HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kostitsyn deserves top-6 time!

Old
03-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
3 points in the 3rd period of the biggest game of the year.

SHOW YOURSELVES HATERS. You know who you are.
Here we go again. One game is all it takes for the bandwagoners. Reminds me of the time Jesse Belanger had 5 points one night against the Panthers. The fans here went wild, we had found the next Mario Lemieux.

Oh, was this the biggest game of the year? Or is it the next one? Or was it three games ago?

Why don't you show your face when Kostitsyn is sent down again? Can't have it both ways.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I was there and nobody followed my "You Screwed Oilers" chant when Smyth was on the ice, but I still got lots of attention because of my Kovalev Ak Bars Kazan jersey and my friend had her Kovalev Dynamo Moscow jersey.
I pointed you out to a couple co-workers when I saw you at the store. Very nice jersey.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:48 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I pointed you out to a couple co-workers when I saw you at the store. Very nice jersey.
Hehe thank you; the first time I had the idea to check for russian jerseys came from this board so props to the guy who brought it up. I was looking at that entirely brown Habs cap; I liked it once but then you guys didn't have it anymore but now it's apparently back so I was thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
Where you was ?

I was White 307 AA, just under the Molson Ex freak... Now I know where are the folks who "booo" the players... all coming from there...

I was wearing a Kovalev t-shirt also.
Blue 415 D. I had 10 tickets this season, all in the blues, might do the same next season so look for the AK Bars Kazan Kovalev shirt or the blue Dynamo Moscow Markov shirt. My friend has a Dynamo Moscow Kovalev jersey.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
32. Andrei Kostitsyn, RW - Montreal Canadiens

You will get arguments in some corners that Kostitsyn is the top player in the AHL this season. A combination of salary cap and numbers have limited the Belarusian to just a handful of NHL games this season, but it's clear that the winger with the booming shot is ready to make the jump. He played 10 games with the Canadiens this year, posting three assists. With 21 goals and 31 assists in 50 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs, Kostitsyn has worked hard on his play away from the puck and on making his own shots, and he's expected to be a contributing regular at the NHL level next season.
----------------------

This was written in this article. http://hockeysfuture.com/articles/9502
He reminds me of Marian Hossa. It was also the observation of the Habs scouts a few years ago.

We need to give this kid some time to develop, the RIGHT way. He could really be a gamebreaker for us in a few years.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Because you probably are a genius..

Im starting to be seriously irritated by the ones claming they know better than the Gainey Carbo Jarvis Muller of this world..

Didnt you ever think that Carbo isnt stupid enough to realize the lines he created against St-Louis were looking somewhat marginal? The team was going nowhere even with our supposed "best offensive players" reunited together.. no synchronism, no energy, no soul, nothing was working... The team was already acting like they were outside of the playoffs race... What Carbo tried to do is shaken up his team, he had nothing to lose at this point.. That was what we could call an electrochocs treatment.. Carbo seen some things he didnt like in Kostitsyn's game, he thought he could do way better even if the whole team werent doing better than the kid... Instead watching the boat sinking, he took a drastic decision and as far as Im concerned, this is working... Once again, he had nothing to lose considering the team was playing like possibly the worst team in the league before the game against the Blues...

Easy to blame a coatch, but next time, try to ask yourself a couple of questions before having such ridiculous conclusions that you would do a better job than Carbo and the whole coatching staff to get this team on the right track..
You don't have to be a genius to understand that Carbonneau's line juggling has been more than subpar. Anyone whose played competitive hockey or has a semblance of a hockey IQ can do it.

Then you better get used to being irritated because this is a hockey forum where everyone plays armchair gm to a certain extent, in fact some might argue that the very purpose of these boards is to have an analytical dialogue between armchair gms.

At first glance one would think that. However one of the main reasons why our chemistry and confidence was shot was because of his panic moves following our first 3 game sldie after january. He decided to change line combinations around 50 times in the span of a couple of weeks. Obviously it creates an atmosphere of playing pick up hockey everytime you hit the ice. Not exactly conducive for chemistry and confidence.

St-Louis wasn't the first time he tried his shock tactics, he just lucky that we won for once. There are myriads of more logical lines matchings that he didn't try before picking name sout of a hat and putting them on the ice. (kovalev-koivu-samsonov, or Kovalev-Koivu, giving Perezhogin top 6 time (I know he's injured now but when he scored agaisnt nashville, next game he was back on the fourth line).

I'm not agaisnt desperation tactics. Far from it, especially when we are desperate. But you don't get a free pass when you were one of the main reasons for us being in such desperate straits.

Yeah it's real ridiculous to assume that someone could have done a better job that Carbonneau. With the season he's had, what's ridiculous is not to assume that anybody would have done a better job than Carbonneau.

Of course by your logic because we're not nhl coaches we can't possibly question their decisions and believe that there are other solutions.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:23 AM
J-D

I really don't know about the Hossa comparison... What makes you guys think that Andrei's game is similar to Marian Hossa's??

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
I really don't know about the Hossa comparison... What makes you guys think that Andrei's game is similar to Marian Hossa's??
I don't see it either.

To me Kostitsyn looks more like a poor mans Forsberg.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Pascal

His physique, his puckhandling, his shot, and his ability to create his own shots, that's what reminds me of Hossa.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:42 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
His physique, his puckhandling, his shot, and his ability to create his own shots, that's what reminds me of Hossa.
Yeah true but he does not drive the net as Hossa does. It seems when I watch him play Hossa takes the puck accross the blue line and carries it right into the slot or blue paint.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:48 AM
J-D

Hossa's speed permits him to do just that. On the other hand, Kostitsyn has average speed, which for the moment limits his effectiveness.

He does have real nice hands though.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:49 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Because you probably are a genius..

Im starting to be seriously irritated by the ones claming they know better than the Gainey Carbo Jarvis Muller of this world..

Didnt you ever think that Carbo isnt stupid enough to realize the lines he created against St-Louis were looking somewhat marginal? The team was going nowhere even with our supposed "best offensive players" reunited together.. no synchronism, no energy, no soul, nothing was working... The team was already acting like they were outside of the playoffs race... What Carbo tried to do is shaken up his team, he had nothing to lose at this point.. That was what we could call an electrochocs treatment.. Carbo seen some things he didnt like in Kostitsyn's game, he thought he could do way better even if the whole team werent doing better than the kid... Instead watching the boat sinking, he took a drastic decision and as far as Im concerned, this is working... Once again, he had nothing to lose considering the team was playing like possibly the worst team in the league before the game against the Blues...

Easy to blame a coatch, but next time, try to ask yourself a couple of questions before having such ridiculous conclusions that you would do a better job than Carbo and the whole coatching staff to get this team on the right track..
So, basically, since you approve Carbs line juggling you know better...

of course...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:10 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
Hossa's speed permits him to do just that. On the other hand, Kostitsyn has average speed, which for the moment limits his effectiveness.

He does have real nice hands though.
Effectively, if he can get a bit faster, sky is the limit. Personally, I think he compares more to Vanek than Hossa.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Maliki2

Yeah but this is Carbo so I think we will see lines more like this....everyone on the current roster will sit in the press box....new lines as follows....

Ewen - Brisebois - Courtnall
Brunet - DiPietro - Charbonneau
Ryan - Zholtok - Vukota
Sevigny- Thornton - Cummings

Manson - Robidas
Traverse - Zalapski
Ramage - Nasreddine

Racicot
Fiset

With a group like this who couldn't win!

Briseboise (cant play defense might as well try forward)...

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:35 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
You don't have to be a genius to understand that Carbonneau's line juggling has been more than subpar. Anyone whose played competitive hockey or has a semblance of a hockey IQ can do it.

Then you better get used to being irritated because this is a hockey forum where everyone plays armchair gm to a certain extent, in fact some might argue that the very purpose of these boards is to have an analytical dialogue between armchair gms.

At first glance one would think that. However one of the main reasons why our chemistry and confidence was shot was because of his panic moves following our first 3 game sldie after january. He decided to change line combinations around 50 times in the span of a couple of weeks. Obviously it creates an atmosphere of playing pick up hockey everytime you hit the ice. Not exactly conducive for chemistry and confidence.

St-Louis wasn't the first time he tried his shock tactics, he just lucky that we won for once. There are myriads of more logical lines matchings that he didn't try before picking name sout of a hat and putting them on the ice. (kovalev-koivu-samsonov, or Kovalev-Koivu, giving Perezhogin top 6 time (I know he's injured now but when he scored agaisnt nashville, next game he was back on the fourth line).

I'm not agaisnt desperation tactics. Far from it, especially when we are desperate. But you don't get a free pass when you were one of the main reasons for us being in such desperate straits.

Yeah it's real ridiculous to assume that someone could have done a better job that Carbonneau. With the season he's had, what's ridiculous is not to assume that anybody would have done a better job than Carbonneau.

Of course by your logic because we're not nhl coaches we can't possibly question their decisions and believe that there are other solutions.
As far as Im concerned, Julien had the same problem as Carbo had, the team has suddenly dropped and nothing Julien was trying was working.. even when Gainey jumped behind the bench, the team took a while to get going.. What was your opinion on Julien then, what is your opinion on Julien now?

Therrien had similar probs as well... There is a limit at what you can do as a coatch to get your guys going, if some of your vets are just not interested to put the effort, you cant whip them, you cant take their place on the ice... What was your opinion on Therrien then, whats your opinion on him now?

What was your opinion on Vigneault? Whats your opinion on Vigneault now?

You dont need to answer those questions to me, just ask yourself honestly, try to understand what really wrong with this team, try to remember what were you honestly thinking about Julien, Therrien and Vigneault when the carpet started to slip... 3 coatchs that have a solid chance to win the Jack Adams with their new team..

Something wrong with this team and the game of tonight provide good indications of what the real prob could be.

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 03-14-2007 at 02:47 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As far as Im concerned, Julien had the same problem as Carbo had, the team has suddenly dropped and nothing Julien was trying was working.. even when Gainey jumped behind the bench, the team took a while to get going.. What was your opinion on Julien then, what is your opinion on Julien now?

Therrien had similar probs as well... There is a limit at what you can do as a coatch to get your guys going, if some of your vets are just not interested to put the effort, you cant whip them, you cant take their place on the ice... What was your opinion on Therrien then, whats your opinion on him now?

What was your opinion on Vigneault? Whats your opinion on Vigneault now?

You dont need to answer those questions to me, just ask yourself honestly, try to understand what really wrong with this team, try to remember what were you honestly thinking about Julien, Therrien and Vigneault when the carpet started to slip... 3 coatchs that have a solid chance to win the calder with their new team..

Something wrong with this team and the game of tonight provide good indications of what the real prob could be.
I think you mean the Jack Adams trophy, and I don't give much credit to Julien. He coaches a team that could probably coach itself. Therrien and Vigneault both deserve some credit though.

03-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=200010&hubname=

"Andrei is a dominant player when he wants to be," said coach Guy Carbonneau. "When he uses his speed, size and shot really well, that's the way we want him to play."

sounds like carbo respects andrei's talent, but isn't 100% sold on his desire.... thats my interpretation anyways

he showed plenty of desire against the isles though.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:36 AM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I don't see it either.

To me Kostitsyn looks more like a poor mans Forsberg.
The comparison is good but I'm surprised to see the "poor mans" in there considering that your avatar is a super-andrei....

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:51 AM
MMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
About his lack of vocabulary...

Ahem...you know whenever I do satyrical pieces on the Habs, and I rib the Russians, Kostitsyn is always the dumbest of the bunch.

Just saying.
Kostitsyn is Belarusian.

Oh, and I am pretty sure that wise guy like you can speak Belarusian or Russian better than Kostitsyn - English

MMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 05:56 AM
kernkraft

Kástsitsyn будет ****

(Babelfish translation from "Kostitsyn is the ****" to Russian)

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

"Andrei is a dominant player when he wants to be," said coach Guy Carbonneau. "When he uses his speed, size and shot really well, that's the way we want him to play."

sounds like carbo respects andrei's talent, but isn't 100% sold on his desire.... thats my interpretation anyways

How could he not be happy with his defensive game, his line had the puck in the offensive zone for 95% of their shifts. If they are rarely in the defensive zone is that not perfect defense?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:26 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
How could he not be happy with his defensive game, his line had the puck in the offensive zone for 95% of their shifts. If they are rarely in the defensive zone is that not perfect defense?
Who said anything about being unhappy with his defensive game? Carbonneau was just pointing out that they want Andrei to use his "speed, size and shot" that way on a more consistent basis.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Kostitsyn is still very young, he's not going to be consistent all the time, that's why Carbonneau has to show patience (don't worry NewHabsarea, I'm not telling Carbo how to do his job ) just like he does with Latendresse. Kostitsyn's got all the tools to be a big time player for the Habs, all he's lacking right now is consistency at the NHL level. I think eventually that will come but you've got to let him become comfortable at the NHL level.

That ridiculous behind the back pass to Plekanec tonight showed how confident Kostitsyn was, because when you think about it, if he misses that pass he probably gets benched for attempting such a play, but a guy like Kostitsyn has to play like that to maximise his talent and effectiveness on the ice. Carbonneau stuck with him in the 1st and 2nd period by sending him out for a regular shift and even giving him PP time, and I think that boosted Kostitsyn's confidence knowing that he could play his type of game without getting a quick yank from the coach.

Furthermore, i'd like to add that I think anyother player on the Habs would of shot the puck in Kostitsyn's place last night, and it probably would of been an easy save for the goalie considering Kostitsyn had no angle, the poise, vision and ability he showed there was very impressive.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Russeltown

Kostitsyn's backhand pass to Plekanec

Youtube anyone?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
You can see it on the NHL.com highlight videos if you don't mind a little waiting.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Souray44

Man, that was sick. I couldn't believe my eyes when he did that. He totally looked poised to shoot then pulled that off.

It was a great capper to a great game.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote