HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2005 Poll on Who to Draft

Old
03-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I really don't have much to prove. Afterall, you were the one who and that Gretzky was a "great skater" as well as a "great stickhandler". Enough said about your talent scouting abilities.
And I still say that he was.....as do most hockey people.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:00 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Simply to quickly add to the argument. If we are just basing things on stats Cherepanov did way better then AO, Malkin, Semin, Frolov did in RSL. He broke Pavel Bure's record the guy has been amazing based upon stats. It will be hard found to find one perosn who says he is better then any of those five.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
What "hockey people"?

03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
What "hockey people"?
Yeah try convincing all of those people that Gretzky played against that he was not a great skater or stick handler. I am sure they will tell you otherwise.

Old
03-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Link?
OK you got me....I guess he is the highest scoring player in NHL history yet he wasn't a good skater, he wasn't a good stick handler, his shot was not that great.....he did it all just because he was a good passer. That argument is probably one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen on these boards.

Oh yeah....and for me pulling comments out of my ass when talking about prospects....

Kane is ranked #1 on Redline
Kane is ranked #1 on McKeens
Kane is ranked #2 on ISS
Kane is ranked #4 on CSB

average ranking of #2

and your boy Alzner....

Alzner is ranked #2 on Redline
Alzner is ranked #4 on McKeens
Alzner is ranked #6 on ISS
Alzner is ranked #8 on CSB

average ranking of #5

But you can keep saying I am pulling this stuff out of my ass.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 03-13-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old
03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
AnThGrt

How about to my post Squidward. You are going by numbers and I posted something based on Cherepanov. He is also #1 on a few people's list.

Old
03-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt View Post
How about to my post Squidward. You are going by numbers and I posted something based on Cherepanov. He is also #1 on a few people's list.
Yes he is.....and I probably would have him in my top 3 ....behind Kane and Turris. I would have no problem with him being selected in June.

Old
03-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Tadite

Quote:

Really? As far as I can tell Kane is just a good player in a horrible year.

From RLR.

And while Red Line likes Kane, we've been watching him for three years now and if anyone ever said to us at RLR three years ago, or even one year ago, that he'd be No. 1 on our list for the 2007 draft, we'd have said they were crazy. He's not what we think of as a so-called franchise player.

As an addendum to our last item, Red Line's chief scout was discussing the top end of this year's draft with one NHL chief scout at the Five Nations, and we came to a consensus very quickly on one topic: Both of us feel this year's draft has as much or more potential for draft busts coming out of the top 10 picks as any recent draft we could think of. It's definitely a bad year to be a bad team.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

So is Patrick Kane this years Bobby Sanguinetti?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So is Patrick Kane this years Bobby Sanguinetti?

Yup looks like.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't care who we pick. All the top-10 guys are practically interchangeable. Just pick one and roll the dice....

But it is going to suck to be picked number 1. Do you want to the kid being compared to the Crosby's, Kovo's, and AE's of the world? It just isn't fair for the kid or for the team who picks him. If we have the 1st I hope we can find someone stupid enough to trade for it and get a couple of more picks instead....

Old
03-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Whoever is picked #1 won't be compared to those players simply because it is well known this draft isn't that deep. Same thing happened with the 1996 draft. Nobody expected Chris Phillips to be the second coming, but he sure as hell has become a solid top 4 defenseman for the Sens and I doubt they regret that selection.

Karl Alzner is probably will probably be very similar to a Chris Phillips. I think the top 10 does have a decent group of talented forwards that will be NHL players. Nobody is looking at them to be the next big thing.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
AnThGrt

Quote:
Yes he is.....and I probably would have him in my top 3 ....behind Kane and Turris. I would have no problem with him being selected in June.
How so you are saying Kane is number one do to his stats and skill. Well obviously Cherepanov has skill and he has done A LOT better if talking about stats. He has the best numbers anyone at his age has had. As I said vastly destroys Malkin, AO, Semin all while breaking P. Bure's record. I do not see anyone saying he is that amazing or next coming, in short there is more then stats and comparing stats in other leagues.

Old
03-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
How so you are saying Kane is number one do to his stats and skill. Well obviously Cherepanov has skill and he has done A LOT better if talking about stats. He has the best numbers anyone at his age has had. As I said vastly destroys Malkin, AO, Semin all while breaking P. Bure's record. I do not see anyone saying he is that amazing or next coming, in short there is more then stats and comparing stats in other leagues.
What you have to take into account as well though is that the Russian leagues right now are a lot weaker now than they have been in a long while. So for Cherepanov to score that much, while still being impressive, does not put him on the same level as some of those other guys.

Old
03-12-2007, 07:44 PM
AnThGrt

Quote:
What you have to take into account as well though is that the Russian leagues right now are a lot weaker now than they have been in a long while. So for Cherepanov to score that much, while still being impressive, does not put him on the same level as some of those other guys.
As stated I would take Kane > Cherepanov. To the league being weaker though as I wrote he broke the all-time record. Somehow doubt that its at its weakest point ever, plus there is a HUGE difference in numbers between him and AO/Malkin try something like 4-5x the number of points. Even if it weaker that is damn impressive. Does not mean @#$% though. D. Armstrong put up 100+ points in AHL. I rather have Kane then Cherepanov but its not do to stats or one can argue Kane's stats also

Old
03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
As stated I would take Kane > Cherepanov. To the league being weaker though as I wrote he broke the all-time record. Somehow doubt that its at its weakest point ever, plus there is a HUGE difference in numbers between him and AO/Malkin try something like 4-5x the number of points. Even if it weaker that is damn impressive. Does not mean @#$% though. D. Armstrong put up 100+ points in AHL. I rather have Kane then Cherepanov but its not do to stats or one can argue Kane's stats also
Cherepanov has 18 goals in 47 games. Pavel Bure had 17 goals in 32 games as a rookie. So it is true that Cherepanov broke Bure's record. But that "record" is very deceiving.

Also Cherepanov has played considerably more games than Ovechkin and Malkin did as rookies. Malkin only played in 34 games in his rookie year....and Ovechkin only played in 40 games. In the RSL rookies (even the good ones) usually get limited ice time and on lower lines. The fact that Cherepanov has had substantially more ice time than Malkin, Ovechkin and Bure did speaks volumes to the weakness that league currently has.

Old
03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Cherepanov has 18 goals in 47 games. Pavel Bure had 17 goals in 32 games as a rookie. So it is true that Cherepanov broke Bure's record. But that "record" is very deceiving.

Also Cherepanov has played considerably more games than Ovechkin and Malkin did as rookies. Malkin only played in 34 games in his rookie year....and Ovechkin only played in 40 games. In the RSL rookies (even the good ones) usually get limited ice time and on lower lines. The fact that Cherepanov has had substantially more ice time than Malkin, Ovechkin and Bure did speaks volumes to the weakness that league currently has.

Or because Cherepanov is earning his ice time....

Either way once again from RLR.

"
And while Red Line likes Kane, we've been watching him for three years now and if anyone ever said to us at RLR three years ago, or even one year ago, that he'd be No. 1 on our list for the 2007 draft, we'd have said they were crazy. He's not what we think of as a so-called franchise player."

So isn't this all just theoretical? Kane, Turris, or Cherepanov they are all just big fish in the small pond of the 07 draft. So who really cares what lessor light we end up with?