HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Part IV (MOD WARNING POST #1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabitant View Post
Have they tried Briere with Max Pac these playoffs ?
No they haven't tried DB with anyone other than a few PP outings.
I think it is safe to assume MT pretty much hates him.
What he doesn't seem to realize is even though DB has lost a step he hasn't lost any of his anticipation
or hockey sense and hands. Kind of like Markov only up front. He's never been given a chance to excel in the role that would suit him best because someone else can do no wrong.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Do you blame Kunitz if Crosby doesn't produce? Seems very convenient for some.

That being said, I would swap the line but as I said with the kunitz/Crosby comparison, it just doesn't make sense.

Someone will say but Playmaker vs Sniper and yada yada to mask the truth. Do we blame Backstrom for Ovechkin? We don't.
Thing is, you are just assuming if Crosby/Ovechkin don't produce, the other 2 become useless offensively like Desharnais. Backstrom got 20 points in the last 22 games of the season during Ovechkin's famous end of season slump where he got 10 goals/16 points in 22 points. Regular season Crosby (104pt) had more than 1.5 times the points than Kunitz (68pt). In playoffs, during Crosby's slump of 1g/9pt in 11 games, Kunitz is still producing close to his regular season production 3g/8pt in 11 games (60pt pace).

Simple answer to why they get points is that they're actually good players on their own right with the ability to produce even when their linemate can't. Crosby/Ovechkin may make them better - but they don't make them. Not to mention, if Kunitz/Backstrom don't produce and Crosby/Ovechkin struggle at same time, what is there to suggest they even remain a duo for much longer.

Ultimately it depends on the expectation level of Desharnais. Not many will say it's Bournival's fault if Plekanec can't produce. Not many said Prust/Moen's fault since he couldn't produce points with Plekanec. Most know these players are not there to produce offense. The expectations on them are low. People either blame Plekanec for not being able to produce despite them or the coaching staff for putting low end players with Plekanec.

If Desharnais is considered the teams best offensive C and gets everything that comes with that role, he shouldn't become completely shutdown if a linemate struggles. If he was Moen then sure, he's working hard and good defensively. Fault will be on Plekanec for not being able to carry him. The way people bring up expectations of Desharnais, this is how low it appears. It doesn't fit the praise he gets as a player: the defense of his production being completely dependent on Pacioretty, the defense of his monopoly over the offensive situations due to supposedly being the best offensive center, etc.

If someone believes he is truly a top 6 forward, they should put blame on him for not being able to produce points regardless of how hard he tries. IMO it doesn't make sense to suggest he's top 6 and then have expectation level around Moen level. I put blame on Pacioretty since I think he should be a 1st liner. I never saw Desharnais as a legitimate top 6 forward so I'm actually impressed with his play. Agreeing with my playoff assessment of Desharnais would suggest similar expectation level. I really don't think many of you think he's Kyle Wellwood 2.0 (Desharnais is better in the sense that he is not lazy, gets less injuries, but the same type of center who can produce in right situation).

Old
05-12-2014, 08:51 AM
JLP
Refugee

Would sure like some offense from DD#1C and he leads the team to victory tonight!

Old
05-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Just going to leave this right here....

Old
05-13-2014, 12:08 AM
25get

DD only had an assist tonight but he has been playing better defensively in the previous two games.
This game, he was effective in offense and got his first pass.
Here hoping that he can score a few points in game 7.

Old
05-13-2014, 03:54 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Ya I saw him with a nice back check early in the game and knew he was on. Also preventing that goal is as good as scoring one!

Old
05-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Smokey Thompson

Played a helluva game last night

Old
05-13-2014, 05:35 AM
Lions999

Eller has been our best forward and to bad he hasn`t been given any PP Time might have won the series already.

Old
05-13-2014, 06:16 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Eller has been our best forward and to bad he hasn`t been given any PP Time might have won the series already.
Seriously? In a Desharnais thread? Come on man.

Everyone knows Eller has been amazing (I'd say second best forward after Gallagher, but not a big deal).

Old
05-13-2014, 06:25 AM
sharks9

Price owes Desharnais his shutout last night!

Old
05-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Eller has never been particularly good on the PP, even when he was playing well last year.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Et le But

That save. He's really made some intelligent, not to mention gutsy, defensive plays in these playoffs. Good to see an adjustment from him even when his offense has been slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Eller has never been particularly good on the PP, even when he was playing well last year.
As much as I don't want to get into this discussion, Eller had 2 less PP points than Desharnais last year in 100 less minutes.

There is a logic to not putting Eller on the power play (he's a more proven penalty killer, Desharnais works well with Pacioretty, although their power play production has been nothing but underwhelming, Desharnais has been more consistent offensively), but the sample size of his production on the power play is too small to say much about it.

Last edited by Et le But: 05-13-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old
05-13-2014, 08:35 AM
turtlethedog

David Desharnais looks like John C Reilly.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:36 AM
borisbadenough

Never been a big fan of DD as a first line center, offensively speaking. Although that opinion is not going to change ,I must admit , his defense in this series is pretty darn good.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Would sure like some offense from DD#1C and he leads the team to victory tonight!

This worked...
This really worked

Old
05-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

As much as I don't want to get into this discussion, Eller had 2 less PP points than Desharnais last year in 100 less minutes.
Monctonscout spewing BS??? Never would have thought.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Never would have thought after all the discussion about his value offensively to the team as a exploitation player, it's his defensive ability that was underrated and perhaps would bring more value to the team by facing off against good players than his offensive ability.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:31 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

You need to post this more often.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You need to post this more often.
Needs to airbrush the playoff facials in too...

Old
05-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Cyclones Rock

For entire playoffs, DD has been on ice for 2 goals total.

Vs. Tampa, the goal was put in by his own team while on the PP.

Vs. Boston, Bergerons seeing-eye shot from the wall in game 2.

One goal against ES in 10 playoff games.

Myths of his "defensive deficiencies" should be put to rest for good.

Old
05-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

Then Eller lack of vision also....since he's the best forward in the team.

Old
05-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Pretty much. Overrated offensively, underrated defensively. Frankly this defensively revelation is far more valuable to the Habs IMO than the offensive side especially if it means the Habs start spread out the offensively responsibility through 3 lines. Now they know they can run 3 hard to score against lines.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 05-13-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old
05-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Then Eller lack of vision also....since he's the best forward in the team.
Both of you have an agenda and need to start cheering for the team instead of bickering about ridiculous things. Both of you are wrong.

Eller doesn't have great vision. He has a strong work ethic, great along the boards, strong on the puck, and a good forecheck. That's why he can produce, especially in the playoffs when hard work generally overshadows skill. That's not to say Eller doesn't have any vision, he does. Eller is playing great because he's not giving up on any shift though.

Gallagher has been the best forward, Eller is probably second.

As for Desharnais, he's never been as bad defensively as people say. But this playoffs is something else. This is a whole new Davey that he's never shown before. If he played like this constantly, people would be happy to have him. Using this playoffs to prove he's good defensively - sure. But he damn well better play like this next year because now I expect so much more out of him.

Old
05-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Man Rock Band View Post
Both of you have an agenda and need to start cheering for the team instead of bickering about ridiculous things. Both of you are wrong.

Eller doesn't have great vision. He has a strong work ethic, great along the boards, strong on the puck, and a good forecheck. That's why he can produce, especially in the playoffs when hard work generally overshadows skill. That's not to say Eller doesn't have any vision, he does. Eller is playing great because he's not giving up on any shift though.

Gallagher has been the best forward, Eller is probably second.

As for Desharnais, he's never been as bad defensively as people say. But this playoffs is something else. This is a whole new Davey that he's never shown before. If he played like this constantly, people would be happy to have him. Using this playoffs to prove he's good defensively - sure. But he damn well better play like this next year because now I expect so much more out of him.
Well, i expected to be wrong....that's the whole point.

Eller isn't a playmaker, he's an all around player that can do many many things in all 3 zones.

But DD is good defensively? Than why he NEVER gets any PK times if he's that good?
Why he never get tought start in the D-zone like Eller and Plekanec?

Having said that....let's wait for the end of the season for this.
Right now it's let's go DD and Eller....and the season won't end tomorrow night, so let's be patient

Old
05-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Pretty much. Overrated offensively, underrated defensively. Frankly this defensively revelation is far more valuable to the Habs IMO than the offensive side especially if it means the Habs start spread out the offensively responsibility through 3 lines. Now they know they can run 3 hard to score against lines.
I agree.

I've been watching him since 2007-08 and he's never skated in such a high gear so consistently. When he's moving as quickly as he is now, his defensive coverage is outstanding.

Based on what I've seen, I don't think that a coach would have too many issues placing him on defensive assignments. He'll (obviously) get outmuscled every now and again, but I don't think that his positioning or skating would be an issue.

He always played a lot on the PK in the minors. While the Habs have a large group of forwards who are very good in this capacity, having another in the mix wouldn't hurt things at all. *I do understand that DD's lack of wingspan (reach) is a liability on the PK*

Closed Thread