HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
03-27-2014, 10:26 PM
dale 1919

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
It matters not what WE want. SN has spoken and THEY want this format. I forgot if I mentioned this before, but SN wants a "Championship Sunday" where both Hockey finals and both Basketball finals will be played to an audience of millions of rabid CIS fans.

As noted above, all three conferences are represented by the 2 finalists. OUA gets the play-in winner as would the AUS if one of the finalists is the host.
Hey AUS fan welcome back from Florida. So tell me what you think of this new format.
8 teams one rink one hotel in Halifax.
the host committee didn't bid on this format I don't think!? ouch !!
4 games Thursday
4 games Friday
4 teams out on Friday
True semi- final
3 teams from OUA
2 teams from CW
3 teams from AUS
**2015 & 2016 men: 4 regional association champions (Canada West, OUA West, OUA East, AUS), 1 host (StFX in 2015 / Saint Mary’s in 2016), 1 assigned berth to Canada West, 1 assigned berth to OUA, 1 assigned berth to AUS.*** (copied from press release)
however I think the OUA has plans for it to be 4 OUA?
but they will have to bid?

and after McGill most if not all are way less then average?
funny site this week.........
Half of the OUA boys out on the cold prairie tundra looking for players like lost coyotes!! ' WE JUST LOVE THE CHARACTER OF THE PRAIRIE BOYS!'
They had never seen a single lane highway let alone dark periods with no apparent on coming traffic other than deer and the occasional moose.:
I thought most of our Canadian population lived in Ontario town?

SO
who is footin the bill for the extra two teams this next two years?
I am sure that wasn't in the bid?
Surely there will be a bronze medal game! CIS thinks these are great?
Do you remember the last bronze medal game in Freddy beach??
AB and UNB. Some old gentleman was dropping the ceremonial puck and the two teams were carving each other like it was an OT faceoff! that old guy barely lived!!
do you think there will be a 5/6 game? will need three refs for that one?
IMO there is no appetite for this format.
SN forced the CIS hands IMO and will kill the hosts! no profit no interest AND big headaches! especially for the 4 teams one and done!!
did you see any grapefruit league action?

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:14 PM
AUS Fan

First of all, congrats to the Rutherford Dogs on a pretty good run at the Nationals.

who is footin the bill for the extra two teams this next two years?
I am sure that wasn't in the bid?

My understanding is that the CIS will cover all the additional expenses for the extra 2 teams, extra officials, buses, etc in year one.

Surely there will be a bronze medal game! CIS thinks these are great?

Do you remember the last bronze medal game in Freddy beach??

There will be a Bronze game and I certainly do remember that game in Freddybeach. Neither team wanted to be there and it spiraled into a gong show.

did you see any grapefruit league action?

Saw a couple of Detroit Tiger games in Lakeland. More importantly, I saw Lightning-Canuck game where they celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Cup win. They had a lot of the staff and players back from that era including Torts. Got a replica Cup ring. Not made of plastic, either; it has some heft to it. Looks the same as Darrell Young's ring. Friend of mine works at the Forum in Chase Club Lounge. I bought the cheapest seats and he got me in the Lounge. Got to meet Phil Esposito and Brian Bradley. Had a blast there. Good bunch of folks to hang out with.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 05:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

One thing I just noticed...the "Super Championship Weekend" is March 12th-15th next year, about a week earlier than the University Cup is usually held. So how is the schedule going to work? The 2nd half of the season is crammed enough as it is...they usually start it at the beginning of January and the playoffs start the Wed. after the regular season wraps up...so not a lot of wiggle room there. Will they start the season a week earlier (end of September as opposed to beginning of October) or maybe do a 16/12 or 15/13 1st half/2nd half split as opposed to 14/14 to cram as many games into the 1st half as possible in an effort to wrap up the season a week earlier.

Also, with the AUS now getting two automatic berths I assume the Finals will go to a best-of-3 and the semi-finals to a best-of-5 permanently. The 3rd place match-up (when required) I also assume will be a best-of-3 and coincide with the schedule of the Finals.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 08:05 AM
AUS Fan

The early date should not present much of a problem. One common theme coming out of the Nationals (when a team loses) is the time off since their last game. So, finish playoffs, go to the Nationals. I think there was a 16/12 last year when the Nationals were a week earlier.

You could have a best-of-3 for the final AUS spot. Curious what the AUS will come up with.

Old
03-29-2014, 08:59 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Ice conditions? Will a second arena ( forum) be needed if there is 8 teams invoved?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 09:05 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Ice conditions? Will a second arena ( forum) be needed if there is 8 teams invoved?
There is only going to be one extra game over the course of the tournament (the bronze medal game)...and still only 2 games/day max.

Old
03-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
One thing I just noticed...the "Super Championship Weekend" is March 12th-15th next year, about a week earlier than the University Cup is usually held. So how is the schedule going to work?

Also, with the AUS now getting two automatic berths I assume the Finals will go to a best-of-3 and the semi-finals to a best-of-5 permanently. The 3rd place match-up (when required) I also assume will be a best-of-3 and coincide with the schedule of the Finals.
This is no different than last year (2012-13). The tournament ended on the 17th as the Blades started their playoffs the next weekend.

The 2012/13 season was a 16/12 split with the last weekend being a single game on Friday. You could move a first-half Wednesday game into the second half for a 15-13 split. Last season was also a 3-5-3 for the playoffs. The impact is - you can't wait until Christmas to fix a problem, the season could be over with only 12-13 games left. Other than that - I can't see it being a problem. The season would start the weekend after Canadian Thanksgiving.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Bob Stauffer

Re: Dale 1919

As someone who was on Alberta's organizing committee in 2004 and 2005 I concur with your thoughts on the CIS putting the hosts of the tournaments in a tough spot to turn a profit with the eight-team format.
What happens if your host team gets eliminated in the quarter-final?
Only one home gate...a host school is disadvantaged(mod edit) here.
As we have seen countless times in one game anything can happen.
Case in point. Canada losing to Switzerland in 2006. Or several top end CIS teams outshooting teams 2 to 1 in a game but losing in a squeaker.
At least with the imperfect round-robin you have a chance to advance to the final even with an opening-game loss...I.E. Alberta in 2008 or Western in 2009.
Unfortunately I had to broadcast two bronze medal games when UNB hosted in 2003 and 2004.
Alberta wanted no part of either game! They had two very different opponents in those year's.
UNB was mentally checked out (polite-term) and the Bears crushed the V-Reds in 2003.
In 2004 Dalhousie played as though it was the seventh-game of the Stanley Cup final...which makes sense since they have never won anyhting..lol.
FYI...The fencing that occured in the ceremonial face-off took place prior to the Alberta-UNB semi-final game in 2004 not the Bronze medal game.

PS the University Cup has been seen all-around Edmonton. Hope this becomes a regular occurrence...but it won't be easy.

Cheers.

Stauffer

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-30-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: phrasing
Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Rob

If they are doing a best of 8 from now on I wonder if it might now make more sense just to keep it in a 'neutral' location? ie- Toronto again

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 08:06 AM
AUS Fan

How did this get in the UNB thread? Are you guys padding your stats?

Old
03-30-2014, 10:06 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
As someone who was on Alberta's organizing committee in 2004 and 2005 I concur with your thoughts on the CIS putting the hosts of the tournaments in a tough spot to turn a profit with the eight-team format.
What happens if your host team gets eliminated in the quarter-final?
Only one home gate...a host school could get screwed here.
I think the fact that it is in Halifax will mitigate some of that...the AUS is so well supported out here, plus all of the schools are close enough that the other two AUS representatives should also draw well enough for their games. So even if X or SMU go down early in the next two years the crowds should still be decent (unless all the AUS teams go out in the 1st round).

Old
03-30-2014, 11:26 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Gone for sure:
Chris Culligan- Texas (AHL) 5
Nick MacNeil- Bakersfeild (ECHL) 4
Shea Kewin- graduation 5 (transfer from Dal)
Charles Lavigne- graduation 5 (transfer from STU)
Tim Priamo- graduation 5 ( transfer from Guelph)

Culligan and MacNeil are top 6 forwards, the other 3 aren't impact players.
There are bound to be a couple more move on, as Shutron is most likely done and Desnoyer also has a year left, but will he be back? If so, we will be looking at a pretty young backend.
Has anyone heard if Shutron, Desnoyer are coming back?

Old
03-30-2014, 02:24 PM
AUS Fan

Bob Stauffer wrote: "FYI...The fencing that occured in the ceremonial face-off took place prior to the Alberta-UNB semi-final game in 2004 not the Bronze medal game"

If memory serves me, the guy doing the Ceremonial puck drop was Gene Chiarello, a UNB goalie who had suffered a brain tumor. Highly emotional event for the UNB players, to say the least. Alberta was the home team, so Blair St Martin won the draw from Ryan Lindsay. Lindsay speared St Martin in the nether regions and the teams kinda squared off. I was expecting a line brawl. Next day in the Bronze game Rob Daum started his 5th year guys except for St Martin. I took that to mean that Daumer was NOT happy with his actions on Saturday.

Old
03-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Bob Stauffer

Blair St. Martin should have let UNB win the draw!
It was a home game for them.
And St. Martin was in Medical School then, you would think he would have had an appreciation for Chiarello.
Bears were 39-0-2 heading into the game and got hosed early in the third when they had a disallowed goal that would have made it 5-2.
V-Reds got life, scored three straight, went up 5-4. Bears tied it in last minute with goalie pulled.
Lost in OT.
Won the University Cup in the next two seasons in '05 and '06...

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 11:45 PM
dale 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
Blair St. Martin should have let UNB win the draw!
It was a home game for them.
And St. Martin was in Medical School then, you would think he would have had an appreciation for Chiarello.
Bears were 39-0-2 heading into the game and got hosed early in the third when they had a disallowed goal that would have made it 5-2.
V-Reds got life, scored three straight, went up 5-4. Bears tied it in last minute with goalie pulled.
Lost in OT.
Won the University Cup in the next two seasons in '05 and '06...
good to know

Last edited by dale 1919: 04-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.
dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 06:31 AM
AUS Fan

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...ey-s-ups-downs

Chris Culligan AHL to ECHL story

Old
04-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Sparks leaving UNB Hockey

The Daily Gleaner published today that UNB Assoc. Coach Todd Sparks would be leaving the program for other challenges. The story goes on to say that he doesn't know what those challenges are yet, but he hinted they could be in any field - not just coaching.

The story mentions he was considering leaving last year, but was lured back with the prospect of helping at WUG.

AD John Richard said that the program would be looking at hiring a replacement. They hinted at trying to get someone from the Alumni to work with the program in some capacity. Todd's main Summer responsibility was the Hockey School.

My read on this - Gardiner will not be leaving when his contract is up in August thus leaving Todd in the Assoc. job for another tenure and I suspect Todd is looking for a head coaching spot and was thinking/hoping that Gardiner would step down and he would become the head coach. I'm sure this will happen some day, just not today I guess.

BTW - in case you were wondering, former UNB player and CIS coach Karl Taylor is the Assist. Coach of the Winterhawks with his former UNB coach Mike Johnson. This was announced last August and they are currently in the WHL finals with 2-1 lead over Kelowna.

Old
04-29-2014, 09:19 AM
Rob

As you have probably already read in the Gleaner Peter Trainor has committed to the VReds for next season barring any pro offers.

Spoke to a team member yesterday about the exhibition schedule this season. He said that they will definitely be playing U of Maine and the Portland Pirates in Maine. There is also talk about going to Michigan for at least a couple of games but that may not be until the following season.

Old
04-29-2014, 08:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
As you have probably already read in the Gleaner Peter Trainor has committed to the VReds for next season barring any pro offers.
Interesting to read that they have had their eye on him and have been basically recruiting him for about 13 years.

We are also now starting to see some of those original V-Reds prospects finishing their junior career...I would think this will help UNB moving forward.

Old
05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Interesting to read that they have had their eye on him and have been basically recruiting him for about 13 years.

We are also now starting to see some of those original V-Reds prospects finishing their junior career...I would think this will help UNB moving forward.
Yes - I agree. They are calling players who know how good the program is, are familiar with the school/arena, the staff and city. A much easier sell compared to trying to get a WHL'er who sees UNB & Fredericton as an 'unknown'

Old
05-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Rob

With Duffy gone I really have my fingers crossed for Trainor coming. With the potential loss of a couple of other players being rumored it should make for an exciting recruitment season.

Old
05-09-2014, 03:55 PM
RED ARMY EAST

I will be surprised if Rob Henniger isn't announced as the V- Reds next full time assistant coach.
He lives in town and his wife just gave birth this past year. He is a former National champ, who is passionate about the program. "A good fit"

Old
05-09-2014, 06:07 PM
CIS Supporter

Yes maybe. Seems to make sense. Will they advertise for the job or just pick someone?

Have they announced McDougall's new contract yet? Folks here have said his contract is finished soon.

CIS Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIS Supporter View Post
Yes maybe. Seems to make sense. Will they advertise for the job or just pick someone?

Have they announced McDougall's new contract yet? Folks here have said his contract is finished soon.
If it's a department job, then 'yes' they have to post. If the job is payed through the hockey program (from there own private funds) then they can do whatever they want.

There has been no news on Gardiner's contract. From what I could calculate - he is done this August. But, given that Todd has left - I'm taking that to mean that Gardiner is staying and Todd didn't want to wait for hist chance at being the head coach. Now, it was mentioned in the Gleaner article that he wanted to leave last year and Gardiner talked him into staying for one more year to help with WUG.

Old
05-13-2014, 10:09 AM
FreddtFoyle

UNB Human Resources has posted the job opening to replace Todd Sparks - Associate Head Coach & Hockey Camp Coordinator.

http://www.unb.ca/hr/_resources/php/...php?theid=Zp-l

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote