HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

How far can Bobby Ryan take the Attack?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
  #26
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
I tried to warn them to not try and get into an attack debate with you.. but they didn't listen
Lime won't try to get into an argument. He's well known on many OHL boards to be a troll Knights fan that will bait and then leave. I believe he has been banned on many of these sites.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:15 PM
  #27
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
Lime won't try to get into an argument. He's well known on many OHL boards to be a troll Knights fan that will bait and then leave. I believe he has been banned on many of these sites.
Meh... it's easier to just laugh at the things he says and believes.

To stay on topic, from an outsider's point of view, getting rid of Gongalsky was the biggest mistake this year. You don't trade the heart and soul of your team easily, and I think he's been missed far more than the powers that be ever expected.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:36 PM
  #28
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
Lime won't try to get into an argument. He's well known on many OHL boards to be a troll Knights fan that will bait and then leave. I believe he has been banned on many of these sites.
With that said, would it be fair to characterize the Attack ad a bit of an underachieving team? And if so, who would be the best to blame for it? Management, Coaching or Players?
I see a roster that looks strong but doesn't seem to play to level of the sum of its parts.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:02 PM
  #29
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
With that said, would it be fair to characterize the Attack ad a bit of an underachieving team? And if so, who would be the best to blame for it? Management, Coaching or Players?
I see a roster that looks strong but doesn't seem to play to level of the sum of its parts.
All three.

Management mistakes I have detailed above. I have never ever been a fan of Stothers as a coach, he is too big of a discipline freak, does not produce good special teams systems, cannot mesh the forwards and defense into a 5 man unit the way certain teams like Guelph and Plymouth do and asks way too much of his defensemen at both ends of the ice.

Some players have not performed as expected, Theo Peckham and Bobby Sanguinetti have both regressed in their performance, although I believe too much is asked of our d-men as individuals. Often they take too many chances trying to make offensive plays and it can hurt us. Peckham especially makes too many ill advised pinches and his skating is not good enough to make up for it. It was clear at the beginning of the year that Sanguinetti had bulked up and had added a physical element to his game, but it is my belief that he put too much muscle on too quickly and that that has affected the strenghts of his game, his mobility and deftness with the puck.

For all his brilliance, Ryan has taken a couple nights off this year, and although it can be understood this team has literally no chance of winning if he is anything below 100%. He has really amped up his play lately though.

Lewis has been somewhat of a dissappointment offensively, I think although he has been a very consistent performer at both ends of the ice that expectations were too high on him too carry too big of an offensive load, and all the hype over his signing didn't help. He is a much much better player when not paired with Ryan, instead of waiting for set-ups he uses his speed and looks to create. But despite what many fans saw after a couple weeks, Lewis and Ryan were not split up until recently, with great effect.

The failure to establish a solid checking line has also hurt, at the moment Marcus Carroll, Derek Brochu and Marek Bartanus assume that role. Carroll is a pesky undersized centre but the other two are not a good fit. Brochu should be be nothing more than 4th liner and Marek often looks completely disinterested, especially at the defensive end. I am a big proponent of using Lewis's line as our checking line, especially against a team like London, who's first line has defensive issues. Not only is Lewis a fantastic defensive player, he and Simmonds could definitely force other team's top lines to play defense, not something players like Kane, Brophey, Oreskovich do with any entusiasm.

Tregunna has provided good secondary scoring but is a guy who feeds off others, instead of creating offence. Simmonds, one of the few pleasant surprises has been a real spark who always looks busy and has been a great fan favourite. I am sure he will get a look at in the draft.

Goaltending has been a problem. Neil Conway has the best numbers, the best winning percentage and is a favourite with his teammates. However, because he can tend to look very nervous and unorthodox in the crease, he has never gotten a fair chance with management. I had an ownership member tell me earlier in the season he never thought Neil Conway would be a starter in the OHL. Because of this lack of confidence, Three different overage goaltenders have been brought in. Scoot Bowles was a disaster, who had to live up to the pressure of replacing a big fan favourite(Igor) as an overager. Loic Lacasse never saw the ice with the team because of unreasonable money demands from his agent that I cannot believe Oshawa accepted. The panic button was well and truly pressed when management greatly overrated the talents of a mediocre goalie (Guadagnolo). He now had to play with the pressure of being acquired for our best yong player. He was given about 450 straight starts before Conway was spelled in again and has played at least aswell as Guads, which has some fans rumbling.

Pretty disfunctional season all in all, I feel very bad for Ryan that a better attempt could not have been made to give him a competitive shot at an OHL title, after all he has done for the franchise.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 01:06 AM
  #30
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
With that said, would it be fair to characterize the Attack ad a bit of an underachieving team? And if so, who would be the best to blame for it? Management, Coaching or Players?
I see a roster that looks strong but doesn't seem to play to level of the sum of its parts.
They aren't very impressive in goal at all, if you ever watch any of the game hi lites it seems like their goalies always give up atleast one soft goal per game. They have these whacky games where they get 60-70 SOG and lose.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
  #31
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
They aren't very impressive in goal at all, if you ever watch any of the game hi lites it seems like their goalies always give up atleast one soft goal per game. They have these whacky games where they get 60-70 SOG and lose.
But it's tough to blame on only goaltending aswell because like I said we definitely have defensemen that are interested more in the offensive side of the game and we obviously play under a system where the defensemen are instructed to take as may offensive chances as possible.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
  #32
instigator
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
All three.
Lewis has been somewhat of a dissappointment offensively, I think although he has been a very consistent performer at both ends of the ice that expectations were too high on him too carry too big of an offensive load, and all the hype over his signing didn't help. He is a much much better player when not paired with Ryan, instead of waiting for set-ups he uses his speed and looks to create. But despite what many fans saw after a couple weeks, Lewis and Ryan were not split up until recently, with great effect.

Lewis has been far from dissapointment. Stothers just does not know how to utilize his talents. Splitting up Ryan and Lewis was the best decision made by Stothers all year long. I won't play the what if game but Lewis' stats would be much higher if he wouldn't had been paired with Ryan. Lewis and Ryan just never gelled. And you can't blame them for that because they both gave a solid effort in trying to make the team great. And still are for that matter.



Pretty disfunctional season all in all, I feel very bad for Ryan that a better attempt could not have been made to give him a competitive shot at an OHL title, after all he has done for the franchise.

I think every attempt was made by bringing in quality players. What is sad is the coaching. Stothers coaching style does not fit those players that he coaches.

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:17 AM
  #33
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
But it's tough to blame on only goaltending aswell because like I said we definitely have defensemen that are interested more in the offensive side of the game and we obviously play under a system where the defensemen are instructed to take as may offensive chances as possible.
You and I had a discussion in the preseason and I know we both thought the Attack would be in the top two or three in the west.. I imagine this season has been a disappointment for you.

If the attack had their team from two years ago they would be eating up the OHL.. timing is everything I guess.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:43 AM
  #34
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
You and I had a discussion in the preseason and I know we both thought the Attack would be in the top two or three in the west.. I imagine this season has been a disappointment for you.
No kidding. I'm so sick of watching this team.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:26 PM
  #35
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
No kidding. I'm so sick of watching this team.
Nuff said - I'll send you a knights jersey via courier ASAP.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
  #36
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
Matthew Kang(53 points) for nothing.
Anton Hedman(17 goals) traded at the deadline for nothing.
Igor Gongalsky(18 goals) for nothing
Josh Bailey(60 points) for Anthony Guadagnolo(Below .500 with Owen Sound.)

And not just trades. We traded up in the import draft to get Tomas Kana, who was thought to be a lock to come over, and we traded an import at the deadline when they mistakenly thought he was coming over again.

Valuable overagers were dumped to bring in three different overage goalies, none of which played better than our original starter, Neil Conway.

We have 2 overagers and one import, and that can't be on a realistic contending team.

That's how management has basically destroyed the team this year.
Gongolsky was always terrible in OS. Howie Martin is much better than Hedman or Gongalsky

Bailey for Guads was a terrible trade for the franchise, but it doesn't hurt OS this year. Guads was great last year in Windsor and you need a goalie to have any shot. He was probably the best available.

Kang was traded before the season and it didn't have any effect on OS being the 'favourites' going into the season.

They should have held onto Hedman, an eigth round pick isn't worth losing his depth, but during the season they've brought in Reid, Oreskovich and Martin. Not to mention upgrading their goaltending. The only comparable talent they've given up was Bailey. They've bettered themselves over the course of the season and are now dry of draft picks in the future.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 04:19 PM
  #37
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
Nuff said - I'll send you a knights jersey via courier ASAP.
Ewwwwww.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:58 PM
  #38
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
Gongolsky was always terrible in OS.
Whatever. I know he was a crucial part of this team in many ways. Look at how our results bombed after he was traded.
Quote:
Howie Martin is much better than Hedman or Gongalsky

Bailey for Guads was a terrible trade for the franchise, but it doesn't hurt OS this year. Guads was great last year in Windsor and you need a goalie to have any shot. He was probably the best available.

Kang was traded before the season and it didn't have any effect on OS being the 'favourites' going into the season.

They should have held onto Hedman, an eigth round pick isn't worth losing his depth, but during the season they've brought in Reid, Oreskovich and Martin. Not to mention upgrading their goaltending. The only comparable talent they've given up was Bailey. They've bettered themselves over the course of the season and are now dry of draft picks in the future.
Ask yourself though...is an almost complete overhaul of the roster something that will benefit any team? Is it condusive to building a true team?

The Vancouver Giants have added big name after big name after big name..It's not working out great for them either.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
  #39
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
Nuff said - I'll send you a knights jersey via courier ASAP.
My cousin moved to London in the summer and I just saw him for the first time at the Bayshore last Sunday, with a big green Knights jersey on.

Traitor.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:34 PM
  #40
Superfly Jimmy Snuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Being a Gens fan, Igor has been great for us. Nobody works harder than Igor and never loses a battle along the boards..He may not be the most talented but hes a guy who is loved here in Oshawa and for a 15th rounder I cannot complain

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.