HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hockey in New York

Old
03-12-2007, 11:10 AM
KreiMeARiver
Fast has potential!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marceltheuseless View Post
They only talk hockey when Steve Somers is on.
Beningo does it, also. He's a big Ranger fan.

Richard Neer is terrible. The guy has about as much personality as a dead fern.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 11:56 AM
IanB

WFAN is pretty much a disgrace to radio. Its all garbage, no class. Thats why it doesn't surprise me that hockey gets no respect. But at the same time, if Hockey coverage brought in good ratings, things would change in a heartbeat.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:00 PM
TheRedressor

WFAN gets a bad rap because of Mike and the Mad Dog. The problem is that they are on from 1-6:30pm.

Benningo and Somers are awsome with hockey.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Ziggy96
Pleeeeassee Garth...

I find Max Kellerman tolerable, alot of his arrogant attitude is just schtick(sp?). His Hockey Rant irritates me though, because you get the feeling he's just trotting NY/NJ hockey fans out in front of the listner like attractions at a carnival freak show for 60-120 seconds at a time. The way he runs it is infuriating. If the rant time lasted from 10:50 to 11:00 I wouldn't mind as much, but the callers only get an average 20-30 seconds each before he cuts them off and repeats what they said as if he's trying to learn about the game, which he isn't.

Kellerman grew up in a part of the city where Basketball is the dominant sport and Yankee Stadium is ever present so he was brainwashed by the prevailing culture around him to find Hockey insignificant-it drives me up the wall. There's no place in his Jam Master J saturated, B movie schilling mind for a game as incredible as Hockey

Screamin' A Smith is just unbearable. I can listen to him talk baseball for maybe 15 minutes before I change him...the rest is off immediatly.

New York Sports talk has two saving graces (IMO) Steve Sommers who, despite being a Ranger fan, is just friggin' hillarious and Michael Kay-the voice of the New York Yankees.

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Unfortunately for us hockey lovers, hockey's has gotten quite a bit of coverage lately in NYC, but only due to the Simon incident. Now, itís back to the Knicks and March Madness.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Honestly I don't think Richard Neer is that bad. I'd rather hear someone like him than someone who does nothing but scream about stuff they don't know. He at least knows his stuff.

And I didn't listen to him at night but on Saturday morning, he pretty much dedicated the whole show to the Simon incident. He said he was a Rangers season ticket holder about 20, 30 years ago but stopped following hockey although he did enjoy last monday's game. What he was saying is that incidents like the Simon one turned him off. While I don't agree with his opinion there, I respect the fact that he can discuss it honestly as opposed to "OMG HOCKEY ISN'T A SPORT, CHRIS SIMON SHOULD BE SHOT, NOBODY LIKES HOCKEY!!!!!!!!11!!!!1"

But about the lack of hockey coverage...look who are hosts are. Do you WANT them discussing something they know nothing about? Somers is great about hockey and I really enjoy Benigno/Roberts (Benigno is a huge Rangers fan) when I can listen to them.

Also if you listen to the Michael Kay show on 1050, while he is a complete idiot and doesn't even care to learn more about hockey, his co-host is Don Lagreca who hosts the Rangers pregame show on 1050 and knows alot about hockey.

But when it comes down to it, I would rather not hear hockey talk from most of the people on the radio here. As it's been said before - the only thing worse than Mike and the Maddog not talking about hockey is Mike and the Maddog TALKING about hockey. Or Maddog talking about anything. Or Mike talking about himself. And so on...

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:45 PM
mucker*

It was my impression that NY is just like Philly, that it is a big legitimate hockey town, however they have many other sports and entertainment making it hard to isolate hockey.

I'm sure in Philly, a legit hockey town, their Flyer fans have the same complaints about all Eagles and NCAA radio talk.
I think as far as American radio goes, WFAN and ESPN 1050 are on par for being solid for hockey coverage because at least you have two guys, Beningo and Somers, who cover.

The Knicks don't get a lot more press time than Rangers do they?
Isn't more baseball and football NOT thankfully NBA talk?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslotpasser View Post
It was my impression that NY is just like Philly, that it is a big legitimate hockey town, however they have many other sports and entertainment making it hard to isolate hockey.

I'm sure in Philly, a legit hockey town, their Flyer fans have the same complaints about all Eagles and NCAA radio talk.
I think as far as American radio goes, WFAN and ESPN 1050 are on par for being solid for hockey coverage because at least you have two guys, Beningo and Somers, who cover.

The Knicks don't get a lot more press time than Rangers do they?
Isn't more baseball and football NOT thankfully NBA talk?
The Knicks get lots of Coverage. Either way most NBA bashers on this and most hockey boards are hypocrites. It's funny when they chalk up hockey's futility in the US due to people being dumb and not understanding the game, yet you hear things like "Basketball is a game that you can watch the last 3 minutes." Etc...

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I find Malusis (sp?) to be the best guy on hockey on the Fan. Despite him being a die-hard Ranger fan.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
ish

It's the same feeling for me every time the FAN is actually talking hockey: My initial reaction is that I'm thrilled that they're talking hockey. But then I realize that I forgot that they have no idea what they're talking about. I say no hockey talk is better than horrible, uninformed hockey talk.

Somers and Benigno are Ranger fans and will discuss them but they're not "big" fans, like the people on this board are. I'd bet my life neither knows who Hugh Jessiman is.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
It's the same feeling for me every time the FAN is actually talking hockey: My initial reaction is that I'm thrilled that they're talking hockey. But then I realize that I forgot that they have no idea what they're talking about. I say no hockey talk is better than horrible, uninformed hockey talk.

Somers and Benigno are Ranger fans and will discuss them but they're not "big" fans, like the people on this board are. I'd bet my life neither knows who Hugh Jessiman is.
Somers is a pretty big fan

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:26 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandRanger View Post
The Knicks get lots of Coverage. Either way most NBA bashers on this and most hockey boards are hypocrites. It's funny when they chalk up hockey's futility in the US due to people being dumb and not understanding the game, yet you hear things like "Basketball is a game that you can watch the last 3 minutes." Etc...
Disagree, the Knicks could plead hockey, they get similar coverage to hockey or much closer to that as opposed to Yanks/Mets and Giants/Jets who dominate.

In 1994 the Rangers got more ink and press than the Knicks during both of their runs.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:39 AM
DontStaal

i dunno about MSG, but Arena Football gets more coverage on ESPN.

it's ridiculous, but hockey's just popular here... maybe that's why there's a stronger bond between players and fans IMO (in hockey then in other sports)

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote