HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Quebec media and Latendresse

Old
03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
IcemanTBI

vCash: 500
Quebec media and Latendresse

I have been watching 110% lately and other media in Quebec, and I have to laugh out loud by the way they praise Latendresse. I mean, he is a good player and all, but the way they talk about him makes him seem like he's the second coming of Christ! Last night on 110% they compared him to Ryan Smith!

Yeah, he's good. But seriously, the Quebec media need to open up their eyes and realize that Lats is not going to be the next Lafleur. At least, I don't think so.

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
He is young and the only way you end up like Smyth is if you are the HEART of the team and who interacts with every single person on a personal level. Personally i dont think he has that responsibility in him.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Yeah, Latendresse shouldn't get any media attention, people shouldn't have the right to like a hometown kid.

HOWEVER, Carey Price, he's the real deal, the next coming of Brodeur, Luongo and/or Roy... CTV and TSN and The Gazette have every right to be in admiration with him and talk about him constantly even if he's in Tri-City.

Huzzah, I'm a tool.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
Yeah, Latendresse shouldn't get any media attention, people shouldn't have the right to like a hometown kid.

HOWEVER, Carey Price, he's the real deal, the next coming of Brodeur, Luongo and/or Roy... CTV and TSN and The Gazette have every right to be in admiration with him and talk about him constantly even if he's in Tri-City.

Huzzah, I'm a tool.
Comparing Latendresse to Smyth?

Well I do believe that Latendresse is more skilled than Smyth, but I don't think he will ever be that good. Like someone else already said, he don't have the heart and soul to be a Smyth. On the other hand, he could be a force offensively and he could park himself on the PP and get a lot of goals.

But I agree, the media are overhyping him quite a bit.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
I have been watching 110% lately and other media in Quebec, and I have to laugh out loud by the way they praise Latendresse. I mean, he is a good player and all, but the way they talk about him makes him seem like he's the second coming of Christ! Last night on 110% they compared him to Ryan Smith!

Yeah, he's good. But seriously, the Quebec media need to open up their eyes and realize that Lats is not going to be the next Lafleur. At least, I don't think so.
Lats is way too young for anyone to be making any serious comparisons IMO.

03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
IcemanTBI

No, I'm not trying to stir up a french debate at all. All I am saying is they are expecting way too much from him. Look what all that hype did to Theo. All the hype, the big contract, went to his head. And now look at him.

Sure Lats played a good game. But so did Kosty, Pleks, Ryder, etc... They seem to deliver all their praise on one player, when they should be given credit to players where credit is due.

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Haddock

Quote:

I watched the same show last night and they said that Latendresse is one of the few Habs players who can, like Ryan Smyth, stand in front of the net and disturb the goalie. They also praised Kostitsyn and his pass to Higgins for about five full minutes playing the replay over and over again.

But yeah sure the whole Québec media is evil, dumb and bla bla bla. Whatever floats your boat.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:

Huzzah, I'm a tool.
At least you have the courage to admit it.

In all seriousness we really don't need to go over this again. Certain things should be pretty clear by now. 1) People will always cheer a little harder for the hometown boy, that's only natural 2) Latendresse has been severly overhyped by certain media outlets 3) There has been a backlash against this hype. In the end nothing really special has happened.

Big deal, people like the hometown boy. And yeah people got excited and overrated him but what are you going to do. Go to any team and they're overrating their hometown players.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:24 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I was listening to "les amateurs de sport" and they never said Kostitsyn played good yesterday... they only said that he was invisible since the beggining of the season. They don't want to give him credit and when it comes to latendresse he gets credit for EVERY SINGLE THING HE DOES.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
They don't want to give him credit and when it comes to latendresse he gets credit for EVERY SINGLE THING HE DOES.
It's a conspiracy.
The media, on purpose, puts down Kostitsyn in order to make Lats seem better.
Oh yes.

Old
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
tinyzombies

I'd like to see lats show a little more patience around the net like he did last night and shoot high.

I'd also like to see him scrap that goofy thing he did during the three stars selection.

Otherwise, I'm a fan.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Sumhabs

Quote:

They never compared Latendresse to Smyth, they said they have a similar style of play (Going in front of the net, scoring touch etc...) and if the Canadiens can develop him well, they said he could be good as Smyth. Its their opinion.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumhabs View Post
They never compared Latendresse to Smyth, they said they have a similar style of play (Going in front of the net, scoring touch etc...) and if the Canadiens can develop him well, they said he could be good as Smyth. Its their opinion.
Of course it's their opinion. They're not reporting the consensus among hockey experts....... duh.

Lats will be a good player, but will struggle to get top line ice time. He may not be a Ryan Smyth (certainly he won't lead by Smyth's example, not that I'm sure I'd want him to, leaving Edmonton over $200,000) but he has a good makeup and lots of upside.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I really don't understand this thread, because IMHO we've seen exactly the opposite. The Montreal media have been surprisingly low key about Latendresse all year long, specially if you consider how they dealt with other "high profile" french canadian players in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey had something to do with this. Maybe he spoke with some journalists at the begining of the season. "Don't hype Latendresse too much... let him some breathing room".

Latendresse has also been very mature for his first NHL season... he could have fall into the media hype trap but instead he stayed low profile and did his job.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
zx81

There we go with the favorite sport here: bashing 110%.

They are not always wrong. They said Lats COULD BECOME IN THE FUTURE a player like Ryan Smyth. They actually were praising Smyth a lot, saying he was the best player in the crease.

There was nothing wrong in this affirmation.

zx81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I really don't understand this thread, because IMHO we've seen exactly the opposite. The Montreal media have been surprisingly low key about Latendresse all year long, specially if you consider how they dealt with other "high profile" french canadian players in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey had something to do with this. Maybe he spoke with some journalists at the begining of the season. "Don't hype Latendresse too much... let him some breathing room".

Latendresse has also been very mature for his first NHL season... he could have fall into the media hype trap but instead he stayed low profile and did his job.
Exactly. Everyone I know has been careful not to build up hype on him. Give the kid a break, he's 19 years old. Any contribution from him is a bonus.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
mcphee

I'm really impressed by how Lats has taken his job seriously and not gotten caught up in any 'vedette' talk. He's a pretty impressive kid. When he hit the 'rookie wall', I thought that's be it for this year. Consider it a good learning experience and hope for more next year. Instead he's a key player. Good for him.

You have to admit that Pednault tries as hard as he can to praise the kid whenever possible, but really, I don't see anything wrong with that. If you bad mouth a player to build another one up, well, that's different, but I don't see any of that.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

Huzzah, I'm a tool.
Carey Price is the number 1 rated goalie prospect IN THE WORLD.

Latendresse couldn't even be consisdered a top 50 (maybe even top 100) prospect.

I like the guy, but imo his potential isn't much more than 30 goals (which is pretty good for a PF, he could score more if he learns to skate). He's not going to be a superstar.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Demogod*

Quote:

This is the issue.

The team has let Latendresse make his mistakes in the NHL as a 19 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL. Add to that the insane line changes and demotions the only argument that is left besides Latendresse’s nationality is that “His development would have been stunted in juniors”

Demogod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 06:57 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Carey Price ...

In case you didn't understand, I was just pointing out that the same people who hate whenever the French media talks about Lats love it when the English media talks about Carey Price... It wasn't a shot at Price, it was against the posters...

Last edited by La Grosse Tendresse: 03-14-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old
03-14-2007, 07:01 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogod View Post
This is the issue.

The team has let Latendresse make his mistakes in the NHL as a 19 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL. Add to that the insane line changes and demotions the only argument that is left besides Latendresse’s nationality is that “His development would have been stunted in juniors”
Garth Murray has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 23 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Janne Niinimaa has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 31 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Francis Bouillon has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 31 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Sergei Samsonov has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 28 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Alexander Perezhogin has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 23 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

At least Latendresse is learning a whole lot more than he would have had in Juniors and is improving.

Old
03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
habitue*

Quote:
No, I'm not trying to stir up a french debate at all. All I am saying is they are expecting way too much from him. Look what all that hype did to Theo. All the hype, the big contract, went to his head. And now look at him.

Sure Lats played a good game. But so did Kosty, Pleks, Ryder, etc... They seem to deliver all their praise on one player, when they should be given credit to players where credit is due.
Maybe you should take the plugs of of your ears and your hands off your eyes too.

Kosty has played ONE good game so far with the Habs and had been praised accordingly. Pleks is a favorite of all medias, including the french speaking ones. Ryder is praised when he is playing well. He is a vet now. Would you praise his -28 ?

So, get off Lats back for a while. He is 19. And he is doing way much better than expected by most on this board this year.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Demogod*

Quote:
Garth Murray has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 23 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Janne Niinimaa has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 31 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Francis Bouillon has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 31 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Sergei Samsonov has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 28 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

Alexander Perezhogin has been making mistakes in the NHL as a 23 year old (while sucking) while there were more skilled players who were biting at the bit in the AHL.

At least Latendresse is learning a whole lot more than he would have had in Juniors and is improving.
One game every 3 months on the first line. I'll give you that.

Demogod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Reuben

Lats has 15 goals averaging 12 minutes per game(one of the lowest per game on the team) of ice time and is top 30 in the NHL in hits.

probably has one of the best goals/icetime ratios in the league.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Lats has 15 goals averaging 12 minutes per game(one of the lowest per game on the team) of ice time and is top 30 in the NHL in hits.

probably has one of the best goals/icetime ratios in the league.
Not doing bad.

If he manages to score another 5 goals, he'll be the 3rd rookie in 3 years to score 20 goals.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote