HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn healthy scratch vs Islanders

Old
03-13-2007, 12:45 AM
brownman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I just had a Marcel Hossa flashback.
Was it his slapshot goal on Cujo that rang off the bar and in, back in 2001?

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:47 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Was it his slapshot goal on Cujo that rang off the bar and in, back in 2001?
No, it's a blurry memory of him crossing the blueline and letting go with a vicious snapshot.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 01:19 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
How about trying to make the playoffs ? it's not like the 4th liners will score every game...

no they don't, and it's not with guys like Murray they will...
Well I didnt watch the last game but as far as Im concerned, we won the game... Carbo tried several lines combo this season, played his most talended guys together without any positive rusults most of the time.. Actually he is trying to responsabilize his guys to have a solid work ethic no matter who your linemates are.. And Ive no prob with this.. When the work ethic and consistency from everyone will be there, then he will reunit more punched lines combo and we will be just more dynamic and effective on the ice..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Well I didnt watch the last game but as far as Im concerned, we won the game... Carbo tried several lines combo this season, played his most talended guys together without any positive rusults most of the time.. Actually he is trying to responsabilize his guys to have a solid work ethic no matter who your linemates are.. And Ive no prob with this..
Koivu and Kovalev have been together for all of 3 games this season. In 2 of those games, Kovalev was on his off-wing. We know what happened that 3rd game.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Ross MacLochness

I certainly wasn't impressed with our scratch and claw, 20 shot getting, 3 goal lead choking performance against the powerhouse Blues.

But hey, Kovalev fluked out a goal for us, and Streit and Murray tried real' hard that game. Why break up such a winning combination? The Eastern Conference might as well role out the red carpet because we are on our way to 8th place.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:23 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Well I didnt watch the last game but as far as Im concerned, we won the game... Carbo tried several lines combo this season, played his most talended guys together without any positive rusults most of the time.. Actually he is trying to responsabilize his guys to have a solid work ethic no matter who your linemates are.. And Ive no prob with this.. When the work ethic and consistency from everyone will be there, then he will reunit more punched lines combo and we will be just more dynamic and effective on the ice..
Well, you know what... to some extent, effort is overrated...

late in the 3rd, need a goal, who would you like to have on the Ice : Lapierre, Murray, Bégin or Kostytsin ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 03:53 AM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I hate Carbonneau. Kostitsyn is the only reason I'm watching now, because they're just going to lose, and Carbonneau scratches him. Utter ********.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
Wait...

So trading Marcel Hossa for Garth Murray was good, as it maximized BG-type player ratio. But scratching Andrei Kostitsyn for Garth Murray is bad, as it minimizes skill...

You guys have to get some consistency in your thoughts....
I thought that everyone knew how much of a terrible mistake it was to trade Hossa? He's (injured right now) playing on the first line for the Rangers while Murray is AHL material. If Murray is a BG-type player then I don't want Gainey anywhere near the habs organization.

Let's fire Gainey and replace him with Leigthon. Hell, it worked for the Islanders...

Last edited by kernkraft: 03-13-2007 at 03:59 AM.
kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I just read this entire thread and after wadding my way through the whining and *****ing, I think I might be the only one who doesn't care that Kost isn't playing. I've never understood the obsession with this guy. I know he has a lot of talent but he hasn't played *that* great when given the chance and IMO he's been lazy at the defensive end. This lineup won on Saturday, so obviously Carbo is going to stick with it.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
I certainly wasn't impressed with our scratch and claw, 20 shot getting, 3 goal lead choking performance against the powerhouse Blues.

But hey, Kovalev fluked out a goal for us, and Streit and Murray tried real' hard that game. Why break up such a winning combination? The Eastern Conference might as well role out the red carpet because we are on our way to 8th place.
Everyone is saying who cares as we won last game...absolutely. But think how we did it and against who.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
I hate Carbonneau. Kostitsyn is the only reason I'm watching now, because they're just going to lose, and Carbonneau scratches him. Utter ********.
+1

I am starting to get sick of this media ******** about the habs management not liking Russians. If that is true, imo Carboneau should be fired immediately. Any member of management who sacrifices a teams chance to win just for a prejudice distaste for a certain player should be fired immediately. This should not be acceptable in any professional sport.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
e-e

Quote:
I'm foreseeinig something in the coming games..
Our new first line..
The waiver line
Samsonov - Murray - Downey.
Coming to a t.v. near you.

waiver line....love that

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:58 AM
KaTaKlIsM

Why the hell they dont send him back to hamilton if he's not going to play!?
let the kid play... either here or at hamilton

KaTaKlIsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
Everyone is saying who cares as we won last game...absolutely. But think how we did it and against who.
That is a big concern, but hopefully that will be addressed tonight. I see no problem in going with the same lineup that finally managed to win a game last time out, but they gotta show more (consistant) effort and a better result if they want if they all want to keep their ice time. Tonight we faceoff against a major rival in terms of making the post-season so if the boys get the job done, they deserve to keep getting played. But if anyone can't find it within themsleves to play their best or at least give all they have, I hope Carbo looks to make changes before the following game. My concern is that Carbo sticks with this lineup for a series of games, regardless of results. If they get wins then major changes aren't needed but if anyone doesn't put forward the effort, they should not be allowed to feel as though their position on the team is going to be set in stone for any length of time. I expect Sammy is as good as done for the season with us so that leaves Kostitsyn and when healthy Perezhogin as competition for places. If anyone isn't up to the job, I hope these kids get a shot because they don't deserve to be left on the sidelines if anyone isn't going all out.

As for the Kostitsyn scratch issue, I can understand it. Hopefully though, Carbo or someone else is explaining to him the reasons for such a decision. Kostitsyn himself has already said that when he was in Hamilton, nobody from the organisation kept him up to speed with what was going on and wasn't it reported that Carbo didn't speak to Sammy for quite a while? How many times does one organisation need to repeat a single mistake that shouldn't happen once? One of my biggest fears is that nobody learns from the mistakes made and we repeat them yet again even though it is one of the most basic and important things that a team can do - communicate with each other. There cannot be an excuse for such a lack of communication in the future, especially after what we have seen happen this year.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Just wondering how can it be a hate against Russians when Markov is being overused, when Kovalev despite his great 14 goals has been playing his regular shift, PP's and PK's and playing Perezhogin despite his stupid Perezhooking every single game.....

As far as Samsonov is concerned, he deserves being benched while I don't believe Kostitysn deserve it. If there's one thing Carbonneau has been is a really bad to average coach this year based on the fact that he's a rookie AND, in my opinion, that he'll never be a great coach after all.....Has nothing to do with race, with not liking the Russians 'cause if so, does he hate Canadians too (Downey, Murray, Rivet), Finnish (Niniimaa), Swiss (Aebisher, Streit at the beginning of the year), and so on....

Stop looking for conspiracies, start looking for abilities.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTaKlIsM View Post
Why the hell they dont send him back to hamilton if he's not going to play!?
let the kid play... either here or at hamilton
+100

I agree. Sitting in the press box will not help his growth. He was playing very well before his callup. Now after this episode, I won't be surprised to see him not play well if returned to Hamilton. The Habs brass know how to destroy the confidence of their rookies. I honestly feel we are the worst team on developing offensive prospects. Force them into something they are not and throw them away and start with the next one.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I just read this entire thread and after wadding my way through the whining and *****ing, I think I might be the only one who doesn't care that Kost isn't playing. I've never understood the obsession with this guy. I know he has a lot of talent but he hasn't played *that* great when given the chance and IMO he's been lazy at the defensive end. This lineup won on Saturday, so obviously Carbo is going to stick with it.
I disagree...regardless of how Kostitsyn has played since his recall (I think he's been ok) I think the issue here is, the Habs drafted him 10th overall in a very deep draft, they drafted him because he had some gamebreaking offsensive skill that needed to be developped.

If the Habs decide to call him up for the final stretch of the season, why not play him and DEVELOP him, why waste time with guys like Garth Murray, who'ss got no future with the Habs or hope for progress in his game and IMO he probably won't be on the team next year. Kostitsyn may still have alot to learn in the NHL, but so does Latendresse, Lapierre, Higgins, Plekanec, and they've all been given a shot to work out the kinks in their games.

If the Habs don't feel like he's ready, fine, send him down to the AHL where he can PLAY, because at this point in Kostitsyn's career, he needs to do just that. This treatment of 'some' players by the Habs coaching staff is something that's been going on for years IMO, they would rather play players with no future than develop players who THEY drafted to be part of their core.

I love Streit's play and all, but he's a defensman, and a better one than Bouillon/Dandenault as well. There's no reasoning to explain why he's playing as your 2nd line right winger, when you've got a guy you drafted in 2003 to be in that exact role sitting in the press box.

Garth Murray doesn't help the Habs win anymore than Kostitsyn would, and anyone who actually believes that needs to pay more attention to the game. Again, the Habs are going to head into next year without knowing whether or not Kostitsyn can handle a top 6 role cause they prefered giving icetime to a player that will in all likelyhood no longer be on the team and be a distant memory.

You guys are seriously trying to convince me and yourselves for that matter, that a player who was put on waivers this year, and cleared them, serves more purpose to the Habs now than a player they drafted, spent money bringing over and developing, finally got playing at a level where he had confidence and was dominant at the AHL level only to now be sitting in the pressbox wasting away NHL development time in anticipation for an increased role next year, for Garth Murray?

Makes no sense IMO and it's bad asset management. I don't understand how the Habs can go from a team that finally shows the patience required with young players like they did with Latendresse early this season when he went scoreless and looked totally overmatched in 13 games...yet, show virtually no patience or foresight with Kostitsyn a player who showed some adaptability and production as soon as he got the chance to play.

This is why the Habs have been mired in mediocracy the last decade, it's because they would rather play with players like Garth Murray, than play and live with the mistakes and successes of players like Kostitsyn .

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I love how the habs constantly bring up promising young players, see them do ok for a few games, then SHATTER their confidence level by scratching them after decent games, normal rookie mistakes, etc..
Since when are all our rookies made of glass. Radulov has been scatched in Nashville this season and it hasn't killed his confidence. Brule has been a scratch in Columbus, and he has survived. I'm sure most rookies understand that after they get called up they might not recieve 20 minutes a night. Alot of rookies get spare minutes and sit the occasional game while they are getting their feet wet. Kostitsyn will survive, with his confidence intact.

Also, it isn't like Kostitsyn is lighting the league on fire either. I'm sure if he had even scored lets say....ONE GOAl, maybe we could whine about this a little more. I guess the message we should send our rookies is, no matter what happens we will play you, 'cause we are scared of breaking your confidence.

I think right now, Carbo is trying to do whatever it takes to get this team going and to get them into the playoffs. No matter what moves he feel is best (which I'm sure he will make), we will not always like them.

03-13-2007, 09:13 AM
FlavorFlav

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
So what? He's still not nhl ready anyways...
Godammit I am sick of hearing this.

Not NHL ready? Half of this team has been playing like they don't belong in the AHL. And yet Kosti gets benched. Far as I'm concerned, the team has given up on this season anyway, let the kid play so he can one day be "NHL ready" as so many put it. What a crock. This kid is more ready than about 7 regulards on this team.

I know as Hab fans we tend to jump all over the coach in these situations, but Carbo has made some seriously questionnable decisions this season - I seriously wonder if this is not the 2nd coming of Mario Tremblay.

FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm going crazy trying to figure out exactly what Murray brings to this team so well that we need to keep him on the roster at all costs. Honestly, does he have "compromising" pictures of Carbo or Gainey? That's all I can think of at this point.
Murray works harder than Kostitsyn. Murray is a better defensive forward than Kostitsyn. Murray is also stronger and a better physical presence.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
Murray works harder than Kostitsyn. Murray is a better defensive forward than Kostitsyn. Murray is also stronger and a better physical presence.
And our defense-minded, grinder system has done us so well this year, hasn't it? If Carbo had his way this entire team would be 20 Garth Murray clones. We'd have no goals and no wins but darn it we sure would try hard!

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Since when are all our rookies made of glass. Radulov has been scatched in Nashville this season and it hasn't killed his confidence. Brule has been a scratch in Columbus, and he has survived. I'm sure most rookies understand that after they get called up they might not recieve 20 minutes a night. Alot of rookies get spare minutes and sit the occasional game while they are getting their feet wet. Kostitsyn will survive, with his confidence intact.

Also, it isn't like Kostitsyn is lighting the league on fire either. I'm sure if he had even scored lets say....ONE GOAl, maybe we could whine about this a little more. I guess the message we should send our rookies is, no matter what happens we will play you, 'cause we are scared of breaking your confidence.

I think right now, Carbo is trying to do whatever it takes to get this team going and to get them into the playoffs. No matter what moves he feel is best (which I'm sure he will make), we will not always like them.
Radulov is stuck behind some very good players in Nashville, not to mention that the Predators are one of the better teams in the NHL so development may not be in their priorities right now.

As for Brule, I think they've done a terrible job with developping young players and they're doing the same with Brule, there's no reason a bottom dwelling team shouldn't be playing a player they drafted 5th overall, who they deemed good enough to make their team out of training camp.

As for Kostitsyn not lighting the league on fire, well, as proven with many youngsters...more recently Guillaume Latendresse whom if you recall went scoreless his first 13 games, there's always an adjustment period with players when they come over from the AHL, and I don't feel the Habs have taken that into consideration in Kostitsyn's case.

Tomas Plekanec had 1 goal in his first 20 games his rookie year, that didn't stop the Habs from playing him, and developping him every game...look at the player he's become today. Same with Higgins..

Old
03-13-2007, 09:32 AM
tiredman

Quote:
And our defense-minded, grinder system has done us so well this year, hasn't it?
Well, I don't really think we have a defensive-minded system. We an an hybrid system (you can play offense like you want as long as you come back to help defenseman). Carbo tried a more offensive system (defensemans trying to bring more offensive and taking risks) recently and it didn't work. I think he's trying to play the trap (defensive system) for the remaining games and that's why Kostitsyn and Samso are not playing and that Murray is playing.

Old
03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Either way...Murray may be marginally better defensively than Kostitsyn but he's no stud either. I'd rather sacrifice what Murray offers for a chance to see some goals scored.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Either way...Murray may be marginally better defensively than Kostitsyn but he's no stud either. I'd rather sacrifice what Murray offers for a chance to see some goals scored.
Murray doesn't bring enough of anything to sacrifice the development of Kostitsyn IMO (or any young player the Habs call up from the AHL)

Old
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Murray is great on PK recently and he doesn't take much penalties.