HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Markov

Old
05-08-2014, 09:34 AM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRockBruinsChoke View Post
What do you guys think of him?

He has the lowest +/- in the team (minus 4) for someone who is supposed to be our most experienced d-man. Also he played all 7 games (with one of the highest minutes) and yet only has 2 powerplay assists...

We'll see after the playoffs if he will be worth resigning at $6mil but he's definitely one of the players that need to step up.
Without Markov the Habs wouldn't have made the playoffs, let alone beat Tampa or be in the lead in the Boston series. End of that question, for me! It's a team game and Markov is the epitome of team player believe Dat!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:34 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Depends on what he wants.

He's slowed down considerably and I can't imagine it getting any better. I actually mistook him for Murray last game on one play where he got burned because he looked so slow.

His positioning was always his strength defensively, but he's too slow now to gain position on the other guys and he just looks poor defensively too often.

I wouldn't go more than 2 years, and it would need to be less than $5m for me to consider re-signing him.

Sure, he's still a threat on the powerplay, and he can still make a great outlet pass, but to me that's not enough for the amount of money he's likely to be asking.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:40 AM
S Bah

Beaulieu and Tinordi will be rookies next season and one of their mentors will be Markov, a very good mentor, to teach them poise and calm under pressure. Nobody better ask the Hab defencemen?

Old
05-08-2014, 09:43 AM
optimus2861

I think he'll be done before he hits 40; he's really slowing down as he ages. He's still got great hockey IQ, good positioning, and make great passes. He can still play in the top 4 for another year or two; it's imperative next season that Beaulieu is brought into the lineup with much more frequency than this year to prepare to make the inevitable transition.

Hopefully Markov would sign for 2 years; 3 might be too much.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

If he wasn't in the lineup, the Habs would not be 5 - 1 in the PO.

He could still sign in Mtl for 2 and get a 3rd year somewhere else.

Young teams can always use a vet like that.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:51 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Beaulieu and Tinordi will be rookies next season and one of their mentors will be Markov, a very good mentor, to teach them poise and calm under pressure. Nobody better ask the Hab defencemen?
I don't know - people are all concerned about Vanek when he's 37 and are willing to give a 35-year old Markov (who seems older since his injuries) another 3-4 years.

To be honest, next year, there might be room for Markov, but I would hope that the following year, Beaulieu is ready to take on that role and I wouldn't want to be stuck with Markov making $5.5m taking his spot for another 2-3 years.

I think we have plenty of experience back there to teach the young guys. Two years, I'm good with (at $4.5m), but otherwise, I think we could do fine with that money spent elsewhere.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
If he wasn't in the lineup, the Habs would not be 5 - 1 in the PO.

He could still sign in Mtl for 2 and get a 3rd year somewhere else.

Young teams can always use a vet like that.
Habs are 6-1, actually!

I would be fine with him for 3 more years. Absolutely fine. The gerontophobia here is really .

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:41 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Habs are 6-1, actually!

I would be fine with him for 3 more years. Absolutely fine. The gerontophobia here is really .
When I was closing 50 I could still outwork two journeyman that were in their 20's, so 35 is young for a defenceman! or forward, why do people think this way? They must know really lazy people or something's not right in their way of thinking.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I like Markov and despite his drawbacks I think he's still doing a decent job back there.

That being said, I'd be fine with him walking. It would really depend on how much he wants. I don't want him costing us Vanek. I don't think he'd be willing to take a cut in salary but that's about the only way I'd keep him.

I'll go one step further and have people really be ticked but I'd keep Weaver AND Murray over him. I'd take a chance with Weaver on the 2nd pairing at the beginning of next year until one of Tinordi or Beaulieu can step up and take it. Murray would essentially be a 7th/8th D man

If Galchenyuk could somehow play the point on the PP that would really help.

It would be a dicey move but could pay off in terms of saving money. Again if he wants to take a significant pay cut and/or a shorter term then fine but I think we could survive without him.
Why keep Murray? He isn't improving with age. Isn't it time to play Beaulieu or Tinordi regularly? The Bruins have used three or four youthful Dmen. And where does the suggestion to use Galchenyuk on the point come from? His D (+/-) as a forward hasn't been great. I wouldn't trust him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He's been a little bit shakier lately than we'd like, but he's still a good #2 overall. I won't get too worried about just a few games. The whole season picture has been very bright for Markov overall.

I still assume a 3-year deal for him at roughly the same $$$ he currently makes is essentially a slam dunk.
I honestly think he seems fatigued which is strange considering the layoff.
The Sotchi effect?
We are asking a lot of him and I'd really like to see him in the 24 min range as opposed to the high 20's
low thirties we've seen for such extended periods this year. unfortunately the make up of our D won't allow for that...
Without a doubt he is our "General" in so many ways.
His mobility and stamina are perhaps his greatest demons now.
People forget he used to have an explosive side that allowed him to jump many plays.
His mind still jumps his body doesn't... Sigh
This seems to be affecting his O play transition and PP particularly late in shifts.
He just can't get to where he really wants to go.
Having said that there is still a mentorship role for him with PK.
If anyone can help smooth out the rough edges its him.
If anyone can help with economy of movement and mastering your ice it's him.
So 3yrs isn't out of the question but we absolutely need to make sure its not at the cost of development.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:56 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Andrei "The General" Markov - 3G 18A in 62 career playoff games

12 pts in his last 39 playoff games

He seems to really fall off in the playoffs.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:58 PM
habscup

It's not just about points, look at his transition game, look at him intercepting clearing attemps, soft passes, he's really an asset out there. Not to mention logging all those minutes, and keeping every game close. Not everybody is PK Subban.

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Gary320

Yeah Markov's been stellar in this series. He was okay versus Tampa but he's been very very reliable vs Boston. Can't just look at the points.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Alexander Edler*

The board is really reaching for the dumps when people start wondering about Markov's performance. Sheesh.

Alexander Edler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
12 pts in his last 39 playoff games

He seems to really fall off in the playoffs.
No, he just concentrates more on defense and he's doing a great job at it.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 05:39 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
No, he just concentrates more on defense and he's doing a great job at it.
Right. That has to be it.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Yeah Markov's been stellar in this series. He was okay versus Tampa but he's been very very reliable vs Boston. Can't just look at the points.
He's doing about 70% of what he used to be able to do which was Stellar.

Old
05-09-2014, 05:58 PM
TT1

markov's been solid in the playoffs, id easily give him 6M for 2+ years

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Why keep Murray? He isn't improving with age. Isn't it time to play Beaulieu or Tinordi regularly? The Bruins have used three or four youthful Dmen. And where does the suggestion to use Galchenyuk on the point come from? His D (+/-) as a forward hasn't been great. I wouldn't trust him.
Galchenyuk needs to play by the half boards and down low on the PP, where he can control the play withPK.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Andy

Markov is far less riskier in the POs, that's why his points dip. He does play the offensive blue line aggressive, pinches less and is more focused making safe plays. His defensive game is so underrated. He's the Plekanec of the POs. Sacrifices offense to shutdown opponents.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
I don't mind Markov but when hes playing more than Subban it worry's me.. Subban can be more effective, hes lot faster, quicker, stronger and has a TONs of energy. He can easily play 30 mins+ every game and he wont be tired.

I'm 100% confident that if Subban played more he would be even better than what we have seen so far.

Markov is not worth 6 mils, no way, not with us at least.. in my opinion,.

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Markov is far less riskier in the POs, that's why his points dip. He does play the offensive blue line aggressive, pinches less and is more focused making safe plays. His defensive game is so underrated. He's the Plekanec of the POs. Sacrifices offense to shutdown opponents.
His points have been in decline for sometime.
He will never be in/near the team lead like he once was.
We don't have a better player on this team (Plecky comes closest) when it comes to anticipation.
The Guy is a Hockey Genius. The brains workin' but the body rebels... sigh

Old
05-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Draft

We don't have any other options. There are defenceman I'd prefer and I strongly believe Markov is in steep decline but, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. I'd keep him on one year deals until such a time that one of our rookies steps up or a legitimate top-3/4 defenceman becomes available.

6milx3 years for Markov is ****ing stupid. It's like people have never seen players age before

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
We don't have any other options. There are defenceman I'd prefer and I strongly believe Markov is in steep decline but, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. I'd keep him on one year deals until such a time that one of our rookies steps up or a legitimate top-3/4 defenceman becomes available.

6milx3 years for Markov is ****ing stupid. It's like people have never seen players age before
I have no issues with the money.
For me it's the left handedness of the players we need to develop.
Emelin needs to play on the left Tin Man, Bollie, we still have this critical imbalance that needs to GTFO.
I don't see why we need to keep both Josh and Markov going forward. If the plan is to build a Cup winning team we'd better start using the players who are going to win it for us don't you think.

Old
05-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post

I think you almost have to sign Markov for 3 years knowing you are going to be buying him out for his last season or you pass on him. I don't see him taking a 1 year deal and he's probably going to pass on a 2 year deal.

If management decides to go with the rookies instead, we likely won't be making the playoffs, especially if Gorges or Emelin gets injured, we might be picking top 5.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote