HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hire Peter Laviolette

Old
05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Anyone think some of the free agent forwards that didn't have the Predators on their list have changed their minds with this hirer?
I think this is another underrated positive of this hire. Someone looking for a place to put up big numbers has to think about looking here now.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
So much is made out of the fact that we have guys like Weber and Josi on the blue line and Rinne in net, which should help shoulder some of the offensive style Lavy likes to play. But here's a question....would we have had a worse record this past season (with Rinne out 51 games) with Trotz or Lavy?

I love the hire so this isn't a question slanted one way or the other, just curious

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 02:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
So much is made out of the fact that we have guys like Weber and Josi on the blue line and Rinne in net, which should help shoulder some of the offensive style Lavy likes to play. But here's a question....would we have had a worse record this past season (with Rinne out 51 games) with Trotz or Lavy?

I love the hire so this isn't a question slanted one way or the other, just curious
Might have been a bit worse this season but I think we would have seen better growth from Smith, Wilson, Forsberg, etc.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 04:59 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
He's not a sniper though so looking at his goals and saying "only good for 20plus goals a season" is sort of misrepresenting him. When used correctly he's a high end playmaker, who can tap in 20-25 goals. That's top line.

Getting him would be a huge coup for the Preds.
The Preds already have guys that can get 20-25 goals in a season. Why not go after someone whether it be free agency or trade that can put up 30-35 or 35-40 a season?

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
The Preds already have guys that can get 20-25 goals in a season. Why not go after someone whether it be free agency or trade that can put up 30-35 or 35-40 a season?
Who exactly are these 35-40 goal scorers? Via trade, the cost would be exorbitant; more than we could land without Josi at least in the package. That leaves free agency and there aren't a whole lot of options there:

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

Vanek is the first to come to mind, but, if he doesn't stay in the most prestigious hockey market in the world, MIN has already said they'll just throw money at him and he has a house there. But yes, he fits the bill and I would be happy to have him come here.
Iginla is over the hill and would never come here
Cammalleri has peaked at 39 goals, but is highly inconsistent and misses about 25% of games in any given season
Heatley peaked at 50, but god no on this for so many reasons

The list keeps going. Frankly my realistic, top picks are:

Paul Stasny for reasons mentioned earlier
Radim Vrbata has peaked at 35 goals, and can be a somewhat inconsistent, but he is also a lethal shooter (especially against us) and that's something we could use. Bit older at 32, but I don't think he's expecting a career, 7-year deal at this point, and he's pretty cheap (~$3M AAV on last deal). No idea on his loyalty factor to PHX though.
Derek Roy is in a career trough, but I think he has some upside potential with sufficient playing time and a change of scenery. Also would be fairly cheap given age and recent performance.

This is not a comprehensive analysis, but I just don't think a consistent 30-40 G scorer is going to happen. I think you're going to have to settle for someone in the 20-30 range and hope Smith continues his trajectory while Wilson revives a career that may be ending in Nashville if he doesn't get it together:

http://section303.com/poile-to-colin...ctations-52631

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
1.) Look at how may of those guys there was this season, not really all that many. I think only 4-5 broke 35 goals, and I think there was only 2 or 3 that broke 40.

2.) Just how many teams are willing to trade these guys? You are talking about Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, and Stamkos territory. To get one of those guys is going to cost you a guy equally as good, and if they don't really want to move them it probably costs more.

3.) Finally, there is maybe one (if you wanna argue Vanek) 30+ goal scorer that will be a FA, they just don't generally hit the market, unless there is a reason for it.

Do the Preds need one? Sure we do, but those guys are generally gotten by drafting them, and to get them that generally means really stinking it up for a year or two. Those type of players don't grow on tree's.

That said, I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I am excited to see what will happen. At least we won't be sitting around arguing about whether the coach is the reason a guy can't put numbers up. For guys like Wilson, this is their chance to prove the issue wasn't all them, that some of it was Trotz. However, that doesn't mean that was the case, and we could end up finding out that they just don't have it.

Just reading more and more quotes, I think its becoming apparent that Poile and Trotz were definitely butting heads on players. I think ultimately that is why Trotz is gone. Whether they were good signings or not, Poile was tired of signing guys only to see them benched or thrown on a 3rd/4th line.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Easier said than done. With scoring down in the league overall these types of players are even harder to come by let alone trade for. 10 years ago scoring 50+ was deemed elite. Now you have to be pretty damn good to even get 30-35+. With another collapse by SJ, I wonder if the preds would be able to pry away Marleau. Pavelski too but I think that would be a bit too optimistic.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:45 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
if one is available and will come here, great... but if not you can still get a lot of mileage if you add two guys who are going to score 20-25.

in 2011-12 we had a great offensive season(8th in the league in goals) but we only had two guys with more than 20 goals... but we had 8 guys with 15 or more.

this past year we had 4 guys with 20 or more but only 5 with 15 or more... so pick up two 20 goal guys, and have Lavis coaching/style bring Wilson up to 20, and throw them in with the four 20+ guys from last year and we will be dramatically improved

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Armourboy

I just don't see this year being the season that you can convince some FA to come here just because of a coaching change. I could be dead wrong on that, but I doubt it. I think it will be the second year where that could happen, especially if some of the young guys step up and it looks like Lavi has some magic going.

Who knows just exactly what perception change this may have for players. Most of them are kids at this point.

Old
05-07-2014, 07:12 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Laviolette said in his phone conference that Smith has "Dynamic" offensive upside

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

No, he is a polished turd.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:16 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No, he is a polished turd.
Hah same thing popped in my head..

Laviolette is wrong

Old
05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
bdub24

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Hah same thing popped in my head..

Laviolette is wrong
Yeah, what does he know. Like he's won anything or is known for evaluating and maximizing offenses. I love you guys.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:59 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub24 View Post
Yeah, what does he know. Like he's won anything or is known for evaluating and maximizing offenses. I love you guys.
I was being sarcastic

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic

I love Smittyyyy

Old
05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
bdub24

Quote:
I was being sarcastic

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic

I love Smittyyyy
I was reinforcing your sarcasm for sure! I am super pumped to see what he does with a risk taker like Laviolette

Old
05-07-2014, 08:31 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub24 View Post
I was reinforcing your sarcasm for sure! I am super pumped to see what he does with a risk taker like Laviolette
Same here! I haven't been this hyped in 2-3 years for hockey. A completely new style and strategy of playing. Something we have never had. And an offensive strategy at that. So so pumped.

I'm sure Laviolette and Poile had conversations about the roster the youngsters in the system and potential moves to be made in the future. I have a feeling we will have a big new name on our team come October.

Old
05-07-2014, 08:48 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
I know there is concern about the short shelf live of Laviolette, but 2/3 of his firings were questionable. The firing by the Islanders was just downright idiotic by one of the biggest idiots in NHL GM, Coaching, and TV history Mike Milbury. Before Laviolette, it was 7 seasons of absolute futility. 15, 21, 22, several mid to high 20s win seasons and peaking with one season of 30 wins. Laviolette comes in and gets them to the playoffs two straight seasons after 7 years of suckage, For whatever reason that idiot Milbury decides to fire him. How this guy still gets paid for anything to do with hockey is beyond me. So then he goes to Carolina, turns it around fast, wins a cup, to playoff less seasons, a slow start and he gets fired. Fair enough, heading for a third straight non playoff season that would make sense. Then on to Philly, gets them to the finals his first year, 2nd round KOs the next to, no playoffs in the lockout season. The freaking lockout season and getting fired 3 games into the next season. That is Philly for you. He probably won't stay as long as Trotz but he may have more time in Nashville then some people think.
The deal on Long Island was that some of the vets didn't like his style of holding people accountable across the board and complained to Milbury. Jason Blake was apparently the biggest complainer.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
The deal on Long Island was that some of the vets didn't like his style of holding people accountable across the board and complained to Milbury. Jason Blake was apparently the biggest complainer.
One thing I hate about the sports world as a profession, no one has the balls to tell the players to shut up and do your job.

Old
05-07-2014, 09:27 PM
bdub24

Quote:
Same here! I haven't been this hyped in 2-3 years for hockey. A completely new style and strategy of playing. Something we have never had. And an offensive strategy at that. So so pumped.

I'm sure Laviolette and Poile had conversations about the roster the youngsters in the system and potential moves to be made in the future. I have a feeling we will have a big new name on our team come October.
I'm with you. I expect the fact the Laviolette is here, that we are able to attract a solid offensive talent this year.

Old
05-07-2014, 09:29 PM
AEM6729

I'm late to the party and just read all 9 pages of this thread and I just have to say:

1) I'm shocked that nobody mentioned jam until the second page.

2) There needs to be way more discussion about jam.

3) If Lavy gets us as far in the playoffs as he has with all his other new teams and convinces our players to rip their hearts out of their ****ing chests every night, I'll be happy and won't care at all if he flames out in a couple years.

4) JAM.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem6729 View Post
i'm late to the party and just read all 9 pages of this thread and i just have to say:

1) i'm shocked that nobody mentioned jam until the second page.

2) there needs to be way more discussion about jam.

3) if lavy gets us as far in the playoffs as he has with all his other new teams and convinces our players to rip their hearts out of their ****ing chests every night, i'll be happy and won't care at all if he flames out in a couple years.

4) jam.
Jam?

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
WartracePred

I'll be happy if we win enough to keep Chicago and St Louis fans from taking over Bridgestone Arena. Of course that probably means they'll have to win a couple of rounds in the playoffs, so yeah, I guess we're all on the same page.

WartracePred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:55 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Jam?
You don't know about jam?!?!

I don't really know how to post YouTube videos, but I'll try...

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:49 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Jam. He needs some Tennessee-made Jam at his first presser.

EDIT: Oh, and - never won anything. Nope. Not at all.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 12:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Jog my memory, did I lose a bet?
lol, nah man. I was just referring to when I went through my divorce last fall, before I moved down here to Nashville, and you said you'd buy me a beer. haha, just messing with ya though.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote