HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers call up Callahan and Liffiton

Old
03-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Might as well see what the kid has...though you know he'll only get about 6 minutes of playing time first game out of the box.
It's not his first game.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:12 PM
dank

and Chris Holt has been moved to the 'Pack with Westlund moving down back to the Checkers..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:16 PM
TheRedressor

All Hail The Fort!!!!!!!

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
The call for the young and inexperienced to be allowed to jump right into the lion's den and get the opportunity to learn on the job is something that is of great benefit to those rookies and the future of the organization. I would equally love to see guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan get that opportunity.

However, let's look at it from a different perspective. Guys like Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Malik, and Cullen have been working their ***** off all season for the opportunity to play in the playoffs and compete for the Stanley Cup. When a regular goes down with an injury (i.e. Hossa, Tyutin, Shannahan, Rachunek, Straka) we scream for management to give the kids a chance. But what kind of respect does that show to our other regulars who still so badly want to make the playoffs. Some of you might argue that the kids are just as capable as the guys who go down, but thats simply not true. The regulars do NOT want to sit on the bench during meaningful moments at the end of the season in such a close race for the last playoff spot, regardless of how important it is for the future of the organization. If anything they want to be double-shifted and take in more responsibility.
Indeed, there are two sides. But what carries the day to me is what player(s) and combination od players give you the best chance of winning and gaining points to make the POS..That's all that matters. Right now, I couldn't care less about giving Dubi, Cally,Dawes, etc..a chance to show us what they have and gain some expereince. That's not what this time of year (earlier maybe, but not now) is for if the team is fighting for a spot..

That being said, if the kid(s) provides the team with a better shot at winning, he needs to play..Like Dubi has...Personally, I also think one of Cally or Dawes could also provide that right now (due to injuries)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
wereback

Oh no...not again.....

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/press_20070314.php

Read why Hollweg sat out practice today.......better not be a repeat of Dec....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Indeed, there are two sides. But what carries the day to me is what player(s) and combination od players give you the best chance of winning and gaining points to make the POS..That's all that matters. Right now, I couldn't care less about giving Dubi, Cally,Dawes, etc..a chance to show us what they have and gain some expereince. That's not what this time of year (earlier maybe, but not now) is for if the team is fighting for a spot..

That being said, if the kid(s) provides the team with a better shot at winning, he needs to play..Like Dubi has...Personally, I also think one of Cally or Dawes could also provide that right now (due to injuries)
Agreed. But how do we find out if the kid is ready to contribute? It's a catch-22. Do we take time away from a regular during the game to find out? Or is practice enough to gauge the abilities of a call-up? I hope to hell that guys like Dubi, Cally, and Dawes can bring to the table what we need for the future and for now.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
WestsideNYR

I would not sit

Orr against Atlanta(Eric Boulton, Exelby), Pitt(Laraque), Philly(Fedoruk and Eager as we've already seen what can happen), Toronto and the liberties they take, Islanders even without Simon. Callahan if he plays meaningful minutes needs to be with creators, not Betts and Hollweg. The Cullen line has been the best over the last few weeks so bringing Orty down may alter the chemisty. We need health. And, for no one to take runs at our best players to make matters worse. We need Jagr, a healthy Straka, Hossa and Shanny back along with Orr for comfort and we'll be alright.

WestsideNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/press_20070314.php

Read why Hollweg sat out practice today.......better not be a repeat of Dec....
Oh god. That Flu.......

Not sure why this is in the Liffiton/Callahan thread tho...

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
and Chris Holt has been moved to the 'Pack with Westlund moving down back to the Checkers..
Holt has been effing terrible in charlotte...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
Agreed. But how do we find out if the kid is ready to contribute? It's a catch-22. Do we take time away from a regular during the game to find out? Or is practice enough to gauge the abilities of a call-up? I hope to hell that guys like Dubi, Cally, and Dawes can bring to the table what we need for the future and for now.
If the team doesn't have a good reading on what the kid can contribute this late in the season, then they have been asleep at the job....IMO, you do not play a kid now to "find out" or "see what he can do"..But you do play him if you like what you have seen in Hartford all year and think he can help NOW...Or, in tha case of injuries, if you have no other choice!

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
DontStaal

wow, we are a really hurt team....

... but i don't mind it

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
FLYLine24*

Maybe Renney finally noticed that Isbister is pretty useless? At least IMO. He had that 1-2 good games and has gotten worse each game. He goes to the net but does nothing, he battles against the boards but usally does nothing again and most of the time he gives it away or loses it. I see now why he should have stayed in the AHL.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Maybe Renney finally noticed that Isbister is pretty useless? At least IMO. He had that 1-2 good games and has gotten worse each game. He goes to the net but does nothing, he battles against the boards but usally does nothing again and most of the time he gives it away or loses it. I see now why he should have stayed in the AHL.

Isbister is from Edmonton, he will play

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Agree.

Old
03-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Balej20*

UPDATE: The Rangers have recalled Ryan Callahan from Hartford. He is expected to practice with the team Thursday and play in Atlanta Friday.

-Blueshirt Bulletin

So this isn't just a Dawes "Just In Case" call up.

Old
03-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I know how Calahan plays but I know nothing about Liffiton. Apparantly he's pretty tough stay at home d-man? Real curious about this guy. Hope he provides a spark.
Liffiton is pretty tough, and can drop the gloves. He moves ok for a thick guy. I always thought he had some promise when we got him.

Though he have shown some bad tendencys in the AHL, I know some guys have been dissapointed with his game in the AHL (Fly, Fleetch or Levitate maybe, I don't remember?). And after I saw their reports and looked at him closer, he defenitly have had some hints of "screwing up" in him. Some bad decisions. Though, while I like Baranka allot more then him, in terms of style Liffiton is a perfect fit. He is a tough stay at home D, and if he keeps it really simple, he might do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Oh god. That Flu.......

Not sure why this is in the Liffiton/Callahan thread tho...
I guess they all have the antibodys (=swenglish, don't know if thats the correct english word ) to not have a epidemy. I've never heard of a team that were hit by the flu twice in a season.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 05:18 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
UPDATE: The Rangers have recalled Ryan Callahan from Hartford. He is expected to practice with the team Thursday and play in Atlanta Friday.

-Blueshirt Bulletin

So this isn't just a Dawes "Just In Case" call up.
yep... sucks to be Dawes

I hope we give Cally a good look on a top line.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Ola

Quote:
I am not the biggest fan of Isbister either, and with him and Orr in the lineup we kind of lack a bit in the skill department. We don't get much offense (I thought about writing puckmovement, but then I guess people would think I was just beeing a jerk these days).

Against teams like the Islanders with real PO's atmosphere, Isbisters size can be valueble. But in games like against Ottawa much of our offense will come from the transition game, and there Callahan defenitly are allot quicker and is a big upgrade over IsBis. Unless we expect some brawling I wouldn't mind seeing Orr benched and Isbis on the 4th with Callahan higher up in the lineup.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I could see Liffiton as a poor mans Brendan Witt with slightly better mobility.

Old
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
DutchShamrock

I'm kind of curious why Baranka didn't get the call up. Anyone have the scoop on our defense in Hartford? Who's the most deserving in your opinions?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I'm kind of curious why Baranka didn't get the call up. Anyone have the scoop on our defense in Hartford? Who's the most deserving in your opinions?
Liffiton is probably more "NHL Ready" right now than Baranka. Baranka has much more upside though. He's better off staying in the A for now.

Old
03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Fletch

Mugerya...

my only guess would be that he hasn't been up here before and they'd rather go with someone they've seen in the NHL at this point, however unimpressive Liffiton was in his short stint. If this was December, and not during the playoff run, I'd hope that the thinking would've been different.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
my only guess would be that he hasn't been up here before and they'd rather go with someone they've seen in the NHL at this point, however unimpressive Liffiton was in his short stint. If this was December, and not during the playoff run, I'd hope that the thinking would've been different.
Why rush Baranka, though? I don't think he's ready yet. Liffiton has been very solid this year and he deserves another shot. I'd rather risk it with a lower end prospect like Liffiton who is more ready right now, anyway.

Old
03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideNYR View Post
needs to be in the lineup. We are not getting points once other teams start batterng us on the ice. Isbister sits, no one else. He hasn't produced point despite playing top line minutes. Let's see what Cally can do in that spot. It's unfortunate that Dawes has been given an opportunity.
I totally agree. Orr has a purpose and does a job. Isbister does nothing but take up a roster spot.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Why rush Baranka, though? I don't think he's ready yet. Liffiton has been very solid this year and he deserves another shot. I'd rather risk it with a lower end prospect like Liffiton who is more ready right now, anyway.
Agree