HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Precisely, where did they go wrong?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2014, 11:13 PM
  #251
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
There are a lot of negatives for players coming to Edmonton where the current brass publicly chastised York, Comrie, Penner, Carter, Souray, etc, etc. Not a lot of players with their choice of teams are going to come here. Leave the rest of Canada out of that argument, it's not the same across the board.

You see players from other franchises talking about how classy their org is and how well the players and their families are treated in every way and how happy they are to be playing there, Edm is like a gulag. Lowe put Souray in the ahl for "accusing" the Oilers of forcing injured players to return to the ice but I know for a fact it's true. I remember vividly when Lowe and MacT went on tv to complain that York should be playing hockey with a cast on, and that his doctor had said that it was ok. If they went to the extent to publicly embarass York into going back on the ice what do you think they did to him and to other players behind closed doors? What we expect to be true from paying attention, other nhl'ers hear first hand from Oilers and ex-Oilers all the time. Not just York and Souray, but from their teammates who still like them and actually gave a **** about how they were treated.

The Oilers mgmt would fit right in on a tv show airing their dirty laundry in public and having chairs thrown at them from the audience. Most other teams are "different". That is THE main reason why players choose not to be here.

Players are happy to go to Vcr where the fans are a riot. Probably 10% of the players in the nhl would have Toronto as their first choice (Bolland recently) and another 10% would pick Montreal.

As far as the fans in Edm are concerned Edm is the #1 place for team canada's soccer players. NHL'ers love playing for the Edm fans in the playoffs, the building is crazier than anywhere else, even your beloved Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...minnesota-wild

Here's the very first link I found re: the Parise signing. Parise chose Minny because it was his hometown, and it wasn't because of a "gross overpayment". Other teams offered at least as much. Suter went to Minn because he wanted to be on the same team with Parise. All of that is common knowledge.

And FYI, peoples' kids do go downtown. If you live in NYC you will never keep your kids away from the central park area, or times square. Of course they will be in the areas where the stadiums are (and the stabbing victims). Most Americans are extremely nice people but there are a lot more people there living under the poverty line than in Canada, there is a lot more violent crime and there is simmering racial tension there that you have to see 1st hand to believe. I bet you that if you were an rcmp officer and you searched every semi that crossed the border from the States 95% of those guys still have their pistols in them. Not because Americans are gun crazy, because if you take the wrong off-ramp there you are ****ed.

If I didn't live in Canada the States would not be my next choice.
Oilers with the current rot from owner down will never have a successful team as long as they are there.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 11:47 PM
  #252
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Oilers with the current rot from owner down will never have a successful team as long as they are there.
I'm just praying they lose enough games in the first 15 games of the season that a change becomes inevitable at the coaching level at the very least.

I really can't imagine MacT and Klo ever losing their jobs. They've just been promoted through this whole mess. Our best chance by far is if an Oiler fans wins the powerball lottery and buys out Katz.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 12:40 AM
  #253
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 986
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
yeah, that was an IEG move, to save money. set the team back 5 years.
im not sure that's what happened though. Iirc, they had the Toronto RoadRunners for a couple of seasons after they parted ways with the Bulldogs. The Canadiens kept Julien in the divorce and the Oilers went to Toronto without him. I don't remember exactly how the Oilers lost their affiliation with Hamilton but they did have their own farm team for at least three more seasons after that. The two or three seasons in Toronto (however many there were) and the one season the Roadrunners were in Edmonton. It wasn't until after the 2005 lockout that they didn't have a farm team.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 12:42 AM
  #254
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I'm just praying they lose enough games in the first 15 games of the season that a change becomes inevitable at the coaching level at the very least.

I really can't imagine MacT and Klo ever losing their jobs. They've just been promoted through this whole mess. Our best chance by far is if an Oiler fans wins the powerball lottery and buys out Katz.
Lowe should have lost his job years ago. Organizations that tolerate and reward losing for any length of time by not firing the management will never win.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 03:04 AM
  #255
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder
 
Steve BachIntyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 204
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
Drafting and development. Our problems start and end there. Lowe should be fired.

Avalanche had a high 2nd round pick and got O'rielly. We've had 3 high 2nd rounders and picked Pitlick, Musil, Moroz. Ouch.
Im actually pretty high on Moroz, and have confidence that the other two will become strong role players over the coming years

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:53 AM
  #256
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
Im actually pretty high on Moroz, and have confidence that the other two will become strong role players over the coming years
I don't share your confidence in the other two. Pitlick gets hurt when he plays the way that makes him good, and Musil, well, at best he is another Nick Schultz. Which, I suppose isn't bad, but when you consider you can easily acquire that kind of D, then why waste a 31 overall pick on him, especially when Boone Jenner is still on the board. Ouch. Unless Musil can become a Robin Regher quality D, he will always be seen as a nepotism pick that was taken too early and instead of better prospects. Unfair? maybe, but they brought it on themselves.

Moroz tho, who knows. He could be a good one. Developed right, and he could be a top 9, maybe even top 6 forward.


Last edited by Up the Irons: 05-11-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 02:42 PM
  #257
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
Im actually pretty high on Moroz, and have confidence that the other two will become strong role players over the coming years
I definitely agree with Moroz. He has a rare combination of size, strength and scoring ability that I think will make him a useful bottom six guy who can slot into the top six when needed.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.