HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will we grow our own superstar?

Old
03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Dempsey

vCash: 50
Marek Zidlicky was drafted by the NYR. If he were a first rounder playing in Toronto, people would consider him more of a star.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:23 PM
TheRedressor

vCash: 500
In terms of fowards Korpikoski and Jessiman are the only two guys in our system that have the potential to be superstars.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
SML

We never get superstars because we never get #1 picks. We never get #1 picks because management here will never, ever stand pat long enough or commit fully to losing to further rebuilding. The only way we ever get a #1 pick would be if we were lucky enough to aquire a first in a trade, and unforseen things happen that make that team that bad. IIRC the last time that kind of thing happened was when the Devils got the Leaf's first rounder for Tom Kurvers and drafted Scott Niedermayer, and he wasn't even first overall. Drafting #6-12 every year will get you alot of nice players but not a whole lot of superstars.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Balej20*

We drafted Marc Savard...He's somewhat a star player in the league right now.

Kovalev was a star when he wanted to be.

Leetch was a super star.

Tony Amonte, Doug Weight were marginal stars.

Sergei Zubov was/is a star.

Currently, Henrik Lundqvist is turning into a star.

We have drafted/grown Superstars in the past. Not all these guys were first round picks. We have to see if any of our current prospects will turn out to be stars in the future.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
In terms of a foward or defenseman i'd say Marc Staal will be our new guy
Maybe but I'd bet against it. For a defenseman to be a superstar he has to be a great scorer. I've never seen Staal but from what people post here he doesn't appear to be that.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Do we really need a skater superstar? We already have Lundqvist. Just look across the river - essentially, Brodeur is their only superstar. As long as we have a solid team that is sound in all aspects of the game, all we'd need to be successful is Lundqvist.
Elias and Gomez are close to being superstars but so far they are a notch below. Not bad draft picks, though, eh?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Blueshirt Special

Wow!

OK I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death in the past, but I watched that Bure video like 6 times and it brought a tear to my eye.

Could you imagine having a young player of that caliber, (thats why I said superstar and not solid, good, great or even star) skating like that, and scoring like that, and making plays like that at MSG??

Think that place is loud now when Lundy wins the shoot out?

And BTW: I believe Lundquist could very well turn out to be a superstar. I just don't believe in giving away that moniker so easily. And I was thinking fast, offensive, playmaker, and not dissing Lundquist.

Yeah, they had me hyped for Lundmark for a while. I must say it was one of the first things Renney did that I liked.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
Hugh Jessiman
Will become a big time POWER FORWARD.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
free0717

just keep drafting and scouting.

A team I really admire is Buffalo.

They dont really have any superstars but have so much depth that they win alot of games.

Who was the Superstar on Carolina?

Who was the Superstar on Tampa Bay?

Lecavilier was not a Superstar till this year.

Building a team Starts from the Goaltender and out.

We have great goaltending now and a prospect.

We have a very good group of Defenseman Prospects.

We have a good group of forward prospects, just a little thin at center.

Players like Crosby come up once in 20 years.

Players like Ovechkin come up once in 10 years.

It takes 20 players to win a game.

Superstars are great to have, but I would rather have a deep lineup.

Deep lineups win Stanley Cups.

One other thing I learned this year.

Stay out of the Rental Game.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
You think so? Anything better than the next Isbister is fine by me.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:44 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Hey, Lundqvist. And Staal's on his way.

And I don't like to get ahead of myself but let's never count out Dupont, Russell, Callahan, Kveton. Some guys just explode at the NHL level (like Prucha last season). Chances? Extremely slim, but who knows? We have purposely acquired prospects with a lot of drive, and we all know how much success has to do with desire and determination. We learned from the Brendls and Sundins.

Still, though, it would be nice to get a guy like Tavares. But hell, Dupuis for Bourret?! Maybe Slats can pull Cullen for Toews over the summer. In all honesty, I really think we'll resolve the issue at center via trading for a prospect(s). I think we're holding out for our prospects to really take off and then we'll be sellers. Building a system full of upper-mid-level prospects might prove to be a stroke of genius. We have some BIG trade value potential.
Following that train of thought, I'm going throw the name "Artem Anisimov"...big, rangy kid, just developing his skills. He could be that type of player.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
JKDR1

Fedor Tyutin is no way near a superstar.

Oh yes ......he was and still is our best defenseman! injured or otherwise

JKDR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 09:51 PM
2Leetch_94

Just because Tyutin is our best defenseman doesn't make him a superstar.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Missionhockey

I think people are blurring the lines between a "star" and a "superstar". A 30 goal scorer/point per game player is not a superstar. A superstar is on the level of Ovechkin, Thornton, Jagr, Lidstrom and such. There are only a handful of those players in the league.

The only goalies I would consider superstars now are Luongo, Kiprusoft, and Brodeur, I'm not sure if Lundqvist will get to that level. An All-Star goalie for sure, but a superstar? I'm really not quite sure.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Pizza

When will we grow our own superstar?

I think that is happening right now.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:33 AM
TravisZajac*

Henrik a Superstar? ... Not so sure.

TravisZajac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Fletch

Not so sure Travis?

he's still young - had a 'superstar' like season last year when he was a top 3 goalie while winning a gold medal during the season, and has played like a top two goalie over the last 2+ months, in his second NHL season. Maybe he's not a superstar today, but he seems like he may be on his way.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:05 AM
towely

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
When is the New York Rangers organization going to produce a bonafide homegrown superstar?

How/Why do we miss out on guys like Crosby & Ovechkin?

Why does it seem like so many other NHL teams get there hands on young, super-talented players in their prime and we never do?

Yeah Leetch was one but, when did he come into the league? why none since?

We've had the lousy records up to last year to give us the draft picks. Where are our prospects from 2,3,4 years ago?

I know this is really sort of a rhetorical question and there is no real "answer", and that all I'm going to get is opinions, but I want to hear.

How long has Slats been in charge now? Who are our scouts?

I'm a little frustrated about this. Anyone else?
have you forgot what it takes to get a number 1 pick? finishing dead last.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Blueshirt Special

So who ARE our scouts?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisZajac View Post
Henrik a Superstar? ... Not so sure.
Why not, have you seen what he's done in 2007? What he did last year? What he did for Frolundda in the SEL and for the Swedes International team.? And at the age he has done it at..No reason to think he won't be a superstar....

other then that, folks, I think we will have to buy the big kahuna..But at least we are in a great position to complimnet whoever that is with out organization

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:15 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey View Post
The only goalies I would consider superstars now are Luongo, Kiprusoft, and Brodeur, I'm not sure if Lundqvist will get to that level. An All-Star goalie for sure, but a superstar? I'm really not quite sure.
I disagree. Partly because I'm a homer and partly because I think he will be just as good as Luongo and Kiprusoff in the future. In the near future too

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I'd say Lundqvist is the closest homegrown player the Rangers have right now to being a star or superstar. But he's not there yet. When I think of superstars I think of players who are recognized all around the league as being elite players. I think if you polled fans of other teams, they'd say Jagr is the Rangers' superstar, not Lundqvist. Lundqvist needs to be more consistent over the course of an entire season. As great as he's been since the new year started, he was pretty shaky from October-December. But I'm still confident in his abilities and I'm excited to see how he plays this year in the playoffs if the Rangers make it and then going into next season. Because he has a great personality and he's very well spoken. Henke just seems to be made for some type of stardom.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I'd say Lundqvist is the closest homegrown player the Rangers have right now to being a star or superstar. But he's not there yet. When I think of superstars I think of players who are recognized all around the league as being elite players. I think if you polled fans of other teams, they'd say Jagr is the Rangers' superstar, not Lundqvist. Lundqvist needs to be more consistent over the course of an entire season. As great as he's been since the new year started, he was pretty shaky from October-December. But I'm still confident in his abilities and I'm excited to see how he plays this year in the playoffs if the Rangers make it and then going into next season. Because he has a great personality and he's very well spoken. Henke just seems to be made for some type of stardom.
Yep, can you imagine what his numbers would have been right now had he played as well as he has now in the beginning of the season?
Not using that as an excuse, but he would be up there with the top 3 in stats. Here's to hoping he plays the whole season next year, as do the Rangers

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Just Believe folks

Besides Henke, we have Staal, Dubinsky, Montoya & Korps - these players may or may not become stars, but they will help us defend against the Crosby's of the league.

7 years with no playoffs and no top 3 pick, thats a great way to avoid superstars

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Maybe but I'd bet against it. For a defenseman to be a superstar he has to be a great scorer. I've never seen Staal but from what people post here he doesn't appear to be that.
First of all, from what I've read here and other places, they say he has the complete game, but focuses on his shutdown role.

Secondly, let me throw a name out there: Scott Stevens. Not saying he'll get there, but I think we'd all be MORE than happy if he approached the quality of Stevens, who after 1994 only broke 30 points once (with 31). That guy was the prototypical defensive defenseman and I'd say he was pretty universally recognized as a superstar, no? (And please don't throw back his early career numbers of around 50-55 points a game back at me - my grandmother could have stepped on the ice in the mid-late eighties and averaged at least 5-7 points a year.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote