HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Senior Citizens Bank Park

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
And Anthony Gose. He may not reach his ceiling, but still a valuable asset. Villar if he figures it out could be Jean Segura like. Nice power and speed combo. Good glove.

The worst move was the Pence debacle. He gave up a ton and then comes right back the next year and flips him for a sub par package. In what world is Domingo Santana a player to be named later? Ridiculous. I still can't get over that. Out of that trade they could potentially get a middle rotation starter, a starting 1B, a bullpen piece, and possibly and power hitting corner outfielder.

In other news JP Crwaford looks like a good one and they will have the #7 pick next month.

gose is a fringe 4th outfielder with litearlly no bat. Nothing he has done would make one thing he can be a mlb regular. As for villar the comparison to segura is hilarious. the only reason he is in the mlb is because he plays a quad a club in the astros.

Old
05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
IceHot

vCash: 500
You Know Signing Japan's Pitchers Has Gotten Out Of hand when

You know stealing away Japanese pitchers has gone to far when Tryouts are made for the latest Phenom Son Of Godzilla;
OK how quickly will the Yanks act to sign this one?
http://media.utsandiego.com/img/phot...9efbd88a38372c

Old
05-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
You know stealing away Japanese pitchers has gone to far when Tryouts are made for the latest Phenom Son Of Godzilla;
OK how quickly will the Yanks act to sign this one?
http://media.utsandiego.com/img/phot...9efbd88a38372c

i was expecting to see hideki matsui's son or something.

Old
05-08-2014, 02:59 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
i was expecting to see hideki matsui's son or something.
Haha so was I.

05-08-2014, 03:57 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
gose is a fringe 4th outfielder with litearlly no bat. Nothing he has done would make one thing he can be a mlb regular. As for villar the comparison to segura is hilarious. the only reason he is in the mlb is because he plays a quad a club in the astros.
You're on a roll today. What the hell does that even mean? I said he would be a "valuable asset" not the next coming. It easy to look now and say he sucks, but the year after he was traded he hit 16 HRs and stole 70 bases in AA and was a top 50 prospect in baseball. He could have gotten you a better player. I said he may never reach his ceiling (good possibility), but he still gets on base (?!?!?!?), can fly, and has a bazooka for an arm, and he's only 23. As bad as he seems, we do employ a guy who has a 1.6% walk rate (that is ****ing hard to do), a .034 iso, can't read a ball off the bat, and can't reach the pitchers mound from shallow center field.

You act like I compared Villar to Troy Tulowitzki. I said "Jean Segura like". You know like he plays a similar game. They both have strong lower halves that allow them to hit for some power despite their frames. Both can fly. Segura stole 44 bases last year. Villar is on pace for 40 himself. 5 HRs already (Segura hit 12 last year). That would be second best on the Phillies. .260 iso would be best on the team by far. He's a very talented player. Do you know how hard it is to find a SS that has power, can run, and has the tools to play the position? He may never win any batting titles, but if the light goes on all the way, it will get ugly around here.

Old
05-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
in 2008 we had just won the ws, and had a top 5 farm system.

in 2009, raj made a great move by getting lee and trading away carrasco, knapp, donald, and marson... all those guys were in our top 10 but only 1 blue chip guy in knapp. None of those guys amounted to anything and we won that trade bigtime. we lost in 2009 because of cole hamels. If he was his usual self we wouldve gone back to back but he sucked that whole year. also lidge sucked.

in 2010 we did the lee and halladay swap. Huge mistake. Not because halladay wasn't great but he wasn't that much better than lee and we lost out on D'narud , drabek, and michael taylor, and got aumont jc ramierez and gilles out of lee. Of those 6 prospects the only one that has amounted to anything is D'anaurd.

Ruben also signed ibanez in 2010 which was an awesome signing for a while but eventually he slowed down. We lost to the giants in 2010 and in all honest it was the flukiest series of all time, so many weird plays like a ibanez hit off the wall that is a double in any other park but it bounced right to the outfielder that held him up at first.

2011, the team was getting older and he gave up a ransom for hunter pence at the trade deadline which was the right move because that looked to be the teams last year that they had a chance to win it alll. Singelton, cosart, santana were all dealt and considered all blue chippers. none have been impactful.

we also gave up ja happ and villar for oswalt but i forget which year.

Of all those prospect we traded none have amounted to anything with michael taylor and drabek being huge disappointments.

Looking back raj made the right decision every time . There is literally nothing more he could've done. The onlyl prospects that might come back to haunt us is singelton and d'naruad.

It's not only about prospects. How about all the dumb contracts/extensions he handled out. His inability to assemble an average bullpen. His infatuation with starting neglecting the offense in free agency. His refusal to even look at Sabremetrics. Him not being able to bring in younger players. The farm system hasnt been very good under him either, quite terrible really. He may be the worst GM in the history of sports.

05-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Jtown

i remember all the villar vs. galvis debate. Galvis had an mlb ready glove and villar had the frame to hit with power. Galvis had done well in 33 games i doubt he is ops 800 for a while. What is more likely to happen that slg pct to come down or that ops to come up?

And about gose. He always had 3 elite tools , glove arm and base running. He has never been able to hit and is at best a defensive replacement basestealer. so a 4th outfielder basically.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I He may be the worst GM in the history of sports.
I normally don't buy remarks like this, but Ruben has put together an excessively strong case for the title, certainly among the major sports.

05-08-2014, 05:22 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
i remember all the villar vs. galvis debate. Galvis had an mlb ready glove and villar had the frame to hit with power. Galvis had done well in 33 games i doubt he is ops 800 for a while. What is more likely to happen that slg pct to come down or that ops to come up?

And about gose. He always had 3 elite tools , glove arm and base running. He has never been able to hit and is at best a defensive replacement basestealer. so a 4th outfielder basically.
Villar still strikes out too much and although he has some power, you're right that his ISO is going to come down. That said, he just turned 23 last week, so he's young enough to expect some improvement. Seems like he has a pretty good chance to become a legit starting SS.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:

He's not going to have a .260 iso the rest of the year. I'm not advocating that. I'm not even going to say he's an all-star. The bar for offensive production for SS's is so low though. Only one SS had an OPS over .800 last year (Tulowitzki. He's on another planet). The average was ~.700.

Villar is going to hit for power (SS relative), steal bases, and walk at a decent clip. That's a valuable player. Once he cuts down on the errors, his WAR is going to spike. The defense tools are there though. Some of the plays he's made this year and incredible. Galvis is definitely more sure handed, but Villar's tools are better. He has a cannon, I still don't know if Galvis can go deep in the hole on his backhand like Villar can.

Also unlike Galvis who can't hit from either side of the plate, Villar is crushing the ball from both sides of the plate. Opposite field power too. Is he going to fall apart on both sides of the plate? I don't know. He's impressive. If he ever gets more consistent...

Again not arguing that Gose isn't a 4th OFer (even though we currently have one starting on our team). I'm talking strictly as an asset. He hit .286 as a 21 year old in AAA two seasons ago. Toronto wouldn't include him in the Dickey deal that offseason, so they still thought of him highly. Last year he sucked and the first month of this season hasn't been much better. He has the ability. The K-rate spiked again. There was an article a couple years ago that the Blue Jays were re-tooling his swing, one year at a time. They focused on developing his power stroke in 2011 and he hit 16 HRs. They may have messed with his head.

Meanwhile in AAA we have 1 major league position player and he's hitting .200.

Old
05-09-2014, 08:19 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I normally don't buy remarks like this, but Ruben has put together an excessively strong case for the title, certainly among the major sports.
He's terrible and I have a strong dislike for him, but he's not even the worst GM ever in his own sport. Currently, maybe. But Bill Bavasi was probably the worst GM in baseball that I've ever seen in my lifetime.

Check this out:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-bavasi-moves
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...molition-derby

Old
05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
He's terrible and I have a strong dislike for him, but he's not even the worst GM ever in his own sport. Currently, maybe. But Bill Bavasi was probably the worst GM in baseball that I've ever seen in my lifetime.

Check this out:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-bavasi-moves
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...molition-derby
He didnt take a World Series winner and turn them into a 90 loss team with in 6 years. Ruben has already done more destruction than him. Granted, that Bedard trade is worse than anything Ruben has ever pulled.

Old
05-09-2014, 08:48 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
He didnt take a World Series winner and turn them into a 90 loss team with in 6 years. Ruben has already done more destruction than him. Granted, that Bedard trade is worse than anything Ruben has ever pulled.
Eerily similar, Bavasi and Amaro both destroyed legitimate teams that Pat Gillick put together.

Old
05-10-2014, 10:38 PM
FlyersFan61290

A win tomorrow afternoon would complete the sweep and bring the team back to .500. Of course it doesn't seem likely considering the starting pitchers.

Old
05-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
A win tomorrow afternoon would complete the sweep and bring the team back to .500. Of course it doesn't seem likely considering the starting pitchers.
Cole Hamels vs Mets: 27 games (7-14 record), 4.65 ERA, 1.494 WHIP, 20 HR allowed
Rollins vs Niese: 43AB, .209/.261/.256 0 HR
Utley vs Niese: 25AB, .120/.241/.120 0 HR
Howard vs Niese 18AB, .111/.150/.111 0 HR
Brown vs Niese 6AB, .000/.000/.000 0 HR
Revere vs Niese 3AB, .000/.000/.000 (leaving HR totals off for Revere for obvious reasons)
Byrd vs Niese 8AB, .500/.556/.875 1 HR
Asche vs Niese No AB
Nieves vs Neise No AB (Ruiz will probably get day off)

So yeah, might be an uphill battle. But, anything's possible.... save us Marlon Byrd!

Old
05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Bastardo sucks.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
05-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Justified
Amaro out

dear lord. Hamels pitched great though.

Old
05-11-2014, 03:44 PM
flyersguy33*

lol here comes Carmona, I mean Hernandez.

did the entire bullpen just decide to say **** it, we aint available to pitch today?

Old
05-11-2014, 03:46 PM
flyersguy33*

Utley was there, just couldnt make the catch.

Younger Chase makes that play

Old
05-11-2014, 03:48 PM
flyersguy33*

and there goes Hamels' win

Old
05-11-2014, 03:56 PM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

I ****ing hate Domonic Brown. Other than 1 great month he has always been mediocre at best.

Old
05-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Waffles View Post
lol here comes Carmona, I mean Hernandez.

did the entire bullpen just decide to say **** it, we aint available to pitch today?
Everyone worth a damn has been pitching a decent amount last few games.

Good lord this team's pen is hot garbage.

Old
05-11-2014, 11:36 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

At this point, with how bad the pen is, just let starters throw relief innings on the side days that they are throwing anyway. How great would that be?

Old
05-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Jtown

papelbon has been great this year.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:39 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
papelbon has been great this year.
True. What good is a closer though if you can't even get a lead to him!

Closed Thread