HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Nylander Stall (and other self-defeated rushes)

Old
03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Shadowtron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
That's the answer...stop supporting the team. That's the way to get it done.

Not for nothing, but just becuase i'm a newbie, dosen't mean i'm not going to voice my opinion here...or try to bring something to the table... And from the looks at some of the responses, I can clearly see that some others here also share some of my views and opinions on the team. But whatever, since you graced my newbie post with a response from such a Ranger guru like yourself, maybe you can shed a little light on it, and let the new guy here understand what good can possibly come out of the Garden booing a the team in thier own building at a crucial point of the game?

Now on the team being poorly constructed, I don't agree. The main reason this team is on the outside looking in right now is a combination of poor goaltending early in the season, and injuries late in the season.

I actually liked the direction the club was headed. The wanted a more North American presence, they wanted to be more physical, and they wanted to add more scoring in the 2nd and 3rd lines. Enter Brendan Shannahan, Matt Cullen, and Aaron Ward. Considering they have to play under the cap space I thought they did a decent job of bringing in players that could help the club. Shanny totally helped to take the scoring load off of the first line. Ward started out great, but didn't show any of the moxy he did in the cup run with Carolina where he hit everything in sight. He didn't fit into the system for whatever reason, but it's not for lack of effort. The guy has three rings, and came as a fairly cheap date $2,800,000. I'd take that gamble anyday if I was Sather. For Cullen he has been hot and cold...much like he has his whole career. He tried to address the lack of a physical presence on the blueline via free agency, but it didn't happen. Boston was willing to totally overpay for Chara. Sather IMO did a decent job of constructing the team though. The response wasen't what they planned, but even with that once again the club is still very much in a position to make the 8th spot. As a fan and supporter i'm not willing to throw up my hands in ths air quit. Maybe that's your reaction, but to me i still support them, and I still think it shows no class in booing a team that is totally banged up with injuries and fighting for thier lives to stay alive.
"Not for nothing, but just becuase i'm a newbie, dosen't mean i'm not going to voice my opinion here...or try to bring something to the table..."

I dunno, 7 posts in and you're already calling people classless seems a hideous breach of forum etiquette. Some of those faceless fans whom you've so broadly painted a picture of are decent members of this board and just as loyal despite all their Evil Booing.

"And from the looks at some of the responses, I can clearly see that some others here also share some of my views and opinions on the team."

And that's all fine and Jim-Dandy that you don't boo or that others feel the same way. Please understand I don't have a problem with THAT opinion at all. More power to you. What bothered me is the fanboy snobbery that anyone who voices displeasure in the form of a boo is a classless human being. We're talking about a game here. Are you this heavy-handed when you've watched a bad movie, or have eaten a poorly cooked meal? Do you choke the mess down and call the other diners classless for wanting something better? And isn't that really what the booing boils down to? Fans wanting something better? You may have a different philosophy about that, but I certainly don't think it makes anyone classless or disgraceful.

"...from such a Ranger guru like yourself."

Oh stop with this sarcastic baby crap. It's the equivalent of sucking your thumb and pouting. I've never professed to being a Rangers guru. I just voiced my displeasure over a few of your broader strokes of ignorance.

"I still think it shows no class in booing a team that is totally banged up with injuries and fighting for thier lives to stay alive."

And I think that's an absurdly ignorant and juvenile assessment.

Last edited by Shadowtron: 03-14-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Look, these guys are wizards with the puck, especially Nylander. On nights were they convert they are great to watch, sometimes the best and most entertaining line in the entire NHL. On other nights they dont convert they look out of place, mistimed and predictable.
HockeyBased, you are a smart guy. Think about it, is that really the case?

Take the game against Pittsburgh for example. Nylander and Jagr didn't convert, they didn't shoot the puck. But what did Crosby accomplish the first two periods? He went up against Nylander-Jagr, and were completly taken out of the game 5 on 5.

We are talking about the most dominant player in the game.

I think its very shortsighted to say that a line that can do that are completly out of plaec, mistimed and predictble. I think its a great accomplishments, something Madden and Pandolfo for example haven't been able to come close to do against Pittsburgh.

Last season, that fact were used as a argument by many for why our defense could do so well, despite their lack of talent. Now that have completle been lose in the hunt for scapegoats.

If you go with all north-south players, you will have to play defense for allot more time, since you basically ends up exchanging offensive scoring chances with the other team.

Having these so called east-west players have certainly helped, Detroit, NJD, Dallas, Tampa and Carolina in their hunt for success.

The best way to play defense is to play offense.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Once again... his OPINION is that booing is classless , where do I say I agree 100% with anything. Read the original post I made to his . I stated , I agree here somewhat......
take a look...its there in black and white.
And that opinion is an insult to every fan who doesn't fall in line with his thinking. And your okay with that? That act of booing is performed by people. By fans who have probably been going to Rangers games while he was still a red smear on his mother's maxi-pad. I don't think coming here and telling people they're classless is a good thing and it's a terrible Opinion. And that's my issue. But since I don't fall in line with that, my hand gets slapped. If I concurred and said people who boo are definitely classless you wouldn't have had two words to say about it. So put your insistance and quotes away and learn to respect an opinion that isn't rah-rah-sis-boom-bah-rangers. I think it was wrong for him to call people classless for voicing their displeasure over a hesitant PP and another blown lead. I think it was snobbish and insulting to say the very least.

Old
03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
And that opinion is an insult to every fan who doesn't fall in line with his thinking. And your okay with that? That act of booing is performed by people. By fans who have probably been going to Rangers games while he was still a red smear on his mother's maxi-pad. I don't think coming here and telling people they're classless is a good thing and it's a terrible Opinion. And that's my issue. But since I don't fall in line with that, my hand gets slapped. If I concurred and said people who boo are definitely classless you wouldn't have had two words to say about it. So put your insistance and quotes away and learn to respect an opinion that isn't rah-rah-sis-boom-bah-rangers. I think it was wrong for him to call people classless for voicing their displeasure over a hesitant PP and another blown lead. I think it was snobbish and insulting to say the very least.
Did you not notice the somewhat...? Did you not read my post at all..? If you did we wouldn't be continuing this at all. I understand where the booing comes from. I am a transplanted New Yorker, only left about a year ago. To make matters worse, I was born in Brooklyn, raised a Ranger fan, and moved to the suburbs of Long Island in 1974. I know the frustrations of this organization, I know all about the ton of frontrunner Islander fans,and the crap I put up with from friends and aquaintances alike during the late 70's and early 80's. I know what it is to be a broken hearted Ranger fan! I think I went out of my way to explain in my post why the booing is so prevalent now, in DEFENSE of the boo birds, even if I am not in total agreement with them. You seem to have this feeling that it is an us vs them mentality in Lion's post. I don't get that at all, and i think any poster, should at least give him the respect to express his feelings without being attacked for them. You don't have to agree, but man ...lighten up! He's not calling ANYONE , anything!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
"Not for nothing, but just becuase i'm a newbie, dosen't mean i'm not going to voice my opinion here...or try to bring something to the table..."

I dunno, 7 posts in and you're already calling people classless seems a hideous breach of forum etiquette. Some of those faceless fans whom you've so broadly painted a picture of are decent members of this board and just as loyal despite all their Evil Booing.

"And from the looks at some of the responses, I can clearly see that some others here also share some of my views and opinions on the team."

And that's all fine and Jim-Dandy that you don't boo or that others feel the same way. Please understand I don't have a problem with THAT opinion at all. More power to you. What bothered me is the fanboy snobbery that anyone who voices displeasure in the form of a boo is a classless human being. We're talking about a game here. Are you this heavy-handed when you've watched a bad movie, or have eaten a poorly cooked meal? Do you choke the mess down and call the other diners classless for wanting something better? And isn't that really what the booing boils down to? Fans wanting something better? You may have a different philosophy about that, but I certainly don't think it makes anyone classless or disgraceful.

"...from such a Ranger guru like yourself."

Oh stop with this sarcastic baby crap. It's the equivalent of sucking your thumb and pouting. I've never professed to being a Rangers guru. I just voiced my displeasure over a few of your broader strokes of ignorance.

"I still think it shows no class in booing a team that is totally banged up with injuries and fighting for thier lives to stay alive."

And I think that's an absurdly ignorant and juvenile assessment.
Who's on the soapbox now? Are you the designated PP booers union rep around here or something? Are you running for office?

I don't know what I like better...the king of sarcasm telling me to stop with the sarcastic baby crap...or the Jim-Dandy, Heavy-handed, fanboy snobbery jargon you throw into your posts.

The reality of it is in all your ranting and raving which is clearly more of a hazing on the new guy than anything else. I attempted to bring a hockey discussion into your response on the way the team was constructed, but you were too busy trying to rip apart my post than anything else. But it doesn't matter, I still feel boooing this team is classless. It's my opinion, and if I offended any of you boo'ers by saying that then maybe you can speak up for yourselves rather than having the boo union rep handle the matter.

and you still haven't answered my question..."what good can possibly come out of the Garden booing a the team in thier own building at a crucial point of the game?"

I guess that's cause you are too busy trying to bust my balls.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
You seem to have this feeling that it is an us vs them mentality in Lion's post. I don't get that at all, and i think any poster, should at least give him the respect to express his feelings without being attacked for them. You don't have to agree, but man ...lighten up! He's not calling ANYONE , anything!
"You seem to have this feeling that it is an us vs them mentality in Lion's post."

Absolutely not. My feeling is that it's single minded and insulting to call people classless 'for expressing their feelings'. Whether he finds it counterproductive or not, he should at least give them the "respect to express [their] feelings without being attacked for them." That's all. He's calling anyone who has booed this team a classless human being. A lot of these boo-birds are members of this forum. Do you think the majority of the members here are classless? I don't think so.

"i think any poster, should at least give him the respect to express his feelings without being attacked for them."

I agree. But when they make woefully ignorant remarks they should be called out onto the carpet and be accountable for them.

"You don't have to agree, but man ...lighten up! He's not calling ANYONE , anything!"

You initiated this discussion, man! I didn't quote you! I told him to get off the high horse and you've been slapping my hand ever since.

Old
03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
You need to stop with the negativity! No one put a gun to your head and forced you to read it and agree with him. You have the option to disagree, you don't have the right to belittle his opinion or anyone else's.
I think we can clearly see I started nothing with this comment....all I wanted was to not have to be reading these personal attacks that seem to crop up whenever the team has a bad game...and sure as shet, you went there. I don't know you from a hole in the wall....I have no axe to grind...and i believe that if nothing else, in a world where the word respect has been forgotten most of the time, the least we can do is respect each others posts. I don't know how many times I have to say it...but you are free to post your opinion without belittling someone elses. You don't have to agree, but respect what others have to say, and I don't think anyone here is going to side against me on this except you.

How is disagreeing with your condescending attitude towards lion slapping your hand?

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Who's on the soapbox now? Are you the designated PP booers union rep around here or something? Are you running for office?

I don't know what I like better...the king of sarcasm telling me to stop with the sarcastic baby crap...or the Jim-Dandy, Heavy-handed, fanboy snobbery jargon you throw into your posts.

The reality of it is in all your ranting and raving which is clearly more of a hazing on the new guy than anything else. I attempted to bring a hockey discussion into your response on the way the team was constructed, but you were too busy trying to rip apart my post than anything else. But it doesn't matter, I still feel boooing this team is classless. It's my opinion, and if I offended any of you boo'ers by saying that then maybe you can speak up for yourselves rather than having the boo union rep handle the matter.

and you still haven't answered my question..."what good can possibly come out of the Garden booing a the team in thier own building at a crucial point of the game?"

"Who's on the soapbox now? Are you the designated PP booers union rep around here or something? Are you running for office?"

Nope. I told you to get off the soapbox, was called to task for it and responded. I didn't just spit an un-requested sermon onto the board telling people who think or act certain way are classless.

"I don't know what I like better...the king of sarcasm telling me to stop with the sarcastic baby crap...or the Jim-Dandy, Heavy-handed, fanboy snobbery jargon you throw into your posts."

Well let me know when you figure it out.

"The reality of it is in all your ranting and raving which is clearly more of a hazing on the new guy than anything else."

I'm not ranting or raving. I made one comment to you and was ready to walk away. But since I was more or less asked to express myself further, I have. I'm not hazing you, hell, I'm not even angry with you. I just thought it a bit rude for a new member of the board to come on here preaching a fan philosophy that includes insulting anyone who doesn't agree with it. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

"I attempted to bring a hockey discussion into your response on the way the team was constructed, but you were too busy trying to rip apart my post than anything else."

Because I'm not interested in your feelings about the team or how/why you don't boo. That's not the discussion you and I are having.

"But it doesn't matter, I still feel boooing this team is classless. It's my opinion, and if I offended any of you boo'ers by saying that then maybe you can speak up for yourselves rather than having the boo union rep handle the matter."

It's not classless. It's an expression of sentiment. Calling people classless for doing so is...classless. Do you always need more than one person to convince that perhaps your comment was a tad insulting?

"what good can possibly come out of the Garden booing a the team in thier own building at a crucial point of the game?"

What answer would you like me to give? It relieves fan stress. It lets management know that the fans are unhappy with the product. It lets the players know they're playing poorly. And I'm willing to bend and say it tightens up the players, makes them nervous. But neither cheering nor booing has had a profound affect on this team one way or the other. If success was measured by the volume of our voices, I'm sure there'd have been more than 4 Cups in the Rangers rich 80 year history.

Old
03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Chimp

Quote:
What answer would you like me to give? It relieves fan stress. It lets management know that the fans are unhappy with the product. It lets the players know they're playing poorly. And I'm willing to bend and say it tightens up the players, makes them nervous. But neither cheering nor booing has had a profound affect on this team one way or the other. If success was measured by the volume of our voices, I'm sure there'd have been more than 4 Cups in the Rangers rich 80 year history.
I can tell you what booing your own team does. It makes the players play even worse.

An athlete that performs poorly is perfectly aware of this fact all by himself (they are the first to know and admit it). He doesn't need his coach to tell him that, or his teammates, or his fans. It's better if the coach helps him play better, better if his teammates give him positive feedback and better if the fans show their support, especially when the team needs it the most, which is in bad situations. Here, the team receives the exact opposite, it's worse than playing away with at least the other teams fans hacking on you (but mostly supporting their own team).

It's doesn't require rocket science to figure out why Toronto and Rangers have a better away record than they have a home record (which they are quite alone with in the league). Both are known to have hardcore fans, which makes winning at home harder instead of easier.

Players like Malik and others who had bad stretches would probably have jumped out of it much faster if the fans wouldn't have tried to push him dow through the floor all the time. It's no secret Weekes almost never plays at home, since his own crowd seems to want him to fail (and hence also the team).

If Rangers fans are comfortable with watching their team lose at home and watch them win on TV instead, continue to boo and hack on them when they need the support.

How can it be worth more satisfaction to make your own players feel like **** and fail, than it is to watch them make a comeback and win?

If you was a player and was struggling, would you like your teammates and fans to tell you "Come on, we know you can do this, let's go!" or "Quit playing you bum, I hate you!"?

Last edited by Chimp: 03-14-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I can tell you what booing your own team does. It makes the players play even worse.

An athlete that plays poorly is perfectly aware of this fact all by himself. He doesn't need his coach to tell him that, or his teammates, or his fans. It's better if the coach helps him play better, better if his teammates give him positive feedback and better if the fans show their support, especially when the team needs it the most, which is in bad situations. Here, the team receives the exact opposite, it's worse than playing away with at least the other teams fans hacking on you (but mostly supporting their own team).

It's doesn't require rocket science to figure out why Toronto and Rangers have a better away record than they have a home record (which they are quite alone with in the league). Both are known to have hardcore fans, which makes winning at home harder instead of easier.

If Rangers fans are comfortable with watching their team lose at home and watch them win on TV instead, continue to boo and hack on them.

I think alot of it stems from the state this team has been in the last 10 years than anything else. People are overreactive to the situation, anticipating more of the same old, same old. However, while I agree that fan reaction can have an effect, I don't fully buy into it having a profound impact. If the team is poorly built, it's poorly built. While I fully agree with your opinion, Chimp, I can respect it.

Old
03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
How can it be worth more satisfaction to make your own players feel like **** and fail, than it is to watch them make a comeback and win?

If you was a player and was struggling, would you like your teammates and fans to tell you "Come on, we know you can do this, let's go!" or "Quit playing you bum, I hate you!"?
"How can it be worth more satisfaction to make your own players feel like **** and fail, than it is to watch them make a comeback and win?"

Booing is self serving. When the team is playing like crap fans are going to vent. However, I'm not a vocal person. I don't go to the game screaming, one way or the other. I raise my arms in celebration when they score and spend the rest of the time just watching. But I don't think a fan, who has paid money to see their team play, expressing displeasure by booing a team that is underperforming should be the kiss of death for that team. I know NY fans can be tough, but it isn't like it's endless booing whether they win or lose. Some players are singled out during the season, but the emotional content of the arena changes with the tides. When the Rangers are playing well the Garden is electric, when they aren't it's a tomb full of howling ghosts. It's the way it is. What can you do?

"If you was a player and was struggling, would you like your teammates and fans to tell you "Come on, we know you can do this, let's go!" or "Quit playing you bum, I hate you!"?

No I wouldn't like it. But it's part and parcel to being a professional athlete. There are certain careers that come with less than savory elements that have to be dealt with. Yeah, it'd be great to ride upon the fans' shoulders whether I win or lose, perform well or poorly, but that's just not realistic. And I would hope these professionals know this and have the intestinal fortitude to play through it.

Last edited by Shadowtron: 03-14-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old
03-14-2007, 03:41 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

You need to settle down, While alot of what you said may or may not be true, its been said here b4 time and time again.

Time for the thread to be closed.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
"Who's on the soapbox now? Are you the designated PP booers union rep around here or something? Are you running for office?"

Nope. I told you to get off the soapbox, was called to task for it and responded. I didn't just spit an un-requested sermon onto the board telling people who think or act certain way are classless.

"I don't know what I like better...the king of sarcasm telling me to stop with the sarcastic baby crap...or the Jim-Dandy, Heavy-handed, fanboy snobbery jargon you throw into your posts."

Well let me know when you figure it out.

"The reality of it is in all your ranting and raving which is clearly more of a hazing on the new guy than anything else."

I'm not ranting or raving. I made one comment to you and was ready to walk away. But since I was more or less asked to express myself further, I have. I'm not hazing you, hell, I'm not even angry with you. I just thought it a bit rude for a new member of the board to come on here preaching a fan philosophy that includes insulting anyone who doesn't agree with it. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

"I attempted to bring a hockey discussion into your response on the way the team was constructed, but you were too busy trying to rip apart my post than anything else."

Because I'm not interested in your feelings about the team or how/why you don't boo. That's not the discussion you and I are having.

"But it doesn't matter, I still feel boooing this team is classless. It's my opinion, and if I offended any of you boo'ers by saying that then maybe you can speak up for yourselves rather than having the boo union rep handle the matter."

It's not classless. It's an expression of sentiment. Calling people classless for doing so is...classless. Do you always need more than one person to convince that perhaps your comment was a tad insulting?

"what good can possibly come out of the Garden booing a the team in thier own building at a crucial point of the game?"

Well thank God the fans get to relieve stress. Fan stress release is far more important than a team trying it make it into the playoffs. In fact maybe the fans should just start booing as soon as the Rangers step onto the ice instead of the opposing team. I mean how great would that stress relief be?

"And I'm willing to bend and say it tightens up the players, makes them nervous."

The fact that you somewhat agree that booing your team does nothing good is what really makes me scratch my head. You'll take the time to critisize me, rip through my post, and try to knock me off the so called "soapbox" for saying something that you somewhat agree with???? So again, is it becuase I was the new guy, or were you really offended that I said i was classless to boo?

And for the record, i never tried to come in here and preach Ranger fan ediquette, but instead came here to talk hockey with Ranger fans. That is what this place is for correct?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
mattyd99

This whole forum has turned into trench warfare. I can't imagine what this place is going to be the last 2 games of the year and we're on the edge like right now. I'm not coming in here anymore without grenades, a bulletproof vest and full ammo.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:02 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
This whole forum has turned into trench warfare. I can't imagine what this place is going to be the last 2 games of the year and we're on the edge like right now. I'm not coming in here anymore without grenades, a bulletproof vest and full ammo.
Hey man if you are gonna come, come heavy or dont come at all, Thats what I always say!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:18 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

He plays an east-west game in which he over-handles the puck, doesn't shoot, doesn't backcheck, and doesn't score. Overall, he is a soft, one-dimensional floater, who if it wasn't for Jagr wouldn't be scoring as much as he has.I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but too much credit is being given here. While he's played well this season, and is on pace for a career year, Nylander's defensive deficiences, and his overhandling of the puck have shown up more than ever with Jagr doing the same. Straka has carried that line all year, the man knows how to play, and gives it his all with a hurt shoulder, every damn night.

Why can't those two assclowns take a lesson from Straka and learn how to give a **** about the team?

Nevermind, if Jagr was told that, he would cry, and not play anymore. The guy has no heart, no guts, is soft, selfish, and egotistical. What a piss-poor excuse for a captain.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 06:44 AM
westley23j

Quote:
You need to stop with the negativity! No one put a gun to your head and forced you to read it and agree with him. You have the option to disagree, you don't have the right to belittle his opinion or anyone else's.
i totally agree. shadowtron, i bet you are one of those skinny little hockey fans who always got tossed around in the corners so you are angry and take it out on message boards. way to go

westley23j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Well thank God the fans get to relieve stress. Fan stress release is far more important than a team trying it make it into the playoffs. In fact maybe the fans should just start booing as soon as the Rangers step onto the ice instead of the opposing team. I mean how great would that stress relief be?

"And I'm willing to bend and say it tightens up the players, makes them nervous."

The fact that you somewhat agree that booing your team does nothing good is what really makes me scratch my head. You'll take the time to critisize me, rip through my post, and try to knock me off the so called "soapbox" for saying something that you somewhat agree with???? So again, is it becuase I was the new guy, or were you really offended that I said i was classless to boo?

And for the record, i never tried to come in here and preach Ranger fan ediquette, but instead came here to talk hockey with Ranger fans. That is what this place is for correct?

"Well thank God the fans get to relieve stress. Fan stress release is far more important than a team trying it make it into the playoffs. In fact maybe the fans should just start booing as soon as the Rangers step onto the ice instead of the opposing team. I mean how great would that stress relief be?"

I won't be addressing the sarcasm any longer. So save it for someone else. That's not to say I won't provide my own brand of sarcasm, I just won't be responding to yours.

"The fact that you somewhat agree that booing your team does nothing good is what really makes me scratch my head. You'll take the time to critisize me, rip through my post, and try to knock me off the so called "soapbox" for saying something that you somewhat agree with???? So again, is it becuase I was the new guy, or were you really offended that I said i was classless to boo?"

No I somewhat agree that booing can have an adverse reaction; however, I question its profundity. What I DON'T agree with is the Sacred Cow speech about Nylander and your position that people who boo are classless. I have a problem with soapbox sermons, and find it particularly irksome when it's coming from a new member. You've barely been here long enough to have a cup of coffee yet here you are lecturing us about the proper way to show fan support. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, but that's certainly the way it came off. On this board, tone is everything. We're not sitting across from each other. I can't hear your words; I can't see your face. Here the most well intentioned post can easily come off seeming snotty and/or mean-spirited.

"And for the record, i never tried to come in here and preach Ranger fan ediquette, but instead came here to talk hockey with Ranger fans."

Well, telling people that they have no business criticizing Nylander and that booing at a home game is disgraceful and classless kind of contradicts that.
I'm not trying to get you to change your opinion. I disagree with it, but respect it as such. However, I do believe that some things are better left unsaid. Coming on here and telling people they're classless makes that list, IMO.

Old
03-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
Over watching the past few games, I've become frustrated with this:

Turnover in neutral zone. Nylander takes puck on rush. Instead of shooting or passing to take a chance, he does a biggggg slow 360 as the defense gets re-adjusted. I know this gives the Rangers more time to set up, but it also gives more time to a defense or goalie that may have been caught off guard by the quick rush. I usually notice this with Nylander, but Jagr and Straka have done the same...

Thoughts?
Gretzky did this all the time and many others copied it. Rather than take a long, off angle, unscreened shot he's waiting for a play to develop. He doesn't have a world class shot able to beat goalies with a clean slapper so he's looking for help.

I agree with Lion, he does much more good than bad. I think he's an asset 99% of the time but the other 1% does make you want to scratch your head. Like his tendancy to carry the puck right in front of Lundqvist or his refusal to shoot when he's 2 feet away from the goalie or his seemingly disinterest backchecking. I think those criticisms are fair but I keep in mind, he does a lot more good than bad.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Ola

Shadow- Wow, I think you just broke a word per day record at HF, thats a ton of long posts...

Does Nylander do more good then bad? Thats not even up for discussion, I mean seriously, imagine if we didn't have him. Even when we have lost him for only a period we have struggled mightly.

We can talk about if he should be brought back or not, though lets keep it within some reasonable limits. The game of Hockey is about winning, Nylander aren't scoring a ton of goals on his own, he might reach 25, but he is a winner. He gets the other team to focus on defense, and very little goals are scored on us when he are on the ice.

He is actually working as one of the best shutdown centers in the league, its really seldom that our 1st line have any problem matched against any other 1st line in the league, they often get out on plus. All 3 of them are also among the top in the league in scoring. I remember that there are 30 teams in the league, if you got 3 players among the top 30, you got 3x league avg.

If we had two lines like our 1st, we would defenitly be the contender in this league.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:21 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Gretzky did this all the time and many others copied it. Rather than take a long, off angle, unscreened shot he's waiting for a play to develop. He doesn't have a world class shot able to beat goalies with a clean slapper so he's looking for help.
Tell John Vanbiesbrouck that.

He's probably still having nightmares from Game 4 in 1997.

Quote:
I agree with Lion, he does much more good than bad. I think he's an asset 99% of the time but the other 1% does make you want to scratch your head. Like his tendancy to carry the puck right in front of Lundqvist or his refusal to shoot when he's 2 feet away from the goalie or his seemingly disinterest backchecking. I think those criticisms are fair but I keep in mind, he does a lot more good than bad.
He doesn't do that much more good than bad, and the bad is what's killing us right now. Too much passing, too little shots, too little attention to defense from our forwards, too little of an effort, no players in front of the net. I mean that was the first time that I can remember Jagr and Nylander mucking in front of or around the net furiously like that. Maybe if they did that on most nights, we'd be in a better position.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Tell John Vanbiesbrouck that.

He's probably still having nightmares from Game 4 in 1997.

He doesn't do that much more good than bad, and the bad is what's killing us right now. Too much passing, too little shots, too little attention to defense from our forwards, too little of an effort, no players in front of the net. I mean that was the first time that I can remember Jagr and Nylander mucking in front of or around the net furiously like that. Maybe if they did that on most nights, we'd be in a better position.
Regarding the slapshot, I was talking about Nylander.

You have to take the bad with the good and my opinion is he does a lot more good. You disagree and I respect that. I think he's very good at puck possession, underrated along the boards, produces offense, and he is able to play against other team's top players. He's not a shutdown guy by any means, quite the opposite really, his defense is a good offense.

Sometimes I think people hate him because he's not perfect.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:32 AM
NYROrtsFan

That is the joke of it all... Some fans try to defend it as he's a crap player when it just comes down to the fact that he plays a style that some people dont like.

Bottom line is he makes very little, is a point per game player and although sometimes it doesnt work, a good number of those slow 360's break down the defense and cause good scoring chances when he dishes it off.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
chosen

Nylander is by far our best player at gaining the offensive zone. I don't even know who might be second.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Shadow- Wow, I think you just broke a word per day record at HF, thats a ton of long posts...