HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Esa Tikkanen Returning To Rangers??

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Why should they quit? Give a good reason, other than the fact that they are too old for your liking.

Messier is outscoring half the guys in the league in their 20s,

Yeah but... but... but... he's... he's old!

Old
02-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
a HOF'er playing until he's 40+ at a sub-par level tends to make a lot of people upset, wishing he quit while he was on top.
People can wish it all they want. I don't mind seeing stars decline and become lunchpail grinders one bit. I won't forget what they were like when they were hot dogs, and it says a lot about their work ethic and love of the NHL lifestyle.

Old
02-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Had him in NYR, had him here in Vancouver.

Seriously, I love Esa Tikkanen. I model my play after him in floor hockey! (the occasional borderline plays, massive trashtalking nobody understands.)
Actually, Tikkanen only played 38 games for the Canucks in the 1995-1996 season, whereas Keenan didn't become coach until the 1997-1998 season.

Old
02-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oylerz
And I think it's so sad when fans feel they know when a player should retire...

I'm quite frankly getting pretty sick of this kind of thinking. If these guys couldn't play then they wouldn't. If they want to play, and they find a spot on a team where they can contribute why not let them? Put yourself in their shoes for a minute... seriously, if you wanted to play at that elite level and you still could would you retire just because some fan thinks you should?
Not trying to get off topic but what is your thoughts on Eric Lindros?

Old
02-11-2004, 10:26 PM
McOylerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Eric should do what is best for Eric. If a doctor tells him he is risking his life or at least his quality of life by playing (moreso than any other player) then he has a serious decision to make. However,I wouldn't presume to know more about how he feels than he does and therefore would not presume to make a decision on whether or not he should play.

I guess that is similar to my opinion on "old guys" if they want to play until they can't play any more I will not think any less of them than I would if they retired while they were on top. In fact I would argue that those players who continue on until they just can't anymore are the ones most likely to be content in retirement. The players who "go out on top" will always wonder if they could have won just once more. Going out on top is nice and it leaves a nice memory for the casual fan, but a true fan knows that a guy like Messier is one of the greatest ever and he treasures the opportunity to see him play. If a guy is old and is playing on a team in place of another player who is clearly better then the Coach and GM are the ones who should be blamed for not icing the best team that they can. In the case of Andreychuk and Messier I don't agree that that is the case. Both of these guys are making valuable contributions to their teams.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:36 PM
McOylerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
its the fact that the last memories fans will have of legends like messier and others wont be good ones. Going out on top as a future HOF'er and a legand of there time is always awesome, but a HOF'er playing until he's 40+ at a sub-par level tends to make a lot of people upset, wishing he quit while he was on top.
I think that is flawed logic. Sure the 'casual' fan may see it like that but for anyone who knows and follows the game they realize that what guys like Messier have accomplished puts them in the upper echelon of all time greats. Fans who know and can appreciate this enjoy the opportunity to watch their heroes play 'just one more game' because they know that the opportunities to see a great player in action are rare.

I watched the Heritage Classic recently not because I thought it would be a fast, exciting, high-octane game, I watched because I knew that was a rare opportunity to see some of the greatest ever in action. No they didn't all still "have it" but who cares? Would I rather thumb through a photo album or see someone alive and in action? I'll take the latter every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

EDIT: What basis are you using for calling these guys game 'sub-par'? Thier own history? or the level of play in the NHL? Because if they were below the level it takes to play in the NHL I guarantee they would not be playing. Exhibit A: Kirk Muller Exhibit B: Adam Graves. Both of these guys still wanted to play for sure but no one signed them, why? Because NHL GM's and Coaches try in thier minds to ice the best team around. If Messier and Andreychuk couldn't play at a NHL level they wouldn't be playing.

Last edited by McOylerz: 02-11-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Closed Thread