HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dylan Reese & Darin Olver Signed to Pack Tryout Contracts. Will Roche be Signed?

Old
03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Nyr10

vCash: 500
Dylan Reese & Darin Olver Signed to Pack Tryout Contracts. Will Roche be Signed?

so who think the rangers will do that

Nyr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Nich

yes

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think Roche gets inked. Not sure about Reese. I had a lot of hope for Reese, but he hasn't really progressed to where I think he should be right now.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:55 PM
free0717

Are these two guys worthy of NHL Contracts? It reminds me of the situation last year with Potter, Guenin and Joey Crabb. The Rangers didnt feel any of them deserved an NHL contract. Potter got an AHL contract, Guenin was signed by the Flyers and Crabb was signed by the Thrashers.

I hear good reports on Potter and Guenin. I havent heard much about Crabb.

With the Rangers Organizational Depth and only being allowed 50 NHL contracts, I dont know if these guys will be offered NHL contracts.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:55 PM
FLYLine24*

I think Reese has a much better shot then Roche who probably has under a 50% shot.

Reese has been so far under the radar because

1) He plays in the NCAA
2) He plays in one of the least exposed NCAA "divisions".

Do I think Reese will definitely get a contract? No. But I think he's got a decent shot at the least an AHL contract.

Roche puts up respectable numbers but I don't see his game translating to much at even the AHL level. And if Crabb wasn't offered a contract (who was definitely better then Roche) then I can't see Roche getting offered one.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
frozenrubber

In watching Kenny Roche and with the 50 contract limit in mind, I just think he's not worthy of a contract.

Will he make it...probably not. While there will always be a 1 in 50 kid who does pan out, you need to keep contract spots open for kids who have a higher upside.

His play for the Terriers has been good, it hasn't been anything spectacular and is reminiscent of many upperclassman over the years.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Roche puts up respectable numbers but I don't see his game translating to much at even the AHL level. And if Crabb wasn't offered a contract (who was definitely better then Roche) then I can't see Roche getting offered one.
Crabb WAS offered a contract. He simply wanted more money than the Rangers were offering, IIRC.

Roche, IMO, is a great candidate for a 3rd/4th liner. Hard working, skilled in all areas (though none great), etc. He's a good guy. Can definitely see him getting signed.

Reese has underwhelmed me playing in a bad league where a guy of his talent should shine.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:08 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Crabb WAS offered a contract. He simply wanted more money than the Rangers were offering, If I recall correctly.

Roche, IMO, is a great candidate for a 3rd/4th liner. Hard working, skilled in all areas (though none great), etc. He's a good guy. Can definitely see him getting signed.

Reese has underwhelmed me playing in a bad league where a guy of his talent should shine.

You'r right. Forgot he was offered a contract but wanted more.

Roche is a what you said, but we have plenty of those players right now and more that are going to be signed that do things better then him. That bring something else or more. Roche is...very average and we have better IMO.

Reese was named as one of the top defenseman in his league last season as a Junior, so he hasn't been playing bad.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I'm not a big fan of either anymore but I don't watch as much college hockey as i used too...

The flip side of the coin is Can Roche or Reese get a better TOTAL package with another team? With the Rangers both would probably play the majority of next season with the Checkers..Maybe a team with a prospect pool that isn't as deep can give them a better chance....I don't know maybe I'm way off..

The Rangers might not have the option to sign either player....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'm not a big fan of either anymore but I don't watch as much college hockey as i used too...

The flip side of the coin is Can Roche or Reese get a better TOTAL package with another team? With the Rangers both would probably play the majority of next season with the Checkers..Maybe a team with a prospect pool that isn't as deep can give them a better chance....I don't know maybe I'm way off..

The Rangers might not have the option to sign either player....
Exactly. Hartford is already crowded, and I would think that Staal, Sauer, Pyatt and Dupont are all almost assured to be there next year. Olver's probably another prospect who gets an offer, as is Russell, and Maloney continues to push the idea of bringing Anisimov over. I'd also throw in that, at least from what I've seen and read, Potter may have earned himself a contract, too. Graham's probably ready for Hartford. I'm not sure how much room there is in the organization.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
andyo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Exactly. Hartford is already crowded, and I would think that Staal, Sauer, Pyatt and Dupont are all almost assured to be there next year. Olver's probably another prospect who gets an offer, as is Russell, and Maloney continues to push the idea of bringing Anisimov over. I'd also throw in that, at least from what I've seen and read, Potter may have earned himself a contract, too. Graham's probably ready for Hartford. I'm not sure how much room there is in the organization.
Is that a bad thing?? Nope...feels great that we have so many guys competing for spots who can eventually contribute.

andyo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 09:07 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo23 View Post
Is that a bad thing?? Nope...feels great that we have so many guys competing for spots who can eventually contribute.

What it also means is that we are going to start seeing deals involving some of these kids...the likes of Immonen, Dawes...maybe a Greg Moore or Dwight Helminen might get pushed aside by some the kids coming along. Hopefully, the fanbase won't over-react and claim that the youth movement is over.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 09:13 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What it also means is that we are going to start seeing deals involving some of these kids...the likes of Immonen, Dawes...maybe a Greg Moore or Dwight Helminen might get pushed aside by some the kids coming along. Hopefully, the fanbase won't over-react and claim that the youth movement is over.
There is absolutely no way in hell there will not be outrage on this board when this happens. At HF, no one under the age of 25 should EVER be traded for anything less than a first round pick.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Fish

I think Reese's stats are little misleading, he's a better player than what you see in terms of statistics. He was the captain of Harvard this year, and he has a great shot from the point. In terms of his NHL potential, I think he's an outside chance, but he's got better skills than Ken Roche in my opinion.

In some ways Roche kind of reminds me of Marcel Hossa...but without the defensive play. He's not afraid to shoot, can work in the corners, but has a relatively slow shot. He'll get a few more games as BU will be selected to play in the NCAA playoffs...although I wouldn't expect them to go too far.

Another College prospect is also at the end of their eligibility this season, and that's Darin Olver. Like Reese, his NCAA career is now over so we'll see if the Rangers sign him to an AHL contract.

The Rangers don't have to sign these guys to an NHL contract until August (if I recall correctly) so don't be surprised to see a couple of AHL contracts come their way.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
The Big Apple

Reese had a natural hatrick a few weeks ago...

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

asset management

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers have until August 15 to sign their college senior players.Just like last summer,the Rangers will be selective in which players receive NHL contracts.Greg Moore got a NHL contract last April.Nate Guenin wasn't offering a contract by the Rangers.Joey Crabb wasn't offered a NHL deal by the Rangers.Corey Potter wanted a NHL deal but settled for a an AHL deal.Mike Walsh signed an AHL contract with Grand Rapids

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo23 View Post
Not that's a bad thing but those entry level contracts are either three or two year deals.Then you have to go through the same issue the following summer.With the 50 NHL contract limit,there are only x amount of NHL contracts to go around

Old
03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I think Reese has a much better shot then Roche who probably has under a 50% shot.

Reese has been so far under the radar because

1) He plays in the NCAA
2) He plays in one of the least exposed NCAA "divisions".

Do I think Reese will definitely get a contract? No. But I think he's got a decent shot at the least an AHL contract.

Um, Roche plays for Hockey East (NCAA) and has had a bigger impact on his team. But why would being in the worst NCAA divisions dictate you're a good player? If anything, might it suggest lower levels of competition?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I suspect both, along with Olver will be offered ATOs to go to Hartford right now. They may or may not play but they will get to skate and practice with the team and that would give management a chance to see them up close.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:41 AM
bleedrngrblue

I think it depends alot on how the draft works out for the RAngers, who is still around and who has been traded when all the dust of the draft settles. I have a sneaky suspicion the Rangers will be VERY active on draft day....no info ...just a hunch.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
I think it depends alot on how the draft works out for the RAngers, who is still around and who has been traded when all the dust of the draft settles. I have a sneaky suspicion the Rangers will be VERY active on draft day....no info ...just a hunch.
hey bleeds..forsome reason i can' PM you...but here:
http://broadwaysports.informe.com/index.php

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Olver will definitely be signed, Slats won't let down his boy Walt Kyle.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers have until August 15 to sign their college senior players.Just like last summer,the Rangers will be selective in which players receive NHL contracts.Greg Moore got a NHL contract last April.Nate Guenin wasn't offering a contract by the Rangers.Joey Crabb wasn't offered a NHL deal by the Rangers.Corey Potter wanted a NHL deal but settled for a an AHL deal.Mike Walsh signed an AHL contract with Grand Rapids
aint Foote a senior as well??? I doubt he gets signed as well.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
aint Foote a senior as well??? I doubt he gets signed as well.
Jordan Foote is a junior

http://www.athletics.mtu.edu/MHO/MHO....php?sport=mho