HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Lefty9420

vCash: 500
I just bought skates for the 1st time in like 8 years, since all I do is coach now. Have only ever really worn Bauers and have only worn the Vapors for like 10+ years. I had the original Vapors and then have had a pair of the Bauer XX for years. I went to the shop and they didn't have the X70 in 9.5 D so I tried a pair of the One.8's in 9.5EE. Beside the fact that they were stiffer than anything I wore before they just didn't feel quite right. Definitely more roomy on the quarters and didn't feel like my heel locked right. Guy thought once they were baked they would fit better. So I bought them but didn't have them baked. Wore them around the house for a day or two and just couldn't get used to the fit. So I took them back. They had a pair of X90 in 9.5D so I tried them on. Right away I could tell the fit was much better and very similar to my XX. But I couldn't justify X90's for coaching so I went with the X70. Should be here today.

Old
04-01-2014, 09:02 AM
AIREAYE

The X70 has great value for its pricepoint. Should last you a long while if you're just coaching. If you decide to play regularly again, they may need an upgrade after a few years depending on how picky you are.

The XX, despite it being a top-end boot at its time, wasn't as stiff brand new as the X90, which is a pro-level boot.

Old
04-01-2014, 04:03 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Hey guys, I have always been a roller hockey player, but I have to opportunity to jump into ice hockey. I need a pair of skates, I would like to get the best bang for my buck, and I really can't justify spending more than 400$ on skates. I have only been ice skating a couple of times, but I should be able to pick it up quickly as ive played roller my entire life. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old
04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
SillyMe

You REALLY need to go to the LHS and try a bunch on, find the best fit for the $ you want to spend.

Old
04-01-2014, 07:47 PM
NativeHockey77*

what is best website for ordering skates? I want to order my nephew a top of the line brand. That ships to Canada. Thanks

Old
04-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Why don't you do this for:

Have someone take pictures of your feet in a seated position with your knees at 90 degrees or so. Have a little bit of weight on your feet (could be done if you sit on a lower surface for example). Take picture from the 4 sides, top-down of the fore/mid foot and of the heel and back of the heel. Host them on something like Photobucket and link here.
I was hoping you could do the same for me! I own a pair of Easton EQ30 6.5 D skates for the last two years. I play 2x a week and closing in on mediacracy... I play with some really good people in pickup skates and when the puck hits my toe-box it hurts pretty bad. I weigh 150 lb.

I think they fit pretty good.
My heel fits really well but there is a tiny bit of slippage. It seems really wide around the ankle but I dont know if that's intentional. Lastly my toes feel like they have a ton of rppm which may or may not be a problem.

I'm looking to spend up to $500. It's a present I'm receiving from about 6-7 family members.

Pics coming!

Old
04-02-2014, 08:58 PM
AIREAYE

Can't you go get fitted at and buy from a store? Why do you need me?

Old
04-03-2014, 02:38 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Can't you go get fitted at and buy from a store? Why do you need me?
Honestly? I haven't been able to find a decent skate shop in Seattle and I dont have a car to go deeper outside of the city. You dont have to help me. I just thought it didn't hurt to ask.

Old
04-03-2014, 07:46 AM
AIREAYE

This guide is not here to help fit people for skates and neither am I. I am here to help with specific questions and not to fit you from scratch. That's my PT job where I'm paid.

I strongly suggest you find a good shop and make a trip of it.

Old
04-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Jordan14

ok so I need to get some skates i've never really tried skates on but the only store in my area charges to try skates on because people would just try some on and go buy it on ebay, which was what I was planning on doing so really is my only choice to buy them from this store? and if your wondering of course if you buy skates they take the charge for trying them on off the price of the skates.

Old
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
moreoutdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan14 View Post
ok so I need to get some skates i've never really tried skates on but the only store in my area charges to try skates on because people would just try some on and go buy it on ebay, which was what I was planning on doing so really is my only choice to buy them from this store? and if your wondering of course if you buy skates they take the charge for trying them on off the price of the skates.
ah, so you have no problems milking the LHS so that you can save a few shekels ?
I would expect EVERY LHS to have a 'fitting' charge, which then gets zero'd when skates are purchased. Pro service has value, in all things. Don;'t expect to get it for free. I'm surprised when they don;t charge.
If you know what you need then go buy it on the interweb. If you need someone's help who really knows, then be ready to pay them

Old
04-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Quartz

Hi all,

Now I would like to hear some suggestions about type of toecap.

Currently I don't like the dead space in my APX.

Someone has any suggestions?

Old
04-12-2014, 01:09 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan14 View Post
If you have a decent shop with a variety of equipment, pay them to fit your skates. I would be more than willing to receive quality service at a fee, if such was available to me.

Old
04-30-2014, 07:24 PM
ORLY

CCM RBZ (original or the less expensive modified Control) or Easton Mako? Any opinions?

Old
05-01-2014, 07:07 AM
AIREAYE

You need to be more specific...

Old
05-01-2014, 07:32 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreoutdoor View Post
ah, so you have no problems milking the LHS so that you can save a few shekels ?
I would expect EVERY LHS to have a 'fitting' charge, which then gets zero'd when skates are purchased. Pro service has value, in all things. Don;'t expect to get it for free. I'm surprised when they don;t charge.
If you know what you need then go buy it on the interweb. If you need someone's help who really knows, then be ready to pay them
I bought top of the line skates from my LHS and I paid a butt load (50% more than if I bought them online). The good news is that they fit...really well. I really can't justify paying extra for a stick (no one has offered to provide professional stick fitting and shooting advice in my area) so I buy them online.

IMO, you have to be fair. If a LHS adds value (e.g. proper skate fitting, after sale support, convenience, ability to get the right size) then you should pay extra. If you know what you need or aren't that picky then by all means buy online to save money.

Old
05-06-2014, 05:07 PM
pix530

Need to choose pair of new junior skates for advanced two-way forward with relatively wide foot.
Currently Supremes .6

Would be this one the best:
Bauer Supreme One.8 Jr. Ice Hockey Skates

Old
05-06-2014, 05:34 PM
AIREAYE

It would be a good upgrade if they still fit.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:50 AM
NativeHockey77*

Does anyone know when the ReeBok Rib Cor Jr skates are available in Canada?

Old
05-08-2014, 12:54 PM
AIREAYE

They're already available.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:03 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 578
When would you say it's time to accept you bought skates that are the wrong fit?

Been trying to break in my RBZ 70s since February. When I tie them snug my feet ache all over very shortly after hitting the ice. They hurt with stock insoles and superfeet. I've had them baked twiced and had a spot punched. I kept thinking my feet weren't used to it as I'm relatively inexperienced. They are size 6 D width. I was fitted twice, I definitely think the length is appropriate. If I have any doubts its that they might be too narrow.

Just thought I'd ask here.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:09 PM
AIREAYE

They probably don't fit.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:24 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 578
Thought as much. Thanks. Would it be impossible to sell them after being baked and having a slight punch? If I can get some value out of them that would be great. If not oh well.

Old
05-09-2014, 07:01 AM
AIREAYE

Just let buyers know in the description.

Old
05-09-2014, 02:28 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
If you have a decent shop with a variety of equipment, pay them to fit your skates. I would be more than willing to receive quality service at a fee, if such was available to me.
So glad none of my LHS or even the bigger "name" hockey stores do this around here. Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY understand the theory behind it. It stinks for a qualified sales associate to take his or her time to fit someone perfectly to a pair of skates, only to have that person turn around and buy them online.

However, as someone who wouldn't do that, I am happy I don't have to pay to have someone fit me. Personally, I'd still be weary of ordering skates online(more power to you for those that do). I want to be fitted, and try on the exact pair that I am going to spend so much time in. Thats just me though.

Closed Thread