HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Vanek Curve

Old
05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Dats13forlife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
Whats the deal with these warrior lies anyway, like some are lie 4 and stuff??? I use a Modano/Zetterberg with an Easton 5 lie, would the Vanek be comparable?
Well companies vary on how they measure the lies. Easton measures from the middle of the blade if I remember correctly and Warrior measures from the bottom (I think). It is a general rule to add about .5-1 to Warrior lies. So a Warrior lie 4 would be really close to the Easton 5.

Dats13forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 01:08 AM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats13forlife View Post
So in my opinion the Vanek is pretty sweet. Its like the Iginla, Zetterberg, and Drury had an orgy and the Vanek was born. Everything those blades listed above can do, the Vanek can do. Passing, shooting, backhands, and deflections are so simple and easy with this blade. I'm looking to possibly pick one up again for next year, if I can win draws with it since I will be playing center.
This curve is amazing, i haven't found any other brand with a clone of it. I am like 65% on draws with it too, although i have found that cheating on faceoffs is the easiest way to win them watch the ref's hand and move into position as soon as he twitches.

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Durbo20vT

I used to use this pattern, but switched to a Kovalev and haven't gone back...yet.

Durbo20vT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Blade has nothing to do with draws, it's about speed, positioning, leverage, and adjusting to your opponent. Although I also have a pretty high faceoff win percentage myself.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Vanek is about 5.25 if I remember right.

This is pretty close:

Warrior 4 ~ Easton 5
Warrior 5 ~ Easton 5.5
Warrior 6 ~ Easton 6

Usually the lies are pretty close to the comparable Easton curve (i.e. Warrior Fedorov 4 is close to Easton Forsberg, lie 5).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Dats13forlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Blade has nothing to do with draws, it's about speed, positioning, leverage, and adjusting to your opponent. Although I also have a pretty high faceoff win percentage myself.
I have issues with the toe of the blade hitting the ice early and the blade whiffing on the puck if the blade is to long. I broke my Vanek blade before ever taking a draw with it so I don't know if the blade will be to long for me.

Dats13forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
10 ft. pole

Love my Vanek Curve. Flat enough for awesome passes and backhands. Large enough for getting off hard onetime wristers and redirects in the slot. It is a great meat and potatoes blade for the type of guy you don't notice for flashy moves. When you look on the scoresheet though, it is like how did I not notice this guy? (Maybe thats just the type of player I am).

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:06 AM
iLoveLobster

Where is the release point for this curve? I've been mucking around in SnP and it seems for a snapshot I get the best result off the middle or slight ahead of middle towards the toe. Had a RBK prostock (same pattern as the vanek as far as I could tell) and could have sworn for snapping I was going from the heel.. unless my techniques changed - maybe it had a different rocker?

From a search I got this, but dunno if it applies to all curves:

For a hard wrist shot - close to the heel
For a slapshot - between heel and middle of stick
For snapshots - middle (can move closer to toe if you get the puck going first)
Powerful backhands - Start at the heel, release from middle of blade
Quick backhands close to net - Middle of the blade to toe (easier that way to use wrist action to flick the shot)

iLoveLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveLobster View Post
Where is the release point for this curve? I've been mucking around in SnP and it seems for a snapshot I get the best result off the middle or slight ahead of middle towards the toe. Had a RBK prostock (same pattern as the vanek as far as I could tell) and could have sworn for snapping I was going from the heel.. unless my techniques changed - maybe it had a different rocker?

From a search I got this, but dunno if it applies to all curves:

For a hard wrist shot - close to the heel
For a slapshot - between heel and middle of stick
For snapshots - middle (can move closer to toe if you get the puck going first)
Powerful backhands - Start at the heel, release from middle of blade
Quick backhands close to net - Middle of the blade to toe (easier that way to use wrist action to flick the shot)
The Vanek curve is a mid-heel curve. It's normal that you tend to shoot from that area of the blade. I use a toe curve and here's my release point for each of my shots :
-Wrist shot : Toe
-Snap shot : Toe
-Slap shot : Mid-heel
-Backhand : Heel

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 04:51 PM
iLoveLobster

Thanks, I guess the pattern that was on the RBK prostock was a smaller blade (in terms of length), so it almost felt like I was nearer the heel rather the the middle.

iLoveLobster is offline   Reply With Quote