HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/7/14: 11:30am Press Conference (Holmgren to President, Hextall to GM)

Old
05-07-2014, 12:36 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 500
Keeping Holmgren around is a great idea. It's not like He and Hex are enemies here. Homer has a great eye for talent. Having that in the organization is a huge positive.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
hatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
wat.
Hossa almost signed in Edmonton for max dollars but chose Chicago at the last minute. What if he doesn't sign there?

hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Couturier Effect View Post
Gill too. Damn it Gill.
Totally forgot about Gill. Damn, now you just made me think of his slow ass in game 5. Thanks.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
While that is true, they all were drafted in years that they missed the playoffs. Quick was a later round pick so it is arguable that he would still be there, but Doughty, Kopitar, and Brown were years they missed the playoffs (Voynov too, second pick in second round). I try to point this out all the time and it seems to go by the wayside. These teams that are in fact keeping the players, are acquiring these players from high draft picks. It would be great to have Doughty and the likes on this team, but it would require missing the playoffs for a bunch of years, sometimes BADLY, then not trading those players. There is no ONE way to build a championship team. It needs luck (in drafting and trading). It needs, often times, a year or two of compelte failure to be able to grab a franchise player. It needs unknown guys to develop. It needs injuries to not happen. It needs to not run into a hot team at the wrong time. Simply holding on to players doesn't mean you'll win. Simply trading for players doesn't mean you'll win. If the Flyers are picking 20-30 every year, it is less likely that they will get a franchise defenseman or elite scorer without a trade or a signing. Yes, there are guys available in that range that turn out that way, and in later rounds too, but if you aren't picking in the top 5 or so, it is far less likely to get a Doughty or a Malkin or a whomever you want to throw out there. When you are picking in that range consistently, the way you get the elite guys is through trade. That is just how it works (or you get incredibly lucky with a Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk situation, where two players drafted in the sixth or seventh round turn into absolute super-stars).
That's a good point, and one Hextall himself brought up. Still, if you have a good scouting team, you can find the Girouxs, the Gagnes, the Mike Richards's, ect

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Akanon

Found this from /r/flyers

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
So if Hextall is in fact in, do we think that he may have had a hand in the MacDonald extension?
If so Fire him

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:38 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatcher View Post
Hossa almost signed in Edmonton for max dollars but chose Chicago at the last minute. What if he doesn't sign there?
That's not a fluke.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:41 PM
hatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Couturier Effect View Post
That's not a fluke.
Still what would Chicago be without him?

hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:43 PM
FLYERSFAN18

There is nothing wrong with trading picks/prosects/young players for established talent, as long as we aren't trading three 1sts in a row like we did for Pronger which wouldn't have been as bad if he was still playing today. Or trading a 1st for a rental like Versteeg and then trading him for a 2nd. I have no problem trading those picks/prospects as long as the return is going to be in our long term plans and we aren't trading 1st round picks 3 and 4 years into the future.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So for those of us who predicted Holmgren would step "down" at season's end...we were half-right I suppose since Snider is couching his ouster as a step "up" to a figurehead President role...or so some of us hope although I'm sure him and Clarke and of course Snider will be providing their third "inputs."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:51 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

I don't get why some of you guys hated the hire. He was highly sough after the last couple of years in a GM role. The Flyers being my second team have hope. Holmgren was absolute garbage for this team.

Now if the Canucks get Benning as well this offseason has already been a major success for me hahahaa.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
That's a good point, and one Hextall himself brought up. Still, if you have a good scouting team, you can find the Girouxs, the Gagnes, the Mike Richards's, ect
Yeah but those guys are few and far between (especially when you are fighting with 10 or so other teams in that area all trying to find the same guy). Possible for sure, and having good scouts helps, but the safest way to get those guys is to draft consistently outside of the playoff range. You can find gems in any rounds, but you are more likely to do so closer to #1.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
There is nothing wrong with trading picks/prosects/young players for established talent, as long as we aren't trading three 1sts in a row like we did for Pronger which wouldn't have been as bad if he was still playing today. Or trading a 1st for a rental like Versteeg and then trading him for a 2nd. I have no problem trading those picks/prospects as long as the return is going to be in our long term plans and we aren't trading 1st round picks 3 and 4 years into the future.
Yeah, it's fine in the right situations. There really isn't any situation where it's OK to ditch 5+ years of first and second round picks and prospects taken in those rounds, though.

I'm neutral on this move. Hextall said a lot of exciting things, but words aren't actions. We'll see how it goes.

I'm very glad Holmgren stays. I disagreed with some of his moves but his eye for talent is excellent. I believe he said he wanted to get back to scouting...Homer focusing on scouting without having to worry about other GM stuff can only be a good asset for the organization.

05-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Hiesenberg

Hextall says he's unsure about Emery, would like Timonen (if he wants to), but at a good price.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah but those guys are few and far between (especially when you are fighting with 10 or so other teams in that area all trying to find the same guy). Possible for sure, and having good scouts helps, but the safest way to get those guys is to draft consistently outside of the playoff range. You can find gems in any rounds, but you are more likely to do so closer to #1.
Eh. The Flyers have pretty consistently been very good at drafting from playoff position, better than almost any other team I would say. The problem is that Homer neutralized that strength by shipping out all the picks. Drafting from a PO position isn't what hurt/is hurting the Flyers, it's barely drafting in high rounds at all.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

building thru the draft. I like it. Been wanting this for far too long. look at the prospect pool he helped put together in Manchester. I know some think not having a good competitive team in the AHL doesnt matter but it does.
Having more then just a couple of guys to choose from matters. I know the Flyers have gotten better over the last couple of years at building up the prospect pool but it still has a ways to go. Hopefully Hextall isn't just talking for the sake of talking.
We tried it one way for a couple decades now its time to try a different approach. Snider be damned.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

and now after today a name change is likely in order haha

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Hextall says he's unsure about Emery, would like Timonen (if he wants to), but at a good price.

I'm not used to this level of transparency!

Old
05-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
and now after today a name change is likely in order haha
HolmgrenFullGone?

Old
05-07-2014, 01:04 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, it's fine in the right situations. There really isn't any situation where it's OK to ditch 5+ years of first and second round picks and prospects taken in those rounds, though.

I'm neutral on this move. Hextall said a lot of exciting things, but words aren't actions. We'll see how it goes.

I'm very glad Holmgren stays. I disagreed with some of his moves but his eye for talent is excellent. I believe he said he wanted to get back to scouting...Homer focusing on scouting without having to worry about other GM stuff can only be a good asset for the organization.
Thats the point I was trying to make. Not a big deal to trade a young player or a 1st to fill an important hole in the team like #1 LW or on defense as long as the player we receive in return will be here a while and fits a need.

I agree with the rest of your post as well. Excited about what Hextall said, but will be more excited when I see it in practice.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

ohhh ree-hee-heely now?

During his press conference, Holmgren said that “all hockey decisions are Hexy’s,” and he is there to advise make sure it works financially, which was part of Luukko’s duties, as well.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
ohhh ree-hee-heely now?

During his press conference, Holmgren said that “all hockey decisions are Hexy’s,” and he is there to advise make sure it works financially, which was part of Luukko’s duties, as well.

Oh geez. Well with any luck Hextall will at least fire supposed CBA brain-trust Hanrahan, who seems incapable of following simple instructions or even holding a calculator right-side-up.

Old
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So why do you think Homer's going to do as a bad job as president?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatcher View Post
Still what would Chicago be without him?
Im confused. What are you argueing here? Homer should of stayed? Trading young players for old is the right path? Hexy should constantly trade many players each season?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 01:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So why do you think Homer's going to do as a bad job as president?
I can see what hes saying. Homers "financial" awareness isnt the best. He better finally read the cba

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote