HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Max?

Old
05-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Did you forget that DD and gallagher were absolutely invisible? Pac is a trigger man. Who is getting him the puck?
I saw both of them at least trying at some point in the game. Pac is just doing nothing at all. Where is the Pac strong on the board and winning 1v1 battles? He's not using his speed or his strength AT ALL. The only time i noticed him was when he got hit by Iggy.

Shaby23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:20 PM
habtastic

Gallagher was great tonight, but he can't do it solo. Patches was awwwwwwful. DD and him can't connect on passes, no vision. Something very very wrong. Either he steps up now and wins this for us, or he will be one of the biggest reasons we lost. Even if we win due to other players, the guy is gonna have to man the f up. Now would be the time to unload on a scoring spree.

What injury is he probably nursing and what drugs do we have available to get him through it? Wolverine declawed...for now...

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:54 PM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

He's a less talented Rick Nash. He'll produce in the easier regular season, but playoffs, no.

SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Deluded Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Kadri View Post
He's a less talented Rick Nash. He'll produce in the easier regular season, but playoffs, no.
I get this feeling too, sadly. I think we should acknowledge his contract and have him & DD on an exploitative line.

They are too one-dimensional, and one-dimensional players get rendered useless in the playoffs once keyed in on.

Deluded Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Pacioretty vs Kane.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluded Puck View Post
I get this feeling too, sadly. I think we should acknowledge his contract and have him & DD on an exploitative line.

They are too one-dimensional, and one-dimensional players get rendered useless in the playoffs once keyed in on.
Paid like second line players, play like second line players, and should be used like second line players. Simple as that.

Pacioretty put beside a #1C is undoubtedly a top line finisher. If he's put beside a #2C, he's a second line complimentary player. He could very well be a 3rd liner if he played alongside a guy like Bournival or even Galchenyuk. That's just the player he is and, luckily, that's how he's paid. Maybe he's not capable of much more?

Draft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Agreed. He's still young, but 3 playoff series and the Olympics have showed us that he is not a big game player...

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:14 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

It's early to start labeling Pacioretty. There are really talented players who had to play twice as many games as Patch has until they could understand what it takes to produce in the playoffs.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Pacioretty vs Kane.
Hard to say. Kane has a more desirable playing style but has seen little improvement over the last three years. He can be absolutely dumb as a brick with the puck sometimes, he definitely lacks hockey sense in some key areas. However, he's ALWAYS engaged in the play and trying to make things happen.

I'm not sure who I'd rather.... In reality it's more Pac-DD vs. Kane.

Draft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I thought he was better but DD was worse tonight.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Suggestion is to put Briere in DD's spot and DD on 4th line.

I think in general effort is there for DD but let's switch it up a bit.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Deluded Puck

Evander Kane?

He's got more in his skillset to have an impact in the post season, but it would be like Subban pt.II around here over the course of the season.

Max doesn't want to move his feet and get dirty, nor can he make up for it with creative play (see Vanek). You can't spoon-feed people at this time of the year. No passengers.

Deluded Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Pacioretty vs Kane.
This is why we can't have nice things.

David Krejci, the vaunted clutch centerman of last year's playoffs has 3 assists in 9 games. Playoff warrior Toews had 3G in 23 games last year's playoffs. The best player in the world just went 8 games before scoring a goal. Don't read too much into small samples. Players have hot and cold streaks, he played well tonight.

Also, I don't think people really get where his value lies. Most 30+ goal scorers are Vanek or Cammalleri types. Pacioretty drives possession at an elite level and plays a very strong two way game. His skillset is very unique, moving him and his sweetheart contract because he's not a "playoff performer" would be something I'd expect from the Leafs.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:49 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluded Puck View Post
Evander Kane?

He's got more in his skillset to have an impact in the post season, but it would be like Subban pt.II around here over the course of the season.

Max doesn't want to move his feet and get dirty, nor can he make up for it with creative play (see Vanek). You can't spoon-feed people at this time of the year. No passengers.
Would love Evander Kane, he has a real mean streak kinda like Wayne Simmons I love that player

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Everything is wrong with him. This guy has no ****ing heart.
I don't think you really thought that...

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:58 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What's happening to the DD line is a great example of how usage and opposition can severely affect something as incidental as point totals.

I've always argued that Max should play on a strong 2-way line to get him used to and develop him for tougher minutes. Maybe giving him exploitation roles wasn't the way to go after all.
I think the Habs could absolutely develop him into a Marleau clone. That'd be something I'd kill to have on the Habs the next decade, especially for the remainder of Max's contract. He's got the talent, the smarts, and the body for it. Hoping he can do so! I've seen great strides these past years, so hopefully it continues.

CanadianSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
He's not playing well, I agree.

But you can't just write guys off like this. Guy Lafleur (one of the all-time best playoff producers of all time) sucked for his first 30 playoff games. It took him a long time to put it together. Max has played maybe a dozen playoff games so far.

Maybe he'll struggle this year, maybe he's hurt... who knows? But you don't write a guy like that off. He's way too good to think that he's never going to produce in the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:29 AM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

I can excuse Pacioretty's Olympics performance. He and his typical linemates of Statsny and Oshie regularly tried to play a cycle game for Team USA's fourth line and they cycled well but couldn't score. But unless Erik Cole comes back, I don't expect Pacioretty to "crash the net" like Cole did or Bourque did today ever again. That guy is totally dead, and needs a Requiem Mass sung for him.

Last edited by SirClintonPortis: 05-09-2014 at 02:45 AM.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:47 AM
Mr. Hab

I also want to ask the same question, but...

...there's still some hockey left in this series.

Pacioretty can get that HUGE goal (or HUGE assist) that can LIFT our Habs. Have faith...

And, maybe not the right time to tinker with Pacioretty-DD, but in near future...you can try Eller with Pacioretty...or...Briere with Pacioretty...or Galchenyuk (as center) with Pacioretty, or back to Pleks with Pacioretty, etc,etc....

DD and Bourque can also work,etc,etc...
Example of a small switch up could be DD+Bourque...Eller+Pacioretty.

But, right now may not be the time to try all these huge changes!!
(the Vanek with Plecky is a good change...not a huge change since Gallagher already played with DD in the past...... and Vanek knows what to expect from Plecky and Bournival since he had time to get accustomed to their styles,etc).

Go Pacioretty Go!!
Go health Go!!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Notice that a lot of Bruins top players are not generating much either. It's like that in the series, esp. for the talented guys. It's more tight checking and usualy the hard workers, esp. the grinders(a la Weise) are getting an easier time.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:24 AM
cave troll

Max is scared to go in the slot, take the pass and shoot. All those shots from outside are useless.
Yesterdays Vanek had 0 SOG.
We played great 3rd period but our best forwards didn't contribute.
I hope lucky bounces and deflections are gonna switch to our side. Too many "potato" goals for Bruins. This must stop.

cave troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:37 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
This is why we can't have nice things.

David Krejci, the vaunted clutch centerman of last year's playoffs has 3 assists in 9 games. Playoff warrior Toews had 3G in 23 games last year's playoffs. The best player in the world just went 8 games before scoring a goal. Don't read too much into small samples. Players have hot and cold streaks, he played well tonight.

Also, I don't think people really get where his value lies. Most 30+ goal scorers are Vanek or Cammalleri types. Pacioretty drives possession at an elite level and plays a very strong two way game. His skillset is very unique, moving him and his sweetheart contract because he's not a "playoff performer" would be something I'd expect from the Leafs.
Krejci already has a cup ring, led the PO in points during their cup run. Toews is C'ing his team to maybe a 3rd cup...

let's not compare DD or Patches to these guys please.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:38 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave troll View Post
Max is scared to go in the slot, take the pass and shoot. All those shots from outside are useless.
Yesterdays Vanek had 0 SOG.
We played great 3rd period but our best forwards didn't contribute.
I hope lucky bounces and deflections are gonna switch to our side. Too many "potato" goals for Bruins. This must stop.
at the very least, Vanek made a few nice plays, for Bournival a few times in game 4, and to Plekanec in game 3 for a goal.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Garry Valk

He'll be fine. Cowboy up. Habs in 6.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:48 AM
cave troll

Max also recieves passes from linemates but 90% of shots ends with "wide of the net".
Its frustrating two watch 2 smurfs trying something near Rask while the scorer hides near the boards or around blue line.
The only goal Max scored in this playoffs was infront to the goalie and he avoids that situation 4 games in a row.
OK, he is the most hitted player in our team, but damn it, move away from the boards. You won't get crushed and you'll start contributing to the game.

cave troll is offline   Reply With Quote