HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why does the schedule suck?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2007, 09:38 AM
  #1
mnorman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Suburban NY
Country: United States
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
Why does the schedule suck?

Penguins/Islanders/Flyers/Penguins/Devils/Devils/Islanders/Penguins/Penguinsagain/Islanders/Devils/Flyers/Penguins/Devils/Islanders....***!?!?!?

I look forward to the rare games against Ottawa, Carolina, Atlanta, and the other teams that are in the same conference yet we never see. The Western Conference has what....8 or 9 games a year against NYR? I can't remember the last time they played Nashville, Colorado, or Phoenix. Yet every other day it's Crosby or Brodeur...

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:01 AM
  #2
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
Penguins/Islanders/Flyers/Penguins/Devils/Devils/Islanders/Penguins/Penguinsagain/Islanders/Devils/Flyers/Penguins/Devils/Islanders....***!?!?!?

I look forward to the rare games against Ottawa, Carolina, Atlanta, and the other teams that are in the same conference yet we never see. The Western Conference has what....8 or 9 games a year against NYR? I can't remember the last time they played Nashville, Colorado, or Phoenix. Yet every other day it's Crosby or Brodeur...
Totally agree with your post. We did play in Phoenix earlier this year, and I think we played Nashville too. But your point is valid.

Thank Gary Bettman, he pushed this through with the help of GMs like Lou Lamoriello. They need a 2/3 vote to change it last month, and fell a vote or two short. Next year is the third year of a three year cycle, after that they won't need a 2/3 vote to change it.

Except for Islander/Ranger games after a vicious stick-swinging incident, the schedule is not doing what it intended to do...create and emphasize rivalries. It seems like we play the Devils so often it's not even an 'event' anymore.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:04 AM
  #3
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Beach, NY
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
honestly, i like it. makes the games more important, and i think it had played a large part in this tight playoff race we are seeing

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:07 AM
  #4
Tomas Sandstrom 28
Registered User
 
Tomas Sandstrom 28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
honestly, i like it. makes the games more important, and i think it had played a large part in this tight playoff race we are seeing
I think it actually makes the games less important.....supply and demand

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:21 AM
  #5
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
It also makes the playoff race distorted. It sucks for teams in tough divisions and is heaven for a team in a really weak division.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:22 AM
  #6
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Anyone ever wonder why Rangers play soooo many games early in the season? Year after year. Anyone have a stat on this?

I figure it's probably because the Garden is so busy, they try to get games in before the NBA starts. But I think it hurts us. We get lulled into thinking we are ahead on points when all we've really done is play more games by Xmas.

Thoughts?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:25 AM
  #7
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,857
vCash: 500
All this over-interdivision play was Lou's doing.

It makes perfect sense on his side because he gets an extra sell-out with the Rangers coming in, and more attendance from nearby division rivals. Pretty sad that the league went for this - it has nothing to do with "more exciting" games and "renewing the rivalries". It has to do with attendance levels and the almighty $$$.

Too bad it hurts the entire western conference with travel and the spread of the leagues talent in other areans. At first I thought it would be okay, but now I think its a stupid idea and should be changed.

In fact, I have a laundry list of things the NHL should change. Starting with Lou and Marty's influence on the league.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:26 AM
  #8
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
Anyone ever wonder why Rangers play soooo many games early in the season? Year after year. Anyone have a stat on this?

I figure it's probably because the Garden is so busy, they try to get games in before the NBA starts. But I think it hurts us. We get lulled into thinking we are ahead on points when all we've really done is play more games by Xmas.

Thoughts?
The circus and other events. every year. plain and simple.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:09 AM
  #9
natureboy*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
All this over-interdivision play was Lou's doing.

In fact, I have a laundry list of things the NHL should change. Starting with Lou and Marty's influence on the league.
Couldn't agree with you more. Lou should not be a GM if he has all this power in the league.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
  #10
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,808
vCash: 500
8 games is WAY too many, should go to 6 i think.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
  #11
ban16*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
I like the current system, think Major League baseball (I am Met Fan), besides Yankees I don't care about any American League teams, that is what the world series is for. If we didn't play any Western teams, it would be OK with me, lets meet them in the Stanley Cup!

ban16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
  #12
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. Lou should not be a GM if he has all this power in the league.
He can be a GM, and i respect that hes one of the best.

I just dont like that fact that he manipulates the other owners through his "ways" and the owners and the league takes to his ideas like they are coming from Lord Stanleys ghost.

He is a very very good business man and does what he does well, but you cant totally blame him. Its the other owners, the NHLPA and the league that put this into play. Its more their fault for agreeing with him on ideas like these and then trapping themselves into multi-season "plans" to see if these ideas work over the longterm.

Problem is Lou has a stronghold on the OWNERS. The GM's are the ones that know hockey and give their two cents about ideas and such. The OWNERS are the bottom line and they control the votes on the major issues whether you or the GMs like it or not. For some reason the Owners seem to side with Lous idea in this case, most likely because it shows them the fiscal results...


Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-13-2007 at 11:32 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.