap that is present in this thread.

I have never seen such crap being displayed about something like this.

Man alive, I've lost a lot of respect for a lot of people on this board I had respect for prior to this incident.

Not going to name names, but there is some seriously stupid **** going on here.
Since you quoted something that I specifically said, I feel it necessary to respond.

People were getting all over Nolan for his comment regarding Hollweg and I felt that it was unfair for him to be referred to as "classless." And I gave my opinion why I felt that his opinion had merit.

I do regret using the "milking it" language, because, quite frankly, it was not necessary. I should have known better than to use those words considering the volatile nature of the subject matter.

For that, I apologize.

Last edited by dok101: 03-12-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old
03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
ZZZZZZZZZZZ indeed....Which goes to show, how tough Hollweg is and what a cowardly, lieing, wimp Simon is...Barely hit into the boards, embarrassed becasue he was planted on his arse by a munchkin, so he resorts to stick swinging and after the fact lies and excuses (which the Isles and some of their fans participate in..)
Yeah really I love this after the fact spinning. That's unbelievable.

I could have swore I saw the play happen live... but I am just realizing now that it was Simon who was the victim. Yup he got nailed into the boards by that faker Hollweg and got a concussion so bad he didn't know what he was doing, and he was not well enough to fly to Toronto for his hearing, awwwww.

Meanwhile that faker Hollweg is the real villian. He hit poor Chris a little too hard causing all this to happen. And he "milked it for all it was worth" - Yup he was back on his feet in about 2 minutes.... but that don't matter... he was still "milking it" the whole time.

The Islanders as a team and an organization should take a cue from the Rangers and drop this and move on before they look any worse.

Old
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:

Dude, THAT IS NOT THE POINT HERE. Simon did something disgusting. Thats the point. What Simon did was WRONG. Even you can admit that. I don't care if Hollweg didn't flinch after what Simon did, hes being suspended for HIS ACTIONS.

Why are we even talking about Hollweg faking an injury or not.

Old
03-12-2007, 01:58 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Dude, THAT IS NOT THE POINT HERE. Simon did something disgusting. Thats the point. What Simon did was WRONG. Even you can admit that. I don't care if Hollweg didn't flinch after what Simon did, hes being suspended for HIS ACTIONS.

Why are we even talking about Hollweg faking an injury or not.
i think your point that simon did something cowardless, wrong, etc. has been beaten to death. no one, including myself would question that. it was ridiculous and embarassing. nuff said.

what people, including ted nolan, are questioning is holloweg's reaction. we know now...

1. he wasn't unconscious (far from it)
2. suffered no broken bones
3. had a scratch on his chin
4. kept all of his teeth
5. didn't miss a shift or a game

so basically he wasn't injured at all.

he did a good sales job. just stating the obvious.

Old
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

I feel certain if this had been a Ranger player who comitted that vicious attack on an Islandewr player; we would see Islanders fans screaming in outrage and disgust at the Rangers' player's actions.

It would then be a no excuses moment for them. Nor would any of them be claiming their beloved Islander was "milking it" or "feigning " anything.

Reverse the roles, with same exact actions and outcome; and no Islanders fan would be trying to make ludicrous accusations of their dear Islander victim.

These guys are just grasping at the straws of rationalization.

Old
03-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
i think your point that simon did something cowardless, wrong, etc. has been beaten to death. no one, including myself would question that. it was ridiculous and embarassing. nuff said.

what people, including ted nolan, are questioning is holloweg's reaction. we know now...

4. kept all of his teeth

For all the things that have been happening on the Island since last April, this is the number one priority

Isles fans have to rationalize the demise of their season somehow.....

Old
03-12-2007, 02:08 PM
dave4

Quote:

4. kept all of his teeth

Conversing with Islander fans who continue to focus on Hollweg and not Simon, is like talking to Lassie when you're trying to find out where Timmy is stuck in the drainage ditch. They hear (or read) your words, but they're just not getting through.

It doesn't even matter what Hollweg did or didn't do after the attack...he was hit by one of the worst cheap shots you'll ever see regardless. Sounds like some people would only focus on Simon if he actually paralyzed or killed someone, or maybe then they'd still find fault with the other player.

Closed Thread