HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will we grow our own superstar?

Old
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
First of all, from what I've read here and other places, they say he has the complete game, but focuses on his shutdown role.

Secondly, let me throw a name out there: Scott Stevens. Not saying he'll get there, but I think we'd all be MORE than happy if he approached the quality of Stevens, who after 1994 only broke 30 points once (with 31). That guy was the prototypical defensive defenseman and I'd say he was pretty universally recognized as a superstar, no? (And please don't throw back his early career numbers of around 50-55 points a game back at me - my grandmother could have stepped on the ice in the mid-late eighties and averaged at least 5-7 points a year.)
When I originally posted in this thread I thought of Scott Stevens as the exception to the rule. I've never heard that Staal has the physical destructiveness of Stevens. If he does he could qualify as a superstar but since I've never heard or read that I highly doubt it.

Stevens could have continued to be a pretty good point accumulator if his role was changed but Jersey wanted him to play the style he did and it worked out pretty good for him and them.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:43 PM
McRanger

Stevens was also 30 years old when his production dropped, before that he was a a pretty reliable 50-70 point guy who ended his career with almost 200 goals and over 900 points.

"Post '94 Stevens" production is what I hope from Staal: 20-40 points while providing top notch defense. If he gets to that level, I dont think he will be considered a superstar. The best defensive guys rarely are.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
I think we also have to realize that while the Rangers were bad and missed the playoffs for seven years, they weren't HORRIBLY bad. They were always somewhere in the 9,10, or 11 seeds of the East. So they didn't get any playoff appearances, but didn't get the high high picks either. Kinda sucks.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't know...

About superstars...but there is alot of depth in the organization at this point, and in many different positions. I'll take a well rounded team anyday over a team of one or two stars competing for the spotlight.

Montoya in net, Stall, Sanguinetti, and Sauer on the blueline...Dane Byers, Ryan Callahan, Immonen, Dawes, Bourret, Dubinsky, Dupont, Moore, Russell, Anisimov, all in the system. Gotta be happy with the current prospect status the team has...not sure if any of them turn into superstars, but the future does look bright...that is if the oprganization finds a way to work them into the lineup!

Best homegrown as of right now has to be Lundqvist. If there was a superstar i'll have to agree with the general concensus that Henrik would be it.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Fletch

Didn't Stevens' production...

tail off when teams started to trap and scoring went down? Also, I think having Niedermayer out there on the PP hurt his production and PP time a bit.

Interesting not: I think he never had a minus season in his career. I hate the stat, but that's a bit telling.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Goaltending:Henrik & Montoya are legit sueprstar condidates, with henrik of course being much closer. but look at Montys AHL numbers and imagine that as part of a 2-headed monster tandem

Defense: Staal baby, its all about Staal

Offense: Korpikoski. I still think this kid is going to be a superstar, a guy who will net 30+ goals a year. his strength with the puck, and speed are both A+ parts of his game. one more year in the AHL and I think hes going to take broadway by storm.
I disagree with Korps... but I hope you're right. He's played well recently from what I've heard, but I really don't see him as that kind of guy. Even if he turns out to be that 30+ goal guy, that doesn't make him a superstar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
We never get superstars because we never get #1 picks. We never get #1 picks because management here will never, ever stand pat long enough or commit fully to losing to further rebuilding. The only way we ever get a #1 pick would be if we were lucky enough to aquire a first in a trade, and unforseen things happen that make that team that bad. If I recall correctly the last time that kind of thing happened was when the Devils got the Leaf's first rounder for Tom Kurvers and drafted Scott Niedermayer, and he wasn't even first overall. Drafting #6-12 every year will get you alot of nice players but not a whole lot of superstars.
You hit it dead on, we need more top-5 picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
We drafted Marc Savard...He's somewhat a star player in the league right now.
Good point.

Quote:
Kovalev was a star when he wanted to be.
That says it all.

Quote:
Leetch was a super star.
HOF material. The guy is one of only a handful of defenders to ever score 100 points in a season. Not only that, but he was the first american to ever win the Conn Smythe, and scored over 1,000 points.

Quote:
Tony Amonte, Doug Weight were marginal stars.
They were stars alright, just not superstars.

Quote:
Sergei Zubov was/is a star.
Hall of fame material if you ask me as well. The last defender to lead a team in scoring while scoring over a point per game while playing a full season. 89 points in 1994 for the Rangers, the team lead.

Quote:
Currently, Henrik Lundqvist is turning into a star.
He is a star already.

Quote:
We have drafted/grown Superstars in the past. Not all these guys were first round picks. We have to see if any of our current prospects will turn out to be stars in the future.
Anisimov, Sanguinetti, and Montoya have the best chances if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
just keep drafting and scouting.

A team I really admire is Buffalo.

They dont really have any superstars but have so much depth that they win alot of games.
That's the kind of team that wins.

Quote:
Who was the Superstar on Carolina?
Staal had 100 points last year.

Quote:
Who was the Superstar on Tampa Bay?

Lecavilier was not a Superstar till this year.
No but St. Louis won the Art Ross, Hart, Plus-Minus Award, and the Pearson.

Quote:
Building a team Starts from the Goaltender and out.

We have great goaltending now and a prospect.
Yes we do, and that prospect could be the key asset in the big trade for that center.

Quote:
We have a very good group of Defenseman Prospects.

We have a good group of forward prospects, just a little thin at center.
Well said, we're very balanced up front, just not top-heavy.

Quote:
Players like Crosby come up once in 20 years.

Players like Ovechkin come up once in 10 years.

It takes 20 players to win a game.
Great point, but imagine having Crosby, or a guy like him on this team?

Quote:
Superstars are great to have, but I would rather have a deep lineup.

Deep lineups win Stanley Cups.

One other thing I learned this year.

Stay out of the Rental Game.
Great points, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Following that train of thought, I'm going throw the name "Artem Anisimov"...big, rangy kid, just developing his skills. He could be that type of player.
Think of Steve Rucchin in his prime, but more talented offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
Just because Tyutin is our best defenseman doesn't make him a superstar.
Yeah, I found that to be pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
he's still young - had a 'superstar' like season last year when he was a top 3 goalie while winning a gold medal during the season, and has played like a top two goalie over the last 2+ months, in his second NHL season. Maybe he's not a superstar today, but he seems like he may be on his way.
Yeah, Lundqvist was a superstar last year as a rookie, and if not for his slow start this year, he'd HAVE 40 wins right now as well. We'd be probably debating whether he's a future hall of famer or not, instead of debating whether he's a superstar or not.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
In the new era of NHL Free Agency, I'm not too certain how important the "Home Grown Superstar" concept is. I agree that it would be nice. However, when you build a new homegrown superstar in this era, his contract can be up when the kid is merely 25 years old, i.e. Crosby.

I think that under this new CBA we will be watching teams follow Buffalo's lead. Build a strong core of players through the farm (Vanek, Campbell, Miller ect) and then make some free agent moves to put the team into elite status (Drury).

I do believe that guys like Callahan, Dawes, Korp, possibly even Pyatt will be able to effectively fulfill these core roles. We have a franchise SUPERSTAR in Henri, and a potential one in Staal. We can make our acquisitions at foward in the future years and this team will be just fine.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:01 PM
paintballruler*

lundqvist, tyutin, stall, prucha, montoya...plus all of the other guys who have not had a chance on broadway

paintballruler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:02 PM
paintballruler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

Offense: Korpikoski. I still think this kid is going to be a superstar, a guy who will net 30+ goals a year. his strength with the puck, and speed are both A+ parts of his game. one more year in the AHL and I think hes going to take broadway by storm.
Quote:
Appeared in 51 games with TPS Turku of the Finnish League, scoring three goals and four assists for seven points, along with 16 penalty minutes…In two playoff games, he registered one assist… Had a three-game point streak from Sept. 22-30, recording two goals and one assist…Nominated as best Finnish player for Finland U-20… Captured bronze medal at the World Junior Championship, notching 1 goal and five assists for six points and four penalty minutes.

i am going to have to disagree with you on that one

paintballruler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
GarretJoseph*

Marcel Hossa... I think we should get credit for "growing" him... RIGHT?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Marcel Hossa... I think we should get credit for "growing" him... RIGHT?
Good point - let's just hope that the MCL sprain doesn't do to hime what it did to Tomas Kloucek, whom I also loved as a young Ranger. (Feverishly knocking wood as I type.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Good point - let's just hope that the MCL sprain doesn't do to hime what it did to Tomas Kloucek, whom I also loved as a young Ranger. (Feverishly knocking wood as I type.)
There's no comparison injury wise (fortunately for Hossa's sake). Kloucek blew out his ACL as well as his MCL. The MCL can heal on its own, but when you have a complete tear in the ACL the only way to fix it is through reconstructive surgery (MSG showed Kovalev's surgery inbetween periods, it was fasinating), which takes 4-6 months to get back on the ice (except of course the amazing Ozolinsh--whoever cleared him so early should have his license pulled). Hossa has a moderate sprain, he should be back on the ice in another 3 weeks.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
There's no comparison injury wise (fortunately for Hossa's sake). Kloucek blew out his ACL as well as his MCL. The MCL can heal on its own, but when you have a complete tear in the ACL the only way to fix it is through reconstructive surgery (MSG showed Kovalev's surgery inbetween periods, it was fasinating), which takes 4-6 months to get back on the ice (except of course the amazing Ozolinsh--whoever cleared him so early should have his license pulled). Hossa has a moderate sprain, he should be back on the ice in another 3 weeks.
thats good to know... hurry on back Hossa (cant believe I'm saying this) we need you!

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 07:37 PM
outofrange

Henrik, Monty, Staal...I think we're doing pretty well.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Following that train of thought, I'm going throw the name "Artem Anisimov"...big, rangy kid, just developing his skills. He could be that type of player.
Him too... yeah, I didn't even mention any of our top 10 prospects, but you're right, from what I've heard/read. Wasn't crazy about Maloney likening him to Rucchin. I mean, any time a prospect comes to fruition, it's a huge success (and becoming like one of the best third liners in the last 20 years wouldn't be bad), but we certainly didn't see the best of Rucchin here.

I'm hoping for a scoring center of Olli Jokinen's caliber and style. I know it's less than a snowbnall's chance, but it's there. A lot of ink has been spilt over him lately and he only just started to produce offensively.

I say sign Briere in the offseason and, come three years, Anisimov could give us an awesome 1-2 punch.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Him too... yeah, I didn't even mention any of our top 10 prospects, but you're right, from what I've heard/read. Wasn't crazy about Maloney likening him to Rucchin. I mean, any time a prospect comes to fruition, it's a huge success (and becoming like one of the best third liners in the last 20 years wouldn't be bad), but we certainly didn't see the best of Rucchin here.

I'm hoping for a scoring center of Olli Jokinen's caliber and style. I know it's less than a snowbnall's chance, but it's there. A lot of ink has been spilt over him lately and he only just started to produce offensively.

I say sign Briere in the offseason and, come three years, Anisimov could give us an awesome 1-2 punch.
Nah...I think with Anisimov, Dubinsky and Pyatt, we could be set down the middle for years to come. I'd rather start getting the right forwards to complement these three.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:05 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

No but St. Louis won the Art Ross, Hart, Plus-Minus Award, and the Pearson.

Didn't TB sign St Louis as a RFA or something like that....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote