HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Max?

Old
05-09-2014, 07:49 AM
optimus2861

vCash: 500
That rocket one-timer he unleashed last night didn't miss the net by much. If it had gone in, this thread would probably have a different tone this morning...

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Beendair Donedat

Sadly he's looking more and more like a paper tiger.

There's no way anyone who hadn't seen him play all year would think this guy scored 39 goals.

He's playing scared, and not working hard. And once again the smallest guy we have in Gallagher is brought in to do the heavy lifting.

He's clearly a passenger at this point and neither he or Vanek seem interested in battling through the tight checking. At least Vanek still scores occasionally.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Sadly he's looking more and more like a paper tiger.

There's no way anyone who hadn't seen him play all year would think this guy scored 39 goals.

He's playing scared, and not working hard. And once again the smallest guy we have in Gallagher is brought in to do the heavy lifting.

He's clearly a passenger at this point and neither he or Vanek seem interested in battling through the tight checking. At least Vanek still scores occasionally.
Vanek still created sick set-up in the last 2 games.
Bournival missed a lot of chances last night, and same for Plek.

I really hope DD-Patches can win one for us, it's pretty much their turn.....

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He's not playing well, I agree.

But you can't just write guys off like this. Guy Lafleur (one of the all-time best playoff producers of all time) sucked for his first 30 playoff games. It took him a long time to put it together. Max has played maybe a dozen playoff games so far.

Maybe he'll struggle this year, maybe he's hurt... who knows? But you don't write a guy like that off. He's way too good to think that he's never going to produce in the playoffs.
Quoted for truth.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:07 AM
DAChampion

I remember when Plekanec was said to be a little girl in the playoffs.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:09 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I also want to ask the same question, but...

...there's still some hockey left in this series.

Pacioretty can get that HUGE goal (or HUGE assist) that can LIFT our Habs. Have faith...

And, maybe not the right time to tinker with Pacioretty-DD, but in near future...you can try Eller with Pacioretty...or...Briere with Pacioretty...or Galchenyuk (as center) with Pacioretty, or back to Pleks with Pacioretty, etc,etc....

DD and Bourque can also work,etc,etc...
Example of a small switch up could be DD+Bourque...Eller+Pacioretty.

But, right now may not be the time to try all these huge changes!!
(the Vanek with Plecky is a good change...not a huge change since Gallagher already played with DD in the past...... and Vanek knows what to expect from Plecky and Bournival since he had time to get accustomed to their styles,etc).

Go Pacioretty Go!!
Go health Go!!
Interesting...

Bourque - DD - Vanek
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere
Bournival - Plekanec - Gallagher

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:11 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I remember when Plekanec was said to be a little girl in the playoffs.
Definitely proving to be a big girl now

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Rosso Scuderia

He needs to man up. He is so afraid of getting hit. When he is near the board, he rather stop skating and reach for the puck with one hand on the stick instead of putting his body in there. RDS showed a chart of his shots in the series so far, none of them are between the faceoffs dots, ALL of them were from the perimeter. So it's not like he's snakebitten or anything like that. He needs to pay the price and goes to those dirty areas.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:23 AM
zzoo

Is it possible that Pac is slightly injured ? He has done absolutely nothing in offence. Almost everyone has raised their level in PO even DD (although he's not productive), except him.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:30 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Interesting...

Bourque - DD - Vanek
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere
Bournival - Plekanec - Gallagher
I hope Therrien doesn't break up the Eller line. Too good to be separated.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:46 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Meh, it's like people forget Pacioretty does the same thing in the regular season too. He didn't get to 39 goals by scoring one in every other game. He would score 10 in 7 games and then 0 in his next 7. I don't think it has anything to do with playing scared or being a playoff choker. It's just a cold streak. The difference is, over the course of 82 games, cold streaks balance out with hot ones. Over the course of a couple of a playoff series', you might not have the time to get on a hot streak.

He's only played, what, 12 playoff games in his career? Guys like Joe Thornton have played over a hundred and are still trying to figure out how to be productive in the crunch.

Anyway I'm not trying to take the blame fully off of him, he has to play better. But relax on throwing him to the wolves here...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Ryder 3.0 in my eyes.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:40 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
He's not the same guy playing against Boston since the injury.
The implication in your question is that he was different in the Tampa bay series, or the playoffs last year or on the American Olympic team. Sorry to break it to you but he wasn't.

Patches rarely shows up when it matters. It doesn't mean he doesn't care, Patches returning from that Iginla hit shows he cares. It just means don't expect him to be a difference maker. Ideally, he should be used as a complementary scorer not a go to player.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:45 AM
a55p2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Meh, it's like people forget Pacioretty does the same thing in the regular season too. He didn't get to 39 goals by scoring one in every other game. He would score 10 in 7 games and then 0 in his next 7. I don't think it has anything to do with playing scared or being a playoff choker. It's just a cold streak. The difference is, over the course of 82 games, cold streaks balance out with hot ones. Over the course of a couple of a playoff series', you might not have the time to get on a hot streak.

He's only played, what, 12 playoff games in his career? Guys like Joe Thornton have played over a hundred and are still trying to figure out how to be productive in the crunch.

Anyway I'm not trying to take the blame fully off of him, he has to play better. But relax on throwing him to the wolves here...
Yeah, and also Desharnais hasn't been able to make his regular season sick passes. Vanek too.

Most of the time in the season that line was playing more low in the offensive zone. Against the bruins they just can't get there or stay there long enough.

If it wasn't for the Bourni-Pleck-Vanek line working quite well, I would try to bring Bournival on that line instead of Gallagher. It seems that what they need right now is better forecheck. Just an idea but I think it could mix things up a bit, without separating Pac-Desharnais because we know what they can do when things work out for them.

a55p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:14 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Tsn ripped Pac apart this morning.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:22 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Tsn ripped Pac apart this morning.
And rightfully so. It's time for him to wake up.

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I hate him.

He needs to understand what don't care about his 39 goals. All we care is how he's playing when it counts.

I'm tellin ya, Pacioretty vs Evander Kane. I would do it anytime.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:33 PM
HeShootsHeScores

He is scoring when he is skating. Why does he look like a beluga on skates now? why?

He skates like he has gained 25 pounds between game 82 and round 1. It's unacceptable.

On the other hand, every team has that one player who disapoints. Bruins have krejci, rangers have Nash, pens has Crosby every year.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:35 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I hate him.

He needs to understand what don't care about his 39 goals. All we care is how he's playing when it counts.

I'm tellin ya, Pacioretty vs Evander Kane. I would do it anytime.
Evander Kane has never played in the playoffs, so he MUST be better in the playoffs. Classic HF logic.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Evander Kane has never played in the playoffs, so he MUST be better in the playoffs. Classic HF logic.
No, but i prefer the player that Kane is a lot more than Paches.

Futhermore, Kane play a style of game that has a lot more chances of success in playoff instead of Pacioretty. Kane plays a power game.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

Thornton at least has a pretty stat sheet despite his choker reputation. Pacioretty is not even doing that.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Andy

Pacioretty is getting close to scoring, but I still don't think he's putting in the effort level required for playoff success.

DD is one the boards biggest whipping boys, but people haven't been on his case much (compared to the regular season) because despite not putting up points, he's battling every shift: going into the corners to retrieve a puck, fighting off cross-checks, holds and slashes.

Pacioretty, on the other hand, is still playing a perimeter game, he's not skating like we know he can and he's waiting for the play to come to him. In the playoffs you create your chances by out-working your opponent, the chances don't come to you magically. Much won't change in Pacioretty's production if he's not willing to change his game. He's got to be first on the puck, willing to cycle, battle through crosschecks and fight for every inch of ice in the slot and the blue paint. Until then, he won't be successful in post-season games.

These issues go back to last season against the Sens. He is not giving an extra gear. And while I understand that he's being targeted and facing tougher matchups, he's doing very little to make defending him harder for the opposing team.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
No, but i prefer the player that Kane is a lot more than Paches.

Futhermore, Kane play a style of game that has a lot more chances of success in playoff instead of Pacioretty. Kane plays a power game.
Don't need to be a power forward to be effective in the playoffs, but hard work and willingness to get close to the are. Gaborik isn't tough, but he ain't scared to get close to the net. Neither was fake tough guy Nathan Horton.

Kane is definitely more likely to stick his nose in those dirty areas than Mr. Rick Nash version .75 beta.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Kane don'T shy away from the slots , dirty area and physical play....he loves it!!
Can't say the same thing for Patches.

It's like all those saying that a guy like Eller would be a lot better than DD in those type of game....and we we're right all along. Same thing here.

Puck-possession, physical player, that's what we need.
Patches for Kane....i'd do that in a heartbeat.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Kane don'T shy away from the slots , dirty area and physical play....he loves it!!
Can't say the same thing for Patches.

It's like all those saying that a guy like Eller would be a lot better than DD in those type of game....and we we're right all along. Same thing here.

Puck-possession, physical player, that's what we need.
Patches for Kane....i'd do that in a heartbeat.
patches is a superior puck possession player to kane. We've been over this. In no world is trading patches for kane a way to look smart.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote