HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev's vertigo may be career threatning...

Old
03-14-2007, 01:06 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

vCash: 500
Ouch. Poor Kovalev.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Guillemin

Vertigo is so mis-diagnosed it's not even funny. Everyone gets some amount of vertigo when they stand up too quickly.

Take note that this is coming from Kovalev, not from a team doctor. The same guy who, when tapped by an opponent in the playoffs, suffered an instantaneous career ending injury, which was then healed minutes later after it cost the Habs their playoff run. The same guy who takes several practices off a year cause he "feels wrong" or is "sore".

Bring out the sad faces if the guy retires for real. For now, I'm content with my not-so-quiet skepticism.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:08 PM
RC51

If Kovalev does have vertigo then it's bad. Yes could be career ending and a true hardship for him.

If Kovalev is looking for a soft landing after a bad NHL year claiming vertigo is as good an excuse as any.

If Gainey is looking for a Lou Lamorello way to get out of the Kovalev contract this works very well.

Will we ever know the truth?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Speaking of the goal song and without trying to be to insensitive...say Kovalev did retire from vertigo. Do you think they would change the goal song?
Good point to bring up, never thought about it. I would but only because it's a good excuse to get rid of that ****ing song.

03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Turbo

damn... wouldn't wish this on anyone. pretty nasty stuff.

good news is he's skating at all. hopefully it was minor and will pass promptly.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Vertigo is so mis-diagnosed it's not even funny. Everyone gets some amount of vertigo when they stand up too quickly.

Take note that this is coming from Kovalev, not from a team doctor. The same guy who, when tapped by an opponent in the playoffs, suffered an instantaneous career ending injury, which was then healed minutes later after it cost the Habs their playoff run. The same guy who takes several practices off a year cause he "feels wrong" or is "sore".

Bring out the sad faces if the guy retires for real. For now, I'm content with my not-so-quiet skepticism.
Just to point out that we actually went on to win that playoff series that Kovalev "cost us" based mostly on the strength of his play (along with Koivu and Zednik)

everything else you said makes sense though

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Doc Hock

Everyone slow down for a minute and think about this. Kovy gets whacked by the media, has the flu, has a bad elbow, now has vertigo but is out there skating!!!!!!!

Perhaps he is toying with the media and leading them down the garden path not unlike a fmous post on these boards a couple of weeks ago that was intended to snare Eklund

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
If Kovalev does have vertigo then it's bad. Yes could be career ending and a true hardship for him.

If Kovalev is looking for a soft landing after a bad NHL year claiming vertigo is as good an excuse as any.

If Gainey is looking for a Lou Lamorello way to get out of the Kovalev contract this works very well.

Will we ever know the truth?
The truth is out there.

cue conspiracy theories and x-files theme.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Since Kovalev met with doctors yesterday, there is a pretty good chance that this information was told to him. I don't think he woke up in the morning, and decided to announce that he had Vertigo.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
IT's what you get when you do a poorly-timed interview in a Russian magazine, and then have to spin like crazy to control the damage after it leaks to the habarazzi hordes. And yes, it is career-threatening.
I u

You make me complete.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:

At least get your facts straight, The Habs beat the bruins the year Kovalev "faked" the injury.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hock View Post
Everyone slow down for a minute and think about this. Kovy gets whacked by the media, has the flu, has a bad elbow, now has vertigo but is out there skating!!!!!!!

Perhaps he is toying with the media and leading them down the garden path not unlike a fmous post on these boards a couple of weeks ago that was intended to snare Eklund

doc hock
Very good theory, but I highly doubt it.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Just to point out that we actually went on to win that playoff series that Kovalev "cost us" based mostly on the strength of his play (along with Koivu and Zednik)

everything else you said makes sense though
Was that against Boston? Damn.... I can never keep track any more. You'd think I'd keep straight the 2 playoff series we've won in the last half dozen years, but I guess not.

And it's not fair to say we won a series based on the strength of play from a forward. The Habs are way too terrible defensively, and put way too much on the goalie, to not give at least half the credit of everything they do to the netminder.

Old
03-14-2007, 01:18 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
I u

You make me complete.

Fixed

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Le depisteur

According to RDS, Kovalev want to play this week-end...

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/225325.html

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mathletic

Quote:

glad to meet you Michel Bergeron

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fido22

RDS is saying that Kovy practiced today and may play this weekend, despite feeling dizzy. TSN saying it might be career ending.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/225325.html

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Since Kovalev met with doctors yesterday, there is a pretty good chance that this information was told to him. I don't think he woke up in the morning, and decided to announce that he had Vertigo.
How can you possibly diagnose that vertigo may be career ending. The symptoms are mostly self-diagnosed.

"How are you feeling, Mr. Kovalev"

"Well, every time I move my head quickly from side to side to avoid being totally drained of blood by the vampirish media and fanbase here in MTL, I get dizzy."

"Yeah? You have vertigo."

And yo be frank, he decided to wake up a week and a half ago and tell a Russian newspaper that Carbo is a bad coach and favours Frenchies over Russians. You never know with that guy.

Old
03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
tmc

Quote:
Was that against Boston? Damn.... I can never keep track any more. You'd think I'd keep straight the 2 playoff series we've won in the last half dozen years, but I guess not.

And it's not fair to say we won a series based on the strength of play from a forward. The Habs are way too terrible defensively, and put way too much on the goalie, to not give at least half the credit of everything they do to the netminder.
théo sucked that series did you even watch it??

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
glad to meet you Michel Bergeron
Does that mean I'm famous?

.... I knew I was.

Old
03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Shabutie

Hahahahaha, I guess I'm the only one who likes this possibility

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
théo sucked that series did you even watch it??
Probably. The only thing that'll live in my memory is him faking an injury and giving up the winning goal. That stuff is way harder to forgive than bad goaltending.

I remember some timely goals and all, but certainly not the kind of dominance Richards displayed with Tampa during their run. Now, that kind of performance can "carry" a team.

Old
03-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Guy Caballero

Unfair, since Kovalev has done his best to avoid anything related to Vertigo this year.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's not vertigo. It's a combination of lightheadedness and dizziness due to the lack of blood (and subsequently oxygen) in your brain when you stand up quickly. Vertigo is an entirely different disorder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_%28medical%29

I too am skeptical, though. I'm still waiting for any doctor's report to verify that anything is wrong with Kovalev this season.

03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Namso

Quote:

kovalev was more dominating in that series than any forward we've had in the past decade+

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote