HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Samsonov consensus

Old
03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
I expect Samsonov to have a better season next year, especially since it will be the last year of his contract.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:06 AM
PeteLaframboise

Screw him, buy him out. The 2.3 M $ we'll get if we do is far more valuable than his weak ass play.

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:33 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineyIsGod View Post
Screw him, buy him out. The 2.3 M $ we'll get if we do is far more valuable than his weak ass play.
No. Sending him to Hamilton or Cincinnati is better since it would be $0 on the cap.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Reuben

As long as Sammy isn't taking minutes away from our youngsters that's fine. if they can trade him that would be ideal ,but i'm not sure that will be possible unless some gm out there has short term memory problems.

if we buy him out a certain % counts against the cap i'm not sure how much. it varies on how many years/games you've played in the NHL i think.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
After his repeated outbursts, placed on waivers, his laziness on the ice, Carbos impatience, and his general disrespect for his teammates and habs organisation...

He has played his last game. He is as good as gone at draft day.

Good riddance.
+1

For me, honestly, I hope I never see him in a Habs jersey again.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
GaineysRightHandMan

My opinion is to bench him the rest of the year. Time heals wounds and in the fall, bring him to training camp and let him try out for the 4th line. His play will have to dictate if he gets any more than 7 minutes per game. He will have to be given a talk (Carbo don't do this, maybe Muller can talk to him) to explain all this to him that his is only to get 7 minutes of playing time to start with andany more will have to be earned.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I think Youppi's costume is a bit too big for him, as well.
Haha...Nice post WTK

03-14-2007, 12:17 PM
JV

Kovalev, Samsonov and $1,000,000.00 to Washington for a 2009 2nd.

Actually, I like Samsonov. He's never failed to work hard, imo. I'd rather have him than Kovalev.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I expect Samsonov to have a better season next year, especially since it will be the last year of his contract.
I agree, we have nothing to lose by letting him start next season as a Hab. If after a short period of time we still don't want him here, then cut him loose.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:25 PM
skoivu

I dont think he was given a fair chance by the coaching staff and has been treated terribly by the fans. He had a slow start and people turned on him right away just like we do with everybody that plays for the habs. I think every month there has been a new trade proposal to get rid of a different player saying hes done, hes deadweight, hes useless then the same month therell be a appreciation thread about the same player. Its hard for a player to turn around a rough start with everybody talking him down. I say give him another chance next season and this season. Try to find the rigth linemates for him, there is a reason we signed him for the amount we did. He has alot to offer, so let him do his thing, leave him alone and LET HIM PLAY

skoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
No way. He has earned the most ruthless response possible. He's a soft peripheral player to begin with, and even if he was playing well and not causing trouble we'd *still* need to free up his salary to improve our team. But given that he's also playing poorly, whining incessantly, clearly doesn't want to be on the team and hence serves as an ongoing distraction and cancer... well...

...what started out as a "let's see if we can trade him for a 7th round pick" or "let's be classy and buy him out, despite the $1.175M cap hit" has rather become a clear instance of a case where it would not be too draconian to McGillisize him. Duck the cap hit entirely, send him to Hamilton, suspend him when he fails to report, and wish him all the best in the RSL next season. Terminate with extreme prejudice, I say.
For the record I feel the same, but Gainey being Gainey and all, this ain't happening. I'll call a trade (one problem for an other kind of swap) or buy-out.

I no longer care to tell the truth, the only thing that could make me mad at this point is Kostitsyn getting the shaft in order to reinsert this dead weight once more in the lineup. But I don't see it happening.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoivu View Post
I dont think he was given a fair chance by the coaching staff and has been treated terribly by the fans. He had a slow start and people turned on him right away just like we do with everybody that plays for the habs. I think every month there has been a new trade proposal to get rid of a different player saying hes done, hes deadweight, hes useless then the same month therell be a appreciation thread about the same player. Its hard for a player to turn around a rough start with everybody talking him down. I say give him another chance next season and this season. Try to find the rigth linemates for him, there is a reason we signed him for the amount we did. He has alot to offer, so let him do his thing, leave him alone and LET HIM PLAY
I don't agree, the coaching staff has given him plenty of oppurtunity for success, especially early in the season. the fans have been quite good to sammy IMO they haven't really even booed the guy yet, so i really don't see how the fans are being unfair. Sammy's on ice play is his responsibily not the fans or the coaching staff's.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
If he could fit under the cap he could play on the third line giving the Habs great depth. If the Habs are taking a cap hit might as well keep him.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
If we can't deal him, there's no harm in giving him a chance at training camp. If he reports in better shape and works hard, I wouldn't be against having him around. If he flounders, put him on waivers or buy him out.
I don't really agree. I think Samsonov has shown throughout the season what kind of individual he is and one thing that is for certain is he's no team player. Ribeiro was shipped out for less than that. So were Bulis and Zednik. Samsonov is history in Montreal. He doesn't deserve a second chance and hopefully for the good of this team, won't get it either. He'd only be a distraction at training camp.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

This guy should never wear the Habs jersey again, not even in practice. Whatever he does on the ice doesnt matter.

Just tell things like Samsonov said at work and see how long you'll last. Unless you're the next coming of God or something, your boss will show you the door pretty quickly...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
given the fact he'll have only one year remaining to his contract, I think at least one team might be willing to take a risk and acquire him via trade in exchange of I-don't-care-what.
Not until the Habs pay 85% of his salary and we get to the deadline. At that point, if he rebounds to have a good year, we might be able to get half the package Phoenix got for Nagy. There's two main assumptions there:

a) that we don't buy him out and take the 1+ M cap hit

b) that nobody claims him on re-entry waivers if we leave him in the minors all year (or, god forbid, he stays with the big boys all year)

Personally, I'm of two minds about the whole situation. We McGillisize him (wonderful expression btw, who came up with it?) and we can kiss away any chance of signing second tier free agents (though chances are already pretty low). But then again, that 2 M cap hit might be the difference in bringing back Souray or getting a true first line centre if we let Souray go.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
For the record I feel the same, but Gainey being Gainey and all, this ain't happening. I'll call a trade (one problem for an other kind of swap) or buy-out.
Sadly, agreed. Still, I think the Bulis and Zednik track records at least give us very good reason to hope that at least those less-than-draconian measures will indeed be put in place. Those who are suggesting he might be back or might have a second (third? fourth?) chance in camp next year... well, that would surprise me just as much as Gainey being nasty and McGillisizing him. He's done, it's just a matter of finding out the means of his disposal.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Would you guys like to see him back next year, provided he even wants to come back?

Personally I would.

Nope....he burned too many bridges here in Montreal to get another shot!!!!

If he would have kept his big mouth shut and stopped sulking about the coaches decisions and just concentrated on playing harder and playing smarter, then sure I would give him a chance....but not after he said the things he has said and not accepting any of the blame himself.

Besides...where are we going to put him?

I think it would be VERY STUPID to break up the top 2 lines that we had last night. Latendresse, Koivu and Ryder played awesome together and so did Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn. I think to break those 2 lines up would be a huge mistake....that was the first sign or chemistry I seen all year with any of the 4 lines.

Put Bonk in the lineup instead of Murray and when Kovalev is better, put him in the lineup instead of Bouillion and use these lines.....

Lats - Koivu - Ryder
Higgins - Pleks - Kost
Kovy - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Lapierre - Dandenault

Souray - Streit
Markov - Komisarek
Gorges - Niinimaa

.....I think we would be able to continue the teams great play in the last 2 games and maybe go on a winning streak just before the playoffs if we keeps these lines and playing with the effort that was put forth last night.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I agree, we have nothing to lose by letting him start next season as a Hab. If after a short period of time we still don't want him here, then cut him loose.

I don't see what we have to gain by keeping him. He has made it quite clear 2 or 3 times this season that he doesn't want to play in Montreal, so ship him out.

If we let him play next year and he plays the same and continues to blab about whats going on in Montreal and how the coach is blaming everything on him....we'll never be able to move him...no team will want him and it will just continue to be a team distraction.

I say trade him this summer for whatever we can get, or put him in the minors next year so his salary doesn't count against the cap. That would look good on him to be shipped to the minors, after displaying such disrespect for this team!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I'd rather play with a shorter roster (heh, see what I did there?) than allow Sergei Samsonov to play for the Canadiens again.

As far as I'm concerned he should be behind every single player we have in the AHL or ECHL on our depth chart. You wish you didn't have to wear the CH? Good, you don't have to. Get the **** out.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:42 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Samsonov will be back for a variety of reasons, however I wouldn't be shocked if he was bought out.

03-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I don't see what we have to gain by keeping him. He has made it quite clear 2 or 3 times this season that he doesn't want to play in Montreal, so ship him out.

If we let him play next year and he plays the same and continues to blab about whats going on in Montreal and how the coach is blaming everything on him....we'll never be able to move him...no team will want him and it will just continue to be a team distraction.

I say trade him this summer for whatever we can get, or put him in the minors next year so his salary doesn't count against the cap. That would look good on him to be shipped to the minors, after displaying such disrespect for this team!!!!
I totally see your point Puckhead58, here's my reason for wanting to keep him.

Right now his value is worth nothing....absolutely nothing. We could not give him away if we tried. My thinking is we sit him out for the rest of the year, don't send him anywhere...only the pressbox.

Next year we bring him to training camp, this is his UFA year so he's going to bust his ass to make the team. IMO he will put out the effort and he will make the team. Now GM's on other teams will start to notice him, maybe even think to themselves that Samsonov is back to his old ways.

Trust me...I don't want him on the Habs anymore then you do. But I don't want the Habs screwing themselves either by buying him out. My way, they have a better chance of getting something back for Samsonov. Plus if it still doesn't work, send him to Hamilton. See....nothing to lose

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
woah! your back.... greetings

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:37 PM
mad_hab'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Duck the cap hit entirely, send him to Hamilton, suspend him when he fails to report, and wish him all the best in the RSL next season. Terminate with extreme prejudice, I say.
agreed.

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Yeah yesterday I guess he said he did not mean what he said and was asked where he WANTS to play next year and he said Montreal.
It doesn't make sens after how we treated him this year

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote