HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Read (2013 Edition)

Old
05-03-2014, 01:14 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
This guy had 22 goals this year. 18 Even Strength (2nd on team) and 4 SHG (2nd in NHL). It may be just me but I think that if Read got an elevated/more offensive role on the team, he could put up ~30 goals. Obviously we would need to find a replacement for him on the 3rd line, but I think he has so much unseen talent.
His versatility could allow him to fill the top 6 LW void. I don't think he'd look out of place one bit.

Perhaps Raffl could take over his defensive role on the 3rd line.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Tedeward

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
His versatility could allow him to fill the top 6 LW void. I don't think he'd look out of place one bit.

Perhaps Raffl could take over his defensive role on the 3rd line.
I think Raffl could somewhat fulfill his defensive role on the line but he definetely wont be able to produce offensively the same way Read did.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Laughton-Simmonds
XXXX-Couts-Akeson
Ramussen-Raffl-XXXXX

I know this will never happen because the Flyers always make changes in the offseason but sometimes the solution to all your problems is right in front of you.

Tedeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
His shot is also arguably the best on the team (I think there is no debate on his wrister)...

Since entering the NHL, in playoffs and reg season, he has played 214 games and taken 397 shots.

That is 1.86 shots per game.

He has 61 goals in those shots (at 23 goals per 82 games) for a shot % on 15.4%...

the NHL average is ~9%.

Since he has started playing in the NHL, his regular season sh% of 15.1% is 13th in the league amongst players with over 100 games played and over 40 goals.

His shot is one of the best in the league, his D is awesome, his skating is great.

He can definitely play in the top six, and I imagine put up ~55 points if he did... but the question is does that make the team better.

Him playing LW with G could be interesting, I know he plays more RW, but he is a right shot. Definitely worth giving it a go at some point if team scoring dried up.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 02:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Read's soon to be 28 if he's getting any better from here on out it's going to be moderate at best. He excels in a defensive role & still adds enough secondary scoring while doing so. He holds much more value in the role he's used at currently. The extra 5 goals or 10 points a year isn't worth it to change it up. If it's not broke don't fix it.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-03-2014 at 02:21 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 03:02 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
I want to see Read take Hartnell's spot, move Hartnell to the 2nd and put Raffl in Read's 3rd line spot.

Like Appleyard showed, he's got arguably the best shot on the team. A 15% shooting rate is crazy, and it's even higher in the playoffs. He'd fit great with G, especially since he can actually handle the puck and pass. He's also fast and great along the boards for his size. He's been solid for this team since he got here, he deserves a shot with top minutes. His offense is wasted being a shutdown guy.

I'd also say put Schenn on the RW and have 3 guys who can pass, handle the puck and shoot while Voracek can control the 2nd line, but that's a different discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Read's soon to be 28 if he's getting any better from here on out it's going to be moderate at best. He excels in a defensive role & still adds enough secondary scoring while doing so. He holds much more value in the role he's used at currently. The extra 5 goals or 10 points a year isn't worth it to change it up. If it's not broke don't fix it.
It is broke though, just because it's not Read's line doesn't mean he's not part of the solution elsewhere in the lineup. The top 2 lines need tweaking and Read is a piece that can fit anywhere well. He's also got an offensive touch that's being wasted on the 3rd line. It's not as simple as "it's working, don't change it". It can work better and we've got other guys that can replace him defensively anyway. You don't stop improving because something you're doing is working moderately well.

Last edited by blinds: 05-03-2014 at 03:12 PM.
blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 03:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
It is broke though, just because it's not Read's line doesn't mean he's not part of the solution elsewhere in the lineup. The top 2 lines need tweaking and Read is a piece that can fit anywhere well. He's also got an offensive touch that's being wasted on the 3rd line. It's not as simple as "it's working, don't change it". We've got other guys that can replace him defensively and it can work better. You don't stop improving because something you're doing is working moderately well.
Really? Who are these players?

If Couturier improves offensively & Laughton can even somewhat lighten up the defensive load than your problems will be solved, you'll still squeeze a little more production out of Read & still have him in a role he's clearly better than any other option on the roster.

Couturier & Read will always draw the tougher assignments on this club no matter what changes. They are like our Bergeron & Marchand in that sense.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-03-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old
05-03-2014, 03:23 PM
blinds

Quote:
Raffl and Laughton are two guys I'd feel comfortable putting into a role there. Hall would be fine from a pure defensive aspect, although we'd lose even more offense. If Voracek moves down to run 2nd line, Simmonds is a guy who would fit in well on the 3rd. I'm not sure how Akeson is defensively but as long as he's capable, it wouldn't be a bad thing to throw that offensive spark in there. That's 5 guys who could slot in, but I'd prefer Raffl take his spot.

I know Couts and Read have chemistry, but it doesn't take a lot to be successful defensively on the wing. Couts is the driving force of that line. Read brings more to the table than just good defense and I want to give him a chance to create some offense.

By work better I just meant it would improve the lineup as a whole, not the 3rd line specifically.

Edit: Saw your edit. The point isn't squeezing more offense out of Read, it's providing a complementary piece to the top 6. Giroux could use a guy like him on his LW instead of the Hartnell train wreck who can't skate, pass, skate a puck or even accept a pass anymore. Read's got a better shot than Hartnell too. The point is Read is a better option offensively than any other LW option, while we can get someone to replace him defensively.

Last edited by blinds: 05-03-2014 at 03:33 PM.
blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Tedeward

Quote:
Well it is broke so we should fix it IMO. Our 1/2 line LW position is broken and I think Read is a good solution. We all keep talking about how we need that 30 goal scorer for G and I think Read could be that guy. He will definetely have more value on the 1st line if he puts up good numbers and its easier to replace Read on the 3rd line than it is to go out and get a 30 goal scorer for the 1st line.

Edit: Blinds beat me to it.

Old
05-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Tedeward

Quote:

If Couturier improves offensively & Laughton can even somewhat lighten up the defensive load than your problems will be solved, you'll still squeeze a little more production out of Read & still have him in a role he's clearly better than any other option on the roster.

Couturier & Read will always draw the tougher assignments on this club no matter what changes. They are like our Bergeron & Marchand in that sense.
I'd be willing to take a hit in our depth scoring in order to solve our 1st line LW problem.

Old
05-03-2014, 04:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Raffl and Laughton are two guys I'd feel comfortable putting into a role there. Hall would be fine from a pure defensive aspect, although we'd lose even more offense. If Voracek moves down to run 2nd line, Simmonds is a guy who would fit in well on the 3rd. I'm not sure how Akeson is defensively but as long as he's capable, it wouldn't be a bad thing to throw that offensive spark in there. That's 5 guys who could slot in, but I'd prefer Raffl take his spot.

I know Couts and Read have chemistry, but it doesn't take a lot to be successful defensively on the wing. Couts is the driving force of that line. Read brings more to the table than just good defense and I want to give him a chance to create some offense.

By work better I just meant it would improve the lineup as a whole, not the 3rd line specifically.

Edit: Saw your edit. The point isn't squeezing more offense out of Read, it's providing a complementary piece to the top 6. Giroux could use a guy like him on his LW instead of the Hartnell train wreck who can't skate, pass, skate a puck or even accept a pass anymore. Read's got a better shot than Hartnell too. The point is Read is a better option offensively than any other LW option, while we can get someone to replace him defensively.
Raffl's the only guy who could come close to matching Read's defense & Read's still a better defensive & overall player. Laughton will be a center & isn't even guarentee to be on the team let alone to be relied on heavily at this moment because we simpily don't know. Akeson & Simmonds are just not strong defensive players & in Akeson's case it's similar to Laughton in that he's not even a guarentee to be on the roster next year. Hall's a good PKer but virtually useless overall at ES aside from his faceoff ability.

I much rather leave Couturier & Read together, Read had a good impact on Couturier's overall game this year. I don't feel like stunting Couturier's offensive growth by sticking him with scrubs or players who don't mesh well again. I like Raffl but I still have my doubts about him being anything more than a bottom 6 player, his offense still leaves much to be desired about.

Read still holds much more value to the team in the role he currently is in because outside of him & Couturier there isn't much forwards on the roster that are considered strong defensively & our defensive unit still isn't going to be good next year. Giroux still put up 86 points this year so I'm not really seeing how the benefits are much greater of having Read there instead of in his current role. I much rather try Schenn on the first line if you want to replace Hartnell.

Old
05-03-2014, 04:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
I'd be willing to take a hit in our depth scoring in order to solve our 1st line LW problem.
I'm worried about taking a hit in the team's overall defense not our scoring depth. I only made mention of the scoring depth he brings because it's an added bonus on top of the good defense he provides while going up against the other teams top players.

Ideally I would like to have four lines that we could roll. 1st line primary offense, 2nd line primary defense, 3rd line secondary scoring, 4th line secondary defense.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-03-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old
05-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Tedeward

Quote:
I'm worried about taking a hit in the team's overall defense not our scoring depth. I only made mention of the scoring depth he brings because it's an added bonus on top of the good defense he provides while going up against the other teams top players.

Ideally I would like to have four lines that we could roll. 1st line primary offense, 2nd line primary defense, 3rd line secondary scoring, 4th line secondary defense.
I think we could go out and get a replacement for Read which is easier said then done. But I would be ok with signing a RW like Vrbata and a LW like Vanek or Cammalleri to be centered by Giroux.

Cammalleri-Giroux-Vrbata
Hartsy-Schenn-Voracek
Read-Couts-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-Akeson

But it would be much easier and cheaper/ more likely to do this...

Cammalleri-Giroux-Read
Hartsy-Schenn-Voracek
(Read Replacement)-Couts-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-Akeson

Old
05-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Stizzle

You guys advocating for Cammalleri will be very dissapointed when you actually see him play. It would be Lecavalier all over again.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Tedeward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
You guys advocating for Cammalleri will be very dissapointed when you actually see him play. It would be Lecavalier all over again.
Scored 26 goals in 63 games with a crappy Flames team. I dont see why he wouldnt do better with Giroux. And Vinny is a different situation because he is a C. Cammalleri is a LW and he will definetely fit in to the lineup and not be forced to play on the 4th line. I'd be happy to sign him as long as he doesnt get a NTC or NMC.

Old
05-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Curufinwe

So you would be happy with 6/36 for him?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:40 AM
BillDineen

3rd best on the team in even strength ppg. Tied for 45th in the league in even strength goals (same amount as Duchene and Carter and one more than Bobby Ryan). Sound defensively. This should be the first line left winger everyone wants. We already have him!

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:47 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I disagree off the bat simply from the positional standpoint.