HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban talked to Serge Savard

Old
05-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Devourers

vCash: 50
Subban has always been a clutch playoff performer, he's just more mature and experienced now.

I find it borderline insulting that people are giving any credit to anyone other than the man on the ice.

Subban has always been a playoff performer. This season is no different. It makes a lot more sense to give him credit for continuing on in this way than it does to give credit to Savard for talking to him. In fact, I think I'll go with the guy who proved he was clutch no matter the circumstances over they guy who gave him a chit chat.

Just saying, this isn't a shallow minded mentally feeble tool we have as a #1 dman. He's able to bring himself to that level all on his own, give credit where it's due, to him, not Serge.

It's equally as lame as people giving credit to Steven Segal for an Anderson Silva victory, it's laughable.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Huh? Where did you get this stuff about Savard?
Savard has said some dumb stuff in the past. Came out and ripped Robinson claiming that Larry would only stay if his number was retired. In regards to the language issue he's talked about how the coach and GM HAS to be french...

All that is noise though because he was still a hell of a blueliner, still knows the game, still has some insight into the media and life in Montreal... I don't see how it can be a bad thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
Subban has always been a clutch playoff performer, he's just more mature and experienced now.

I find it borderline insulting that people are giving any credit to anyone other than the man on the ice.

Subban has always been a playoff performer. This season is no different. It makes a lot more sense to give him credit for continuing on in this way than it does to give credit to Savard for talking to him. In fact, I think I'll go with the guy who proved he was clutch no matter the circumstances over they guy who gave him a chit chat.

Just saying, this isn't a shallow minded mentally feeble tool we have as a #1 dman. He's able to bring himself to that level all on his own, give credit where it's due, to him, not Serge.

It's equally as lame as people giving credit to Steven Segal for an Anderson Silva victory, it's laughable.
Nah its all Serge Savard man... And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what people are saying in this thread.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Devourers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Savard has said some dumb stuff in the past. Came out and ripped Robinson claiming that Larry would only stay if his number was retired. In regards to the language issue he's talked about how the coach and GM HAS to be french...

All that is noise though because he was still a hell of a blueliner, still knows the game, still has some insight into the media and life in Montreal... I don't see how it can be a bad thing.

Nah its all Serge Savard man... And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what people are saying in this thread.
PK always stepped up like this in the playoffs before, so there's no reason to believe anything other than PK himself has motivated him to be as good as he's been, but hey, if believing in wild speculation based on zero facts is your thing, go for it believe.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
PK always stepped up like this in the playoffs before, so there's no reason to believe anything other than PK himself has motivated him to be as good as he's been, but hey, if believing in wild speculation based on zero facts is your thing, go for it believe.
Your sarcasm detector is broken.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Huh? Where did you get this stuff about Savard?
Savard jerked Larry Robinson around before Robinson left to LA. Reneged on a contract offer and forced Larry to sign elsewhere (source:Robinson)

Savard forced Lafleur into retirement. He refused a trade request by Lafleur when his ice time went down, and he chose to believe unfounded rumours of Lafleurs drug use. Lafleur retired as his only option. (Source: Many sources but here's one article http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...y-the-surprise )

Then there's his later career mishandling of the Canadiens which some have attributed to a lack of focus and conflict of interest with his other business dealings.

In any case I am a fan of Savard as a hockey player, but he hurt the team as a GM. As an old school player and manager I don't think he gives anything to Subban that's relevant in the modern game. This is a feel good story, probably magnified X10 because it's Subban involved.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But focus he does.
C'mon, really? He's the most focused player on the team, there is nobody that has his head on straighter than PK. Nobody.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:03 AM
MasterD

I find it sad, if true, that Subban has to turn to an old timer for comfort and advice when Therrien and Bergy have a team of 10+ people surrounding the team. Then again, not surprised if all assistant coaches have Therrien's mindset about him.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Devourers

Mistake delete lol

Old
05-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Maxor

I'm sure Serge just wanted to bring in Subban as a client for Assante.

Maxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't know about the Robinsonstory but that's horse crap about the coach having to be French. I heard him on TSN 690 and what he said was this is Quebec and many of the Habs fans are french speaking so it's only polite and good business to have the coach SPEAK French. Nothing about being French (or French Canadian). You should really get your **** right.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Savard jerked Larry Robinson around before Robinson left to LA. Reneged on a contract offer and forced Larry to sign elsewhere (source:Robinson)

Savard forced Lafleur into retirement. He refused a trade request by Lafleur when his ice time went down, and he chose to believe unfounded rumours of Lafleurs drug use. Lafleur retired as his only option. (Source: Many sources but here's one article http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...y-the-surprise )

Then there's his later career mishandling of the Canadiens which some have attributed to a lack of focus and conflict of interest with his other business dealings.

In any case I am a fan of Savard as a hockey player, but he hurt the team as a GM. As an old school player and manager I don't think he gives anything to Subban that's relevant in the modern game. This is a feel good story, probably magnified X10 because it's Subban involved.
For his mishandling of the Habs I agree. In his later years he was almost as bad as Houle or Gauthier. For the other stuff, the Robinson story I never read or heard. The Lafleur story I also heard that the Flower quit because of Lemaire so I don't know.

I do know he traded Nilan away & broke his heart and Knuckles has only great things to say about The Senator. Calls him one of his best friends.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote