HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XVII

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2014, 09:40 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Its called message sending. It worked fine when they had scrums at the end of game 4 and won game 5. Its setting the tone. The Flyers didn't set any tone except for in game 6.
Lol. These teams have played each other dozens of times with their current cores. Everyone knows what to expect by now. Sending a message is such a commentator cliché.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
What? How exactly do you want him to fight? For one, he's not a fighter.

But even then...is fighting really the #1 way to determine toughness? The dude is as tough as a hockey player gets. Fighting style be damned.
Then he shouldn't go around taking liberties on non-fighters/small players. He has a 104 career fights combined in the WHL, AHL, & NHL btw he's experienced regardless of his role now.

No but in the context we were talking about it was. He sucker punched Weaver because he knew he wouldn't do much about it & even he did Chara knew he had a clear advantage over him.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-12-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old
05-12-2014, 09:50 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
What? How exactly do you want him to fight? For one, he's not a fighter.

But even then...is fighting really the #1 way to determine toughness? The dude is as tough as a hockey player gets. Fighting style be damned.
Acting like a tough guy is different then toughness. The difference, at least in my mind, being the phrase "tough guy" is reserved for fighters and such. And that's what in question here.

I would like him to fight by actually throwing fists instead of turning it into a wrestling match. This is hockey not a street brawl. For a guy who always has the height and arm length advantage, I don't see why this is such a crazy concept.

Edit: watch the Neil/Chara fight from a couple yrs ago. Chara decided to actually fight instead of wrestle and with Neil giving up 8" and ~45lbs I'd expect more from a legit tough guy. He's not, that's all we're saying.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 05-12-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old
05-12-2014, 09:53 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
That's kinda my point. He'll drop the gloves but doesn't often throw 'me with legit heavyweights.
I agree with you there, but I would think even heavy weights would be worried about fighting him due to the ability to take them down so quickly. I can guys getting hurt more easily this way than in the fight.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:54 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Then he shouldn't go around taking liberties on non-fighters/small players. He has a 104 career fights combined in the WHL, AHL, & NHL btw he's experienced regardless of his role now.

No but in the context we were talking about it was. He sucker punched Weaver because he knew he wouldn't do much about it & even he did Chara knew he had a clear advantage over him.
Taking liberties? Sucker punch?

He got tripped and then gave shoves to Markov and Weaver. That was pretty tame and pretty standard stuff. I'd say Iginla and Lucic were a lot more unchained during that sequence.

Are you saying he's not allowed to shove guys who are smaller than him? I can think of thousands of times Pronger took similar shots at guys...

Old
05-12-2014, 09:55 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Quote:
Acting like a tough guy is different then toughness. The difference, at least in my mind, being the phrase "tough guy" is reserved for fighters and such. And that's what in question here.

I would like him to fight by actually throwing fists instead of turning it into a wrestling match. This is hockey not a street brawl. For a guy who always has the height and arm length advantage, I don't see why this is such a crazy concept.
At least he knows to stick to his strengths, right

Old
05-12-2014, 09:57 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

Still, though, nothing he did was "tough guy" in nature. He gave shoves to Markov and Weaver just like Simmonds or Grossmann or the Schenns or any player on our team does on a nightly basis. Pretty standard stuff.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:01 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Still, though, nothing he did was "tough guy" in nature. He gave shoves to Markov and Weaver just like Simmonds or Grossmann or the Schenns or any player on our team does on a nightly basis. Pretty standard stuff.
It was a generalized statement, at least that's how I took it.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:04 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
It was a generalized statement, at least that's how I took it.
Alright, still don't see him trying to be something he's not.

I mean, it's not like the guy couldn't be an enforcer if he wanted to be...

Old
05-12-2014, 10:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Taking liberties? Sucker punch?

He got tripped and then gave shoves to Markov and Weaver. That was pretty tame and pretty standard stuff. I'd say Iginla and Lucic were a lot more unchained during that sequence.

Are you saying he's not allowed to shove guys who are smaller than him? I can think of thousands of times Pronger took similar shots at guys...
Especially as the Bruins were on a PP.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:10 PM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Hank gets fined $5k for squirting water but nothing for Crosby spearing or slew footing.......
Well he got a "timeout" from daddy Mario.....

Quote:
According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune, Mario Lemieux, former captain and part owner of the Penguins, sat down with Crosby in the locker room following Game 5 to discuss his performance.

"You can't behave the way you did at the end of the game," Lemieux said, according to Rossi. "It gives off a bad vibe to your teammates; it gives off a vibe that might be portraying you in a negative light, especially when you're struggling."

Finally Lemieux told him, "Star players just have to fight through things like this."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=451993

Old
05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
hockeyfreak7

Crosby was asked about getting involved in the extracurricular crap, and his response just highlights how stupid he is as a person:

"It doesn't feel any different than any other series. We're only talking about it now because we've lost the last two games. If we would've won them, we wouldn't be talking about it."

Uh, no, Sid, you would've probably won them if you gave them nothing to talk about.

It's amazing how he hasn't realized (or Bylsma/Shero/Lemieux, for that matter) how much worse he is when he's running around between whistles.

Love it.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
He's not?
He's a tall lanky guy who skates like a new born baby deer learning to walk. He has horrible balance and he really can't fight. Just wrestles people down to the ground. People act like the guy is Pronger.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:54 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
He's a tall lanky guy who skates like a new born baby deer learning to walk. He has horrible balance and he really can't fight. Just wrestles people down to the ground. People act like the guy is Pronger.
He's not Pronger, but he's a top five defender and a ***** to play against. I totally get not liking him, but I'm just confused where all this is coming from. He's a pretty damn good player.

Also "lanky" is not the adjective I'd use. "Lean" is probably better. The guy is shredded and easily one of the strongest in the league. And Pronger was a pretty ****** skater in terms of technique. All these criticisms are pretty superficial...

Old
05-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Chara doesn't have the defensive vision I would like to see in a top dman. His sheer size and reach make up for a lot of it, but it's not difficult to outsmart the guy or catch him unaware. Switch his brain with Timonen's and I think he would be pretty ineffective.

05-12-2014, 11:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Chara doesn't have the defensive vision I would like to see in a top dman. His sheer size and reach make up for a lot of it, but it's not difficult to outsmart the guy or catch him unaware. Switch his brain with Timonen's and I think he would be pretty ineffective.
Chara's body with Kimmo's brain would be the best defenseman ever.

05-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Not going to deny the Bruins have a tough team but lets not act like they do not dive. they do there fair share of it. Everyone does. even the Flyers.
This for me is all about not liking Boston. I don't like Montreal either, but like I said I have to listen to their fans every day on a daily basis. if I didn't live around here I would probably feel the same way.
its a definite anti Boston thing.
I don't have a problem with LA. Its that Monarchs connection. nothing more.
I think if the Ducks win tomorrow night they win the next 2. Just a feeling.
the other 3 series all will probably go 7 games.
Well done. Minnesota needs to win the next game to make it perfect.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:22 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
things I heard from Bruins fans after the game at work.

"I don't get how the Bruins cant score on Price. hes not that good"

"The NHL are rigging these series to get to 7 games"

"Bruins should of swept this series. Montreal isn't that good"

"Its a joke Thornton got fined for that water spray on Subban"'

and people wonder why I feel the way I do.

Old
05-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Legion of Gloom
The Holy Ghost

vCash: 116221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
lol.
Hank is a ******

Old
05-13-2014, 07:30 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Well he got a "timeout" from daddy Mario.....
There are a few gems in that story...

Quote:
He was involved in multiple altercations with the Rangers, including appearing to slew foot defenceman Dan Girardi and attempting to spear forward Dominic Moore at the end of the second period.
So he attempted and appeared to do really bad things? Ok TSN, he's a pretty little angel.

Quote:
Crosby is heeding the advice from Lemieux.
By acting like a complete tool for the entire game? Good job Mario, he's really listening. What a ****ing loser. I can't wait until they lose tonight.

They just need to start on him from the opening faceoff and they have no chance. He'll start his antics and the team will follow right along while Bylsma does nothing and watches his job slip away. What that ***** needs is a coach that will have the balls to sit him down a few shifts once he starts his antics and loses focus. If we had him I would be furious after watching him repeat this nonsense over and over again. He's easily the most talented player in the world, but he's not the best overall or brightest because of how he repeatedly brings his team down as captain.

Last edited by healthyscratch: 05-13-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old
05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
SAINDON

Not sure if it can happen, but I think it would be great to see a Montreal Rangers Conference final.

Pens and Bruins crashing out would be fantastic. Here's to a great set of game 7's.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:53 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
I wonder if some of youse watch hockey other than the Flyers
Chara is one of the best of this generation
he's averaging close to 50 points per season during his time with Boston, won a Norris, lead the league in +/-, and is a physical force
he is a fantastic hockey player

Old
05-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
he's averaging close to 50 points per season during his time with Boston, won a Norris, lead the league in +/-, and is a physical force
agreed. Chara is one of the most dominate dmen in the league and has been for sometime. He should have atleast 2more norris trophies as well.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:22 AM
healthyscratch

Not a fan of his but this is a nice quote:

Rosen: P.K. Subban on Game 7: "I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
8:17am - 13 May 14

Old
05-13-2014, 09:31 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
That's fantastic!

I was going to be lazy and ask how Ottawa let him get away but I googled instead and found an interesting article on the topic. What could've been for the Sens and the real person to blame for no trade clauses.

Quote:
Why Zdeno Chara Left Ottawa?
Senators Flashback: July 1st 2006.

Zdeno Chara officially leaves Ottawa and signs with Boston. A future Norris trophy winner, gone with no compensation. The Sens had tried to negotiate with Chara but he and his agent were being inexplicably difficult.

In February 2006, former GM John Muckler asked his agent what it would take to get an extension done. His agent basically said, make us an offer. We'll see how it stacks up with the rest. Wade Redden offered him $500,000 per season to stay, to keep the team together.

Chara didn't have much of a playoff earlier that year, nursing a hand injury. So keeping Redden over Chara wasn't as outrageous as it seems now. But now we may have an explanation as to why Chara, who seemed to really like Ottawa, had such little interest in signing here.

Chara is tight with teammate Marion Hossa, a fellow Slovak. Apparently, according to a source quoted in Wayne Scanlan's column in today's Ottawa Citizen, Chara was livid that Muckler had taken his friend out at the knees a year earlier. Hossa had signed a big new contract with the Sens, assuming that Ottawa was where he would be for the next three years. But the next day, Muckler shipped him off to Atlanta for Dany Heatley. That led to every half decent player in the league demanding no trade clauses in their contract. As a result, according to the source, an angry Chara vowed not to re-sign with Ottawa.

So, had Muckler not made that deal, Hossa might still be here, we wouldn't have had any of the Heatley nonsense and Chara might have re-signed here. Oh, what might have been. Uh, don't worry, Milan Michalek...no pressure.
http://tgornation.blogspot.com/2011/...ttawa.html?m=1

Closed Thread