HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT:Funny story about the Newark arena

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
OT:Funny story about the Newark arena

For those of you who don't know I am a former pro wrestler turned promoter from NJ. I own the NWA name in NJ and run yearly shows in Newark and today went to sign the contract for this years event. So driving to the building I looked up and saw the construction site for the new arena which is one turn off of RT21 in Newark. Battling the bumper to bumper 3 pm traffic I started thinking how hard it will be to get there at 6pm for a game. Well I made the turn at the FBI building and start heading up the road get the light at looking at the building and construction site when a guy walks up and asks for a dollar and I had no problem giving it to him when all of a sudden a huge wade of spit hits my windshield and he says for 2 more i will clean them!!!!!! Before I lost my temper i blow thru the light and up to the recreation center which is located 3 blocks, I sign my contracts and start talking hockey with the director who says the devils are donating tons of tickets and equipment to the rec center and that they are doing a lot but no one will join the hockey program and not even the free ice program they have set up.The area is terrible as I have a ton of friends that work for IDT and they tell me horror stories about the blocks surrounding the area For the sake of the game I hope the move there doesn't just make attendance drop like Hank to his knees on a 40 footer (j/k kidding had to take that shot ) I have to tell you I go 5-8 Devils games a year with comp or free tickets but I will have to think twice about taking my kids to Newark

Old
03-14-2007, 09:32 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
For those of you who don't know I am a former pro wrestler turned promoter from NJ. I own the NWA name in NJ and run yearly shows in Newark and today went to sign the contract for this years event.
NWA! A reunion! Who's takin Ez's place

Old
03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Dagoon44

I can break a big time scoop for you guys we are talking our titles back from TNA within the next 6 weeks and relaunching nationally starting April. Pm me if you guys want more details don't want thread getting locked

Old
03-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Staal Me Up

Send a message via AIM to Staal Me Up
thats funny, I do work at Action Waste and that area is horrible. Countless hookers and druggies.

Old
03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I saw a show on Oprah about the mayor of Newark, Corey Booker is his name, a really smart, nice guy who was a Rhodes Scholar and went to an Ivy League school, and this guy lived in the ghetto in Newark. He chose to live there even though he could have lived in some nice mayor's house or something. He didn't even have hot water in his apartment. To take a shower, he had to heat up a pot of water on his stove and then pour it in this shower bag that had all these little perforations in it, and he would hang it up where the showerhead is and that's how he showered. Talk about living the life of the people you represent.

Old
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I saw a show on Oprah about the mayor of Newark, Corey Booker is his name, a really smart, nice guy who was a Rhodes Scholar and went to an Ivy League school, and this guy lived in the ghetto in Newark. He chose to live there even though he could have lived in some nice mayor's house or something. He didn't even have hot water in his apartment. To take a shower, he had to heat up a pot of water on his stove and then pour it in this shower bag that had all these little perforations in it, and he would hang it up where the showerhead is and that's how he showered. Talk about living the life of the people you represent.
If ANYONE can clean up the city, it's the current mayor. He seems like an absolutely fantastic guy.

Didn't he chase down a pursesnatcher just not that long ago?

Old
03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I still don't understand the move to Newark. Put it this way, they aren't going to get more fans down there. Most Devils fans are in NY and Northern Jersey. All they are doing is making the commute longer. That coupled with it being in a pretty bad area and I just can't see how they will do any better than they currently are. If anything they'll do worse. I was talking to a Devils fan that I know. I was like, so what are you going to do when the Devils move to Newark? He was like, I won't go to any games, I'll tell you that.

North Jersey = Devils/Rangers
South Jersey = Philly

Central Jersey is a mix of everything I guess.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Devils either move back to Continental or move out of the area completely within 5 to 10 years.

Old
03-14-2007, 10:22 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
If ANYONE can clean up the city, it's the current mayor. He seems like an absolutely fantastic guy.

I don't know, maybe he did. He obviously cares about the people in the community. But I'm not so sure chasing down criminals is the safest thing for the city's mayor to be doing. You never know if the guy is holding a knife or a gun.

That reminds me of a story a while back about Marty Turco when he caught some guy trying to steal something from his garage (I think it was beer) so he chased after him and tackled him. Then he sat on him until the fuzz came. Turco is a nut.

Old
03-14-2007, 10:38 PM
schoenfeld
2 Way Contract

Untill Rudy had them all secretly killed and driven into abandoned subway tunnels, there was plenty of Hookers and Homeless people around the Garden. Don't forget, if you really needed to score some weed before an Islanders game, you could walk down to the GMS (Garden Mitchel Secondary, the train tracks) and stand around with your hands in your pockets, and a dealer would show up. Just sayin'.

Old
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I don't know, maybe he did. He obviously cares about the people in the community. But I'm not so sure chasing down criminals is the safest thing for the city's mayor to be doing. You never know if the guy is holding a knife or a gun.

That reminds me of a story a while back about Marty Turco when he caught some guy trying to steal something from his garage (I think it was beer) so he chased after him and tackled him. Then he sat on him until the fuzz came. Turco is a nut.
If you want a great insight into Corey Booker, I highly recommend the documentary "Street Fight"

It covers Corey Booker's bid against then longtime mayor Sharpe James in the 2002 mayoral election. It is a fantastic documentary and an amazing insight into Newark in general.

Old
03-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he tackled a bank robber.

Old
03-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
I still don't understand the move to Newark. Put it this way, they aren't going to get more fans down there. Most Devils fans are in NY and Northern Jersey. All they are doing is making the commute longer. That coupled with it being in a pretty bad area and I just can't see how they will do any better than they currently are. If anything they'll do worse. I was talking to a Devils fan that I know. I was like, so what are you going to do when the Devils move to Newark? He was like, I won't go to any games, I'll tell you that.

North Jersey = Devils/Rangers
South Jersey = Philly

Central Jersey is a mix of everything I guess.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Devils either move back to Continental or move out of the area completely within 5 to 10 years.
I don't have any firm evidence on the exact number of fans but I think you need to add in Central New Jersey to your list (Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean counties). I think there are a ton of Devil fans in this area. Of course, there are also a lot of Ranger fans and sprinkling of Islander fans. So, for Devil fans in this area, it's very convenient to get to Newark by using NJ Transit instead of driving up the Parkway to the Turnpike.

Heck, it's easier for me to get to a Ranger game in NY than a Devil game in New Jersey and I live in New Jersey.

The Philly fans are usually down in the Cherry Hill area and AC area.

Old
03-15-2007, 09:28 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
For those of you who don't know I am a former pro wrestler turned promoter from NJ. I own the NWA name in NJ and run yearly shows in Newark and today went to sign the contract for this years event. So driving to the building I looked up and saw the construction site for the new arena which is one turn off of RT21 in Newark. Battling the bumper to bumper 3 pm traffic I started thinking how hard it will be to get there at 6pm for a game. Well I made the turn at the FBI building and start heading up the road get the light at looking at the building and construction site when a guy walks up and asks for a dollar and I had no problem giving it to him when all of a sudden a huge wade of spit hits my windshield and he says for 2 more i will clean them!!!!!! Before I lost my temper i blow thru the light and up to the recreation center which is located 3 blocks, I sign my contracts and start talking hockey with the director who says the devils are donating tons of tickets and equipment to the rec center and that they are doing a lot but no one will join the hockey program and not even the free ice program they have set up.The area is terrible as I have a ton of friends that work for IDT and they tell me horror stories about the blocks surrounding the area For the sake of the game I hope the move there doesn't just make attendance drop like Hank to his knees on a 40 footer (j/k kidding had to take that shot ) I have to tell you I go 5-8 Devils games a year with comp or free tickets but I will have to think twice about taking my kids to Newark
I respect your opinion..but that area around Penn Station is far from Scary or terrible...For a pro wrestler, you sound a little bit like a sissy...Did you wrestle under the name "Scared of Black People"

Old
03-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Dagoon44

Hey Devil how about you meet me in section 212 at the meadowlands during the next Devils game? I won't be hard to find I'll be the only guy in the section. Why would you make this a race issue? Did I say that? In my line of work I deal with every culture there is and Black and white to me is non sense. You just showed how classless you are by making those statements. The area of which you speak I do a lot of busiess there guess what it is a very bad area. 117 murders in Newark last year the most in NJ history Camden was second with 17. 3 blocks from the new arena is muslim center where 3 months ago 3 people were lliteraly cut in half by bullets from a machine gun for just walking out club at the wrong time.Dude black white yellow or red murder is murder death is death

Old
03-15-2007, 10:25 AM
JR#9*

All Devil fans do is make excuses about the current arena being so inconvienent, forgetting the fact that it only cost $10 to park and the fact that there are only 10k people there a night makes for easy in and out.

Now it will be a whole new set of excuses as to why the team simply can't draw despite it's great run of success.

Can't wait to hear all the new ones start rolling in.

Old
03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I don't have any firm evidence on the exact number of fans but I think you need to add in Central New Jersey to your list (Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean counties). I think there are a ton of Devil fans in this area. Of course, there are also a lot of Ranger fans and sprinkling of Islander fans. So, for Devil fans in this area, it's very convenient to get to Newark by using NJ Transit instead of driving up the Parkway to the Turnpike.

Heck, it's easier for me to get to a Ranger game in NY than a Devil game in New Jersey and I live in New Jersey.

The Philly fans are usually down in the Cherry Hill area and AC area.
Damn those pesky little Islander fans, they are like **** roaches!

Old
03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal Me Up View Post
thats funny, I do work at Action Waste and that area is horrible. Countless hookers and druggies.
Not even the nice looking hookers, these are the toothless cracked out skin & bones hoe.

Anyone ever been to the Kearny Truck stop off of 1 & 9?
that place used to be the Atlantic City for the Crack Hoe. I know this because My neighbor used to run the Truck wash there before OJ's opened opened & put them out of business. He used to tell some funny stories, & I witnessed some **** up stuff when I would being my trucks to get washed & Dieseled up.

Old
03-15-2007, 11:02 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

He has some job ahead of him, I don't know how Sharpe James stayed in office all those years, he was living Hi off the constituents of his city, he was charging up a storm on the city's credit cards going on vacations and buying himself stuff, than he stuck the bill to the people after he left office, & Booker exposed him for the fraud he was. I'm not sure what the resuloution was if any.

Old
03-15-2007, 11:55 AM
svaleira

Why are you all so scared of Newark? Don't you realize that you sound like little old ladies. Grow a pair!!!!!!!

Old
03-15-2007, 11:58 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaleira View Post
Why are you all so scared of Newark? Don't you realize that you sound like little old ladies. Grow a pair!!!!!!!

who said they're afraid of newark?

It's the Devil fans who have to travel there, not Ranger fans so save your post for all the Devil fans that will still stay away from going to games and supporting their team.

Old
03-15-2007, 12:08 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
who said they're afraid of newark?

It's the Devil fans who have to travel there, not Ranger fans so save your post for all the Devil fans that will still stay away from going to games and supporting their team.
The pro wrestler who started the thread said he was scared of Newark..said he has to think twice "before bringing his kids to Newark"..exact quote. Read the thread before you make comments like that

Old
03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
The pro wrestler who started the thread said he was scared of Newark..said he has to think twice "before bringing his kids to Newark"..exact quote. Read the thread before you make comments like that
I did read the part where you called him a sissy and then he called you out to meet him at the CAA and then you promptly disapppeared , so stick to worrying about yourself being afraid big guy.

Old
03-15-2007, 12:19 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
I did read the part where you called him a sissy and then he called you out to meet him at the CAA and then you promptly disapppeared , so stick to worrying about yourself being afraid big guy.
That's odd..not exactly what happened..he Private Messaged me with insults about my dead mother and her ass crack..Very classy guy..Once again you really never do have the full story..And I stick to my story..anyone who is afraid of the area around the newark arena is most likely very sheltered and a sissy..it's a business district full of insurance companies and nice high rise buidings.On the other side, there is City Hall..oohhh, that's frightening too..People should do their homework before making spreading misinformation..

Old
03-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ok, before this is shut, and no shock as to who started all this, but I just wanted to say there is a 100% that City gets a huge overhaul in the next ten years. Right now its easy to criticize that area, but wait until theres money to be made. Build the arena and they will come

Old
03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
In before the thread is closed!

Closed Thread