HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lundqvist Named Player of the Week. Vezina? (merged)

Old
03-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I thought this was a thread about me
I have to admit I thought the same thing lol.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
As much as I've enjoyed Rangers hockey over the past several weeks, I think it's painfully obvious that without Henrik we'd be nowhere near 8th and looking up. And honestly, I don't think even Brodeur or Hasek would be able to pull off what he's been pulling off game in and game out since Xmas.

I watch him closely every game, and I realize that he has already become the best goalie to ever play for NYR. The stats and the records will come, barring some unforseen injuries (I'm biting my own tongue as I type this), but his talent and will to compete is remarkable.

Has there been a better goalie in the league since Xmas?

A case could be made for Nabokov, who's been on an absolute tear lately, but San Jose has a LOT more to offer their goalie in terms of defense and scoring support.

U lost all cred with me by saying he is alreay the best goalie ever to play for the RAngers. Look up in the rafters and thats says all that needs to be said.

Hasek? He's been solid, but his W's and GAA are largely the Wings' overall excellence as a team.

Brodeur? Having another terrific year. However, much like Hasek, his team is doing half his job for him.

Kipper and Turco have been relatively inconsistent.

Luongo has been terrific as well with a mediocre squad, and I expect him to be a finalist, but he just isn't quite as good.

Honestly, I firmly believe that despite having a rough couple of months in the beginning of the season, Henrik deserves a very serious look for Vezina. I cannot think of another goalie who has been more crucial to his team's success.

look up in the rafters and thats says otherwise. Ritcher and Eddie were both better then Hank and please don't say after one season a playoff series loss and not making the playoff( very possible) that he is the greatest Ranger goalie ever

Last edited by Dagoon44: 03-12-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: trying to state it nicer
Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Goalies having better seasons than Lundqvist:

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Ray Emery
JS Guguere
Rick Dipietro
Mikka Kiprusoff
Call it a long shot, but by the end of the season I think Lundqvist's stats will edge out Emery's (recent slump), Dipietro's and possibly Kiprusoff's (also in slump). Giguere has amazing stats but he also has an amazing defense in front of him.

Anyway, not this season. As important as he has been, those first few months cost him any chance of winning anything. Hopefully he'll start out better next season

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Ola

I think Luongo still is a bit more solid then Lundqvist. Lundqvist got a bit more explosive lateralmovement then him, and are a bit better down low, but Luongo have been more solid upfront and I give him a slight edge.

Brodeur got the experience. He have also had a bunch of questionble games, but have still been really strong.

Though Id like to see Lundqvist among the 3, defenitly.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

LUNDQVIST NAMED NHL'S FIRST STAR OF THE WEEK:
Quote:
FIRST STAR—HENRIK LUNDQVIST, G, NEW YORK RANGERS

Lundqvist posted a 3-0-1 record in four games with a 1.43 goals-against average and .948 save percentage as the Rangers (34-27-8, 76 points) moved into the eighth playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Lundqvist posted consecutive victories over the New York Islanders, making 29 saves in a 2-1 home shootout victory March 5 and 30 stops in a 2-1 win at Long Island March 8. He made 20 saves in a 3-2 overtime loss at Pittsburgh March 10 and finished the week by stopping 30 of 31 shots and both shootout attempts in a 2-1 decision over Carolina March 11. Lundqvist is 8-2-4 in his past 14 games, recording a 1.65 GAA and a .935 save percentage in that span.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:29 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
look up in the rafters and thats says otherwise. Ritcher and Eddie were both better then Hank and please don't say after one season a playoff series loss and not making the playoff( very possible) that he is the greatest Ranger goalie ever
How can you say they were better than him if he hasn't even finished his second season? Just as you can't claim Lundqvist is better it's absolutely foolish to say Richter was better this early. You're point is just as invalid as his then

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:36 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
absofreakinglutely

i'm sorry to break it to you guys.. but as much as i hate the man, brodeur has the vezina locked up.. check out his stats if you think he doesn't

and yeah there is just no way crosby does not get MVP this year
Marty is on pace for 45 wins (a career high when alot of folks thought he was starting on the down-side of his career) He's on pace for his best Save Percentage in 10 years which is saying something when find out that he's also on pace to face more shots this year than he has in any year previous to this one.

And to top that all off, his GAA of 2.14 is currently below his career average.

He's showing that alot of the Devils past success has not been the system, but rather a system that was solid and goalie that was better.

I'm not a fan of his by any stretch, but he closed out the voting weeks ago. and that is also taking into consideration the career year that Roberto is having right now. To me it's still not even close.

Sid should not be MVP, that team is still very very talented without him in the line-up and still a PO team in my opinion.

Having a great year no question, but as the 2nd half rolled around, the pace he was on subsided significantly.

But that's just one person's opinion

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Fletch

Chosen...

consistency is...

October: 2.70, .909
November: 2.13, .920
December: 1.69, .939
January: 1.80, .938
February: 2.22, .919

This is over 61 games...I'd guess if you did a median of his GAA, to account for those outlier games (high and low), you'd come up with some consistency there too.

As for his system...I was always a critic of Brodeur for the same reasons as many, but stopped years ago because he keeps going out there for 70 games per season and gets the job done. There may only be a few goalies that would match his success in the same situation, and even less who could do it for the period in which he has done it. Pains me to say it, but the guy just gets the job done. He makes tough saves, easy saves, and saves at the right time. Three Stanley Cups and a long string of playoff bids also, and he's been one constant, while coaches have changed and the players in front of him have changed.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
McDonagh27

Congrats to Henke on winning the 1st star of the week.. About time he gets some recognition this year!!!

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Fletch

pld...

at this point, you almost have to give it to Sid. From basement dweller to playoff contender, and here you have the league's leading scorer...other players on that team do not get to be as good if Sid's not there. Fleury would look ordinary and Malkin would be facing more attention. Not a fan of his, but he's been amazing.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Lundqvist has been great, but you have to give Marty all his due this year...12 shutouts and counting...that is amazing.

Much is said of the Devils and their team defense, but of all the recent Devil squads over the last 10 years:

Rafalski-White
Martin-Oduya
Lukowich-Greene/Hale

is NOT the most impressive defense they have boasted.
I love Oduya's game.

That top 4 is just fine, with Rafalski being light years ahead of anything we have.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
theduke35

i have to chime in here, im a huge ranger fan but ill give credit to where credit is due, broduer is one of the best in the league and desearves the venzina. But i do have to say that alot of credit goes to their team defense, he maybe faces 3-4 quality chances a game, while most goalies face twice that. Brouder is a great goalie but i think alot of his stats and shutouts are due to mainly the defense that plays in front of him basically throughout most of his career. in my honest opinion i think if you put any other #1 goalie in his place theyll do just as good maybe a lil worse. I always believed that Richter was a better goalie than broduer, yes broduer has better stats but look at the players that were on those teams and the system that was implimented on both sides, ridiculously in favor to brouder. Put richter in that spot he had more wins and better stats.

theduke35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Ola

pld- I defenitly don't feel that Brodeur closed out the voting weekes ago.

NJD's defense are the thightest in the league. I am pretty confident that Luongo would have been able to be atleast as good in NJ as Marty have been this year. Luongo have done a heck of a job for Van in a really good Western Conf.

Old
03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Ola

One big diffrence between Luongo, Brodeur, and even older guys like Bulin-wall, are big blast from the blueline, or a few stepps in.

These guys have much more experience here, if they got a free lane they are so confident that they will make the safe.

Lundqvist still gets a bit eager in thoose situations, and aren't able to stay as calm. Though thats defenitly something he will imrpove with time.

Old
03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
chosen

Fletch

Lundqvist:

October 3.60 .878
November 2.28 .922
December 3.14 .903
January 2.03 .921
February 1.97 .922
March 1.73 .939

Toss out October and Lundqvist is more consistent. Brodeur has more shutouts and games where he gets strafed. Lundqvist's efforts have been more consistent.

I'm not saying Lundqvist deserves the Vezina but I also feel he has been the better goatender since November.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:05 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
I think the most accurate way to rate goalies (given the stats available) is the number of saves they make per goal they let in. I know this doesn't take into consideration the quality of the shots but that isn't available via stats. Henrik is no where near the top of the group discussed.

"Name" "Goals Against" "Saves" "Saves per Goal Against"
Brodeur 143 1739 12.16
Luongo 147 1688 11.48
Giguere 106 1217 11.48
Emery 115 1301 11.31
DiPietro 146 1632 11.18
Kiprusoff 150 1661 11.07
Lunqvist 137 1421 10.37

phishman3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
pld- I defenitly don't feel that Brodeur closed out the voting weekes ago.

NJD's defense are the thightest in the league. I am pretty confident that Luongo would have been able to be atleast as good in NJ as Marty have been this year. Luongo have done a heck of a job for Van in a really good Western Conf.
what exactly is that saying? absolutely nothing

its all about results, and the bottom line is that whiney brat in NJ has put down better numbers

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

What does "saves per goal against" tell you that save percentage doesn't?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:13 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
holy crap I missed that.. you are right and yes credability was certainly lost there.

I never saw Eddie play but Richter is by far the best goaltender I've ever seen wear a Rangers jersey. This is Lundqvists second season and sure he is very good but until I see him carry this team in the playoffs or keep us in games for a decade plus he is not getting that distinction.

Old
03-12-2007, 03:13 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
frequency of each goal?

Old
03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
frequency of each goal?

Okay, so if Lundqvist has a .900 save percentage, doesn't that mean he lets up 1 goal every 10 shots?

Old
03-12-2007, 03:18 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Okay, so if Lundqvist has a .900 save percentage, doesn't that mean he lets up 1 goal every 10 shots?
good point, maybe one is more of a broad range.. for instance lundqvists .900 save percentage means he gives up 100 goals for every 1000 shots

i'm just playing devils advocate here

Old
03-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
percent is by defeniton 1/100 (per cent=100). If you got a 90 in saving percent, you are saving 90 of 100 shots. Saves per goal would give you a number below 1. Like 0.9.

So basically its the exact same thing.

Old
03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I understand... however, the stat is really just a reversal of a stat we have already. Personally, it makes more sense to talk about what percentage of shots a goalie stops rather than how often they let in a goal.

The other thing with that stat: it's different to allow 1 goal every 12 shots when you're only facing 24 per game than it is to allow 1 goal every 10 shots when you're facing 30 shots a game. That's a variable that is not taken into account that I think is important.

Old
03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Ola

Quote:
what exactly is that saying? absolutely nothing

its all about results, and the bottom line is that whiney brat in NJ has put down better numbers
You could be right, I don't know what the writers are thinking, I mean Thornton got it last season...

Though for me Brodeurs stats are very marginally better. Luongo got 0.920 and Marty 0.924 for example.