HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Part IV (MOD WARNING POST #1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2014, 09:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Not his fault, Pacioretty isn't carrying him right now.
While it's fair to say Pacioretty is best on the line(prior to Vanek because that's about equal or wtv) I don't think pacioretty has done enough for pacioretty.

Old
05-10-2014, 09:59 PM
cave troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Can't really lump Plekanec and DD together. Plekanec is playing against the bruins top line and is near a point per game in the playoffs. DD has 1 point in 5 games as a pure offense guy who can't be used in any other role.
OK. But like I said, some big names are in big time floating mode. Pointing at anyone who is trying give his best even when this best is mediocre hockey is pointless.
We all know DD's limitations, so constantly pointing at him as our worst player is meaningless.
There are players who earn much bigger money and who are deemed as goalscorers and who don't give a **** about what's going on on ice and are playing much worse hockey than the smurf on my avatar.

Old
05-10-2014, 10:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really don't think he's been bad this playoffs. I also think this is basically what he is - a .5 PPG player who lives and dies according to his linemates.

He has been decent defensively too.

The biggest problem is he cannot be the best player on his line if we want to be effective. Pacioretty is snakebit.
I think this is as fair as it gets. DD can match up to the skill of his linemates but he cannot elevate their game. Certainly if Max is in the right spot DD can find him and compliment him well but if the offense lives and dies with DD's performance we're going to see a 3.5 mil player play like a 3.5 mil player.

The issue however is although Eller has played well, I don't think Eller or Plekanec can carry Pacioretty either. I think the line would perform better as a whole but only one who can make max better is max.

I've been daydreaming about SJS trading a guy like Joe Thornton. Playoff choke aside imagine him in DD's place. A lot more size to handle.

Old
05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave troll View Post
OK. But like I said, some big names are in big time floating mode. Pointing at anyone who is trying give his best even when this best is mediocre hockey is pointless.
We all know DD's limitations, so constantly pointing at him as our worst player is meaningless.
There are players who earn much bigger money and who are deemed as goalscorers and who don't give a **** about what's going on on ice and are playing much worse hockey than the smurf on my avatar.
I agree with this 100%.

Still as a fan I'm personally hoping DD plays above his ability for game 6. Just 1 game (or 2 hopefully) where there's the bounces going his way.

Same for max and everyone else.

I think it's completely pointless to blast DD for his line's performance but it's important to know he's part of it regardless. We're stuck with what we have, but we can hope what we have has more to give.

Seeing DD almost get a breakaway you're just hoping he gets a chance to go forehand and get it in. 3-2 game with plenty of time left. That's what we need, that extra step to get in front of the D and be the difference.

Old
05-10-2014, 10:19 PM
cave troll

Forget about DD's miracle on ice on game 6.
That won't happen.

Old
05-10-2014, 10:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave troll View Post
Forget about DD's miracle on ice on game 6.
That won't happen.
No ****, but you hope that line does something.

Old
05-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
While it's fair to say Pacioretty is best on the line(prior to Vanek because that's about equal or wtv) I don't think pacioretty has done enough for pacioretty.
That's the point.

Desharnais' offensive production is too dependent on Pacioretty IMO. Doesn't matter if it's on the PP or ES, seems they look for the same plays. A playmaker is a supposed to be crafty and not as predictable. Some reason, these two have tunnel vision when they get the puck in the offensive zone. Desharnais only looks for Pacioretty when he gets puck. Pacioretty is heavily covered, Gallagher/Vanek in front of net/side just standing. Desharnais panics and passes back to point, puck is cut off by the forwards waiting for his point pass. This almost literally happens 5-6 times a game when they have puck in the offensive zone. On the powerplay it's even worse.

He has less points than Briere. At some point, when you are considered the team's best offensive C by a lot of people, you have to be accountable for the lack of production. If this line doesn't produce game 6, it's unlikely Habs win.

Old
05-10-2014, 11:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
That's the point.

Desharnais' offensive production is too dependent on Pacioretty IMO. Doesn't matter if it's on the PP or ES, seems they look for the same plays. A playmaker is a supposed to be crafty and not as predictable. Some reason, these two have tunnel vision when they get the puck in the offensive zone. Desharnais only looks for Pacioretty when he gets puck. Pacioretty is heavily covered, Gallagher/Vanek in front of net/side just standing. Desharnais panics and passes back to point, puck is cut off by the forwards waiting for his point pass. This almost literally happens 5-6 times a game when they have puck in the offensive zone. On the powerplay it's even worse.

He has less points than Briere. At some point, when you are considered the team's best offensive C by a lot of people, you have to be accountable for the lack of production. If this line doesn't produce game 6, it's unlikely Habs win.
Do you blame Kunitz if Crosby doesn't produce? Seems very convenient for some.

That being said, I would swap the line but as I said with the kunitz/Crosby comparison, it just doesn't make sense.

Someone will say but Playmaker vs Sniper and yada yada to mask the truth. Do we blame Backstrom for Ovechkin? We don't.

Old
05-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Andy

Quote:
Do you blame Kunitz if Crosby doesn't produce? Seems very convenient for some.

That being said, I would swap the line but as I said with the kunitz/Crosby comparison, it just doesn't make sense.

Someone will say but Playmaker vs Sniper and yada yada to mask the truth. Do we blame Backstrom for Ovechkin? We don't.
No one is blaming anyone other than MT keeping them together. DD playing his hardest isn't enough to get Pacioretty out of his slump, why keep them together then? Maybe Pacioretty can find success playing with a different combo of players? The blame here is being attributed mostly to MT. And if blame is being assigned to a player, it's Pacioretty for being gutless.

As for DD, our worst fears came to the fore these playoffs. He's 100% dependent on his wingers for production. No matter how good he's playing, his production is 0 if his wingers aren't producing which is contrary to the argument that Desharnais' vision makes his wingers better.

I don't care about his effort level or defensive play or his battle. If your sole purpose is to be an offensive centre on the team and you don't produce, you have failed at your task. He isn't good enough to create on his own and isn't good enough to produce when his linemmates are slumping.

But this is not DDs fault, It's MT who keeps leaning on him for offense despite having the least points as a centre in the POs (while having the team's best wingers and the bulk of the PP time and O-zone starts).

Replace DDs name with Pacioretty if you want, I don't care.

Old
05-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Milhouse40

Pretty easy to understand:
The duo of Pacioretty - Desharnais is a 2 for 1.

Take out Pacioretty and you get Desharnais for free!!
And it allow you to put 2 guys at all time on Pacioretty too.

Let Desharnais skate around the ice...let him get in the O-zone...
Won't beat any player 1-on-1, never happened, not in his skills.
Won't scared any goalie with his shot, and probably won't shoot anyway
Won't run through a D with his size and speed, cause he don't got any.
Won't physically own ANY players and get the best of them.

No easy for wingers to play with a linesmates that can't make it through a shift without
falling on his ass and providing absolutely no Time and space....actually, he's taking some
of this time and space from his linesmates by being such a one-trick pony who rely on
his linesmates to be effective. 2 for 1.

Lucky Galchenyuk was out....cause i would've give him his chance at center on this line.
Time to move on with another plan.

Old
05-11-2014, 12:09 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Pretty easy to understand:
The duo of Pacioretty - Desharnais is a 2 for 1.

Take out Pacioretty and you get Desharnais for free!!
And it allow you to put 2 guys at all time on Pacioretty too.

Let Desharnais skate around the ice...let him get in the O-zone...
Won't beat any player 1-on-1, never happened, not in his skills.
Won't scared any goalie with his shot, and probably won't shoot anyway
Won't run through a D with his size and speed, cause he don't got any.
Won't physically own ANY players and get the best of them.

No easy for wingers to play with a linesmates that can't make it through a shift without
falling on his ass and providing absolutely no Time and space....actually, he's taking some
of this time and space from his linesmates by being such a one-trick pony who rely on
his linesmates to be effective. 2 for 1.

Lucky Galchenyuk was out....cause i would've give him his chance at center on this line.
Time to move on with another plan.
How about something revolutionary. Hear me out, I'm quite the "out of the box thinker".

How about instead of saying "Take out Pacioretty" we have Pacioretty show up and impose his skill and size?

What am I saying? That's crazy. Expecting one of the biggest forwards on the team to use his size. Insane.

Oh well, where were we? Yah, smallest forward on team isn't creating space for biggest forward on team. ****ing Desharnais.

Old
05-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
How about something revolutionary. Hear me out, I'm quite the "out of the box thinker".

How about instead of saying "Take out Pacioretty" we have Pacioretty show up and impose his skill and size?

What am I saying? That's crazy. Expecting one of the biggest forwards on the team to use his size. Insane.

Oh well, where were we? Yah, smallest forward on team isn't creating space for biggest forward on team. ****ing Desharnais.
You mean like Vanek (who NEVER were a physical player)
Or mayby like Gaborik who don't hit anybody....

Lots of big non physical player in the league and average size non physical players also like
Kane for exemple.

Pacioretty's size and physical play wouldn't be such a problem if he were playing with
someone like Eller.....but with DD....he absolutely need to use his size......cause DD is so ****ing small.

Old
05-11-2014, 12:34 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Lots of big non physical player in the league and average size non physical players also like
Kane for exemple.

Pacioretty's size and physical play wouldn't be such a problem if he were playing with
someone like Eller.....but with DD....he absolutely need to use his size......cause DD is so ****ing small.
I'm not asking Max to be physical. It's not his game.

I'm asking him to get a little more involved in earning his chances.

If we say max is a big scoring winger we might as well remove the 'big'. Because if he has no responsibility or will to use the size he might as well be 5'7 right?

Old
05-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

Kane for exemple.

Do Gaborik and Kane require a powerforward on their line so they can use their skill to produce?

If Pacioretty is going to be a big soft skill guy then he needs to find ways to let his skills do the talking. Unfortunately, Pacioretty doesn't have the puckhandling skills, smarts and heart to make anything happen on his own it seems.

Old
05-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Do Gaborik and Kane require a powerforward on their line so they can use their skill to produce?

If Pacioretty is going to be a big soft skill guy then he needs to find ways to let his skills do the talking. Unfortunately, Pacioretty doesn't have the puckhandling skills, smarts and heart to make anything happen on his own it seems.
Mayby....same goes for DD, he might have the heart and the smart, but he don't have the skills to make anything happen on his own.

Old
05-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Mayby....same goes for DD, he might have the heart and the smart, but he don't have the skills to make anything happen on his own.
There were numerous occasions in this series where DD had the puck with speed gained entry in the zone but was forced into nothing. The job of driving the net to clear out space is on Max not Gallagher or even Vanek. It is incredible to me that the one player on the line with the straightline speed isn't using it where it is needed most.

Old
05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Briere > Desharnais on the PP.
That's true. Mainly because Brière is a much better scorer than DD and is a threat to shoot the puck when he has it.

Old
05-11-2014, 12:51 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Through all the highs and lows of this season, the one thing I'll never understand is why did MT hate Briere so much. Scratching him last game was one of the worst decision ever. Briere did the extreme best he could with the teammates and time given. His reward, scratched and replaced by Prust at his career worst. Prust is awful defensively and is probably injured. What was the deal?

Old
05-11-2014, 12:55 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Can't really lump Plekanec and DD together. Plekanec is playing against the bruins top line and is near a point per game in the playoffs. DD has 1 point in 5 games as a pure offense guy who can't be used in any other role.
Really ? Do you think that DD's line with Pacioretty isn't getting coverage from the Bergeron and Krejci lines ?

DD might not be producing against these guys, but he's been on the ice for only one goal against. That's not what was expected of him, but at least he's being useful in the sense that he's not getting scored on against strong offensive lines like the Krejci and Bergeron lines.

Old
05-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
As much as I want DD to produce a point per game and more, I AM seeing something out of him that I haven't seen from Pacioretty and Vanek all series long -- effort.

When you see a player of DD's stature, skating into corners and making contact with Zdeno Chara in an effort to free the puck and win a board battle, you can't help but be impressed. To boot, he has won some battles against Chara. Meanwhile, I see Pacioretty and Vanek passively skate into the offensive zone, do next to nothing, drag their feet on the back-check and then skate off to the bench. For five games, they have mailed it in. Taking Vanek off the line hasn't helped he nor DD and Patches. What's next?

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
05-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
As much as I want DD to produce a point per game and more, I AM seeing something out of him that I haven't seen from Pacioretty and Vanek all series long -- effort.

When you see a player of DD's stature, skating into corners and making contact with Zdeno Chara in an effort to free the puck and win a board battle, you can't help but be impressed. To boot, he has won some battles against Chara. Meanwhile, I see Pacioretty and Vanek passively skate into the offensive zone, do next to nothing, drag their feet on the back-check and then skate off to the bench. For five games, they have mailed it in. Taking Vanek off the line hasn't helped he nor DD and Patches. What's next?
Agree. I want to see more from Desharnais offensively, but Pacioretty and at times Vanek have been complete no shows. You won't score against Boston if you are the only guy on your line is scoring.

I would try Weise with DD and Pacioretty to open up more space. Gallagher tries hard but he doesn't have the size and Max is playing a perimiter game.

Then put Gallagher with Plekanec and Vanek.

Old
05-12-2014, 07:58 AM
DAChampion

I would try Bourque and Gallagher with Desharnais.

Pacioretty can play bottom six.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

already too late to experiment, it's not the kind of stuff you experiment when on the brinks of elimination.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I would try Bourque and Gallagher with Desharnais.

Pacioretty can play bottom six.
We are deluding ourselves if we think Gallagher Desharnais can triumph over the likes of Bergeron Chara in a 7 game series. Are we not able to read anything into the fact that our Eller line is the Only Line consistently playing hockey in the other end. It's not like they've only done it against Soderberg, they drew Krejci and Bergeron a ton this series. There is one term that comes to mind with regards to the DD line and it's been bandied about all year.

"sheltered"

Welcome to the real season where you just can't hide.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Karl Eriksson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
That's true. Mainly because Brière is a much better scorer than DD and is a threat to shoot the puck when he has it.
Have they tried Briere with Max Pac these playoffs ?

Closed Thread