HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney's Future

Old
03-14-2007, 10:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Renney's Future

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zipay
In June 2002, Renney was promoted to Rangers vice president of player development. His input was used in drafting Tyutin, Prucha, Hollweg, Montoya, Staal.
Should he be relieved of his duties---and he has a contract for next season, according to Garden boss Jim Dolan---he'd probably be asked to return to a job of that type.
His track record of developing young players in Canada is long and in many cases, distinguished.
As this franchise tries to grow from within and this team slowly gets younger, the thought among some hockey folks in and out of the Garden is that Renney is valued and has a role if he so chooses.
Basically if the team misses the playoffs I think Renney is out as coach.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:57 PM
dank

i've wanted to ask this for a while, but didn't want to start its own thread..

who (honestly) would be better and available as coach if/when Renney gets fired?

I personally have no idea, i am asking for sagely advice..

Who? Why? Chances?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The big concern IMO is finding a coach who Jagr is willing to play for.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:59 PM
GarretJoseph*

i'll coach jagr.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:16 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

Basically if the team misses the playoffs I think Renney is out as coach.
Read it four times and still don't think it implies he's out if we miss the playoffs...it just says SHOULD HE or IF he is not retained as coach he will remain within the organization as he still has another year remaining on his contract.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:21 PM
stuart

the article is 3 yrs old

BTW his draft input looks to be pretty good.

the article is 3 yrs old. that is a lifetime ago...

the Rangers are playing the hardest they have played since the Messier glory days, Why? ANything to do with the coach????

stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:26 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
BTW his draft input looks to be pretty good.

the Rangers are playing the hardest they have played since the Messier glory days, Why? ANything to do with the coach????
Nah, it was posted today. How could it be three years old when it mentions Staal and Montoya?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
no, it's March 14, 2007

still I don't think it says/implies anything about Renney getting fired this summer

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:41 PM
stuart

I may be wrong

but I think it is a reprint of an earlier article..

I think the jury is out on Renny's fate if they do not make the playoffs...

we will see...

stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:43 PM
TheRedressor

Mike Keenan anyone?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:50 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Mike Keenan anyone?
no thank you!
believe it or not, i would rather barry melrose

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:41 AM
dank

Ugh, stomach churning ideas guys. Melrose and Keenan? Haha. What about Shanny behind the bench asap?

Maybe Adam Graves?

I told you, I have no clue.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Captain11

Its only year 3(?) of the rebuild. Renney is the right coach and Glen should stay the course with him. He should be able to see the fruits of his labor.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 01:59 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
i'll coach jagr.
ill assistant coach him... smack him up a bit

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
i've wanted to ask this for a while, but didn't want to start its own thread..

who (honestly) would be better and available as coach if/when Renney gets fired?

I personally have no idea, i am asking for sagely advice..

Who? Why? Chances?
Jim Schoenfeld.

Ive wanted him to coach this team for a while now. watch the pack play, they may not win every game, but they play almost 100% the way i would ideally like to see a team play. not that that means anything, but its my personal preference.

my other choice would be Scotty Bowman (duh) but since i dont see him coming out of retirement, and i cant imagine he and sather would work well together, i just dont think that would be ideal based on the current construction of the front office.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Jim Schoenfeld.

Ive wanted him to coach this team for a while now. watch the pack play, they may not win every game, but they play almost 100% the way i would ideally like to see a team play. not that that means anything, but its my personal preference.

my other choice would be Scotty Bowman (duh) but since i dont see him coming out of retirement, and i cant imagine he and sather would work well together, i just dont think that would be ideal based on the current construction of the front office.
Part of the reason Shoney's in Hartford is that he was uninterested in an NHL coaching job. If the Rangers had a GM position to offer him, I'm sure he'd be game, but I don't think he cares for another Head Coaching position in the NHL.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 04:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This is Steve Zipay's opinion.If you read his blog,Steve would have traded young assets and draft picks to make the 8th playoff spot.Before Zipay was assigned to cover the Rangers,he was the TV sports reporter for Newsday.I once questioned his credentials on the Rangers and he started telling me his resume

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 04:56 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

During Ranger's tenure in NY so far, I've grown from disliking the Rangers to liking them. (not a real "fan" by any means, my team is Buffalo, so a bit of neutral input...)

Renney's done an excellent job.
Like it or not, for the last 2 years this team has been competeing despite being low on talent, skill and players in their prime.
He's introduced Lundqvist, Tyutin, Prucha, Ortmeyer and Hollweg as full-time NHLers. (if you think a team should be producing more than 5 players in two seasons, you've got a problem).
He's also given Girardi a spot and was patient with Hodda when he needed to be.
He's used some guys over their heads and they've responded (probably best example is Rozsival).
Shanahan or no Shanahan, injuries or no injuires, last season's Ranger's team was BETTER. A lot of people understimated what Rucinsky, Sykora, Nieminen and Rucchin did. You also had a very good season from Kaspar compared to an awful one this season.
And Jagr wasn't coming off a bad shoulder injury.

Unless there are some issues with the managment or the players, I don't see any reason Renney shouldn't be back.

Last edited by Corto: 03-15-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Jim Schoenfeld.
With all due respect Inferno, its a completly diffrent game for a coach to be behind a bench full of players under 22, and to get them motivated, compared to the NHL.

Now I really like how Schoney have developed the kids down there. But to be honest, I don't think he got nearly the tactical understanding of the game that Renney got. Schoney is more old-time, and that got its advantages bringing up kids, since its more about the basics. But the diffrent between that style, and whats successful in the NHL right now is like night and day. All great teams, especially Anaheim, Buffalo and Nashville got really advanced systems.

I defenitly think that the tactical aspects are just as important for the future as beeing able to teach the kids, something I on the other hand think Renney are dooing a good job with.

Anyway, its so important that we can create our own identity here in NY. Just like Detroit got one, just like NJD got one. I know that allot of guys just want someone who can get the players to work hard. But IMO thats shortsighted, cause with that approch their will be 30 teams every year who at any time can challenge us. You need a platform that goes beyond hard work, like Devlis trap, like Detroits system, like Buffalo's transition game, like Anaheims extremely advanced and well drilled forecheck. Its when you got that plattform, which takes years to build, that you can be successful over a long period of time, and really establish yourself as a contender.

I know that allot of people are sceptical about what Renney are trying to build, but I am the complete opposite. He is aiming pretty high, but the outcome got potential to be great. And its defenitly not a "soft" system, Canada where never soft when Renney coached them. We got soft guys now, because we had to choose between leftovers, and it were either soft skilled players, or tough players that had no skill.

Their is actually more room for tough D's in Renney's system then there are in Lindy Ruff's Buffalo. Ruff system is based on extremely fast transition plays, and all his D's needs to be able to move the puck really fast. Renney's system is based on a smart center, and one offensive D, to get a safe transition game through the neutralzone, more like Detroit and Tampa then Buffalo. And got a really hard puckpursuite side when we get the puck down low, with the LW in a reallt special role where he is supposed to dart in first, force a east-west pass, and then be able to jolt back really fast when the center and RW comes in hard. Just recently, like after christmas, we have also started to make a choice too, when to forecheck, and when to trap. Which is great. If the option is to forecheck a D who got the puck under controll behind his own net with support in place, or to back off and trap, the later is better. Though, its also a example of how advanced it can be to inforce a system. Not only most the 5 guys on the ice be able to trapp as a unit, and forecheck as a unit, they have to be able to make the same decision wheter to trap or forecheck on the ice.

So for me, the system Renney are trying to install here, the platform he is trying to build, is enough alone for me to want him to stay. When he is done, then we can start talking about what coach is the best to motivate the team, or what coach is the best game coach.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 06:26 AM
pyattrocks*

Please. Renney is the right coach. Gimme a break. Renney has no clue and is about the worst coach you can have developing young talent. He ruined Dawes. He ruined Immonen. He'll try to ruin Dubinsky.

The Montoya pick was stupid. We already a very good goalie on the way. I'm quite sure he had nothing to do with Prucha. That was Rockstrom. Tyutin is OK. He's certainly not anything close that we were told he would be.

pyattrocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 06:53 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Part of the reason Shoney's in Hartford is that he was uninterested in an NHL coaching job. If the Rangers had a GM position to offer him, I'm sure he'd be game, but I don't think he cares for another Head Coaching position in the NHL.
Scheonfield turned down the Ranger headcoach job out of respect for Trottier... not because he doesn't want to coach in the bigs again.

This is the guy I want. He skates his team hard if they don't put in enough effort the night before. He doesn't try to be friends with his players, he just tries to make them better and get them to compete as hard as they can. I think Renney is too soft on his guys, he wants to be liked by everyone. Every one of the Wolfpack players that have come up this year look prepared... even moreso than some of our Rangers. In fact one of the reasons why I have been against Renney this season is that we came out of the gate wholey unprepared. We only recently started playing team defenese, we have only just begun to play with our heads. It's no coincidence that the fire Renney talk has subsided since then. It's not the record, it's the effort.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 07:22 AM
bleedrngrblue

My short list:
Schoenfeld
Craig McTavish
Larry Robinson
Robbie Ftorek

I don't know about availability, but those guys have alot to offer in my opinion.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 07:44 AM
n_a_c

Excellent post by Corto. I agree with most of what he said. I think the biggest reason why the Rangers were more talented last year was because Jagr was on fire for most of the season. Anyone remember the powerplay last year? It seems like half of them were simply passing the puck around to bide time, until they set up Jagr for a one timer, and it was a laser shot to the back of the net. Think about it - the opposing team & goaltender was simply unable to stop it, even though they expected it and had seen it on video tape dozens of times. I've never seen a Ranger player dominate like he did since Leetch in the early nineties.

Corto pointed out that 5 solid new rookies over 2 years is actually pretty impressive. I think it might be time to add Girardi to that list. Earlier on I was critical toward Renney about rookies, but it looks like Renney was right about Pock being a borderline player (based on his recent play and inability to raise his game). And I now think Renney was right about Immonen (it is clear to me that Immonen was lacking the intensity and involvement that Dubinsky is now demonstrating). I am still not sure why Dawes didn't stick or Callahan didn't get a longer look - but I think I might trust that Renney was right with them too.

So I really like Renney in some ways. I think he is an excellent coach between games - preparing players, saying the right thing to the media (unfortunately not in simple English - but I digress), and walking the tightrope of keeping all the players on the same page. Although they are playing better team defense, I think it is only slightly better with one exception - Lundqvist put on his crown after a few months of so-so play. All he has to do is make one more save per game to make the defense look stellar.

I do NOT think Renney should be fired. I want him to stay on as head coach. So I was very curious about what triggered Zipay's post.

I will list areas I still think Renney needs to improve on:
Ice time distribution and not rolling four lines. Early in the season, the 34 year olds and 38 year old were all getting too much ice time. I think pacing things just a bit would have been more prudent. I doubt it would have resulted in more losses, and perhaps the 34 year olds would now be in slightly better shape (although Shanahan's injury was unavoidable). He should have made it a higher priority to get a 4th line he could trust.
Changing the lines. It was infuriating that every week Shanahan had new linemates, and the constant churning of lines 2-4 resulted in little gelling between players. Finally, he came to his senses, discovered COP and broke up Jagr's line to balance things. He hasn't churned as much recently - and most of the churning is because of injuries.
Powerplay. This is Pearn's responsibility - but all too often it seems to me that the players don't have a plan out there for getting into the zone, or for setting up, or for what to do when they have control. Seems like there is not enough coaching and practicing. The powerplay is too important to us to not have a plan and stick to it. We don't have the skill to get by on creativity alone. Or perhaps we do - since the PP percentage is decent. But some good coaching & planning could really go a long way.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 07:48 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
The big concern IMO is finding a coach who Jagr is willing to play for.
Yeah hopefully he'll be happy on the team he gets traded to

In all seriousness, I don't think Renney's going to go. We do have a big leadership problem though, if we don't do well going foward, that needs to be addressed.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Ola

Mugerya- This is a very subjective issue, but haven't Renney been able to get this team to work really hard?

Renney not playing Dawes, Pck and Immonen is a fact, I personally have never been happy with our PP, especially not 5 on 3. Renney decided to play Prucha in a really small role untill he found his game.

I don't really agree that thoose were bad moves by Renney, but nobody can debate the existence of them.

But have Renney really not been able to get this team to work hard? I know that we are working extremely much harder then the teams we saw here for 3-10 years ago, but I also think we are working really hard compared to the teams we go up against. Ted Nolan certainly saw his healty side get worked out by wounded Renney team. I belive that many times we have blown a 2 goal lead, its been beacause we faced a better team but came out of the gates extremely hard, which got us the lead in the first place, before the other team were able to get their legs moving.

There are no right or wrongs in this subject, but my opinion is that they have worked really hard all season. Early the defense struggled mightly, Lundqvist struggled, our offense struggled, all thoose aspects made us a mess, though I defenitly didn't feel that it were a result of workethic. Now it seems like we are working extremely hard all nights. All teams have a some bad days, like the game against Philly, though thoose nights happend to everyone.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote