HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad?

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2014, 03:56 AM
Joey Bones
SO FRAT DUDE

vCash: 500
Yeah I'm just as confused with the placement of the pick as most of you are as well. I figured the website I posted earlier was incorrect.

I think we can get a 1st round either this year or hopefully next year, regarding on who we trade. I'd prefer it to be Nash, but who knows? Who cares? Game 7 baby!! LGR!!!!

Old
05-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
one win away from no first rounder!!
Given our trackrecord on 1st vs 2nd's, this might be a blessing in disguise!

Old
05-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I wouldn't be totally against it, but I'd expect much more than a 1st coming back.
A top 5 pick would be enough for me.

Old
05-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Fun fact: Adrian Kempe is one of the youngest with a September birthday close to the cutoff.

He has SHL experience already and is a budding playmaking PF.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Old
05-12-2014, 08:09 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
Fun fact: Adrian Kempe is one of the youngest with a September birthday close to the cutoff.

I like Kempe a lot. If the Rangers do not make history tomorrow, along with Larkin and Scherbak, Kempe would be a nice consolation prize.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I like Kempe a lot. If the Rangers do not make history tomorrow, along with Larkin and Scherbak, Kempe would be a nice consolation prize.
You'd think with his size and skill he wouldn't last that long. I'm hoping he does, he's one of my top faves as well if he's there when/if we have a first.

I'm going on record to say it'd be worth losing the pick to knockout the Pens after they were up 3-1.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'd be surprised to see Kempe available beyond #15. Kid has all the tools, and he could very well end up being a steal. Guys who can be a shutdown center while not being relegated to the 3rd line are a very hot commodity.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:19 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
You'd think with his size and skill he wouldn't last that long. I'm hoping he does, he's one of my top faves as well if he's there when/if we have a first.

I'm going on record to say it'd be worth losing the pick to knockout the Pens after they were up 3-1.
Given the torture they have given us the past 25 years, I agree.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be surprised to see Kempe available beyond #15. Kid has all the tools, and he could very well end up being a steal. Guys who can be a shutdown center while not being relegated to the 3rd line are a very hot commodity.
His playmaking skills are very nice too, good hands and finds open lanes.

Like Mauro said, he's also one of the youngest prospects in the draft, born Sept. 13th !

Old
05-13-2014, 02:03 PM
sweranger

Man if we loose our first rounder this year it means three years in a row without a first rounder

Old
05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweranger View Post
Man if we loose our first rounder this year it means three years in a row without a first rounder
4 outa 4

we drafted mcilrath in 2010 .

i kid i kid....

Old
05-14-2014, 03:50 AM
Joey Bones
SO FRAT DUDE

Well bad news is no 1st rounder, unless we trade up. Good news is ECF!!!

Old
05-14-2014, 06:07 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I guess the other thing is now it definitely would have been #26 at best. So there's that.

No chance of Kempe, Honka, Tuch, Milano at #26.

05-14-2014, 06:13 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

So, who do we like in the 2nd round?

Old
05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
sweranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
4 outa 4

we drafted mcilrath in 2010 .

i kid i kid....

Oh I see what you did there

Old
05-14-2014, 08:31 AM
sweranger

Quote:
There's a lot of good D prospects in the second round.

Jack Glover, Brycen Martin, Alexis Vanier, Alex Peters, Marcus Pettersson, Aaron Irving, Aaron Haydon

I really like both Alexis Vanier and Aaron Irving.

Old
05-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Julius Bergman piques my interest a bit. 6'1 and 197lbs. RHD with solid skating ability and very good on-ice awareness. Can rush the puck and make a nice outlet pass. I think there's some untapped offensive upside there.

This draft is wide open though. I think we'll see some sliders and surprise picks, so who knows who will be there when we pick?

Dysin Mayo and Aaron Irving are also two guys to keep an eye on as 3rd/4th rounders. Both play for the Oil Kings and both are righties. Irving is a physical D with a big shot who had a strong start offensively, but absolutely fell off the map in the 2nd half. Mayo was pretty even throughout the year, but had a very strong playoff run with 12 points in 15 games.

Last edited by Trxjw: 05-14-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old
05-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Alexis Vanier is a potential 2nd I'm interested in. Big, mobile, rough, offensive d-man.

05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Alexis Vanier is a potential 2nd I'm interested in. Big, mobile, rough, offensive d-man.
If he had any kind of mobility, he'd be a sure-fire top-20 pick. He's an absolutely dreadful skater and his balance isn't much better. Edge work is poor and his pivots are terrible. He's a total project. You'd really have to hope that his footwork is just a result of him growing into a huge frame too quickly.

I could see a team really rolling the dice on him in the 3rd, but I doubt he goes in the top-60.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Some names to throw out there:

NA: Vaclav Karabacek, speedy LW playing in QMJHL, Gavin Beyreuther, offensive LH Dman St Lawrence U, Brett Lernout, 6'4 tough RH Dman WHL, Travis Sanheim, big LH Dman WHL, Ryan Donato, LH Center headed to Harvard, Ryan Collins 6'5 RH Dman headed to U of Minn, Aaron Irving, RH Dman WHL, Luke Philp, two way RH Center, WHL.

Europe: Russian LW Vlad Kamenev, Three top Czech players Ondrej Case is a small scoring forward, Dominik Masin is a tough LH Dman, Pavel Jenys is a C/LW power forward.

Quote:
Julius Bergman piques my interest a bit. 6'1 and 197lbs. RHD with solid skating ability and very good on-ice awareness. Can rush the puck and make a nice outlet pass. I think there's some untapped offensive upside there.

This draft is wide open though. I think we'll see some sliders and surprise picks, so who knows who will be there when we pick?
If anyone slides I hope its Jakub Vrana, but that's just wishful thinking.

I like Bergman, big kid with nice skills. Add him and his Frolunda teammate William Lagesson as two possible 2nd/3rd round picks.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Quote:
If he had any kind of mobility, he'd be a sure-fire top-20 pick. He's an absolutely dreadful skater and his balance isn't much better. Edge work is poor and his pivots are terrible. He's a total project. You'd really have to hope that his footwork is just a result of him growing into a huge frame too quickly.

I could see a team really rolling the dice on him in the 3rd, but I doubt he goes in the top-60.
The games I've seen him his lateral strides weren't bad, maybe I just haven't watched him enough.

His balance is pathetic, you're right. Worse balance than Boyle. Also no acceleration to his game. He's a project but one I'd be willing to take on, moreso if he was right handed.

Still think his size keeps him in the 2nd round, maybe the 3rd.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:

NA: Vaclav Karabacek, speedy LW playing in QMJHL, Gavin Beyreuther, offensive LH Dman St Lawrence U, Brett Lernout, 6'4 tough RH Dman WHL, Travis Sanheim, big LH Dman WHL, Ryan Donato, LH Center headed to Harvard, Ryan Collins 6'5 RH Dman headed to U of Minn, Aaron Irving, RH Dman WHL, Luke Philp, two way RH Center, WHL.

Europe: Russian LW Vlad Kamenev, Three top Czech players Ondrej Case is a small scoring forward, Dominik Masin is a tough LH Dman, Pavel Jenys is a C/LW power forward.

If anyone slides I hope its Jakub Vrana, but that's just wishful thinking.

I like Bergman, big kid with nice skills. Add him and his Frolunda teammate William Lagesson as two possible 2nd/3rd round picks.
Karabacek is very interesting. Hot and cold, but when he's hot he looks like a first round pick pushing top 15.

I can count atleast three of those guys as most likely first rounders.

Funny, I don't even think people know Lernout is a first year draft eligible. No one ever talks about him with Honka there in Swift Current (Martin to a degree).

Old
05-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Ranger_Engineer
There are no windows

Quote:

How about Nick Magyar or Shane Eiserman in that group? Both have size and are reported to be good skaters.

I know the argument for not drafting for need, but I think they need to take a forward with their first pick.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Karabacek is very interesting. Hot and cold, but when he's hot he looks like a first round pick pushing top 15.

I can count atleast three of those guys as most likely first rounders.

Funny, I don't even think people know Lernout is a first year draft eligible. No one ever talks about him with Honka there in Swift Current (Martin to a degree).
I can take hot and cold with a young player, the allure is the skills, you bank on him getting his game together as he grows.

Who are your 3 ? Karabacek, Lernout, and Sanheim?

Old
05-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Engineer View Post
How about Nick Magyar or Shane Eiserman in that group? Both have size and are reported to be good skaters.

I know the argument for not drafting for need, but I think they need to take a forward with their first pick.
Magyer has a good chance of going in the first round. If not he'll be a top 15 for the 2nd round. When he has open space he burys the puck, excellent finisher and has a great feel from the faceoff circle in.

I could easily see Eiserman as our pick if he's there, he's headed to Gordie Clark's Alma mater U of New Hampshire.

Closed Thread