HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sore knees, but not while skating

Old
05-12-2014, 03:33 AM
BrummieRed

vCash: 500
Sore knees, but not while skating

I'm playing twice a week now (50 yo noob playing since last summer) skating another 2 or 3 times, and I'm getting a v sore knee(s). I can skate fine with no pain, but when I come down stairs at home it's really painful - a sharp pain right in behind the kneecap (left more than right at the moment).

Anyone else had it?

Any tips?

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Pacifist Goon

There's no cure for old age unfortunately (yet).

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 04:00 AM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
There's no cure for old age unfortunately (yet).
Ha!

I think it's this (NB, affects any age )

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/runners-knee.html

Old
05-12-2014, 11:39 AM
buddhaknows

1. See your orthopedic

2. Stretch your hamstrings, quads, calves

3. Stretch your back lower and upper

4. Stretch your hips - can't emphasize this enough

5. Did I mention see your orthopedic? They'll probably send you to PT. Learn a few of the fancy stretches and you'll be good as new.

Us old timers have to be careful even though knee pain effects everyone, even the young whipper snappers.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:09 PM
damack

As another old guy with beat up knees learning to play, I started taking a product called Sierrasil. It's made those trips up and down the stairs pain free. I hate taking any sort of medication/supplement but this stuff seems to work for me.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2015, 06:33 AM
BrummieRed

I solved this one. It is/was patello-femoral misalignment. Basically when your kneecap tracks out of line because of an imbalance in leg muscles. The problem was in my weaker (left) leg and has largely gone after regular one leg squats.

And in response to the age comments, it taught me a lesson - Don't mistake not being fit for something* for old age ;-)

* IE, not having the right amount of strength in the right places

Old
03-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Pacifist Goon

I am reasonably fit, on ice 4-5 times a week totalling about ten hours, run twice a week for about an hour each time and have just recently started a little bit of lifting again, nothing major, but building on it slowly, but I'm 240 pounds/ 109kg and knees have taken a pounding over the years.

I'm fine skating, but pay the price after running with sore knees. Gonna have to switch from running to the pool at some stage.

I see the running as a necessary evil now to get any kind of cardio edge over others, either who I'm playing with or against. Never found any shortcut or substitute for the running.

Old
03-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Pacifist Goon

I just marvel at guys like Chelios, Selanne, Brodeur and Jagr and how they could/can keep performing at such an elite level into their forties.

Old
03-10-2015, 03:22 PM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
I am reasonably fit, on ice 4-5 times a week totalling about ten hours, run twice a week for about an hour each time
That sounds a lot of distance running to me. Have you thought about cutting the runs to like 10 min warm ups and focussing on sprints/hill sprints/agility work? You can get the cardio in a much more hockey specific way than you are and with what it's doing to your knees you might wanna re-think.

Old
03-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Pacifist Goon

It's not just for hockey, but general base fitness. Have cut the time/distance and frequency down, but no matter what the level, have for a long time prided myself on being able to still keep going when others are on their knees.

Used to get a kick out of showing up the younger guys who didn't put the work in. I do a bit of hill work, but am past the stage where I want to (or can) be the quickest over 40 or 100. Too many back and hamstring problems over the years.

The skill is the biggest factor in hockey. You don't need to be the biggest, strongest or fastest, just always be improving in skating and skills. I think that's one of the biggest attractions of hockey despite the reputation as a thug or gladiator sport. Little guys can play it and excel, unlike perhaps basketball or football.

Old
03-11-2015, 03:56 AM
BrummieRed

I guess it's a case of YMMV. In my situation I play with a lot of adult beginners and I can get a jump on even those half my age by having quicker feet/good sprinting on the ice so I focus on that (as well as general balance and strength stuff). I don't find endurance a problem against those I play with either.

Old
03-15-2015, 08:17 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
In my case, proper supportive footwear cured back,leg,knee and foot pain a few years back. Ugly arse soft soled Timberlands saved me.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote