HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NFL/NCAA Discussion Thread I: Crappy Stephen Hill released

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2014, 06:26 PM
silverfish
Bow ties are cool

vCash: 500
Neutz is a Bengal!

Way to go, Alex!

And BO to the Colts!

Last edited by silverfish: 05-10-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old
05-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Giants UDFA list so far:

DL Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina
DE Emmanuel Dieke, Georgia Tech
LB Dan Fox, Notre Dame
DT Eathyn Manumaluena, BYU
TE Xavier Grimble, USC
DE Kerry Wynn, Richmond
S C.J. Barnett, Ohio State
LB Justin Anderson, Louisiana-Lafayette
S Thomas Gordon, Michigan

Pretty stoked about Quarles.

Old
05-11-2014, 10:14 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
Giants UDFA list so far:

DL Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina
DE Emmanuel Dieke, Georgia Tech
LB Dan Fox, Notre Dame
DT Eathyn Manumaluena, BYU
TE Xavier Grimble, USC
DE Kerry Wynn, Richmond
S C.J. Barnett, Ohio State
LB Justin Anderson, Louisiana-Lafayette
S Thomas Gordon, Michigan

Pretty stoked about Quarles.
I'm happy we have loaded up on S prospects. Hopefully we can stumble into a player that can make a difference in the future.

Old
05-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 128
Read an article that said the Jets blundered this draft. I disagree, this is the best draft the Jets have put together in quite some time

Old
05-11-2014, 10:58 AM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime Powerplay View Post
Read an article that said the Jets blundered this draft. I disagree, this is the best draft the Jets have put together in quite some time

I agree, Many "experts" always bash the jets drafting. Last Year they bashed Sheldon richardson and he is a beast. The Jets got the best safety and arguably the best catching TE. They also added some under the radar gusy who i really like. Their last pick reilly was a steal as was the QB. Mcdougle is a risk only because he was injured a lot. Saunders is small but tough as nails and is a good return guy. I also liek evans

Old
05-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Quote:
First two rounds were awesome. I think the third round pick is terrible, but the fourth round picks were pretty solid (particularly Dozier). I like Jalen Saunders more than most, too.

Old
05-11-2014, 02:35 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I never processed Odell Beckham Jr. as a possible Giants pick before the draft, but I love it. It's a smart, calculated risk by Reese.

Some fans might complain about not picking Martin, but the team had to go with the percentages. If the team picks Martin and Beatty bounces back, then they spent a 12th overall pick on a Guard, which is stupid. By drafting ODB, regardless of what happens with Beatty, the team has an impact WR. It was the smart move.

As for drafting team captains, I think Beason showed what the will to win can do on the field. The NFC East is a dogfight.

Old
05-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I never processed Odell Beckham Jr. as a possible Giants pick before the draft, but I love it. It's a smart, calculated risk by Reese.

Some fans might complain about not picking Martin, but the team had to go with the percentages. If the team picks Martin and Beatty bounces back, then they spent a 12th overall pick on a Guard, which is stupid. By drafting ODB, regardless of what happens with Beatty, the team has an impact WR. It was the smart move.

As for drafting team captains, I think Beason showed what the will to win can do on the field. The NFC East is a dogfight.
I thought he'd be considered if Lewan, Evans, and Ebron were gone. Although I figured that they'd go Martin over him just based on the "leaks" by Ranaan and such (although I think people were deliberately feeding him misinformation since he's the new guy on the block).

I like not picking Martin. I sort of got OK with him prior to the draft since it seemed inevitable. But I love the ODB pick overall. Would've preferred Lewan over just about anyone, but ODB is a nice pick.

Old
05-11-2014, 04:36 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I thought he'd be considered if Lewan, Evans, and Ebron were gone. Although I figured that they'd go Martin over him just based on the "leaks" by Ranaan and such (although I think people were deliberately feeding him misinformation since he's the new guy on the block).

I like not picking Martin. I sort of got OK with him prior to the draft since it seemed inevitable. But I love the ODB pick overall. Would've preferred Lewan over just about anyone, but ODB is a nice pick.
Who knows if the team had Lewan a "ND" based on his character issues. They focused on team captains, so it's certainly plausible that he wasn't even an option.

Old
05-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Who knows if the team had Lewan a "ND" based on his character issues. They focused on team captains, so it's certainly plausible that he wasn't even an option.
The general feeling is that no team had him off their board. Character issues were really overblown according to scouts and such and he supposedly interviewed very well.

Old
05-12-2014, 07:49 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

NYG had Lewan in for a workout. Unless he totally blew that interview than I'm sure he was on their board.

Old
05-12-2014, 07:51 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
I agree, Many "experts" always bash the jets drafting. Last Year they bashed Sheldon richardson and he is a beast.
Who bashed that pick?

Everyone I read LOVED him prior to the draft & several had him going much higher.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:06 AM
AHB*

Quote:
I think Pryor and Amaro are both going to be immediate contributors and future Pro Bowlers.

3rd rounder is meh and everything after the 4th round is a lottery play anyway.

Overall, I was very happy with the first two picks.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:26 AM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Who bashed that pick?

Everyone I read LOVED him prior to the draft & several had him going much higher.

I shouldnt say bashed but many jet fans were lukewarm to the pick. I loved the pick but many fans wanted offense after the milliner pick

Old
05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Richardson has named the 94th best player in the NFL Network top 100 on Saturday. So many fans and pundits panned that pick. The Jets need players. The Niners and Seattle run the ball and play defense. The Jets should be able to run the ball with Johnson, Ivory and Powell. The D should be better with Pryor.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:49 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
NYG had Lewan in for a workout. Unless he totally blew that interview than I'm sure he was on their board.
They also had him meet with the owners.

I get the feeling they were getting him around everyone to see if they were comfortable with him.

Even if the off field things were ignored, he still has a really strange personality

Old
05-12-2014, 11:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Who bashed that pick?

A lot of the "professional" writers and pundits questioned the pick (and many fans), as it wasn't really a need for the Jets and there were questions about whether he'd fit in the scheme. It wasn't a criticism of Richardson so much as it was a "Typical stupid Jets, picking guys they don't need" thing. Obviously, it has worked out extremely well, since Richardson appears well on his way to establishing himself as one of the elite defensive players in the game.

It's just pain.
Old
05-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Matt4776

vCash: 143
Dex McDougle was my favorite pick of the draft.

The kid is an absolute baller when he's healthy. An absolute baller.

Both of his injuries have been freak injuries. Nothing chronic or anything. People think it's a bad pick because they haven't heard much about him this year and the majority of people get their scouting from mainstream media instead of actually watching games themselves.

That's why you have people like Bruce Irvin who is a projected second round pick by mainstream media that goes in the early-mid first and turns out really well, and then you have a guy like Donovan Warren from a few years back that was a projected 1st rounder, signs with the Jets as a UDFA, and then flames out later that year.

Old
05-12-2014, 11:53 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Dex McDougle was my favorite pick of the draft.

The kid is an absolute baller when he's healthy. An absolute baller.

Both of his injuries have been freak injuries. Nothing chronic or anything. People think it's a bad pick because they haven't heard much about him this year and the majority of people get their scouting from mainstream media instead of actually watching games themselves.

That's why you have people like Bruce Irvin who is a projected second round pick by mainstream media that goes in the early-mid first and turns out really well, and then you have a guy like Donovan Warren from a few years back that was a projected 1st rounder, signs with the Jets as a UDFA, and then flames out later that year.
I've read some really encouraging things about McDougle, so I'm not really upset about the pick. My only concern is about when he was picked...could we have grabbed him a round or two later? It doesn't sound like anyone else had him that high. Of course, we'll never really know, but it still seems like he was a little bit of a reach.

In the end, though, if he turns out to be a player it will be a great pick. Wait and see.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Matt4776

vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've read some really encouraging things about McDougle, so I'm not really upset about the pick. My only concern is about when he was picked...could we have grabbed him a round or two later? It doesn't sound like anyone else had him that high. Of course, we'll never really know, but it still seems like he was a little bit of a reach.

In the end, though, if he turns out to be a player it will be a great pick. Wait and see.
We have no idea. We don't know how other teams view players.

If there is a player you love and think is going to be a player, you don't worry about "value", especially in the later rounds. You take him and don't look back. The extra 6th-7th round pick you may get from trading down that late in the draft isn't worth the chance of losing the guy you want.

We brought him in for a visit and scouted him hard at his pro-day. We obviously thought he was the best CB on the board when we picked in the second.

If we picked a more "mainstream" CB in the third (i.e. McGill) nobody would've batted an eye. It's not like we took another defensive lineman in the third.

We took what we felt to be the best player at a huge position of need for us.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 128
Like I have already said, I think the Jets did a great job with the draft this year. I also think the Giants did as well. As for the Jets, the more I look at the McDougle pick the more I like it, I think he is going to be a player moving forward.

Old
05-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

For Giants UDFAs, I am pretty confident that Quarles and Grimble have the best shot at making the 53. Grimble may have the best shot of anyone. If Quarles can beat out Kuhn, he makes it.

Old
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
For Giants UDFAs, I am pretty confident that Quarles and Grimble have the best shot at making the 53. Grimble may have the best shot of anyone. If Quarles can beat out Kuhn, he makes it.
I don't always agree with you but this is exactly my thoughts as well.

Grimble could really surprise imo

Old
05-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Quote:
I don't always agree with you but this is exactly my thoughts as well.

Grimble could really surprise imo
Frankly, I'm the highest on him out of any of the UDFAs. He basically wasn't used at USC.

Old
05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Frankly, I'm the highest on him out of any of the UDFAs. He basically wasn't used at USC.
I also read that about Andre Williams, how BC just never throw screens. It's not that he can't catch a ball, it's that he was never asked to.

Closed Thread