HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches for next year

Old
05-09-2014, 09:21 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
MacT also said that Hemsky would not be back at the start of last season...

I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson rethinks his future and if he doesn't land a HC job with all the vacancy's in the NHL this offseason, then maybe he'll accept a job with the big club...
I don't think Todd Nelson is high on anybody's list for a head coaching gig and realistically why would he be? He had one good playoff run in the AHL but still didn't win a championship. He coaches in a pretty dead market in that league and the biggest strike against him is that he's employed by the Oilers organization. We've gone through several head coaching changes here since 2009 and he couldn't land this gig. It's possible he could be hired as an assistant somewhere in the NHL but he isn't being hire as a head coach. Not enough on his resume. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he didn't want to serve as an assistant under Eakins either. He is an established AHL head coach now so my guess is if he doesn't want to keep his job in OKC he takes another head coaching job in the AHL.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Hockey Fan #751

vCash: 500
Lol. Bucky and Smith have jobs for as long as they want them.

My prediction is, by February of next year Eakins and Acton will be gone but Bucky and Smith will still be assistants.

Hockey Fan #751 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 05:43 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
If I'm running the team I fire everyone in the org with "coach" in their title, throw a boatload of money at Trotz, and then let him hand-pick his entire staff. The things he accomplished with a thin roster make me think he could do wonders with AHL roster in Edmonton.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 05:45 AM
The Human Torch

Sadly, the only change we'll likely see will be another Eakins crony or Oiler old-boy added to the existing group of useless meatbags. Charlie Huddy re-hired in 3... 2... 1...

Old
05-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Mitch Korn comes if you hire Trotz, he isn't just available for hire. That's how I see it.
So you're saying the only way the Oilerscan hire Korn is if they fire Eakins and bring in Trotz.

I can live with that

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 10:42 AM
halorex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I don't think Todd Nelson is high on anybody's list for a head coaching gig and realistically why would he be? He had one good playoff run in the AHL but still didn't win a championship. He coaches in a pretty dead market in that league and the biggest strike against him is that he's employed by the Oilers organization. We've gone through several head coaching changes here since 2009 and he couldn't land this gig. It's possible he could be hired as an assistant somewhere in the NHL but he isn't being hire as a head coach. Not enough on his resume. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he didn't want to serve as an assistant under Eakins either. He is an established AHL head coach now so my guess is if he doesn't want to keep his job in OKC he takes another head coaching job in the AHL.
Long time lurker... hence the first post. I live in OKC and have seen a ton of Barons games both home and away.....
The big mistake the Oilers made was not giving Nelson the chance early. He came on board during the Springfield transition, made the playoffs with the Barons the entire time he has been there, with back to back conference final appearances. This is all in a climate of instability (how much mobility over 4 years has he had to deal with?). I read often about the players needing stability to learn systems and that changing coaches hampers this. Nelson has accomplished more than Eakins and Jon Cooper (Coach of the year candidate) with way less talent than either coach. Watching him develop the mental game, off ice skills (players being away from home, taking care of themselves) and personality differences has been impressive. The sad thing is the organization is to the point where its bleeding quality people..... They tend to find opportunities where they are more valued.... then live up to the expectation.....(europe, KHL, etc)
It seems others concur...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...andidates.html

halorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 01:56 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by halorex View Post
Long time lurker... hence the first post. I live in OKC and have seen a ton of Barons games both home and away.....
The big mistake the Oilers made was not giving Nelson the chance early. He came on board during the Springfield transition, made the playoffs with the Barons the entire time he has been there, with back to back conference final appearances. This is all in a climate of instability (how much mobility over 4 years has he had to deal with?). I read often about the players needing stability to learn systems and that changing coaches hampers this. Nelson has accomplished more than Eakins and Jon Cooper (Coach of the year candidate) with way less talent than either coach. Watching him develop the mental game, off ice skills (players being away from home, taking care of themselves) and personality differences has been impressive. The sad thing is the organization is to the point where its bleeding quality people..... They tend to find opportunities where they are more valued.... then live up to the expectation.....(europe, KHL, etc)
It seems others concur...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...andidates.html
I think if Nelson wants to coach in the NHL he has to leave the Oilers organization to find some credibility. He has done a good job in OKC but nobody is going to hire a coach out of the Oilers system for an NHL top job. Our organization is bottom of the barrel. If Nelson goes anywhere else and has the same success it will improve his chances.

Just look at Mactavish for an example, he couldn't land an NHL job, spent one year coaching in the AHL for another organization and presto he's hired to be an NHL GM.

Old
05-13-2014, 02:01 PM
SLURVE

It is time to consider signing Derek Laxdal of the Oil Kings as an Assistant Coach...

I believe it is time to get Derek Laxdal in as one of the assistant coaches. Replace Bucky allowing him to move up stairs or become a scout-anything but an assistant. Laxdal has been a coach of the Oil kings for 4 years making the playoffs each year and reaching the finals 3 times and winning the Chynoweth Cup twice. If that is not an impressive resume then slap me silly and call me Bucky.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Kirk Muller got snatched up pretty quick, I really hope we improve our coaching staff.

IMO we have a sub-standard coaching group, pro-scouts, development program, and management group.

The only things I think are on par with the rest of the league is our GM and our amateur scouting staff. Our prospect development program is taking some good strides mostly due to Katz being willing to bankroll the infrastructure for improvement, but I want actual material proof before I give them any praise.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Soundwave

Don't worry we have Buchburger, who needs Kirk Muller.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 02:18 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Kirk Muller got snatched up pretty quick, I really hope we improve our coaching staff.

IMO we have a sub-standard coaching group, pro-scouts, development program, and management group.

The only things I think are on par with the rest of the league is our GM and our amateur scouting staff. Our prospect development program is taking some good strides mostly due to Katz being willing to bankroll the infrastructure for improvement, but I want actual material proof before I give them any praise.
Our GM believes we have an excellent coaching staff already. There won't be any changes.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I know. with all of the excellent coaches out there, it would be a shame for the Oilers not to bolster their staff.

I expect, and fear, that they will do nothing and keep all the same coaches.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Oilception

Quote:
Our GM believes we have an excellent coaching staff already. There won't be any changes.
Our general manager doesnt pick the assisant coaches, the head coach does

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
The classic oiler shell game that fans fall for so easily it is embarrassing. It's called the no blame game and they are experts at it.

1) Year 1: A GM hires a new coach and suggests he would strongly like to see the two assistants stay. Of course they stay.
2) Year 2: GM once again totally endorses the assistants and head coach after yet another disaster season but of course at the very end of his monologue says 'the coach can hire who he wants to.'

Anyone that thinks mini me MacT would fire those two long time assistants with MacT, Lowe and king Katz liking them is naive at best.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The classic oiler shell game that fans fall for so easily it is embarrassing. It's called the no blame game and they are experts at it.

1) Year 1: A GM hires a new coach and suggests he would strongly like to see the two assistants stay. Of course they stay.
2) Year 2: GM once again totally endorses the assistants and head coach after yet another disaster season but of course at the very end of his monologue says 'the coach can hire who he wants to.'

Anyone that thinks mini me MacT would fire those two long time assistants with MacT, Lowe and king Katz liking them is naive at best.
I believe that If MacT states more than once that Eakins has full control of assistant coaches he does.

if Eakins is choosing to keep them just cause MacT likes them thats on him, coaching staff is his job and if he believes other guys would be better I'm sure he would look elsewhere for the betterment of his own career.

I dont Believe Mactavish or Katz are forcing Eakins to keep them, or even putting pressure

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
I believe that If MacT states more than once that Eakins has full control of assistant coaches he does.

if Eakins is choosing to keep them just cause MacT likes them thats on him, coaching staff is his job and if he believes other guys would be better I'm sure he would look elsewhere for the betterment of his own career.

I dont Believe Mactavish or Katz are forcing Eakins to keep them, or even putting pressure
Then my evaluation for you and others that think the same does fit under 'naive' in my books. If what you say is true then MacTvaish would surely not said a word the last two years when questioned about it other than 'It is 100% up to Dallas Eakins'. In each case he did not. He fully endorsed them before last year and this year. As I said the old shell game, if their performance is held up to scrutiny MacT can defend himself by saying it was Eakins choice, or if he so desires can defend Eakins by saying, Oh I said it was his choice but perhaps I gave too much of an endorsement to them, it is not Eakins fault.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Mr Positive
just fix it, Chia

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Then my evaluation for you and others that think the same does fit under 'naive' in my books. If what you say is true then MacTvaish would surely not said a word the last two years when questioned about it other than 'It is 100% up to Dallas Eakins'. In each case he did not. He fully endorsed them before last year and this year. As I said the old shell game, if their performance is held up to scrutiny MacT can defend himself by saying it was Eakins choice, or if he so desires can defend Eakins by saying, Oh I said it was his choice but perhaps I gave too much of an endorsement to them, it is not Eakins fault.
As I recall, last year Eakins said he kept the assistant coaches the same because if he brought in someone else they would just be different versions of what was already there. He also wanted people who knew the players. That is no longer an issue.

I think Eakins, like most people, doesn't have the connections to be able to fully understand what his options are. Imo it is up to MacTavish to scout for some new assistants, which should work as long as Eakins is involved in the process and has final say on who is hired.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:25 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Really? You still believe that?

Old
05-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Really? You still believe that?
No, the team President picks the assistant coaches.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:43 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
No, the team President picks the assistant coaches.
During the Olympics I googled Karen Percy Lowe because I couldn't remember how much she missed out on the Gold Medal during the Calgary games. I stumbled onto her web site and saw a quote on the main page where she talks about Carla Buchburger being her best friend. It's not too hard to figure out how Kelly Buchburger has survived as many head coaches as he has and why he's still here today. Hard to see this team ever getting better until the entire front office is purged from this nepotism.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:42 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Oates for PP and face-offs sounds like a great idea to me.

Pretty sure Bucky and Smith keep their jobs, though.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 09:55 AM
The Human Torch

Quote:
During the Olympics I googled Karen Percy Lowe because I couldn't remember how much she missed out on the Gold Medal during the Calgary games. I stumbled onto her web site and saw a quote on the main page where she talks about Carla Buchburger being her best friend. It's not too hard to figure out how Kelly Buchburger has survived as many head coaches as he has and why he's still here today. Hard to see this team ever getting better until the entire front office is purged from this nepotism.
fire them all to be safe.

Old
05-15-2014, 12:47 PM
russ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Petry, Marincin, and Klefbom improved under him. Larsen looked somewhat passable.

Ference looked a bit worse than he did in Boston, but that's probably the result of outside factors. It's hard to judge where Justin Schultz should be. I think he was improving over the course of the year, but he definitely had the hardest assignment of any D on the team.

Nick Schultz never did well here, and even regressed imo, but he didn't do all that great in Columbus after we traded him either.

If I didn't know any behind the scenes stuff about Smith I would want him fired as well, but knowing it makes me think he's produced limited results with limited pieces. I still don't get any impression about what Bucky does exactly
Marincin and Klefbom actually improved in the AHL under Nelson, and Marincin took another leap due to his Olympic experience where he was shepherded by Zdeno Chara.

Smith had little to do with that, and Nelson's track record with young defensemen is a big reason why he's desirable as Smith's replacement.

I hope they do something, Eakins needs more support and experienced help or next year will be like this year: only his ideas count and nobody listens after it's obvious they don't work.

russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:57 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

I'm a little interested in Scott Walker.

Any opinions on him as a coach?

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Marincin and Klefbom actually improved in the AHL under Nelson, and Marincin took another leap due to his Olympic experience where he was shepherded by Zdeno Chara.

Smith had little to do with that, and Nelson's track record with young defensemen is a big reason why he's desirable as Smith's replacement.

I hope they do something, Eakins needs more support and experienced help or next year will be like this year: only his ideas count and nobody listens after it's obvious they don't work.
Playing well in the AHL as a defenseman, is definitely a plus to Nelson.

Marincin playing well in the NHL - is NOT on Nelson. Nelson isn't there to guide Marincin in Edmonton, answer questions, go through video review etc. Its on Steve Smith. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote