HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Roman Horak signs in KHL

Old
05-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Wow I'm shocked that Oilers fans have changed opinions of Smid so quickly.
You shouldn't be, the moment we get a player he is a great prospect, wonderful vet the moment a guy is gone he is the devil incarnate.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:01 PM
TheClassicK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
I don't think any Flames fans have been saying he's useless. The word you're looking for is "expendable". He was considered by most to be the 3rd ranked goalie prospect in the system. That doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect, it just means that if another team is looking for a goalie prospect in a trade scenario he's likely the one Flames mgmt is willing to move.

As far as concrete evidence that Broissoit was behind Gillies/Ortio in the system, I'm not sure what you're expecting to find. I can show you fan polls, but you're not ever going to see how a team's management ranks their prospects. I can tell you that this isn't a case of Flames' fans changing their tune on Broissoit after the trade though.
Yeah, this. I'm assuming that's the mistake he made as it seems like he's not replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Gillies had a decent, but unspectacular NCAA season. His first half seemed a lot better than his second.
The latter part of your comment is true, but it definitely wasn't "unspectacular". The second half of the season was a decline by his standards, but it was still excellent. One of the best goalies in the NCAA, arguably top 3, that's enough said.

TheClassicK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:23 PM
uTurris
We the True North

Can't say I blame him.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Aceonfire*

The Oilers obviously lost the Smid trade. But there are reasons for everything.

I was happy with Marincin and Klefbom getting ice time.

Smid is a good player. But he regressed this season and was dragging Petry down. A change of scenery was needed and good for him if he bounced back. Smid is a great guy, never shys away from fan conversations.

Would have been nice to see him traded somewhere far, far away though..

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
McAsuno*
5-14-6-1

Always liked Smid. Never shy away from blocking a shot, but Marincin replaced him easily once he stepped in. Freed up some cap space as well + a blue chip in Brossoit who's playing well in the ECHL ( will need to prove more next year in the ahl ).

McAsuno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:49 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
I say this as a big big fan of Smid, his play this year for the Oilers was one of the most disappointing individual performances on a team will of disappointing performances. Whether it was a case of him regressing or not fitting in with what the team was trying to do I don't know but the way he was playing and the contract he had it was too much.

People get so worked up on winning and losing trades immediately, sometimes a team has to make a trade to facilitate other future moves and the Oilers are quite likely to have to move more defencemen out of the system because it's getting crowded back there.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
In what world do team not add players to be depth players for the AHL? Depth moves happen all the time. Horak was what he was. A good AHL'er who wasn't quite at the NHL level.

If you guys want to look at Horak signing in the KHL as a huge loss for the Oilers, go ahead, but he wasn't going to make the big club next year, and what he brought to the AHL team can easily be replaced.
I never said teams don't add AHL depth, but teams do it though UFAs or trading minor leaguers for minor leaguers. Teams do not trade NHL players for AHL depth.

Also, no one is saying Horak leaving is a big loss, but it is a loss no matter how you slice it. Playing it off like he is a nothing with little to no talent is insulting to a solid young player.

But looking at the bigger picture it could be seen as another in a long line of players that don't want to play for the Oilers.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Always liked Smid. Never shy away from blocking a shot, but Marincin replaced him easily once he stepped in. Freed up some cap space as well + a blue chip in Brossoit who's playing well in the ECHL ( will need to prove more next year in the ahl ).
Blue chip. Yikes. He was 3rd on Calgary's goalie depth chart in prospects alone. Does this mean that Calgary has the deepest goalie pool in the league lol?

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
How it tends to go.
I don't know about Edmonton... but in Calgary he was this teams most reliable defenceman outside of Giordano on a nightly basis. We knew what we were getting out of him. A physical big shot blocker who could easily play second pairing minutes.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Blue chip. Yikes. He was 3rd on Calgary's goalie depth chart in prospects alone. Does this mean that Calgary has the deepest goalie pool in the league lol?
No kidding. Calling Brossoit a blue chip prospect is like calling Ladislav Smid an all-star.

Old
05-12-2014, 07:32 PM
McAsuno*
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Not exactly. The oilers goalie pool is terrible though.

McAsuno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Not exactly. The oilers goalie pool is terrible though.
The Oilers goatending pool may be shallow but that makes Brossoit the tallest midget, not a blue chipper.

Old
05-12-2014, 07:45 PM
SaintMorose

I kinda miss Brossoit I liked having arguably top 20 goal-tending prospects.

Gillies is obviously the Flames star he's huge he's quick and he has a great glove and

Ortio who struggled his first time in the AHL (like Brossoit) started the season with 12 straight wins showing he had really gotten to that next level (and gave us the ability to move LB).

That said Brossoit should have been a WJC goalie based on his final camp performance, he out-dueled a great albeit younger goalie to be the top guy on the Oil Kings during his time there, and he shows promise at the pro level. I don't think gaining him with nothing at the nhl level and nothing in the pipeline was a bad move for the Oilers. I just wish they wouldn't have to crap on a warrior like Smid to justify over-paying.
The reason they over-paid was because they had nothing not because Smid is a bad NHLer.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Captain Catatomic
SuprstitionCondition

Send a message via ICQ to Captain Catatomic
Smids trade was a dump. was pretty close to buy out time if you ask me, so the fact that MacT got anything in return for him from anyone was lucky. The Oilers also got a pick from Bryzgalov who they were able to sign from the Smid Dump.

Captain Catatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
They actually did need the cap space to sign Bryz, because if they would have signed him outright, and everyone reached their bonuses, we would have been over the cap. Technically, we had the space, but MacT has said he considers bonuses in full when dealing with the cap.
The Oilers are a cap team? Jesus crust.

05-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Yep, bury Horak in the minors so Ryan Jones, Jesse Joensuu, and Will Acton can put up a collective 16 points in 124 games. It's the Oiler way!

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Marc9

2nd oilers player to leave and sign in KHL? Yakupov next

Marc9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 01:10 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I never said teams don't add AHL depth, but teams do it though UFAs or trading minor leaguers for minor leaguers. Teams do not trade NHL players for AHL depth.

Also, no one is saying Horak leaving is a big loss, but it is a loss no matter how you slice it. Playing it off like he is a nothing with little to no talent is insulting to a solid young player.

But looking at the bigger picture it could be seen as another in a long line of players that don't want to play for the Oilers.
You seem to be missing the entire point of the trade from Edmonton's perspective. They moved an expendable piece (Smid) to fill a hole in the organization (goaltending through Byrzgalov AND Brossoit) and AHL filler. Horak was just as important in this deal as Olivier Roy was...and that's not saying much. He was brought in to help the farm team. Nothing more was expected of him, and we have other players coming in to fill that spot this year. It's not a loss. It's a dime a dozen minor leaguer taking an offer to play first tier pro back home, when he couldn't get past 2nd tier pro on two of the bottom five teams in the NHL. As far as we know, Edmonton wasn't going to give him an offer at all, so like I said, it is no loss at all.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Paralyzer
The Beatdown Begins

Quote:
You seem to be missing the entire point of the trade from Edmonton's perspective. They moved an expendable piece (Smid) to fill a hole in the organization (goaltending through Byrzgalov AND Brossoit) and AHL filler. Horak was just as important in this deal as Olivier Roy was...and that's not saying much. He was brought in to help the farm team. Nothing more was expected of him, and we have other players coming in to fill that spot this year. It's not a loss. It's a dime a dozen minor leaguer taking an offer to play first tier pro back home, when he couldn't get past 2nd tier pro on two of the bottom five teams in the NHL. As far as we know, Edmonton wasn't going to give him an offer at all, so like I said, it is no loss at all.
Not to mention we still retain his rights. So if and when he wants to return, we can sign him. No biggie IMO. Add in the fact we also signed Arcobello and Lander to a 1 year deal, and Horak would have a hard time looking for any top 6 mins in the AHL (unless Lander or Arcobello play 4th line in the NHL, but that is to be seen).

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote