HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kostitsyn healthy scratch vs Islanders

Old
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Reuben

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Do you know what the U.S.S.R is? Belarus.. Belarussians.. They may not be from Russia, but they are russian.
I do know what the USSR WAS, thanks. it's 2007 now though.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I do know what the USSR WAS, thanks. it's 2007 now though.
Yeah it is 2007.. but Nietzche is still right.. The only inexhaustible resource on the planet is human stupidity.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
That is a big concern, but hopefully that will be addressed tonight. I see no problem in going with the same lineup that finally managed to win a game last time out, but they gotta show more (consistant) effort and a better result if they want if they all want to keep their ice time. Tonight we faceoff against a major rival in terms of making the post-season so if the boys get the job done, they deserve to keep getting played. But if anyone can't find it within themsleves to play their best or at least give all they have, I hope Carbo looks to make changes before the following game. My concern is that Carbo sticks with this lineup for a series of games, regardless of results. If they get wins then major changes aren't needed but if anyone doesn't put forward the effort, they should not be allowed to feel as though their position on the team is going to be set in stone for any length of time. I expect Sammy is as good as done for the season with us so that leaves Kostitsyn and when healthy Perezhogin as competition for places. If anyone isn't up to the job, I hope these kids get a shot because they don't deserve to be left on the sidelines if anyone isn't going all out.

As for the Kostitsyn scratch issue, I can understand it. Hopefully though, Carbo or someone else is explaining to him the reasons for such a decision. Kostitsyn himself has already said that when he was in Hamilton, nobody from the organisation kept him up to speed with what was going on and wasn't it reported that Carbo didn't speak to Sammy for quite a while? How many times does one organisation need to repeat a single mistake that shouldn't happen once? One of my biggest fears is that nobody learns from the mistakes made and we repeat them yet again even though it is one of the most basic and important things that a team can do - communicate with each other. There cannot be an excuse for such a lack of communication in the future, especially after what we have seen happen this year.
Couldn't agree more.

Reuben

Quote:
Yeah it is 2007.. but Nietzche is still right.. The only inexhaustible resource on the planet is human stupidity.
indeed

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Whilst I like to think I keep it positive for the most part, these boards would be pretty ****ing boring if all we did was agree with management's decisions. Suck it up and live with it, the negative posters aren't going to leave because of another daily "keep it positive" essay.
But I'm not bemoaning a negative opinion, brownman. And we have every right to voice differing opinions. The board is simply swamped by vermin who post one-liners about how this or that sucks, and forever spinning every positive into 10 negatives.

It's brutal. There actually used to be decent discussion here. Why don't the negatrons suck it up themselves, accept that it's a tough season and either get lost or find some horses to beat that have a but more life in them ?

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think a team fighting for a playoff spot in 8-9-10 priority should of course be making playoffs, but still keeping an eye towards building for next year. Hopefully by doing that you won't be fighting for a playoff spot the next year, you'll be sitting comfortably in one.
I think in theory this is a good idea for management, but in reality this is hard to do. I don't think any member of the Canadiens (except for maybe some scouts) are even thinking about next year. 100% of the focus right now is on making the playoffs. A couple weeks ago, the focus might of been a little different but right now, the entire focus is on making the playoffs.

Carbo owes it to the other players, managment, George Gillette, the fans, and so on, to do everything in his power to make the playoffs this year. Now, the decisions he makes might not be the right ones (in hindsight), but he has to make the ones he feels are right.

I agree that if given the choice between Kost and Murray tonight, I would be temepted to go with Kost, but Carbo feels that the lineup that gives us the best chance to win tonight, is one that includes Murray over Kost. This might have to do with some factors, that maybe us as fans, don't know about. Who knows???

Quote:
I don't think management and coaching should just pack it in this year, not sure where you saw that in my post. I just don't think that playing Murray for example, improves our chances of winning more than playing and at the same time developping Kostitsyn would. You disagree with that? You think Murray brings any impact to this team when he plays? Cause I definately don't.
From my vantage point, I agree with you, but there are so many things those close to the team can see that we can't. Also the inability to predict the future makes it hard for me to know which is the better choice. Like I said earlier, I might be tempted to play Kost over Murray, but then again by sitting Kost, it's not like I'm taking a 20 goal scorer out of the lineup.....or a 10 goal scorer....or a 3 goal scorer, or a.....

Quote:
I think Andrei Kostitsyn by his play in the AHL this year, has more than earned a chance to play in the NHL in more than 3 or 4 games on consistently shifting lines.
I don't think what you do in the AHL earns you anything more than the trip up. Once your here your AHL stats and such, mean nothing. There are alot of great AHL'ers who don't earn too many games in the NHL.

Quote:
Kostitsyn was asked to fill a scoring role, agreed, however how did his linemates respond in that time? Did they score? I know Kostitsyn contributed a few assists so he at least contributed. He was benched after that game vs. the Rangers where the team was shutout, not just him, the whole team.
True, but it is much easier to bench a rookie that a vet. I think everytime a team benches one of their vet's it's a 10X bigger deal to the other players on the team than sitting a rookie. Now, one could argue that we should sit a few vets, but now, imo, isn't the time to play tough with your entire dressing room. Now is the time to try and unite the entire team.

I mean, we could argue that we could sit Saku Koivu tonight, but I bet if management did that, their would be a mutiny in the dressing room...one so big that it could cost coaches their jobs, make it impossible to sign future UFA's....include our own (Markov, Souray, etc.), and make Montreal a less desirable place to play than Siberia the rest of the season.

Quote:
I'm bringing up Kostitsyn's name alot, and I don't want to sound like a fanboy, you could replace his name with alot of other guys i'd rather see in the lineup, just so happens were discussing kosty right now
Understood, and if some ways I do agree with you on many points. These are the type of well thought out discussion I could have all day.

03-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
OMFG, This has to stop... We finally get an good offensive prospect, and we screw him... Seriously, the game he played, he showed that he has gotten a lot better and his passes were totally amazing... Someone should start a petition...

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Le depisteur

Kostitsyn IN...
http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/03..._possibly_wit/

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
So what? He's still not nhl ready anyways...
If Kostitsyn isn't NHL ready than neither are half of the offensive players on this team...especially Lats. I don't say this to bash Lats at all as I am a big fan of his as...I just mean that he's French and he's in the lineup while at the same place, or more likely behind, development-wise when you compare him to Kostitsyn.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
This better be correct. Carbo has to put the kid in. Murray is a piece of trash out there. Useless with no future.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
These lines are good because it adds a defensive presence and big body everywhere.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Demogod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
You ought to read the rest of the post... you're one of (all too many) it's directed at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
But I'm not bemoaning a negative opinion, brownman. And we have every right to voice differing opinions. The board is simply swamped by vermin who post one-liners about how this or that sucks, and forever spinning every positive into 10 negatives.

It's brutal. There actually used to be decent discussion here. Why don't the negatrons suck it up themselves, accept that it's a tough season and either get lost or find some horses to beat that have a but more life in them ?

The situation has become so obtuse with line selection, benching, development, and tactics that one-liners encapsulate what is so beyond the obvious it would be stupidity to recant the matter in detail.

A one-liner to help you with your quest to find out why people are using them "Latendresse stinks"

Demogod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
These lines are good because it adds a defensive presence and big body everywhere.
They're good for a losing team yeah, cause when you look at the other teams you find out good teams add offense to their defensive lines...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
That article is just the author speculating pretty much.

RDS says Niinimaa replaces Kovalev in the line-up:
http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/225224.html

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:45 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
That article is just the author speculating pretty much.

RDS says Niinimaa replaces Kovalev in the line-up:
http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/225224.html
That article also has an audio snippett of Carbonneau saying what he expects out of Kostitsyn tonight.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
That article also has an audio snippett of Carbonneau saying what he expects out of Kostitsyn tonight.
Ya, I noticed that after. I just listened to it, and indeed Carbo says Kostitsyn takes Andrei's spot. So hopefully he didn't change his mind again. He also makes it clear that he's not happy about Sammy's comments, and that if Bonk is out, Niinimaa is likely in (without naming names).

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Demogod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Ya, I noticed that after. I just listened to it, and indeed Carbo says Kostitsyn takes Andrei's spot. So hopefully he didn't change his mind again. He also makes it clear that he's not happy about Sammy's comments, and that if Bonk is out, Niinimaa is likely in (without naming names).

What Carbo should say but never will:

"It’s been a difficult season for the franchise and Sammy... for all of us, but we would like to confirm the commitment to him as a member of the franchise and a player. We see great things happening once we all recover from what is now a riches to rags season...GO HABS GO!!!

Old
03-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
I think Niinimaa is replacing Bonk. If somehow Niinimaa replaces Kosts, then Carb's stupidity will reach a whole new level.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
If Kostitsyn isn't NHL ready than neither are half of the offensive players on this team...especially Lats. I don't say this to bash Lats at all as I am a big fan of his as...I just mean that he's French and he's in the lineup while at the same place, or more likely behind, development-wise when you compare him to Kostitsyn.
Has **** all to do with him being "French".

Unfortunately for the Habs, they have a small, wimpy lineup. Latendresse is one of the few forwards on this team with size. He's pretty inconsistent but will also give a good energy shift, which is more than most forwards can say on this team.

Ideally, Latendresse should have spent his time between the AHL and NHL but unfortunately, the NHL rules prevent the team from doing so.

Add to that that Kost brings much the same as most of the forwards on this team, finesse scoring (and not a whole lot) and you can see that he is simply caught in a bad place.

This is why you've seen Latendresse here all season with the Habs and not Kost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
This better be correct. Carbo has to put the kid in. Murray is a piece of trash out there. Useless with no future.
Yeah, Carbo must have played Murray all these games because he's "French"

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Niinimaa = replacing Bonk.

Old
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Niinimaa = replacing Bonk.
He will play center ?

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Begin, Lapierre, Koivu, Plekanec, Streit, Johnson, Murray can play C

Old
03-13-2007, 07:39 PM
paddy

Quote:
I disagree...regardless of how Kostitsyn has played since his recall (I think he's been ok) I think the issue here is, the Habs drafted him 10th overall in a very deep draft, they drafted him because he had some gamebreaking offsensive skill that needed to be developped.

If the Habs decide to call him up for the final stretch of the season, why not play him and DEVELOP him, why waste time with guys like Garth Murray, who'ss got no future with the Habs or hope for progress in his game and IMO he probably won't be on the team next year. Kostitsyn may still have alot to learn in the NHL, but so does Latendresse, Lapierre, Higgins, Plekanec, and they've all been given a shot to work out the kinks in their games.

If the Habs don't feel like he's ready, fine, send him down to the AHL where he can PLAY, because at this point in Kostitsyn's career, he needs to do just that. This treatment of 'some' players by the Habs coaching staff is something that's been going on for years IMO, they would rather play players with no future than develop players who THEY drafted to be part of their core.

I love Streit's play and all, but he's a defensman, and a better one than Bouillon/Dandenault as well. There's no reasoning to explain why he's playing as your 2nd line right winger, when you've got a guy you drafted in 2003 to be in that exact role sitting in the press box.

Garth Murray doesn't help the Habs win anymore than Kostitsyn would, and anyone who actually believes that needs to pay more attention to the game. Again, the Habs are going to head into next year without knowing whether or not Kostitsyn can handle a top 6 role cause they prefered giving icetime to a player that will in all likelyhood no longer be on the team and be a distant memory.

You guys are seriously trying to convince me and yourselves for that matter, that a player who was put on waivers this year, and cleared them, serves more purpose to the Habs now than a player they drafted, spent money bringing over and developing, finally got playing at a level where he had confidence and was dominant at the AHL level only to now be sitting in the pressbox wasting away NHL development time in anticipation for an increased role next year, for Garth Murray?

Makes no sense IMO and it's bad asset management. I don't understand how the Habs can go from a team that finally shows the patience required with young players like they did with Latendresse early this season when he went scoreless and looked totally overmatched in 13 games...yet, show virtually no patience or foresight with Kostitsyn a player who showed some adaptability and production as soon as he got the chance to play.

This is why the Habs have been mired in mediocracy the last decade, it's because they would rather play with players like Garth Murray, than play and live with the mistakes and successes of players like Kostitsyn .

A most intelligent post!

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Demogod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post

A most intelligent post!

Old
03-13-2007, 07:46 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
Murray is great on PK recently and he doesn't take much penalties.
Let's have a Hab team filled with 5 Garth Murray's, 5 Steve Begin, and 5 Maxim Lapierre, and the rest with Defensemen! That way, the coaches and some fans will be happy because we'll always have a hard-working, heart and soul team with none of those lazy floaters called "offensive skilled players that still have a head over their shoulders".

Oh, BTW, there's a BIG FRIGGIN' difference between being defensively RESPONSIBLE and defensively EFFECTIVE.

If I was a skilled offensive player, I would never, ever want to play for this team. If I'm a defensive grinder that does nothing else but work my butt off and simply backcheck like crazy and never make any risky passes, then I can make a career in this city.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote