HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Nylander Stall (and other self-defeated rushes)

Old
03-13-2007, 05:43 PM
mnorman1

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
The Nylander Stall (and other self-defeated rushes)

Over watching the past few games, I've become frustrated with this:

Turnover in neutral zone. Nylander takes puck on rush. Instead of shooting or passing to take a chance, he does a biggggg slow 360 as the defense gets re-adjusted. I know this gives the Rangers more time to set up, but it also gives more time to a defense or goalie that may have been caught off guard by the quick rush. I usually notice this with Nylander, but Jagr and Straka have done the same...

Thoughts?

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
Over watching the past few games, I've become frustrated with this:

Turnover in neutral zone. Nylander takes puck on rush. Instead of shooting or passing to take a chance, he does a biggggg slow 360 as the defense gets re-adjusted. I know this gives the Rangers more time to set up, but it also gives more time to a defense or goalie that may have been caught off guard by the quick rush. I usually notice this with Nylander, but Jagr and Straka have done the same...

Thoughts?
He thinks he's Wayne Gretzky with that 180 turn in the offensive zone.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
shoothepuck

They never seem to try to take advantage of other teams, and like stated, let the defenders set up and wait for them. It almost seems like their going on a pp and they need to get set first and wait for the best shot, which never happens. In the game against the Islanders where they had 50+ shots, they attacked every chance they had, and forchecked even harder.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Nylander

Say what you will about Michael Nylander, but the reality of it is he has had a better impact to this club than any center has since Wayne Gretzky...and that's a 10 year span.

On Nylander- I will agree with the major concensus that he need sto shoot the puck more. There's no question about that. But even with that his passing, boardwork, positioning, stickhandling, and overall production far outweigh any of his shortcomings.

When was the last time a guy signed here and was expected to be nothing more than mediocre and ended up playing on the top line and producing the numbers that Nylander has?

I heard the boo's reigning down for Nylander recently and it really hits home. Personally I don't think any player should be booed in his own building. Especially not a player that is relied upon as the clubs best set up man. To me it shows no class at all. I think the guy is a tremendous asset to the Rangers and should be resigned next season again.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:43 AM
swedishfish

i agree completely.

swedishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Say what you will about Michael Nylander, but the reality of it is he has had a better impact to this club than any center has since Wayne Gretzky...and that's a 10 year span.

On Nylander- I will agree with the major concensus that he need sto shoot the puck more. There's no question about that. But even with that his passing, boardwork, positioning, stickhandling, and overall production far outweigh any of his shortcomings.

When was the last time a guy signed here and was expected to be nothing more than mediocre and ended up playing on the top line and producing the numbers that Nylander has?

I heard the boo's reigning down for Nylander recently and it really hits home. Personally I don't think any player should be booed in his own building. Especially not a player that is relied upon as the clubs best set up man. To me it shows no class at all. I think the guy is a tremendous asset to the Rangers and should be resigned next season again.
Yea...Ranger fans suck. They have no right to be booing. Greedy Ranger fans...all the Rangers have done in their history is win win win. Ranger fans can't deal with just a little hardship. Tisk tisk Ranger fans.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:12 AM
JRGNYR

Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is New York. You're not gonna get fans to pay to go to a game and then sit silently, especially when one of their players is playing like crap. Any fan who pays hard earned money to go to a game deserves to see effort, and they also reserve the right to boo. The "Shoot the puck" chants have been an awesome addition to the MSG crowd the last few games. It's a paying customer's right to do that. What should they do, sit on their hands?

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:16 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
I was watching the game with my Ranger fan friends, and even I started yelling "shoot the puck." Its ridiculous. Its always ridiculous.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
I was watching the game with my Ranger fan friends, and even I started yelling "shoot the puck." Its ridiculous. Its always ridiculous.
It seems that it's 100X worse at home than on the road. For some reason they want to score such sexy looking goals at home rather than just get them ugly like they do more often in road games.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Ola

Quote:

Lion, great post!

I agree 100%.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 06:55 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
They never seem to try to take advantage of other teams, and like stated, let the defenders set up and wait for them. It almost seems like their going on a pp and they need to get set first and wait for the best shot, which never happens. In the game against the Islanders where they had 50+ shots, they attacked every chance they had, and forchecked even harder.
They don't take advantage because they think they don't have to. This team has the air of arrogance that they are great and their skill is superior. They can beat teams they way they want to. They don't need 35 shots a game, they only need 5 for the 5 goals they can score. Basically they act like their strengths alone are enough to win, they don't have to bother exploiting the other team's weaknesses. That's why the powerplay doesn't chance, that's why the offensive scheme doesn't change, that's why the lineup doesn't change. Listen to what Jagr said before the game. He's talking about how great they've been playing all year but they just haven't gotten the breaks. Renney talks about how great and tenured his players are so he doesn't feel obligated to tell them how to play.

The truth is this team was much more humble last season and it showed in their effort. They played 60 minute games, they played defense and they played hard. Teams that play that way don't lose this many games late, they don't lose multi goal leads on a regular basis if at all.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 08:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

How long have you been watching the Rangers?

Hes been doing this for his whole career here, nothing new. Its the Euro - East/West style and its not gonna change until the Rangers get rid of all of them. But that wont happen because, you are gonna want some dynamic flair on this team, and they sure dont have alot of that in the prospect pool.

Look, these guys are wizards with the puck, especially Nylander. On nights were they convert they are great to watch, sometimes the best and most entertaining line in the entire NHL. On other nights they dont convert they look out of place, mistimed and predictable.

The Rangers live and die with this lines production for the most part. That "Line" whether separated or not is Straka-Nylander-Jagr.

Theres nothing new here.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
all of Nylander's annoyances magically dissapear with a legit 1st line center on the team. Nylander would be one of the premier 2nd line centers in the NHL, but alas all his mistakes and weaknesses are magnified when he's our top line center.

RangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
I'm sorry, but this is New York. You're not gonna get fans to pay to go to a game and then sit silently, especially when one of their players is playing like crap. Any fan who pays hard earned money to go to a game deserves to see effort, and they also reserve the right to boo. The "Shoot the puck" chants have been an awesome addition to the MSG crowd the last few games. It's a paying customer's right to do that. What should they do, sit on their hands?

I know a little about paying for a game myself. A season ticket holder since I was 16. I didn't even own a car before my brother and I were going to 20 plus games a season. But also as a paying customer, i'm not looking for the rest of the place to give up hope and start booing thier own team especially when the majority of the team is totally banged up and clinging to playoff life. To me it just a sign that fans have given up, and that gets the NY Rangers nowhere.

Personally, I have never boo'ed one Ranger player in that whole timeframe. There were times when I was pissed at some of the bonehead moves. The Kovalev's coughing the puck up in the offensive zone...Richter coming out of the net and mishandling the puck in the corners...Tom Poti, Igor Ulanov, Sylvain Leferve, Malakov, Bruce Driver, Boris Mironov, or Stephan Quintal never playing the body!!! Jan Hlavac and Petr Nedved missing the net with every shot!!!...Sandy McCarthy not doing his job after Radek Dvorak was carried off the ice from a cheapshot!!!...there were plenty of times I could have boo'ed the team, but I didn't, cause I had respect for the players. I know that these guys are totally under the microscope, but to me the "shoot the puck chant" is a disgrace. Again, it's a sign that the fans themselves are quitting on the team. How the hell are these players supposed to respond in a positive fashion when they are booed in thier own building? Seriously? And if you didn't notice last night with 7 minutes left in the game, Rangers on the PP, with a chance to tie it and what happens? The fans start a mock chant, and the Rangers rush the play, lose the puck, and totally unraveled after that. Not for nothing, but to get a quick laugh out of a chant, and to boo your own team is not what I am paying money for. Yeah it sucks that this team is on the outside of the playoff brackett as we speak, but still a game in hand and still very much in this thing. But if the fans are going to give up on the team, and that's exactly what is happening when they boo, then this team has ZERO chance of making it into the playoffs.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:40 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
I know a little about paying for a game myself. A season ticket holder since I was 16. I didn't even own a car before my brother and I were going to 20 plus games a season. But also as a paying customer, i'm not looking for the rest of the place to give up hope and start booing thier own team especially when the majority of the team is totally banged up and clinging to playoff life. To me it just a sign that fans have given up, and that gets the NY Rangers nowhere.

Personally, I have never boo'ed one Ranger player in that whole timeframe. There were times when I was pissed at some of the bonehead moves. The Kovalev's coughing the puck up in the offensive zone...Richter coming out of the net and mishandling the puck in the corners...Tom Poti, Igor Ulanov, Sylvain Leferve, Malakov, Bruce Driver, Boris Mironov, or Stephan Quintal never playing the body!!! Jan Hlavac and Petr Nedved missing the net with every shot!!!...Sandy McCarthy not doing his job after Radek Dvorak was carried off the ice from a cheapshot!!!...there were plenty of times I could have boo'ed the team, but I didn't, cause I had respect for the players. I know that these guys are totally under the microscope, but to me the "shoot the puck chant" is a disgrace. Again, it's a sign that the fans themselves are quitting on the team. How the hell are these players supposed to respond in a positive fashion when they are booed in thier own building? Seriously? And if you didn't notice last night with 7 minutes left in the game, Rangers on the PP, with a chance to tie it and what happens? The fans start a mock chant, and the Rangers rush the play, lose the puck, and totally unraveled after that. Not for nothing, but to get a quick laugh out of a chant, and to boo your own team is not what I am paying money for. Yeah it sucks that this team is on the outside of the playoff brackett as we speak, but still a game in hand and still very much in this thing. But if the fans are going to give up on the team, and that's exactly what is happening when they boo, then this team has ZERO chance of making it into the playoffs.
I have to agree here somewhat! I think all this second guessing and negativity however, has been brought on by the obvious frustration of winning in 94, and then becoming a laughing stock since then, having mortgaged away any youth in the system and constantly overpaying for players past performance! It has left a sour taste in alot of fans mouths, including my own. However, I see that this franchise has turned the corner, that moment started at the end of 04, when the trades all went down. It continues to this day with the fact that each season, we see upgrades in talent, along with an infusion of youth. Some folks say not enough youth is on the big club, but I happen to think that the patience the organization is showing, while annoying, will pay off in the next several years. Just take a quick look at Girardi, Tyutin,Hossa,Lundy,Hollweg,Orts...and now Dubi. All have one thing in common, they are young and weren't brought up in a rush and put in positions where mistakes would retard their development. Renney has exhibited one good trait no one can dispute....patience with players and their maturation/development at the NHL level. He believes in these kids..and as much as I want Dubi to play more...at this point, Renney knows that a mistake could turn this kids confidence the wrong way, hence the resticted minutes. I'm not totally sure he's right, but I can't argue with him either. He was smart enough to see Lundmark wasn't going to become anything, and to see what Hossa could become, so I think we all have to look at the glass as half full, and try to show some real support right now to this organization. This team is held together with smoke and mirrors right now thanks to all the injuries, and regardless of the mistakes, these players ARE TRYING, unlike some of the recent Ranger players who were playing for themselves and gave a half hearted effort on the ice. Last season was WONDERFULLY unpredictable, this season has been a reality check, but through them both, the effort has been there.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:

You don't like it, stop going to the games. You don't want to participate in it, don't. But please, for the love of god, get off the soapbox already. This little speech has been given ad nauseam throughout the season. We don't need another newbie riding through here on his high horse, blowing his little bugle, singing his song about it all being the work of malicious fans. The team was poorly constructed and the fans haven't gotten their money's worth so they voice their displeasure...deal with it. Stop with the Golden Idol crap ('oh they did this and this and mean so much and yadda-yadda-yadda and we have no right to boo, blah blah!).

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:

Absolutely agree 100%. Very well put.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:16 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
You don't like it, stop going to the games. You don't want to participate in it, don't. But please, for the love of god, get off the soapbox already. This little speech has been given ad nauseam throughout the season. We don't need another newbie riding through here on his high horse, blowing his little bugle, singing his song about it all being the work of malicious fans. The team was poorly constructed and the fans haven't gotten their money's worth so they voice their displeasure...deal with it. Stop with the Golden Idol crap ('oh they did this and this and mean so much and yadda-yadda-yadda and we have no right to boo, blah blah!).
You need to stop with the negativity! No one put a gun to your head and forced you to read it and agree with him. You have the option to disagree, you don't have the right to belittle his opinion or anyone else's.

Old
03-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
You need to stop with the negativity! No one put a gun to your head and forced you to read it and agree with him. You have the option to disagree, you don't have the right to belittle his opinion or anyone else's.
Soooo...I can't tell him to get off his soapbox, but he can call people classless because they boo? Typical fanboy double standard. They put their heroes on the highest pedestal and crucify anyone who doesn't fall in line with their thinking. Lion Hound doesn't boo, so anyone who boos is classless and disgraceful. Out come the soapboxes and high-horses.

Old
03-14-2007, 10:47 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Soooo...I can't tell him to get off his soapbox, but he can call people classless because they boo? Typical fanboy double standard. They put their heroes on the highest pedestal and crucify anyone who doesn't fall in line with their thinking. Lion Hound doesn't boo, so anyone who boos is classless and disgraceful. Out come the soapboxes and high-horses.
[/I]

As I posted, you certainly have a right to give a different perspective. What you don't have a right to do is belittle another poster for their opinion. Feel free to argue...just don't belittle . I don't think its unreasonable or unfair. Where is the double standard, he says, personally, he FEELS its classless for people to boo. That is a statement of opinion. He didn't say people who boo are classless. Now when you tell him to get off his soapbox, you are basically preaching to him.

Old
03-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
[/I]

As I posted, you certainly have a right to give a different perspective. What you don't have a right to do is belittle another poster for their opinion. Feel free to argue...just don't belittle . I don't think its unreasonable or unfair. Where is the double standard, he says, personally, he FEELS its classless for people to boo. That is a statement of opinion. He didn't say people who boo are classless. Now when you tell him to get off his soapbox, you are basically preaching to him.
"As I posted, you certainly have a right to give a different perspective."
Amen and hallelujah!!!

"What you don't have a right to do is belittle another poster for their opinion."
Who was belittling his opinion? I think it's honorable that he refuses to boo win-lose-draw. What I did "belittle" is his OTHER opinion that fans who boo are classless and disgraceful. Isn't that a belittling comment? And that's where the double standard lies.

"Where is the double standard, he says, personally, he FEELS its classless for people to boo."
The double standard lies with YOU! You're slapping my hand for telling him to get off his high horse, accusing me of making belittling remarks, but 'agree 100%' with his belittling opinion that fans who boo are classless and disgraceful. It's okay to belittle, as long as the act of belittle is carried out in a manner in which you agree.

"He didn't say people who boo are classless."
Here's what he said: "To me it shows no class at all." Well what does that mean then? It shows no class when people boo. People who boo are without class.

"Now when you tell him to get off his soapbox, you are basically preaching to him."
Maybe in the fuzzy-headed world of the fanboy, but not in the world of sane and realistic critical thought.

Last edited by Shadowtron: 03-14-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old
03-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Oh Ranger Guru!

Quote:
That's the answer...stop supporting the team. That's the way to get it done.

Not for nothing, but just becuase i'm a newbie, dosen't mean i'm not going to voice my opinion here...or try to bring something to the table... And from the looks at some of the responses, I can clearly see that some others here also share some of my views and opinions on the team. But whatever, since you graced my newbie post with a response from such a Ranger guru like yourself, maybe you can shed a little light on it, and let the new guy here understand what good can possibly come out of the Garden booing a the team in thier own building at a crucial point of the game?

Now on the team being poorly constructed, I don't agree. The main reason this team is on the outside looking in right now is a combination of poor goaltending early in the season, and injuries late in the season.

I actually liked the direction the club was headed. The wanted a more North American presence, they wanted to be more physical, and they wanted to add more scoring in the 2nd and 3rd lines. Enter Brendan Shannahan, Matt Cullen, and Aaron Ward. Considering they have to play under the cap space I thought they did a decent job of bringing in players that could help the club. Shanny totally helped to take the scoring load off of the first line. Ward started out great, but didn't show any of the moxy he did in the cup run with Carolina where he hit everything in sight. He didn't fit into the system for whatever reason, but it's not for lack of effort. The guy has three rings, and came as a fairly cheap date $2,800,000. I'd take that gamble anyday if I was Sather. For Cullen he has been hot and cold...much like he has his whole career. He tried to address the lack of a physical presence on the blueline via free agency, but it didn't happen. Boston was willing to totally overpay for Chara. Sather IMO did a decent job of constructing the team though. The response wasen't what they planned, but even with that once again the club is still very much in a position to make the 8th spot. As a fan and supporter i'm not willing to throw up my hands in ths air quit. Maybe that's your reaction, but to me i still support them, and I still think it shows no class in booing a team that is totally banged up with injuries and fighting for thier lives to stay alive.

Old
03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
"As I posted, you certainly have a right to give a different perspective."
Amen and hallelujah!!!

"What you don't have a right to do is belittle another poster for their opinion."
Who was belittling his opinion? I think it's honorable that he refuses to boo win-lose-draw. What I did "belittle" is his OTHER opinion that fans who boo are classless and disgraceful. Isn't that a belittling comment? And that's where the double standard lies.

"Where is the double standard, he says, personally, he FEELS its classless for people to boo."
The double standard lies with YOU! You're slapping my hand for telling him to get off his high horse, accusing me of making belittling remarks, but 'agree 100%' with his belittling opinion that fans who boo are classless and disgraceful. It's okay to belittle, as long as the act of belittle is carried out in a manner in which you agree.

"He didn't say people who boo are classless."
Here's what he said: "To me it shows no class at all." Well what does that mean then? It shows no class when people boo. People who boo are without class.

"Now when you tell him to get off his soapbox, you are basically preaching to him."
Maybe in the fuzzy-headed world of the fanboy, but not in the world of sane and realistic critical thought.
Once again... his OPINION is that booing is classless , where do I say I agree 100% with anything. Read the original post I made to his . I stated , I agree here somewhat......
take a look...its there in black and white.

Old
03-14-2007, 11:28 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
I have to agree here somewhat! I think all this second guessing and negativity however, has been brought on by the obvious frustration of winning in 94, and then becoming a laughing stock since then, having mortgaged away any youth in the system and constantly overpaying for players past performance! It has left a sour taste in alot of fans mouths, including my own. However, I see that this franchise has turned the corner, that moment started at the end of 04, when the trades all went down. It continues to this day with the fact that each season, we see upgrades in talent, along with an infusion of youth. Some folks say not enough youth is on the big club, but I happen to think that the patience the organization is showing, while annoying, will pay off in the next several years. Just take a quick look at Girardi, Tyutin,Hossa,Lundy,Hollweg,Orts...and now Dubi. All have one thing in common, they are young and weren't brought up in a rush and put in positions where mistakes would retard their development. Renney has exhibited one good trait no one can dispute....patience with players and their maturation/development at the NHL level. He believes in these kids..and as much as I want Dubi to play more...at this point, Renney knows that a mistake could turn this kids confidence the wrong way, hence the resticted minutes. I'm not totally sure he's right, but I can't argue with him either. He was smart enough to see Lundmark wasn't going to become anything, and to see what Hossa could become, so I think we all have to look at the glass as half full, and try to show some real support right now to this organization. This team is held together with smoke and mirrors right now thanks to all the injuries, and regardless of the mistakes, these players ARE TRYING, unlike some of the recent Ranger players who were playing for themselves and gave a half hearted effort on the ice. Last season was WONDERFULLY unpredictable, this season has been a reality check, but through them both, the effort has been there.
Here...I quoted myself to make it easier.

Old
03-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
A PPG player, crap...!?

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote