HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Lander signed to 1-year extension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2014, 04:03 PM
  #26
redgrant
Registered User
 
redgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,236
vCash: 500
If SJ drafted him he'd be another Couture. This management is the worst in the league at development and drafting.

redgrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
  #27
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,884
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
If SJ drafted him he'd be another Couture. This management is the worst in the league at development and drafting.
The Oilers have their warts but holy ****

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 04:17 PM
  #28
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,853
vCash: 500
Lander has like, a very very small shot now at being a useful 3rd line player.

I guess it's okay that he has a spot on the 50 man roster, I'm not really mad or anything, but the guy isn't going to do anything. Hopefully he isn't on the main forwards squad come October.

His type of player, a guy who scores in the AHL but can't do anything in the NHL, are easy to find, he ain't worth much.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 04:45 PM
  #29
McGlassbangers
Registered User
 
McGlassbangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McFinland
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,084
vCash: 97
Anton Lander vs. Kyle Brodziak:

1st season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (AHL) - 56gp 6+26=32 (.57PPG)
Lander (NHL) - 56gp 2+4=6 (.11PPG)
Lander (AHL) - 14gp 1+4=5 (.36PPG)

2nd season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (AHL) - 55gp 12+19=31 (.56PPG)
Brodziak (NHL) - 10gp 0+0=0 (.00PPG)
Lander (AHL) - 47gp 9+11=20 (.43PPG)
Lander (NHL) - 11gp 0+1=1 (.09PPG)

3rd season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (AHL) - 62gp 24+32=56 (.90PPG)
Brodziak (NHL) - 6gp 1+0=1 (.17PPG)
Lander (AHL) - 46gp 18+34=52 (1.13PPG)
Lander (NHL) - 27gp 0+1=1 (.03PPG)

4th season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (NHL) - 80gp 14+17=31 (.39PPG)
Lander (NHL) - ???

So far their career paths has been similar. Now it's up to Lander to earn the spot on our NHL roster.

McGlassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 04:54 PM
  #30
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,853
vCash: 500
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_played

Here's a list of where Lander is at developmental wise.

There are a few quality names like Ott, Sobotka, and Burns for example, but seems like he's not really going to turn into much.

Lander compares with Steve Kelly, and a lot of grinders/fighters. Guess that's what he'll have to become (a grinder) based on his lack of offensive output.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:31 PM
  #31
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 500
Thanks for the link but I'm not sure that's really a fair analysis of Lander. In that it includes Lander's point totals for the NHL during his first 94 games. It depends on role and minutes, PP time. Lander's first season has a huge impact as he played 56 games when he was only 20 years old and his first season in North America.

I think Lander's AHL history may be a more useful indicator of his future development as a majority of those games was played just this past year, instead of NHL where the majority of games was played two years ago (2011-12 season)

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
  #32
nabob
:]
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,127
vCash: 500
Wow a lot of hate for a guy who's following a pretty normal development curve to becoming a solid 3rd line center at worst. If he was a Detroit prospect their fans would be excited by his progression.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:17 PM
  #33
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Wow a lot of hate for a guy who's following a pretty normal development curve to becoming a solid 3rd line center at worst. If he was a Detroit prospect their fans would be excited by his progression.
Ya, the kid just turned 23 and plays a very solid defensive game. I have no issues with taking our time with him. He'd be good with Hendricks and Gazdic on the 4th line next year

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:28 PM
  #34
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,802
vCash: 1991
He never had much offensive upside anyways.

Elite shutdown upside with the ability to pot in 5-10 goals and about 10-20 assists.

He's Sami Pahlsson at best and that is being very generous

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:40 PM
  #35
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
He's worth some more time imo, because he is solid defensively, and we have to get away from the belief that all of our forwards have to play in the NHL at 18 or they're busts.

Lander showed some offensive flair in the AHL this past season, which is intriguing. It's funny though, we're more patient with offensive forwards who have to develop their defensive games, than we are of defensive forwards who have to develop their offensive games.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:55 PM
  #36
488fitter
Registered User
 
488fitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 50
I could live with...

Arco - Trade/UFA - Trade/UFA
Hendricks - Gordon - Lander

With Gazdic drawing in for Lander when need be. If anyone is further up the depth chart than that, it might be another long season.

488fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 08:11 PM
  #37
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,917
vCash: 99
Heard Lander on the Gregor show today. Seems like a pretty solid individual with natural leadership tendencies.

Only issue I have is he's been in North America for 3 years now and his English just sucks. Maybe he's not a quick learner. Nick Lidstrom he is not..concerning his skillz with the English language.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:02 PM
  #38
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,026
vCash: 500
Hopefully Acrobello plays above Lander. I like the guy, but he hasnt done much for us yet.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:55 PM
  #39
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Magician
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 61,361
vCash: 500
I like this signing but Lander needs to come to camp and earn a spot for a change. It's time for him to come in and show that he's an NHL player.

__________________
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 10:58 PM
  #40
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,947
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
He'll either be 4th line C, 3rd line RW or 4th line RW.

He deserves a chance.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 01:03 AM
  #41
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Anton Lander vs. Kyle Brodziak:

1st season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (AHL) - 56gp 6+26=32 (.57PPG)
Lander (NHL) - 56gp 2+4=6 (.11PPG)
Lander (AHL) - 14gp 1+4=5 (.36PPG)

2nd season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (AHL) - 55gp 12+19=31 (.56PPG)
Brodziak (NHL) - 10gp 0+0=0 (.00PPG)
Lander (AHL) - 47gp 9+11=20 (.43PPG)
Lander (NHL) - 11gp 0+1=1 (.09PPG)

3rd season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (AHL) - 62gp 24+32=56 (.90PPG)
Brodziak (NHL) - 6gp 1+0=1 (.17PPG)
Lander (AHL) - 46gp 18+34=52 (1.13PPG)
Lander (NHL) - 27gp 0+1=1 (.03PPG)

4th season in AHL/NHL:
Brodziak (NHL) - 80gp 14+17=31 (.39PPG)
Lander (NHL) - ???

So far their career paths has been similar. Now it's up to Lander to earn the spot on our NHL roster.
If anything the above demonstrates that Brodz basically kicked it out of the park the first chance he had to run with it in the NHL. It was the first year he landed and he made the most of it for sure. Lander has had so much more opportunity up with the big club in his tenure.
Theres really nothing at all in the above in which to make a comparison. Brodz was always going to be a good player and always had the heart and desire imo to make it. As per usual the Oilers didn't hold on and let a guy mature. Like many people you're getting seduced into thinking AHL numbers mean a whole lot. yet players that are AHL comparables are often enough not NHL comparables. Brodz has shown so much more determination and resolve in the big leagues.

That said I like Lander and hope he has some success with this another chance.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:28 AM
  #42
Mr Positive
Stanley Cup or bust
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13,528
vCash: 1983
I remember some analyst who has seen Lander play in both OKC and for the Oil say that Lander's problem looks psychological. In the NHL he plays with more confidence and aggression, like he's trying to get noticed, and when he's on the Oilers it's like he's trying his hardest not to get noticed, to avoid making mistakes.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:41 AM
  #43
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I remember some analyst who has seen Lander play in both OKC and for the Oil say that Lander's problem looks psychological. In the NHL he plays with more confidence and aggression, like he's trying to get noticed, and when he's on the Oilers it's like he's trying his hardest not to get noticed, to avoid making mistakes.
I don't know about an analyst, but he basically admitted as much himself in a big interview this year. I posted a translation of it in another thread.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 03:29 AM
  #44
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't disagree, and I don't suggest giving up on the player, but the 2 you mention might have a bit more talent.
Up until a couple of years ago there was no question that Lander had the higher potential and was the bigger talent with respect to Nyquist. Nowadays I have seen reporters, bloggers, etc saying that they always knew there was something special about him but that is just revisionist history imo.

They even played together in the Sweden's national team U20, although Nyquist was 2 years older than Lander at the time (and even though we are talking extremely small sample size Lander outproduced Nyquist...). That same year Lander was assistant Captain for Timra and (more or less became legend amongst the fans for his ability to raise his game in important games and score game winners) and also played for the national team. Nyquist was doing ok at the univ of Maine but he had some trouble skating (who would have guessed) and defensively.


Anyway, I know people can come back at me here and point out the obvious differences between these players, which is especially easy seeing as one of them already has had success and the other has not. In the end it is not about Nyquist vs Lander though and I won't push that at all so no one needs to point out how wrong I am there...

The point is that I am somewhat surprised over the negativity over a player who is still fairly young and has taken steps forward in his development every year so far. In Sweden and in the AHL he has always improved, but he has yet to be able to translate his game to the NHL. Maybe he never will but I fail to see any kind of downside to signing him to a (probably very cheap) contract.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 04:03 AM
  #45
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,853
vCash: 500
Capgeek reporting it's a 600K, one way deal

So, relatively cheap really.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:09 AM
  #46
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
If Lander's offense begins to emerge this coming season at the NHL level, we're going to have a very good player here. This is a very low risk signing for the Oilers at 600K, so I hope that Lander makes the most of it, and as Bryanbryoil, wrote, "Lander needs to come to camp and earn a spot." I'm fairly convinced that he has the tools, but he has not shown it enough offensively at the NHL level. It's up to him. He really needs to demonstrate that he's ready at camp. He has a sorely needed skillset and could be an ideal candidate for a third line centre, but he has to contribute something offensively.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:47 AM
  #47
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
If Lander's offense begins to emerge this coming season at the NHL level, we're going to have a very good player here. This is a very low risk signing for the Oilers at 600K, so I hope that Lander makes the most of it, and as Bryanbryoil, wrote, "Lander needs to come to camp and earn a spot." I'm fairly convinced that he has the tools, but he has not shown it enough offensively at the NHL level. It's up to him. He really needs to demonstrate that he's ready at camp. He has a sorely needed skillset and could be an ideal candidate for a third line centre, but he has to contribute something offensively.
I believe that the bolded is the main point here since there has been a lot of negative posts. Even if you give him a 1/10 chance of making it (which would be way too low imo), it is still a very low risk given his caphit.

I actually think that the organization can (and will) allow him a longer leash than most here seem to think though. Not in terms of getting anything for free obviously, but rather in that if he shows further improvement this upcoming season my guess is that they will sign him for yet another year on a similar contract (if he agrees and if he is not traded before that).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 09:26 AM
  #48
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State
 
KenLinsemanFanClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Isle of Van
Country: South Africa
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I believe that the bolded is the main point here since there has been a lot of negative posts. Even if you give him a 1/10 chance of making it (which would be way too low imo), it is still a very low risk given his caphit.

I actually think that the organization can (and will) allow him a longer leash than most here seem to think though. Not in terms of getting anything for free obviously, but rather in that if he shows further improvement this upcoming season my guess is that they will sign him for yet another year on a similar contract (if he agrees and if he is not traded before that).
Just wanted to say that I appreciate your insights into our Swedish prospects. They are usually pretty well considered and always informative.

We get tons of negativity about the guys who aren't lighting the league on fire in their first opportunity. Patience isn't a virtue around here. Lander seems to have a lot of the "intangibles" that are needed for a good support player on an NHL team and I hope things click for him next season. Could be a very useful guy if things go well. He has the ability to distract opposition players and everything you see about him says he is a leader.

I'd hate to see him go to a team like the Wings or the Senators and become a player that we would lament having let go but if that is what happens I'll be happy for Anton. I just hope it happens for us next season.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 09:29 AM
  #49
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
Just wanted to say that I appreciate your insights into our Swedish prospects. They are usually pretty well considered and always informative.

We get tons of negativity about the guys who aren't lighting the league on fire in their first opportunity. Patience isn't a virtue around here. Lander seems to have a lot of the "intangibles" that are needed for a good support player on an NHL team and I hope things click for him next season. Could be a very useful guy if things go well. He has the ability to distract opposition players and everything you see about him says he is a leader.

I'd hate to see him go to a team like the Wings or the Senators and become a player that we would lament having let go but if that is what happens I'll be happy for Anton. I just hope it happens for us next season.
The Oilers have been guilty of hanging on too long in some instances and not long enough at other times.

With Lander...I don't see any hint of "intangibles" and to me...that ought to have been the deal breaker. He is exactly what Mac-T said he DIDN'T want last summer when he spoke about irrelevant minutes/contributions.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 09:34 AM
  #50
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
Just wanted to say that I appreciate your insights into our Swedish prospects. They are usually pretty well considered and always informative.

We get tons of negativity about the guys who aren't lighting the league on fire in their first opportunity. Patience isn't a virtue around here. Lander seems to have a lot of the "intangibles" that are needed for a good support player on an NHL team and I hope things click for him next season. Could be a very useful guy if things go well. He has the ability to distract opposition players and everything you see about him says he is a leader.

I'd hate to see him go to a team like the Wings or the Senators and become a player that we would lament having let go but if that is what happens I'll be happy for Anton. I just hope it happens for us next season.
Yep. I could see Lander doing better on clubs that have better records of development and we've certainly seen some Detroit development examples before.

I like Landers skillset. Really teases with some seemingly good hands and when he's on I like the way he see's the ice out there and can manage the puck. However on the other hand its years in and I haven't seen a lot more from him than the glimpses. Its clearly show me time.
I hope the Oil give him regular rotations and take a long hard look next season. As a player he's worthy of that. But in exchange more focus, resilience, and consistency of effort is required from Lander. He has exhibited, like a lot of players struggling to make the transition, that he doesn't persevere enough in response to results not being there. Theres enough hang dog expressions on this club. He needs to be more than that. I haven't seen nearly enough determination.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.