HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist Named Player of the Week. Vezina? (merged)

Old
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
phishman3579

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
What does "saves per goal against" tell you that save percentage doesn't?
I just think it's more understandable.

Name Save %
Brodeur 0.924
Luongo 0.920
Giguere 0.920
Emery 0.919
DiPietro 0.918
Kiprusoff 0.917
Henrik 0.912

phishman3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
The other thing with that stat: it's different to allow 1 goal every 12 shots when you're only facing 24 per game than it is to allow 1 goal every 10 shots when you're facing 30 shots a game. That's a variable that is not taken into account that I think is important.
That stat isn't taken into consideration, anywhere.

Old
03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You could be right, I don't know what the writers are thinking, I mean Thornton got it last season...

Though for me Brodeurs stats are very marginally better. Luongo got 0.920 and Marty 0.924 for example.
It's all in the shutouts. Anyway, Brodeur has so much experience compared to these younger goalies. That's a big advantage in my view, and he's used it wisely. Experience = confidence = shutouts and clutch wins. Hopefully Lundqvist learns from his mistakes. The only real criticism I seem to hear around here is that he can't close out games. I think that will fix itself with time though

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:31 PM
BigE

Luongo is the best goaltender in the league, and has been for a few years in my opinion. Henrik still has a ways to go, and probably isn't as good this year as he was last.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:32 PM
cringer

The only guy who could realistically challenge Brodeur if the season ended today is Luongo. After that the competition drops off. Luongo has been awsome for the Nucks though.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Luongo is the best goaltender in the league, and has been for a few years in my opinion. Henrik still has a ways to go, and probably isn't as good this year as he was last.
See, I disagree with that completely. Last season, while playing a lot less games and with a better team for most of the year, Lundqvist wasn't our saving grace. Jagr was. Lundqvist was very solid, but when Jagr started slipping, Henrik went down with him.

This season, 2 months of terrible team hockey aside, Henrik has been carrying this team on his shoulders. He has shown that he can steal games night in and night out, regardless of how the Rangers are playing. To me, he has shown the will and consistency of a champion. Put him behind NJ's system, and you have a bonafide superstar with quite possibly sub 2.00 GAA.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
phishman3579

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579 View Post
By the way, those numbers aren't what most would have expected.
"Name" "Average Number of Shots Allowed per Game via Team"
DiPietro 32.3
Emery 30.7
Kiprusoff 30.4
Luongo 29.5
Brodeur 28.8
Lundqvist 28.3
Giguere 27.1

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579 View Post
I know, that was my point...

Why hasn't anyone come up with a goalie rating system a la the QB rating system in the NFL?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:19 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
He has shown that he can steal games night in and night out, regardless of how the Rangers are playing.
Just out of curiosity, which specific games has he "stolen"? I think the Rangers would be in a much better situation had he stolen a few games.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Just out of curiosity, which specific games has he "stolen"? I think the Rangers would be in a much better situation had he stolen a few games.
He definitly stole the Dallas game, granted that was back in december lol

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
phishman3579

Quote:
I know, that was my point...

Why hasn't anyone come up with a goalie rating system a la the QB rating system in the NFL?
nevermind

Last edited by phishman3579: 03-12-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old
03-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Madness

I posted this in another thread.

Since Christmas Lundqvist have played 31 games, in 29 of these games (not counting the game against philly (pulled out (injury)), and the game against the Sens (Weekes was pulled out, Lundqvist only played 20 min)), Lundqvist's SV% is 0.932, and his GAA is 1.82.

During this 29 game streak Lundqvist has allowed:

0 goal 2 times
1 goal 11 times
2 goals 6 times
3 goals 7 times
4 goals 2 times
5 goals 1 time

According to these stats (if the streak continues), the Rangers will get into the playoffs even if the scoring drought continues. Now if only they could score more than 2 goals a game....

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
He definitly stole the Dallas game, granted that was back in december lol
That's about the only game I was able to think of myself. And of course that was the game that started their huge slide. So I guess it's a good thing he doesn't steal games more often then

Old
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Just from recent memory:

Last night vs Canes. Carolina had significantly more scoring chances, especially with the late PP's.

The second game of back to back Isle games.

The other mid February game vs Canes.

The shutout vs TB.

A week before vs Boston.

That's just over the last month or so. With all those games being HUGE points wise.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Fletch

Why adjust?

watch the games. Just because a guy faces 25 shots in a game doesn't mean he didn't have a tougher time than the guy who faced 30 shots. Anything other than what you have now is pretty subjective. You can guess that the guy who's facing 30+ shots per game faces more 'quality' chances, but again, it's subjective. You can talk about quality chances against as a % of total shots and then tally of the saves on them, but what the heck's a quality chance? You can calculate breakaways, two-on-ones, gaffes in front of the net by defensemen that lead to a quality chance against. In all, these measures are often very subjective and watching the game is about all you can do. I will say, though, that when someone puts up similar numbers year-in and year-out over a long period of time, I do take notice.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Just from recent memory:

Last night vs Canes. Carolina had significantly more scoring chances, especially with the late PP's.

The second game of back to back Isle games.

The other mid February game vs Canes.

The shutout vs TB.

A week before vs Boston.

That's just over the last month or so. With all those games being HUGE points wise.
We obviously are VERY far apart on our definitions of "stealing" games.

Old
03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Hank is great as was Ricther and EDDie and I forgot Villamere sp? butI would say if he continues he will be top 3 and maybe the best ever but way to early

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Robot Bruin

Quote:
Has there been a better goalie in the league since Xmas?
Well the only thing he might get would be a spring vezina.. but the race for vezina is already done. I'd put my money on Brodeur, but I'd like to see Luongo win. And I don't really agree with the statement that they've had it easy this season. Lundy would in my top 10-20 list but atleast for now he's not close cracking the top ten of my list. But I got to agree he'll be close to the top someday if it all goes well him.

Robot Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Hank is great as was Ricther and EDDie and I forgot Villamere sp? butI would say if he continues he will be top 3 and maybe the best ever but way to early
I actually think that Lundqvist is better in his second season than Richter was in his second season.

03-13-2007, 09:32 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I actually think that Lundqvist is better in his second season than Richter was in his second season.
I would agree. I will also state that its way too early in his career to label Lunqvist as anything other than a very good NHL goaltender. I love the guy so far....but until I see some more banners hanging from the rafters at the garden.....until I see Lundy steal a playoff game by standing on his head...until I see a more consistent player, and a larger body of NHL work, along with a Stanley cup final victory, Lundy is not even mentioned as an all time Ranger goaltender. And believe me, I think he's alot better than most people think already.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 01:17 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I agree. Though it's not really saying much as far as all time comparisons go. Nor is it really saying much as far as career potential or big game potential is concerned. But I guess accomplishment is the only true definitive statement that can be made to this regard. Time will tell.

Old
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Congrats to Lundqvist on the Player of the Week recognition, but he isn't Vezina-worthy this year. He won't even be nominated. I think it will go to Brodeur. He deserves it with the insane season he is having.

It would do Lundvist good to get some tapes of Brodeur and watch how he shuts teams down in the third period. He is just so clutch. Like a really good closer in baseball. If Lundqvist has that in him, that ability to slam the door closed late in a game when the score is close, then he'll have a great career. From about mid-February through the end of the playoffs, the games are just so close that you need the type of goalie who makes those key saves late in the game.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I agree! Luongo was my favorite goaltender, and I was hoping somehow he'd wind up a Ranger when we had Dunham"akaToast" in net. However, having seen Lundy is the real deal, and getting over Blackburns career ending injury, I'm totally happy with Lundy and the fact we have Montoya making progress in Hfd. I'd have taken Luongo in a second over Brodeur, and i still feel that way, no sleight, I just think Luongo is an even more difficult goalie to beat, especially if he had a defensive system like Jersey in front of him. DiPi is good, but the Isles made a HUGE mistake trading away Luongo, and its only luck that landed them Dipietro.....or Milbury would be even more hated!

Old
03-13-2007, 01:52 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
I agree. Though it's not really saying much as far as all time comparisons go. Nor is it really saying much as far as career potential or big game potential is concerned. But I guess accomplishment is the only true definitive statement that can be made to this regard. Time will tell.
I don't know burd....the argument can be made that these last 4 or 5 games have been as big as it gets for an NHL team, basically an early playoff run ....and Lundy has come through with flying colors, if he keeps it up, he's gonna convert alot of people to his side who aren't Ranger fans.

Old
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
I don't know burd....the argument can be made that these last 4 or 5 games have been as big as it gets for an NHL team, basically an early playoff run ....and Lundy has come through with flying colors, if he keeps it up, he's gonna convert alot of people to his side who aren't Ranger fans.
Gosh... it says a lot about us Rangers fans and the type of hockey we've had to endure when the last 4 or 5 games are considered "as big as it gets for an NHL team". No offense because I know where you're coming from. But all the BIG games for the Rangers have yet to be played.