HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Question for Season Ticket Holders...

Old
05-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Trizent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
What was in the e-mail and will you be renewing?
Phone call was personal call from my season ticket rep wondering if I needed any help renewing, etc. (message on vm). Email was generic, how to renew. All pleasant, no hard sell.

Plan is to drop 50% of our seats.

Decision is directly related to arrogance of front office and failure to acknowledge the season was a disaster and their continued treating of us as marks. EG. MacT at season ticket holder thing mentioned Mark Fraser as one of his examples of why Oilers are in a better place late Feb 2014 compared to 2013. I think Fraser is a good guy and who plays with some heart, but he is as much an NHL player as Will Acton is. If MacT is serious, then I understand why he thought we would challenge for a playoff spot last season -- he must have poor evaluation of talent (The only way for him to be more wrong would be for us to have finished 1st in the conference.). If he was just talking with empty words then I just don't being talked to like I'm an idiot.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
not sure when it will happen, but eventually, this losing and incompetent management will cost them. they've gotten away with it for 3 years (we, the fans gave them them a pass in 2010 and 11), but, they won't get away with it forever. At some point, they have to turn north or attendance will drop.

for me, as long as Lowe is employed, I will never take the organization seriously. Even if they win the cup; if I see his smiling 'we told ya so' face in the dressing room interviews, it will take at little bit away from the victory. And I will not pay for a game or merc until they start managing to win in the present.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Phone call was personal call from my season ticket rep wondering if I needed any help renewing, etc. (message on vm). Email was generic, how to renew. All pleasant, no hard sell.

Plan is to drop 50% of our seats.

Decision is directly related to arrogance of front office and failure to acknowledge the season was a disaster and their continued treating of us as marks. EG. MacT at season ticket holder thing mentioned Mark Fraser as one of his examples of why Oilers are in a better place late Feb 2014 compared to 2013. I think Fraser is a good guy and who plays with some heart, but he is as much an NHL player as Will Acton is. If MacT is serious, then I understand why he thought we would challenge for a playoff spot last season -- he must have poor evaluation of talent (The only way for him to be more wrong would be for us to have finished 1st in the conference.). If he was just talking with empty words then I just don't being talked to like I'm an idiot.
he actually said that?!?! my god, that's bad. That might be worse than his diatribe about the Oilers organization being the best in the league in player development. I mean, either he is an idiot, or he's so full of sh-- that he's starting believe it.

whew, I've heard BS before, but that might take the cow pie.

Old
05-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
he actually said that?!?! my god, that's bad. That might be worse than his diatribe about the Oilers organization being the best in the league in player development. I mean, either he is an idiot, or he's so full of sh-- that he's starting believe it.

whew, I've heard BS before, but that might take the cow pie.
I question your use of exclamation marks. This is a guy that said the Oilers are the best in the league at developing players. Nothing MacTavish (or Lowe or Eakins) says should surprise you at this point.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
I question your use of exclamation marks. This is a guy that said the Oilers are the best in the league at developing players. Nothing MacTavish (or Lowe or Eakins) says should surprise you at this point.
lol. fair enough.

Old
05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
not sure when it will happen, but eventually, this losing and incompetent management will cost them. they've gotten away with it for 3 years (we, the fans gave them them a pass in 2010 and 11), but, they won't get away with it forever. At some point, they have to turn north or attendance will drop.

for me, as long as Lowe is employed, I will never take the organization seriously. Even if they win the cup; if I see his smiling 'we told ya so' face in the dressing room interviews, it will take at little bit away from the victory. And I will not pay for a game or merc until they start managing to win in the present.
This team is so far away from even being competitive that it actually made me laugh when you said that Kevin Lowe's smiling face would ruin a Stanley Cup celebration for you. I don't think you'll need to worry about how you should feel during an Oiler's victory lap. I wouldn't bother me in the least if Lowe was still here if they ever won and he gave that "I know it all grin" because it would prove he was right. I can't stand him and want him gone because I don't believe he's right and have no doubt that it's never going to happen with him still around. I doubt a playoff spot with him around is even possible.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
This team is so far away from even being competitive that it actually made me laugh when you said that Kevin Lowe's smiling face would ruin a Stanley Cup celebration for you. I don't think you'll need to worry about how you should feel during an Oiler's victory lap. I wouldn't bother me in the least if Lowe was still here if they ever won and he gave that "I know it all grin" because it would prove he was right. I can't stand him and want him gone because I don't believe he's right and have no doubt that it's never going to happen with him still around. I doubt a playoff spot with him around is even possible.
well, it wouldn't ruin it. just make it a bit less euphoric.

Old
05-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Decision is directly related to arrogance of front office and failure to acknowledge the season was a disaster and their continued treating of us as marks.
I hear that.

The season was an unmitigated disaster and for him to basically blow a bit of sunshine and then stay the course is insulting and leaves very little hope for improvement.

"We will continue trying to eliminate the suck left over from the Tambo era, my genius will begin to show thru soon!" (ie - the welfare lottery needs to start paying huge dividends to pull his fat out of the fire)

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Broilers

I do not care. My time in Edmonton will be over prior to next season and I will move back to MD

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Trader

So after 209 posts we know that 3 people will be canceling their tickets, 3 people will be renewing their tickets and 1 person is dropping 50% of their tickets.
Now that the deadline is here I would be interested to hear what other season ticket holders have done.

Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 04:09 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
So after 209 posts we know that 3 people will be canceling their tickets, 3 people will be renewing their tickets and 1 person is dropping 50% of their tickets.
Now that the deadline is here I would be interested to hear what other season ticket holders have done.
I renewed but plan on selling off most and will not be renewing if the same gong show occurs this year. Was really hoping they fired Klowe and assistants before deadline but there is still time to do so. They might even have a renewal percentage in mind that forces Katz's hand on the Lowe thing. I would hope to see significant moves made before game 1 before I actually save any tickets for myself.

No snazzy new arena is worth this mess unless it is turned around this year. I also think they have to realize this. Two thousand empty seats in Rexall will look not bad compared to four thousand empty seats in a new rink.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 04:13 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I renewed but plan on selling off most and will not be renewing if the same gong show occurs this year. Was really hoping they fired Klowe and assistants before deadline but there is still time to do so. They might even have a renewal percentage in mind that forces Katz's hand on the Lowe thing. I would hope to see significant moves made before game 1 before I actually save any tickets for myself.

No snazzy new arena is worth this mess unless it is turned around this year. I also think they have to realize this. Two thousand empty seats in Rexall will look not bad compared to four thousand empty seats in a new rink.
How do you propose they turn things around in one off season? What does "turned around" mean to you? Playoffs? Ten point improvement?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:

If you plan on selling tickets, do it early. It's hard to sell 14th place.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 09:09 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:

I thought last season was the year they were turning things around. Mactavish came in with the promises of bold moves and change. Now he's back to preaching the same patience and "hold the course" philosophy that Tambellini preached. Young defensemen dealing with growing pains next year looks like what we'll see with the lack of quality FA's available and the unlikelihood of Mactavish acquiring a stud through trade. Not to mention the lure of Connor Macdavid as motivation for another basement finish. I can't see next year being much better. Maybe the next year or the year after that or...

Lowe isn't going anywhere and neither are the assistant coaches. IMO, those things would have happened by now if they were going to. Summer has been a very positive time on the calendar in Edmonton the last few years, anger and resentment dies down and things can go back to normal. A couple months off then the draft and fans start feeling positive again. That's where we are right now. This team will do what it does every year. They will cross their fingers and hope something magical happens and they get it right. If not then it's one year closer to the new arena being ready. If it's another crappy year they just repeat the process.

Old
05-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
I thought last season was the year they were turning things around. Mactavish came in with the promises of bold moves and change. Now he's back to preaching the same patience and "hold the course" philosophy that Tambellini preached. Young defensemen dealing with growing pains next year looks like what we'll see with the lack of quality FA's available and the unlikelihood of Mactavish acquiring a stud through trade. Not to mention the lure of Connor Macdavid as motivation for another basement finish. I can't see next year being much better. Maybe the next year or the year after that or...

Lowe isn't going anywhere and neither are the assistant coaches. IMO, those things would have happened by now if they were going to. Summer has been a very positive time on the calendar in Edmonton the last few years, anger and resentment dies down and things can go back to normal. A couple months off then the draft and fans start feeling positive again. That's where we are right now. This team will do what it does every year. They will cross their fingers and hope something magical happens and they get it right. If not then it's one year closer to the new arena being ready. If it's another crappy year they just repeat the process.
So bang on. This team writes off whole seasons like I throw away the last couple slices of bread.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 05-24-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old
05-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Trizent

I'm not sure if I can handle another trainwreck, but if it guaranteed that we wipe the front office and coaching staff slate clean, I may be up for it.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:

yeah.
you're exactly right. every year is "the breakthrough" we've been hearing about the turnaround since the first time the Oilers finished last. people fall for it every year and keep filling the joint.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
yeah.
you're exactly right. every year is "the breakthrough" we've been hearing about the turnaround since the first time the Oilers finished last. people fall for it every year and keep filling the joint.
There is a way to fix this, for anyone who claims to be this dissatisfied, cancel your season tickets.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
There is a way to fix this, for anyone who claims to be this dissatisfied, cancel your season tickets.
Great comment except after reading through this thread it would seem that most people posting are not season ticket holders.

Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Hard reality for me is, is that the problems/battle they are dealing with is two-three fold. On top of inept management and the spinning of wheels in the mud, poor drafting and empty promises, they have to play in one of if not the toughest division in hockey, in a conference where there is a gargantuan row to hoe, I can't see them being in the top 4 of the conference unless a miracle of some sort happens, for the next 4-5 years, until some of these teams age a little bit and wind down their cycles at the top. So much has to go right for the Oilers to be remotely competitive again, I mean they are so far away it's scary and depressing.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
I'm not sure if I can handle another trainwreck, but if it guaranteed that we wipe the front office and coaching staff slate clean, I may be up for it.
Sorry, but if this team gets the first overall pick for the next five years running, management will still remain entrenched. KLowes claws are dug deeper into the back of Katz than a tick on a dog.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:04 PM
samiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Sorry, but if this team gets the first overall pick for the next five years running, management will still remain entrenched. KLowes claws are dug deeper into the back of Katz than a tick on a dog.
So, being that it will have been 2 years since the Oil have picked first overall, or 3 years since they've finished last in the league, does this weaken or strengthen your theory?

samiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam View Post
So, being that it will have been 2 years since the Oil have picked first overall, or 3 years since they've finished last in the league, does this weaken or strengthen your theory?
"Sorry, but if this team gets the first overall pick ..."

"if" was the introduction of a conditional clause in my statement. Perhaps I should of proceeded it with "Even if ...." for clarity. I suppose however, finishing 3rd last in the league is "kinda like" winning the Stanley Cup to this management group; and rest assured, these guys know a "little bit" about winning (or was it whining?)".

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 09:37 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If season ticket holders aren't canceling their tickets after this season, where there was more negativity surrounding the organization than there has been since the Pocklington days, they're never going to do it.

Old
05-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
If season ticket holders aren't canceling their tickets after this season, where there was more negativity surrounding the organization than there has been since the Pocklington days, they're never going to do it.
Well that's fine, maybe many should stop the "well if they don't I will..." stuff, because the hollow threats are silly.

If you don't like the team and aren't happy with the product, cancel your tickets, if you aren't willing to do that, maybe stop sounding off like you're owed something from the team because you're not cancelling your tickets.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote