HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drake traded to TO

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Berehowsky was arguably the Pens' worst defenseman in 2003-04 and that is stating a lot. Some other defensemen make mistakes that don't really get noticed. Berehowsky is the type of defenseman that loses an edge while trying to make a move in front of his own goaltender--even though he's the last player back. In other words, he has all the hockey sense of Tonya Harding.

If the Leafs would have given Pitt NOTHING, it would have been a good trade. As it stands, it's still ok... :p

Old
02-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Berehowsky was arguably the Pens' worst defenseman in 2003-04 and that is stating a lot. Some other defensemen make mistakes that don't really get noticed. Berehowsky is the type of defenseman that loses an edge while trying to make a move in front of his own goaltender--even though he's the last player back. In other words, he has all the hockey sense of Tonya Harding.

If the Leafs would have given Pitt NOTHING, it would have been a good trade. As it stands, it's still ok... :p
21 points in 47 games is not bad for a defenceman, though he was awful in his own zone, but he was also overused here.

Old
02-11-2004, 04:06 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27

You've got to remember, Drake was being called upon to log #1 or #2 minutes, something he's just not accustomed to doing (or really capable of doing) at this level. He put up some good numbers, blocked shots more often than any other of our guys and, according to Edzo, was very vocal on the ice and in the locker room.

Regardless, he was on a one-year deal that would have seen him head elsewhere at seasons end. Its a fair deal from both perspectives.

Old
02-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Evilo

I LOVE this trade.
Jackman is a guy that has all the tools, but has yet to find the toolbox.
He's a good skater, with good offensive tools and a mean streak.
So far he hasn't been able to show his stuff, not so much because of the conditions but because he didn't play well enough.
But the Pens have a history of turning this kind of guys around (Straka, Kovalev, Lang, Robitaille, Tarnstrom, etc...). When you consider that Berehowsky was a UFA signing for peanuts, getting Jackman for basically free is a very good chance to take. If it doesn't work out, we don't lose anything. If it does, we might have found ourselves a pretty good Dman.

Old
02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
I love this trade as well.

I would have loved Drake for an 8th too though.

Old
02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Until one of them makes a positive impact on their new team, it's just one "bag of pucks" for another AFAIC. Nothing trade. Like trading in your rusted out Buick for a rusted out Oldsmobile....

Old
02-11-2004, 05:24 PM
craig1

I have now heard it all.....over in the trade rumors section, there is a comparison of this trade and the one that sent Larry Murphy to the Red Wings. Yes, the Drake is now being compared to a hall of fame defenseman who won multiple cups as a #1 D-man or a 2nd pairing guy! Why is it that a team can't possibly look for depth? Why must every minor deal be made out like some team just acquired an All-Star?

Old
02-11-2004, 05:25 PM
craig1

Come to think about it....I think I'd rather have Murphy is his mid-forties on a team.........

Old
02-11-2004, 05:39 PM
kutdacheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
I think Drake has always recieved unfair criticism on this board. I know I am in the vast minority on this one, but "The Drake" played VERY well offensively and was a liability defensively. That much is what we agree on for the most part.Yet he was playing more minutes a night than he should have been, and Tarnstrom wasn't all that special defensivly either. The two of them combined made alot of mistakes in thier own zone. If you play Drake a good 14 minutes a night in Toronto, on a power play unit and with a good defensive D-man, then he will do alot better.That is the type of defenseman that Drake is. He also played physical, which is something we always wanted from our D-men.
He just wasnt able to play to what would be his strengths here in Pittsburgh because of the personnel we have. Logging top minutes, this guy is gonna get burned.
At any rate, I feel he has been a better asset this year than Focht, Melichar, Bergevin and Boileau. I realize that this is all my opinion and subjective, but I think Toronto wins this trade as Drake will be able to be more of an asset to the Leafs, primarily because they will be able to use him in the proper context. Something we simply were unable to do.
It's just not your opinion, Stardog.

Old
02-11-2004, 05:42 PM
kutdacheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention he has scored a few in his own net.
That's good then, he can fit right in with no training period here!

Old
02-11-2004, 06:04 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
I think Drake has always recieved unfair criticism on this board. I know I am in the vast minority on this one, but "The Drake" played VERY well offensively and was a liability defensively. That much is what we agree on for the most part.Yet he was playing more minutes a night than he should have been, and Tarnstrom wasn't all that special defensivly either. The two of them combined made alot of mistakes in thier own zone. If you play Drake a good 14 minutes a night in Toronto, on a power play unit and with a good defensive D-man, then he will do alot better.That is the type of defenseman that Drake is. He also played physical, which is something we always wanted from our D-men.
He just wasnt able to play to what would be his strengths here in Pittsburgh because of the personnel we have. Logging top minutes, this guy is gonna get burned.
At any rate, I feel he has been a better asset this year than Focht, Melichar, Bergevin and Boileau. I realize that this is all my opinion and subjective, but I think Toronto wins this trade as Drake will be able to be more of an asset to the Leafs, primarily because they will be able to use him in the proper context. Something we simply were unable to do.
i disagree. while i dont think he was as bad as evryone says, i dont think he was that valuable. i dont think he was that physical, and 15 of his 21 points came from the pp, meaning his even strength prosuction was very limited.

i also disagree with him being a bigger assett than focht and melichar. while melichar hasnt played as well in the past, i'd rather have him playing at 90% for 80 games than 100% for 20 games, which has been the case teh past two years. focht i also think has been a good physical force. granted, he still needs plenty of work, but he still has time. berehowsky isnt getting any better.

as i havent seen jackman play, i cant make a fair assessment of who won the trade.

Old
02-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Jacob

The Penguins got good mileage out of Drake. Some offensive punch and some leadership for dirt cheap. Now, they get a young player.

I think their intentions all along were to give Berehowsky all the time in the world to find his game so that he could be dealt at the deadline, and they succeeded. But if the Penguins want veteran guys, there are better options out there than Drake, Bergevin, and the rest.

Old
02-11-2004, 07:00 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
Come to think about it....I think I'd rather have Murphy is his mid-forties on a team.........
Bring them all back. Murphy, Coffey, Samuelsson. I'm sure Coffey still has some wheels and Samuelsson would be still be physical(even if he is around 40). Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Samuelsson take McKenna's spot.

Closed Thread