HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think Orpik would be a good fit for the Habs this offseason?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2014, 07:17 PM
  #51
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
What about Mike Weaver?

35 yo
In and out of the Panthers line-up
Never been an awesome dman

Yet he's doing awesome here

Not saying that it will be the same with Butler but it can happen
If it wasn't for his lack of size for a defenseman, Weaver would be getting more recognition among NHL fans. He has heart, good defense awareness and a decent pass. Butler has no NHL quality.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
  #52
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
If it wasn't for his lack of size for a defenseman, Weaver would be getting more recognition among NHL fans. He has heart, good defense awareness and a decent pass. Butler has no NHL quality.
Well that's just absolutely false. He's very mobile, pretty good passer, average sized, and has decent hockey IQ. No, he's not a spectacular defenceman but he does get the job done. He'd be filler to let the younger defenceman develop.... and not much else!

I'd really key in on Stralman though, he had a pretty great start of the year and has had decent playoffs. Fayne has the size everyone is looking for but he's not as dynamic of a player as Stralman. Stralman's really polished his game and is absolutely a top-4 defenceman. We need a RD that can move the puck and log considerable minutes and I have a hard time seeing him go back to NYR as there just isn't cap or roster space for him. More or less, he'd be an upgraded Rafael Diaz (which I have no problem with). Low risk contract for a low risk player.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 08:25 PM
  #53
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,920
vCash: 500
Stop investing time in declining D-men. The habs wasted too much time flip-flopping between Murray and Boullion this season. Most of that time should have been given to one of Beaulieu or Tinordi.

Re-sign Weaver, leave the #6 open to a rookie and hopefully another rookie can eventually steal Weaver's spot as well.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 08:28 PM
  #54
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,421
vCash: 152
Hopefully Tinordi has a full time spot next year. Re-sign Weaver, too.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:01 PM
  #55
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHabs View Post
Orpik Subban
Markov Emelin
Tinordi Gorges

Beaulieu Pateryn

Don't know if Markov will be back? But I think Orpik would be a perfect partner for Subban giving Tinordi time to fill that role in like 2 or 3 years. It's kind of what Murray should of been but Orpik has a lot more mobility.

Plus could also sign lower tier guys maybe like a Clayton Stoner or something if Tinordi and Beaulieu can't take a whole season .

So what do you guys think?
Orpik would be a szeable downgrade from Gorges the way he's played this year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
  #56
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Stop investing time in declining D-men. The habs wasted too much time flip-flopping between Murray and Boullion this season. Most of that time should have been given to one of Beaulieu or Tinordi.

Re-sign Weaver, leave the #6 open to a rookie and hopefully another rookie can eventually steal Weaver's spot as well.
There's a contradiction in this message.

And as big of a Murray fan as I might be, those putting Orpik in the same category as him or Bouillon are seriously underestimating the guy. He's been playing 20+ minutes for the #2 team in the conference all season. He's still a top-4 d-man at this point of his career.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 10:13 AM
  #57
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Orpik? No.

Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn.
This. Younger and cheaper and we invest in our future for a change.

And no Weaver if we give him 2yrs he'll be 38. Honestly what is there a quota on old smurfs that we won't meet if we drop Bouillon? Like dropping Gomez and then adding Briere?? Enough of that **** let's try playing with a regular-sized team for a change.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
  #58
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Stop investing time in declining D-men. The habs wasted too much time flip-flopping between Murray and Boullion this season. Most of that time should have been given to one of Beaulieu or Tinordi.

Re-sign Weaver, leave the #6 open to a rookie and hopefully another rookie can eventually steal Weaver's spot as well.
Contradiction? Weaver's playing his heart out for a contract, if we give him two years that takes him to 38 years old. He will not get better. And he's 5'9" for crying out loud does the team really want to add more midgets??

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 10:21 AM
  #59
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
There's a contradiction in this message.

And as big of a Murray fan as I might be, those putting Orpik in the same category as him or Bouillon are seriously underestimating the guy. He's been playing 20+ minutes for the #2 team in the conference all season. He's still a top-4 d-man at this point of his career.
There's a difference between giving Weaver 1.5milx1yr and giving Markov 6milx3yrs. The latter would be an investment.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:33 AM
  #60
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
I'd rather keep Weaver. Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:40 AM
  #61
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,249
vCash: 500
If Weaver will sign a 1-year, $1.5M deal, take him as a depth man, and cut ties with both Bouillon & Murray. Even if Weaver won't sign, cut Bouillon & Murray. Basically, just cut Bouillon & Murray & I'll be happy..

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:41 AM
  #62
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28,445
vCash: 500
I like the look of our D next year:

Subban and Gorges
Markov & Emelin
Tinordi & Beaulieu

Weaver as extra.

Those don't have to be the pairings either. Just a good group. A couple of guys are a little green and they'll make some mistakes. But overall, I like that group.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:41 AM
  #63
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,142
vCash: 135
Do not want. The guy is terrible. Poor man's Emelin.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:41 AM
  #64
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
I'd rather keep Weaver. Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready.
This.
We absolutely have to start not only developing our talent but ensurung that they are actually playing the positions that are natural to them and that we drafted them in.
Case in point Chucky. If I don't see him taking reps at center next year i'm going to be a stroke candidate. Weaver as a righty but we need to shed either a Gorges or a Markov to get both these guys in. Our solution will be to have Tinordi play RD...

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:42 AM
  #65
bobholly39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHabs View Post
Orpik Subban
Markov Emelin
Tinordi Gorges

Beaulieu Pateryn

Don't know if Markov will be back? But I think Orpik would be a perfect partner for Subban giving Tinordi time to fill that role in like 2 or 3 years. It's kind of what Murray should of been but Orpik has a lot more mobility.

Plus could also sign lower tier guys maybe like a Clayton Stoner or something if Tinordi and Beaulieu can't take a whole season .

So what do you guys think?
Hrmm....

good question. I don't know him enough. But i'll be sure to watch out for his play against the habs in round 3, to see what I think of him.

Ill let you know!

bobholly39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:48 AM
  #66
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,228
vCash: 256
Orpik is a terrible defenseman though and that's the problem with him, I watch a lot of Penguins games and he makes things on the ice very difficult for him and his teammates. He can definitely hit, but he has a hard time getting the puck out of his zone and doesn't follow his man very well

A big NO from me. The Penguins will let him walk and there is a reason why

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
  #67
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,228
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
Do not want. The guy is terrible. Poor man's Emelin.
Pretty much this, and we are lucky cause Emelin can actually move the puck up ice and make that great stretch pass, unlike Orpik. A big pass

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:55 AM
  #68
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Orpik? No.

Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn.
Play these guys all season and they'll be ready for the playoffs. They're been in the AHL long enough!

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:39 PM
  #69
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,955
vCash: 500
Orpik, I just don't feel it. The guy will get a multi year deal (think 5 years) and he's not that good anyways. Slowed down a lot this year from the little bit I've seen.

With that being said, I'm also OK with Beaulieu and Tinordi getting bigger roles, but we need an insurance policy there. Not sure we go into next season with two rookie Ds playing full time and 3 rookies if one of the vet is injured. Having half your D corp composed of rookies is a recipe for disaster. And we don't want to have to deal a 2nd round pick at the deadline just to get a stopgap.

If we don't sign Vanek, go hard after a decent/solid #3/4 with size. I would be fine with a slight overpayment, because that will be the only way to improve the team, IMO. I know, a #3/4 is not easy to find, but with a healthy line up our D would be:

#3/4UFA - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu/Tinordi

If we sign Vanek, then yeah less money left and the D is rather:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
#6 UFA - Beaulieu/Tinordi (be open to bench #6 if both rookies play very well)

Which I'm still perfectly fine with. In both cases, we can correctly answer to injuries by promoting one of the bottom pairing guys and calling up Pateryn.

I know I'm a little bit conservative, but there's a real chance that both Tinordi and Beaulieu run out of gas or hit a major slump at some point. If it was just that, maybe you could still get out of it alive, but just add one injury in the top 4 and we're done. I know some of you would be fine with that as well, but there's no way Bergevin is. So forget it.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:55 PM
  #70
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
There's a contradiction in this message.

And as big of a Murray fan as I might be, those putting Orpik in the same category as him or Bouillon are seriously underestimating the guy. He's been playing 20+ minutes for the #2 team in the conference all season. He's still a top-4 d-man at this point of his career.
There's no contradiction. I'm assuming Weaver is the #5 while the #6 spot is open for a rookie. Don't waste the #6 spot on a declining vet, save it for a rookie. If Tinordi and Beaulieu look good, Weaver eventually moves out of the lineup.

I really didn't think this needed any explanation, sigh.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 12:07 AM
  #71
Lebowski
In Price We Trust
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Orpik is a terrible defenseman. Don't let an Olympic selection nor name reputation fool you.

Think of every Emelin shortcomings, multiply them by 2, and then take all of Emelin's strength, and divide them by 2. That gives you Brooks Orpik.

He's good as a heavy hitter, at times. If that's what we're going for, I much rather give ice time to Tinordi, or hell, resign Murray if we must. But really, it shouldn't come to that.

If you want a good top 4 complement on this team, there's one coming out of Pittsburgh this summer, and that would be Matt Niskanen. I'd love to add him on this team, depending on the salary. Reliable puck mover that can chip in on the PP.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 12:12 AM
  #72
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
this coaching staff and management are in love with Weaver and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will ask for much money/playing time, I see him being resigned. the other spot will be fought over by Tinordi/Beaulieu, both are ready and should see plenty of icetime, versus different types of opponents.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu/Tinordi-Weaver
Pateryn

Looks good to me

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 05:00 PM
  #73
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'd rather another Hamrlik type. Similar to when he first joined us. What a beast.
Yeah, imo thats what we desperately needed this year too

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 05:07 PM
  #74
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Orpik, I just don't feel it. The guy will get a multi year deal (think 5 years) and he's not that good anyways. Slowed down a lot this year from the little bit I've seen.

With that being said, I'm also OK with Beaulieu and Tinordi getting bigger roles, but we need an insurance policy there. Not sure we go into next season with two rookie Ds playing full time and 3 rookies if one of the vet is injured. Having half your D corp composed of rookies is a recipe for disaster. And we don't want to have to deal a 2nd round pick at the deadline just to get a stopgap.

If we don't sign Vanek, go hard after a decent/solid #3/4 with size. I would be fine with a slight overpayment, because that will be the only way to improve the team, IMO. I know, a #3/4 is not easy to find, but with a healthy line up our D would be:

#3/4UFA - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu/Tinordi

If we sign Vanek, then yeah less money left and the D is rather:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
#6 UFA - Beaulieu/Tinordi (be open to bench #6 if both rookies play very well)

Which I'm still perfectly fine with. In both cases, we can correctly answer to injuries by promoting one of the bottom pairing guys and calling up Pateryn.

I know I'm a little bit conservative, but there's a real chance that both Tinordi and Beaulieu run out of gas or hit a major slump at some point. If it was just that, maybe you could still get out of it alive, but just add one injury in the top 4 and we're done. I know some of you would be fine with that as well, but there's no way Bergevin is. So forget it.
The best mix is to keep Markov and Weaver, that gives you 5 veterans with 2-3 youngsters(Beaulieu Tinordu Pateryn or Nygren)

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.