HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
05-07-2014, 11:28 PM
CunniJA

vCash: 500
Yuck. My team won won just 8 once, but 6 is totally brutal.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 11:39 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
It's a shame to read that most the gripes surrounding "beer league" hockey is related to the officiating. You know, this is a job and from the least to greatest everybody should do their best or society will not function. Dang I feel like becoming a referee just to bring the most absolute concentrated focus I can as an official and servant to the game, just as if I was playing. Rise up beer league refs!

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
cant buy a ****in goal this season.i went up a division last year but my team disbanded, so now im in a lower division and i just cant score. 5 games in and i have one assist. ive had goals called off due to inference, hit the post 4 times, bad bounces, goalies have made huge saves...just cant bury one. its killin me
It happens.

I used to be good for ~3 points a game for my team.

I had to take a break for a month with no exercise to rehab an injury.

Since returning, I've produced 2GP, 0G, 0A against inferior competition.

In my last game, I dinged the post twice in 3 seconds; shot off the right post, got the rebound and ding it off the crossbar. I messed up several odd man rushes off nice passes by my teammates because I was a step slow.

It's infuriating, but you just need to forget about it and move on.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:24 AM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
It's a shame to read that most the gripes surrounding "beer league" hockey is related to the officiating. You know, this is a job and from the least to greatest everybody should do their best or society will not function. Dang I feel like becoming a referee just to bring the most absolute concentrated focus I can as an official and servant to the game, just as if I was playing. Rise up beer league refs!
I do wonder how many people complaining have actually reffed before though. I've done it many times for soccer and baseball and I can definitely say that once you've been a referee of anything for a while, you certainly get a new-found appreciation of just how difficult of a job it is. Baseball, I think, is the most difficult by a longshot because you have to make a call every few seconds and many of them are within fractions of an inch. When you've been there and been yelled at by 10-11 year olds' parents and mercilessly taunted by people because you're ruining their cherub's budding baseball career with the Yankees, you lighten up on refs quite a bit.

Now, when a ref's got a personal beef with somebody and they are consistently making calls motivated by personal issues, that's awful. But, blown calls are as much a part of the game as pucks. And, really, it's beer league. Any time there is a blown call, I just ask myself, "does this have any effect on me in the greater scheme of things in my life?" The answer is always a resounding "no."

Keep in mind too that professional referees make mistakes every game. A beer league ref making mistakes is bound to happen even more frequently. I also think that those who have never reffed often have a fantasy that they would do a much better job. Occasionally, at the lowest levels of leagues, that might barely be true. But really, most refs are doing the best they can without any kind of technological assistance and sometimes there's just one of them.

I also have noticed that regardless of what team somebody is on, the calls always went against their team.

Old
05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
I do wonder how many people complaining have actually reffed before though. I've done it many times for soccer and baseball and I can definitely say that once you've been a referee of anything for a while, you certainly get a new-found appreciation of just how difficult of a job it is. Baseball, I think, is the most difficult by a longshot because you have to make a call every few seconds and many of them are within fractions of an inch. When you've been there and been yelled at by 10-11 year olds' parents and mercilessly taunted by people because you're ruining their cherub's budding baseball career with the Yankees, you lighten up on refs quite a bit.

Now, when a ref's got a personal beef with somebody and they are consistently making calls motivated by personal issues, that's awful. But, blown calls are as much a part of the game as pucks. And, really, it's beer league. Any time there is a blown call, I just ask myself, "does this have any effect on me in the greater scheme of things in my life?" The answer is always a resounding "no."

Keep in mind too that professional referees make mistakes every game. A beer league ref making mistakes is bound to happen even more frequently. I also think that those who have never reffed often have a fantasy that they would do a much better job. Occasionally, at the lowest levels of leagues, that might barely be true. But really, most refs are doing the best they can without any kind of technological assistance and sometimes there's just one of them.

I also have noticed that regardless of what team somebody is on, the calls always went against their team.
As a former beer league ref the problem is when there are late night games the refs just don't care. They aren't bad because they are it's just that it's late and they don't care because it's men's league hockey. I was guilty of it at times too. All you want to do is just make the game go as quick as possible with as little incidents as you can.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 01:51 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
Yuck. My team won won just 8 once, but 6 is totally brutal.
In my old league 7 was the required minimum. We were actually winning one game with that amount, up 4-1 or something with 10 minutes left in the third... when one of out guys took his 3rd penalty, an automatic ejection, leaving us with an illegal roster so the refs said we forfeit and called the game.

The refs didn't really do anything wrong as they called it by the book, but still that was a brutal result

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:48 AM
redbranch

played last week with 5 skaters and no goalie. sadly, it was our best outing, and we would have won but people just slowed down too much in the third to hold on

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
terranraida

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
played last week with 5 skaters and no goalie. sadly, it was our best outing, and we would have won but people just slowed down too much in the third to hold on
...How do you play with no goalie?

terranraida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranraida View Post
...How do you play with no goalie?
Been there before, it sucks. Not even worth staying for either team

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
redbranch

you play by just keeping them from shooting at your net.(mod edit). A defenseman generally hung back, but couldn't glove or cover the puck.

I didn't want to play the game, but I was the only person on my team who felt that way, so we played. it turned out better than I expected; the forwards backchecked much better, and because of that, our breakouts finally worked well. The other team hardly ever had possession in our zone. As the game wore on, they finally really realized we had no goalie, and just started putting shots on net from anywhere.

On the plus side, I made a pretty nice kick save on a breakaway

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 05-09-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: phrasing
redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Hambone15

Quote:
you play by just keeping them from shooting at your net.(mod edit). A defenseman generally hung back, but couldn't glove or cover the puck.

I didn't want to play the game, but I was the only person on my team who felt that way, so we played. it turned out better than I expected; the forwards backchecked much better, and because of that, our breakouts finally worked well. The other team hardly ever had possession in our zone. As the game wore on, they finally really realized we had no goalie, and just started putting shots on net from anywhere.

Same thing happened to my team our first game of the season. My buddy plays both forward and goalie, he signed up as a forward this summer, but they slotted him in as goalie and didn't say anything. We go to our first game and no goalies there, no one knows why. So we played the game 6 on 5, while the league guy went around the rink asking goalies if they'll step in for us. If we had no goalie by the 2nd period we had to forfeit.

Funny enough this was our teams best game as well :p We controlled the play for the most part, didn't score though, but "only" gave up 4 goals in the first period. Second period came around, we had a goalie step in finally who played great, only allowed one goal. We wound up losing the game 5-4.

Since then we've lost 2 games 6-0 and 9-2. But that's moreso because no one will play D and 2 of the 3 people who will just keep carrying the puck up the ice and turning it over, or they're more concerned with being pretty in the defensive zone by attempting toe drags infront of our crease on penalty kills causing turnovers. I think I'm just gonna say **** it and play D - I grew up as a forward, but I'm not retarded and know when to pass/stay back, I know there is a time and place for pretty moves and I'm a fast skater forward or backwards. Not saying I'm gonna be amazing at D, but atleast the goalie (who is my friend) will have someone to rely on to be there.

Ok that turned into a rant lol

Ohh individual signups, why are you so cruel to me..

Hambone15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 02:14 PM
CunniJA

Quote:

Yeah. That's the trick right there. Hell, in low-level beer league, that's pretty much the best strategy whether there's a real goalie in there or not.

Firing hard shots right at the middle of the net is very effective when there's just a guy in skater stuff standing there. You'd have to be a total nutjob to just put your ribs right in front of slapshots all night.

Old
05-12-2014, 03:56 PM
nycpunk1

We only had 1 line show up last night (Mother's Day). Some guys subbed in, which brought us up to 2 full lines. Great.

Now, I first laced up skates last spring. I am not exactly the best player on the ice. But I try to be as little a liability as I can by skating hard through my 2 minutes. When I get off the ice, I'm basically ready to drop until I get some water in me and a couple seconds sitting on the pine. I don't expect to score more than a couple flukes this season, but I know I'll rack up a decent number of assists.

I played Right wing last night. The guy I'm switching with consistently skated 3+ minute shifts. He was one of the guys subbing in. Dude, you're getting free hockey. You need some of my shifts, too? Are you worried about the W for a team you don't even play on? I just don't get this mindset. I am always cognizant of how much I am skating when someone else is on the bench. It's a C/D beer league, we all paid the same $$$.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 10:52 PM
PS12

Tonight was very chippy. In one shift i was crosschecked three times, tripped when their guy managed to stick his blade in my skate holder. I kept bending my knees and widening my stance as the hits got harder and harder. After the guy who cross checked me three times trys to body me i skate into him and knock him down. He looks at me and says what the hell was that for. I just smile as we both got penalties. Thank god for core workouts.

I think this was the same guy who body checked me at the goal line into the boards after i got rid of the puck. Was a vicious hit since i was just standing there. Fortunately i hit the boards with my shoulders instead of my head. My head just tapped off the boards. Could have been much worse.

Typical beer league rant. Refs should make the calls to avoid the game getting out of control.

But its all good.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I play for two teams. One is an absolutely brutal team where I'm usually the best player on the ice (horrible news), while on the other team I'm considered to be below average.

Played with the A team on Friday, got a few points and won 10-1.

Played with the noob team on Sunday night, got a couple of goals and lost like 20-2.

This league is not very well organized. It's the only league in Taiwan, and the winter season playoff games are overlapping with the summer season games. Poorly planned, poorly balanced. But I'm not really complaining about being on the A team, because it might be the first time in my life where I have a shot at winning something. (Never won a damn thing in my life in terms of team sports or just sports fandem)

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:35 AM
buddhaknows

Two week layoff

After a two week layoff from getting hit with the flu I played two games in a row Sunday night. My game was way off and didn't have a lot in the gas tank for my second game. 1st game was drop in with a bunch of different skill levels ranging from barely able to skate to Wayne Gretsky like college kids. I was able to put a few shots on goal but they were weak. In the 2nd game which is in our elderly division we only fielded 7 players and a goalie. 3-5 minute shifts were brutal and the other team had two ringers who skated circles around us. The other team had 2 more players as well making their shifts much shorter. We lost 6-0. It could have been a lot worse.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:44 AM
OpenIceHit42

Subbed for a lower level roller team that my buddy plays for this past Sunday and they spent of the game b!tching and chirping a guy from the other team who was a ringer.

Don't chirp the other team when you have myself and one other guy subbing who didn't have any business subbing in a D league when we both play in the A ice league.

I get it, it’s frustrating but if they spent the energy on playing the game rather then chirping the guy we might not have lost 10-8

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 12:35 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Last night first game of the new season. I am playing defense and standing about 10 feet from the net. The whistle is blown, a skater comes at me, and elbows me in the middle of my neckline. I turn around and say are you *********** serious? He calls me a p****. I shove him and he falls. HE then cries to the ref and says where is the penalty. The ref says you give a shot , and then you take a shot man up. I then laugh at him. Then he says you ********* suck I scored a goal and I will beat your a*** , then proceeds to call me by my last name ( Not sure how he knows it isn't on the jersey). Ironically, I already had two goals and an assist. My team was also winning 4-2 at the time. I laughed and said you can't even take a shove without falling do you really want to try to fight? Just play and stop whining. During the game it made me enjoy stealing the puck from that guy so much more. Later on he tried to skate around another defender and fell on his own, and started complaining about our player tripping him. Our player was at least ten feet away from him and the guy just lost his balance trying to stop and go. Then he called the guy a p**** crosschecked the guy in the back with his stick because he was mad . He got two minutes, and we scored to make it 5 -3. We won 6-3 and the guy provided comic relief for our whole team and the refs. I love beer league hockey, but some guys watch too much playoff hockey. I think they forget they pay to play, and not the other way around. If you pay to play, the NHL is never calling you especially for a tough guy role.

Last edited by TheGreatOutlaw: 06-03-2014 at 12:46 PM.
TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Ozz

Lost by 1 after going down 0-3 quickly in the first. Losing is fine, especially after a nice comeback like that, but we could have beaten them hard if my linemates could pass the puck. It was so bad the other team came up to me after the game to mention it, noting that no matter what they did they couldn't stop me from getting & staying open for passes that never came. It was brutal.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
Last night first game of the new season. I am playing defense and standing about 10 feet from the net. The whistle is blown, a skater comes at me, and elbows me in the middle of my neckline. I turn around and say are you *********** serious? He calls me a p****. I shove him and he falls. HE then cries to the ref and says where is the penalty. The ref says you give a shot , and then you take a shot man up. I then laugh at him. Then he says you ********* suck I scored a goal and I will beat your a*** , then proceeds to call me by my last name ( Not sure how he knows it isn't on the jersey). Ironically, I already had two goals and an assist. My team was also winning 4-2 at the time. I laughed and said you can't even take a shove without falling do you really want to try to fight? Just play and stop whining. During the game it made me enjoy stealing the puck from that guy so much more. Later on he tried to skate around another defender and fell on his own, and started complaining about our player tripping him. Our player was at least ten feet away from him and the guy just lost his balance trying to stop and go. Then he called the guy a p**** crosschecked the guy in the back with his stick because he was mad . He got two minutes, and we scored to make it 5 -3. We won 6-3 and the guy provided comic relief for our whole team and the refs. I love beer league hockey, but some guys watch too much playoff hockey. I think they forget they pay to play, and not the other way around. If you pay to play, the NHL is never calling you especially for a tough guy role.
There are guys like that in every league I've played in. They can dish it out, but they can't take it. I had a guy last season that tried to pull a power move to the outside around me, I stuck with him and stick lifted him about 4 or 5 times aggressively, then took the puck from him. I never got his hands or did anything dirty, but as I'm skating back the other way with the puck, he takes a giant wind up slash at my leg. Then, he proceeds to flip out on the ref when he gets called for it, screaming about how I was hooking and slashing him. Tried to headhunt me later in the game, as well. Some people are just babies.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 03:05 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Guys who dangle on the PK in beer league.

There aren't any scouts in the stands.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 02:05 PM
GoldenBearHockey

Half of what's posted in here is why I don't play anymore,

I would end up hurting someone, I have zero patience for the stupidity of others, especially in a sport setting.

I am all for playing hard and trying to win, but when a guy that is doing his best stork impersonation tries to lift my stick and catches my head, regardless if I am wearing a cage or not, I am gonna turn and hurt the guy, not saying I am right, but damn man, what do you think you are doing with that play, you aren't moving your feet, even if you lift my stick, you aren't getting the puck because you aren't moving your feet, it's just a stupid, stupid play.

It's like guys going 80 in a 20 in a straight line towards the boards, that's a direct route to the hospital, these guys just don't think out there, it's pathetic.

GoldenBearHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 06:30 PM
theMajor

vCash: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Guys who dangle on the PK in beer league.

There aren't any scouts in the stands.
my team "captain" tries the same curl and drag 6+times a game and it works 0 percent of the time, yet he still tries anyway....so frustrating to watch and then have him tell all of us to 'stop being fancy'

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 06:54 PM
SelleckStache

The one that get me is when ringers play center in lower level leagues and just absolutely give-er even when the score starts to get out of control.

Even though we aren't the best, we still don't like being embarassed.

Start your ringers as D please

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 05:27 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
The one that get me is when ringers play center in lower level leagues and just absolutely give-er even when the score starts to get out of control.

Even though we aren't the best, we still don't like being embarassed.

Start your ringers as D please
Starting at D doesn't make much sense, but dropping back to D does. It's really besides the point though, I've never understood players that are better than most continuing to go hard in a blowout. As someone who has been playing in a weaker division than I should the past season, blowouts are terribly boring and I don't even feel like playing the game out.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote